Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nerve? Pain Down There During and Post Ride
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

First time posting anything here. I have been riding for 10 years and suddenly have developed pretty intense pain in the saddle area during but, mostly post ride. It feels like a carpet burn but there is no visible injury to the area. I've had saddle sores before and while they feel similar, I've always been able to see them. I've gone to a dermatologist about it and she agrees that she does not see anything on the skin and thinks its nerve damage. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I've been prescribed some nerve blockers but it hasn't improved things. Other information that may be helpful to know: I've had the same saddle for 2 years and only just developed this about 4 months ago, I primarily ride on the trainer, riding on a tri bike, the carpet burn-like feeling lasts generally the entire day and keeps me from being able to wear underwear. I have a race coming up in September and I literally can't stand riding my bike. Any thoughts appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Nerve? Pain Down There During and Post Ride [Sabz17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought is to change saddles and see if it helps. You have enough time to get into a demo program and try several. A place to start is with a saddle that fits radically differently than the one you’re on now.

Getting weight redistributed may help.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sabz17 wrote:
Hi there,

First time posting anything here. I have been riding for 10 years and suddenly have developed pretty intense pain in the saddle area during but, mostly post ride. It feels like a carpet burn but there is no visible injury to the area. I've had saddle sores before and while they feel similar, I've always been able to see them. I've gone to a dermatologist about it and she agrees that she does not see anything on the skin and thinks its nerve damage. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I've been prescribed some nerve blockers but it hasn't improved things. Other information that may be helpful to know: I've had the same saddle for 2 years and only just developed this about 4 months ago, I primarily ride on the trainer, riding on a tri bike, the carpet burn-like feeling lasts generally the entire day and keeps me from being able to wear underwear. I have a race coming up in September and I literally can't stand riding my bike. Any thoughts appreciated!

If it is nerve pain, it's due to pressure on the nerve whilst riding (like pins and needles if you sit on your foot for a while). Nerve blockers won't prevent that, all they might do is stop you feeling the irritation. You need to relieve the pressure - new saddle, new shorts, different saddle position etc. Bike fit?
Last edited by: Island: Aug 7, 21 13:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help but this sounds awful! I hope you get it sorted out. Please let us know if you come up with a solution.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What saddle are you currently using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi there,

First time posting anything here. I have been riding for 10 years and suddenly have developed pretty intense pain in the saddle area during but, mostly post ride. It feels like a carpet burn but there is no visible injury to the area. I've had saddle sores before and while they feel similar, I've always been able to see them. I've gone to a dermatologist about it and she agrees that she does not see anything on the skin and thinks its nerve damage. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I've been prescribed some nerve blockers but it hasn't improved things. Other information I found at wetten that may be helpful to know: I've had the same saddle for 2 years and only just developed this about 4 months ago, I primarily ride on the trainer, riding on a tri bike, the carpet burn-like feeling lasts generally the entire day and keeps me from being able to wear underwear. I have a race coming up in September and I literally can't stand riding my bike. Any thoughts appreciated!

If the nerve blockers did not help, you should speak to your doctor right away. There are different nerve blockers available and some just may not work for you.
Quote Reply