Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sending these emails to the shockjock and his boss is basically asking them to police themselves. They've already shown they have no character or sense of human decency. I don't think it will be effective.

The only impact they will react to is their bankroll.
Identify who their advertisers are. That's where the emails and letters need to go.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who are the show's sponsors?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]who are the show's sponsors?[/reply]

That is how you deal with people like this. Never go after them personally since that is what they want. Attack the sponsors and I guarantee you will get your desired effect.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Attack the sponsors and I guarantee you will get your desired effect."

oh, heck yes. let's see who the advertisers are. there are a LOT of places they can put their money. is the sort of programming they want to endorse? if so, i wonder whether a slowtwitch reader boycott can more than overcome whatever converts the shock jock makes? i guarantee this is the sort of thing an advertiser would like to know about.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a list of sponsors for the radio station can be found at

http://www.760kfmb.com/advertisers/index.php

please let these sponsors know how you feel about their support of this type of programming
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [poncehatford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"http://www.760kfmb.com/advertisers/index.php"

that's a mother lode, isn't it? seems like a worthy endeavor. i'd say what we need is an apology from the station manager on the rick roberts show. and every one of these advertisers gets an opportunity to join in with us. i would recommend we pen a standard letter, and send off to the CFO of every one of these companies.

this should be a letter from the "Slowtwitch community," and i'll generate some stats to attach, not forgetting the $10,000 it raised for Challenged Athletes Foundation.

so, you know, "for every dollar we raise helping Challenged Athletes to ride a bike, Rick Roberts is trying to find ways to make these athletes more challenged yet, as they become his readers' hood ornaments."

get to work crafting the letter, and then let's divvy up the sponsors. as a Farmers and DirecTV customer, i'm happy to bite off those. i'll also point out that Pearson Ford is on the list, and i find that interesting considering Ford's relationship with the race this past weekend.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the best way to go about this....tell the advertisers how disappointed we are that they affiliate themselves with such a program? Threaten to boycott their products/services? Both?

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion would be to hit up the big money sponsors first. Like the banks, car sales, well anything in big sales and I think I saw some financial stuff on there as well. Then see if there are any athletic ttpe of stores as well.
Very good ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be a good idea to remind the sponsors that the targeted people have an average household income of well into six figures...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget your local new stations. They always love a little controversy and making the whole thing as public as possible is how the sponsors will squirm the most.

Find someone in the area that is a top notch speaker. Fill him / her with all the important stats (cyclists killed, number of pros in san deigo, challenged athletes, etc). Call the local stations and have them follow him/her around as they go to each sponsor face to face with a list of the facts and a recording of the program.

Guaranteed 100% removal of sponsors. Not one wants to be on the local news in a negative light.

Shortly thereafter, "Rick Roberts" will be looking for employment elsewhere.

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [fireface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Don't forget your local new stations. They always love a little controversy and making the whole thing as public as possible is how the sponsors will squirm the most.

Find someone in the area that is a top notch speaker. Fill him / her with all the important stats (cyclists killed, number of pros in san deigo, challenged athletes, etc). Call the local stations and have them follow him/her around as they go to each sponsor face to face with a list of the facts and a recording of the program.

Guaranteed 100% removal of sponsors. Not one wants to be on the local news in a negative light.

Shortly thereafter, "Rick Roberts" will be looking for employment elsewhere.[/reply]

Remind me not to piss you off. ;) Good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Threaten to boycott their products/services?"

to farmers: "is this the message you'd like your customers you insure to hear?" if so, fine, advertise here, but in this case there are any of 50 other insurers nationwide that our readers can turn to for insurance."

to pearson ford: "your company pays to sponsor the greater ironman series of races, as well as the local event just staged this past weekend. your continued sponsorship of this station, and the message of making bicyclists hood ornaments, seems at cross purposes with your brand's marketing effort. there ought to be better places you can spend your advertising dollars. if not, there are better places the triathlon community can spend its vehicular dollars. we hope you stand in solidarity with us."

stuff like that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to fight fire with fire.....

I don't know the background of this guy, but I'd rather chip in $50 to buy the guy a bike, have him join a group ride, get him enrolled into a triathlon...and let him live the life of a healthy American. Special Forces vs. Air Assault.

Start a "Rick Roberts Challenge" in which he gets his fatass out to a race.

BUT....most of these DJs are headcases and difficult to work with as they like to stir the pot. If that's the case, march forward with the battle.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hard to fight fire with fire"

fighting fire with fire would be engaging him directly. i advocate the end run, and i am quite sure 4 or 5 calls from the advertisers to the station manager does the trick. otherwise, i'm QUITE happy to boycott any services i don't absolutely need. i don't see what's bad about taking a stand about this.

as monty pointed out when we were talking about this this morning, we support challenged athletes, but we're interested in mitigating the challenge they face, not standing by while more challenged athletes are created through the careless comments charging up angry trailer trash.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he is talking about cyclists on his show right now.

specifically he is talking about gary tingley
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [poncehatford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
says he is going to sue Gary T for lying if Gary does send a retraction in 48 hrs. Roberts is a douche.

Ryan Levinson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah pretty interesting. Now he's threatening to sue gary for slander.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's he claiming Gary lied about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - Ford also signed a multi-year title sponsor contract with the Tour de Georgia. Ford is supporting multisports and cycling in a big way. Not that I have a choice- I live in Georgia and have to drive a truck- i think its like state law :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a bumblebee.

That's why I don't have a CV kit.

;)

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Ryan L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like he can dish it out, but can't take it very well.

He claimed numerous times that he would make cyclists a hood ornimate....sound like a threat to me

Numerous times he called cyclists gay idiots....sounds like slander to me.

Numerous times he called us all "lance-wannabees", not like cyclists are racing, get off the roads and get out of your black panties with the build in butt-checks....sounds like stereotyping and group discrimination to me.

We live in a free country, and your free to say whatever you want, but don't dish it out if you can't take it. From what I read of Gary's open letter, nothing in there was offensive, off-collar, or derogatory in any ways shape or form.

Sounds like we got a war on our hands....REGULATORS, MOUNT UP!

-bcreager
Last edited by: bcreager: Mar 21, 06 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [bcreager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He claimed numerous times that he would make cyclists a hood ornimate....sound like a threat to me"

i would be happy to take up this cause to a limited degree. write letters, etc. what i would like, tho, is exact quotes, and accompanying background, that is, a "hood ornament" phrase against the sound of crashing metal.

anybody can get me that, it would be appreciated.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Rick Roberts of KFMB (San Diego cyclists, read this) [Ryan L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
says he is going to sue Gary T for lying if Gary does send a retraction in 48 hrs. Roberts is a douche.

Send a retraction? Sue? Come on. The guy read the letter HIMSELF on the airwaves. Gary didn't publicly (at least not to Roberts' knowledge) slander the guy. He wrote him a letter.

Give me a break.

I like Slowman's idea about the sponsors. Also, try not tuning in. If nobody listens he'll be back to spinning top 40 tunes in Wyoming.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of examples of that. I have the podcast from yesterdays show downloaded at home....I'll see if I can pick out some of the examples tonight.

I haven't listened to todays show, but the podcast is already up.

http://www.760kfmb.com/podcast/rick/

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]

Prev Next