Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to let the community know that user Stevenmatt225 scammed me out of $170 when trying to purchase d2z poles. Cut communication after saying the poles had been shipped when I asked about a tracking number.

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seemed to have been scammed by him as well out of $75 for a Garmin HRM-PRO. Did he/she asked you to pay with Zelle?
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [transam2k4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but I did not have Zelle so I used venmo.

Here is how I discovered it was a scam:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/...=396410&start=20

The transaction didn't seem too out of the ordinary, I guess they're getting better at their scams...

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking for a Roval 321, he messaged me said he had one. I looked at his profile and saw he had zero posts and joined the day before. Asked a few questions to bait him but kinda knew it was bull shit but he ghosted. Sorry you lost out. Check profiles, join date and post numbers for some forum credibility.

Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also DM'd me about having a SRAM shifter I am looking for, I asked for pics and he sent, I asked for price and got ghosted me...I suppose I am glad he did!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The person also goes by Slowtwitch user Steven225 without the matt. In a PM exchange the person wrote to contact them at: Stevenmatt225@gmail.com. Never did initiate a sale transaction.
Last edited by: djmsbr: Jul 28, 21 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes same guy, he had me contact by text which i figured sounded legit but ended up being a google number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shocking that people are doing that! I got done before (not on here) and it ain’t nice !

https://www.best-sports-headphones.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The transaction didn't seem too out of the ordinary, I guess they're getting better at their scams...

Sucks that this happened to you but in all honestly it was completely preventable.

Maybe it's just my skeptical nature but anytime I'm looking to do a transaction here either as a seller or a buyer, the very first thing I do is click on a users profile:

- If they are relatively new, I do not enter the transaction.
- If they have zero posts, I do not enter the transaction.
- If they have less than 50 posts, I click View Posts and see what they're talking about. If they are only active on the Classifieds forum, that's a red flag to me.
- If they have frequent/recent user name changes (per Change Log at the bottom of profile), that's a red flag to me.
- Also, if a user suggests a payment method other than PayPal, that's a major red flag to me (no PayPal, no deal).

I'm sure there are one or two other things that I do but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that guy ALMOST got me. was looking for a saddle.

he sent some pics but wanted some odd payment then wanted Paypal Friends to his "sister"

sucks he got you.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [transam2k4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, he tried to get me under Steven 225 also. Looks like he just responds to all WTB ads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, he tried to get me with the 2014 70.3 world champs hat that I'm looking for. After not being able to send a pic with his 4 fingers in front of the hat that i was looking for, I blocked his email.

*note: if you're ever close to buying something, have the seller send a pic with x number of fingers in front of the item you're wanting to buy. I've been able to filter out the scammers 100% (so far) using this method. If they're legit, they won't have any problem sending the pic.
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [seveswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or even better, their username and/or date written on a piece of paper.

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Jul 29, 21 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you DM me with more information about this one?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [seveswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seveswim wrote:
*note: if you're ever close to buying something, have the seller send a pic with x number of fingers in front of the item you're wanting to buy. I've been able to filter out the scammers 100% (so far) using this method. If they're legit, they won't have any problem sending the pic.

But what if the seller is Jason Pierre-Paul?

For real tho, sorry to all that got scammed by this guy, pretty sure he tried to do a trade for some items but never followed up.
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [yinzerniner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do a Google search he is on all kinds of different forums saying he has what people are looking for. It's his job. He steals for a living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last month I posted a listing that I was looking to buy d2z poles as well. I immediately got 2-3 different replies saying they had them. They all wanted money via Zelle or PayPal "friends and family". As soon as someone has a story about why they can't do PayPal goods and services that's when you know they are a scam.
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [bilalm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. I have been lucky buying and selling here and if it’s like $50 or under and I’ve had a good back and forth I’d send family/friends but for anything more I send good/services and cover the fee. Not worth it to send without protection and 3% isn’t the end of the world. And if they continue to want it another way you say screw it and look elsewhere.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All, I posted a suggestion to the forum software section.

Force a Classifieds rule change to require photos for all FS ads, responses to WTB ads, and make the photo include a hand written piece of paper of the user's forum ID.

Pretty common classified's rule in the automotive forums world.
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Force a Classifieds rule change to require photos for all FS ads, responses to WTB ads, and make the photo include a hand written piece of paper of the user's forum ID.

Except that's not the way this guy (and others) are running the scam. If someone posts a WTB ad they will send a private message to bait them into the transaction thereby skirting the proposed rule change you noted. It's a start but won't solve the issue. Personally I think the minimum post count here is way too low to weed out scammers. Make it significantly higher and any Classified posts/replies don't count (that'd probably be harder to write that rule for this forum).
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

Except that's not the way this guy (and others) are running the scam. If someone posts a WTB ad they will send a private message to bait them into the transaction thereby skirting the proposed rule change you noted. It's a start but won't solve the issue. Personally I think the minimum post count here is way too low to weed out scammers. Make it significantly higher and any Classified posts/replies don't count (that'd probably be harder to write that rule for this forum).

I was proposing that replies to WTB be made in the forum topic with photo first. Not via PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He almost got me as well. I wanted 11 speed groupset and he said he had Di2 groupset. I asked if he can send some pictures and he emailed me some pictures that can be found on the internet. So i replied back saying can you write out on a piece of paper today's date, time and his and mine ST usernames - he never reply back.

Scamming fellow athletes. What a loser. Shame on him.
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Given this, allowing PM can entail more risk than allowing to post. It may help to setting a higher threshold for sending PMs to anyone (beyond those who they interacted publicly). It will make such scams a little more difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

That’d be great except it’s a giant pain in the ass to post pictures on here from mobile.

I’m pretty computer literate and trying to add pictures almost made me not post.
Quote Reply
Re: I've Been Scammed! User Stevenmatt225 [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

That’d be great except it’s a giant pain in the ass to post pictures on here from mobile.

I’m pretty computer literate and trying to add pictures almost made me not post.

I’ve never successfully posted a photo on the forum. Then again, I’m a Luddite.
Quote Reply