Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread
Quote | Reply
So from the looks of it, hardly anyone is going to be able to watch this live in the US, and many other places around the world. I assume that many of you Euros and adjacent time zones will have access, so I propose that you discuss and report live here what you are witnessing. A live RR so to speak, so that those of us who dont have access or the time, can get up and read the play by play as it happened.

I do this with a lot of the race day threads, much more fun to go back and see it in real time how you all saw it. So if not too much trouble for those of you watching, give us some great play by play, with your personal anecdotes of course too...(-;

And if anyone has any pre race info please post up here too, weather, courses, wind, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked at Lionel's Race Week clip on Youtube. He definitely looked tired after the long trip which is totally understandable. It is also clear, to me at least, how Jan is a true professional, comfortable in his skin and on home soil. Lionel seems a bit in awe of and nervous around him.

That turn-around ramp looks super fun!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
I just looked at Lionel's Race Week clip on Youtube. He definitely looked tired after the long trip which is totally understandable. It is also clear, to me at least, how Jan is a true professional, comfortable in his skin and on home soil. Lionel seems a bit in awe of and nervous around him.

That turn-around ramp looks super fun!

Wasn't clear on the purpose of the turnaround ramp.......are they doing multiple short loops and just putting that in for fun?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they don’t have to slow down on the 180s
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:

I get that, but are they doing -that- many laps? Maybe they are,,,
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At risk of a misquote
"no-one mention the ironwar" 🐸

What are the viewing options actually?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
MRid wrote:

I get that, but are they doing -that- many laps? Maybe they are,,,

https://www.tri247.com/...yale-frodeno-sanders

"In this first of its kind sporting event, these two fierce rivals will battle it out in 3.8km, four lap swim in Grossen Alpsee Lake; followed by a 180km closed and fast time trial bike leg made up of five loops. This incredible head-to-head battle will culminate with a 42.2km marathon made up of four 10.55km circuits around the scenic landscape of Allgäu. All long distance international triathlon rules will be adhered to – no drafting, no illegal tactics, no outside support or pacemakers."

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

That's kind Jan. Has to work in Lionel's favor on that one.

The ramp has nothing to do with Lionel and everything to do with Jan trying to break the WR.

It's pretty obvious that this is Jan's race.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

The ramp has nothing to do with Lionel and everything to do with Jan trying to break the WR.

Is this a serious thing Jan is trying to do? Is the course that fast?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

Is this a serious thing Jan is trying to do? Is the course that fast?

It seems so. They have gone as far as designing the swim so no sighting will even be required.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Australia in the 90s they had a triathlon grand prix series they had turn around ramps. It looked spectacular on the highlights. That was the early miles Stewart , brad Bevan and macca era

I wonder if Macca's concept for sub 7 concept has ramps, and if team macca had pitched it to Team Jan a while back

nondraft sub 7,30 would be more impressive than than a draft sub 7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except there are no world records in triathlon.

I know, I know...

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be very surprised if Jan goes for a record against Lionel. That time difference would be a huge embarrassment to Lionel. On the other hand, Lionel would be in the history books. Just not for what he wanted.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

I predict 7:29 for Jan

DNF for Sanders

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

DNF for Sanders

On what grounds? I think Lionel has proven himself to be one tough son of a bitch, on top of being likeable and respectful.

Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

DNF for Sanders

On what grounds? I think Lionel has proven himself to be one tough son of a bitch, on top of being likeable and respectful.

On the grounds that miles here is a Sam Long fanboy.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MRid wrote:

DNF for Sanders

Don't they pull racers when they get lapped and that's a DNF?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big Lionel fan, but when's the last time he's had a great Ironman?

He's had an amazing 70.3 run this year and even at Daytona, but Ironman? not so much. I'd love to see him nail it, but his CDA race was less than confidence inspiring, and he doesn't have a Kona slot and isn't going to earn one at this Frodo-fest...

not sure how that has anything to do with Sam; that's purely on Lionel and the question for him is ' is getting beat by 15min on a good day worth not going to Kona?'

I don't think so. The DNF isn't predicted based on his ability, but on that simple question he'll have to ask himself

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When has Sanders ever DNF'd a race?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I would be very surprised if Jan goes for a record against Lionel. That time difference would be a huge embarrassment to Lionel. On the other hand, Lionel would be in the history books. Just not for what he wanted.

You don't think Jan wants to destroy his competitors and leave no doubt that he is truly the fastest? You don't think Jan smirks when fans think Lionel has a chance to beat him? There is no doubt that he leaves the gas pedal full throttle throughout the whole 140.6.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is exciting for 2-3 hours, I buy it... this, not my apple...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:

So, continuing his no-DNF streak outweighs being embarrassed and not qualifying for Kona?

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I don't watch many sports, but have to admit I find all of Jans races exciting to see from start to finish....Frankfurt, Roth, south Africa , Kona 2019, Gran canaria, daytona.....he blew the doors off the most elite competition like a marvel hero and each race was just phenomenal
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Jul 14, 21 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
WHITEJM74 wrote:

So, continuing his no-DNF streak outweighs being embarrassed and not qualifying for Kona?

Probably making more from this race than any Kona finish prize money (endorsements aside but he's got those)
Quote Reply

Prev Next