Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ventum 46cm TT bike
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience with the Ventum Z 46cm Tri bike? I am a new triathlete but already thinking of dropping $$ on a good bike that fits my 4’10” self.

I bought an old used Kestrel Tri bike. It has 650cc wheels. It is a rocky, twitchy little ride. I’m not fond of it. It has rear drop outs that go straight back, if you don’t have your rear skewer clamped super tight the back wheel will fall off especially with sharp braking). The gearing is extremely difficult- though I only have road, mountain and gravel bikes to compare it too. I am told this is due to the length of the cables vs the size of the bike, but re-cabling will not change the gear grind and derailleur inaccuracy.

Should I try to fix up the Kestrel? If so- what should I do?

Is the Ventum 46cm with 700cc wheels a viable option for a short rider?

TIA for your help and suggestions!
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum 46cm TT bike [kittyhawk19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my 45 cm Cervelo P3 with 650 wheels. Unfortunately, they are no longer made, but a 3 year-old model is floating out there somewhere.

IMO, I would not invest in fixing a bike with that many problems-good money after bad. BTW, I am 5’1” πŸ˜‰.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum 46cm TT bike [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo is too big- I tried that gorgeous bike. I am only 4’10” needing about 71cm standover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked here?

https://www.premierbike.com/collections/all

There is an XS listed (new) with 650c wheels, plus race wheels as well.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Kennison manages Premier Bikes and posts here as dkennison. He has offered repeatedly to answer any and all questions about sizing if you PM him directly.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum 46cm TT bike [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
***Goosebumps*** this could very well be it. :-)
I will give him a shout.
Thank you!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too ride a 650 wheel Cervelo P3 that is ancient (don't know when it was built since I purchased it used). I would love to upgrade (ie. replace) the Cervelo, however, I too have the same questions you do about a 46 cm bike with 700 wheels! I am 5'0" to 5' 1".

I am skeptical if a 700 wheel bike will work for me. Since I know several people who have purchased new bikes only to have some kind of fit or other problem with them, I decided to work with a local bike fitter to see exactly what size bike will work for me and if 700 wheels will work for me. I don't want to drop alot of money on a bike like that and then discover it doesn't fit correctly or there is little room for adjustments.

I have been looking around at the premier bicycles, and any other company that builds 650 wheel TT bikes. I heard that Canyon makes a 650 wheel bike but haven't seen it available yet.

I would work with a bike fitter who can tell you what will and will not work for you before spending alot of money on any bike.

I also think if you look around enough you may be able to find a used 650 wheel TT bike that doesn't have all of the problems that your Kestrel has.

Good luck!

KK
Last edited by: Kat_Kong: Jul 9, 21 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'0" and have a freakish combination of short legs, long torso and t-rex short arms.

I currently ride Cervelo P3 45cm and it fits like a dream. There may still be new old stock (NOS) in either a frameset or complete build floating around. The standover height and limited top tube space present some challenges, but they are easily managed.

If I were buying new today, Premier XS is the bike I would get--hands down. It's built fast and one of the only 650c TT bikes around. I think Felt still produces a 650c TT. Those are the only two I know that are still in production.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I can answer any questions - I'm happy to help.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply