Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video out from Sam about the race...

Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
This is why Lange shines in Kona. He is running first at 16 kph vs many others running at 15kph or 14kph and because he only weights 140lbs at the exact same pace as someone 10% heavier, he is generating 40% less overall heat.

Just curious, how did you come up with the math? Can you break it down please?

It is rough, but let's go with this

For every watt of mechanical work 4 watts of heat is generated.

If Lange is running at 16kph, the person 10% heavier will move very coarsly at 14.4 kph for the same amount of mechanical work (watts to the ground). If both people are going the same speed, then the guy who is 10% heavier will generate 40% more heat.

If both are doing the same work and Lange is moving 10% faster, they both generate the same heat, but because Lange is moving 10% faster he has more cooling advantage, so for he same workload he has more radiator cooling effect due to more airflow over his radiator....(of course that comes with a bit of an air resistence penalty).

Bottom line, light people have a virtuous cycle running at speed in the heat versus large athletes...the exact same dynamic hurts the light athlete in borderline cold no wetsuit swims....that person is more likely to get hypothermic....and thus Kenyan marathoners are built the way they are, and channel swimmers built another way!!!

This is why I asked if Sam has 5 lbs to lose for Kona. At Kona many get the drafting benefit from others on the bike but if they are large the weight penalty on the run.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
kajet wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
This is why Lange shines in Kona. He is running first at 16 kph vs many others running at 15kph or 14kph and because he only weights 140lbs at the exact same pace as someone 10% heavier, he is generating 40% less overall heat.

Just curious, how did you come up with the math? Can you break it down please?

It is rough, but let's go with this

If Lange is running at 16kph, the person 10% heavier will move very coarsly at 14.4 kph for the same amount of mechanical work (watts to the ground). If both people are going the same speed, then the guy who is 10% heavier will generate 40% more heat.

If both are doing the same work and Lange is moving 10% faster, they both generate the same heat, but because Lange is moving 10% faster he has more cooling advantage, so for he same workload he has more radiator cooling effect due to more airflow over his radiator....(of course that comes with a bit of an air resistence penalty).

Bottom line, light people have a virtuous cycle running at speed in the heat versus large athletes...the exact same dynamic hurts the light athlete in borderline cold no wetsuit swims....that person is more likely to get hypothermic....and thus Kenyan marathoners are built the way they are, and channel swimmers built another way!!!

This is why I asked if Sam has 5 lbs to lose for Kona. At Kona many get the drafting benefit from others on the bike but if they are large the weight penalty on the run.

Dev

No, he's damn thin for his height. My goodness, you're going to push the boy towards disordered eating, Dev! I honestly can't imagine him leaner and still being healthy. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad approach and probably not the healthiest discussion.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea if he has anything to lose between here and Kona. If you say he has nothiing to lose, then that's fine. But the fastest way to be fast is Kona is be lighter (and yes, it may be unhealthy). Its just how the physics of that course plays out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I have no idea if he has anything to lose between here and Kona. If you say he has nothiing to lose, then that's fine. But the fastest way to be fast is Kona is be lighter (and yes, it may be unhealthy). Its just how the physics of that course plays out.

Dev, you're treating weight as a closed system. Decreased weight can also lead to injury, not being recovered well enough, not fueled well enough, not strong enough. It's this overly simplistic engineering-thinking that is harmful. Weight loss is not a sure fire way to be faster or cooler on race day. Often, it is a sure fire to perform poorly. I'm not someone who's ever had to battle with weight loss, so this is not a PC response; this is just being holistic. We don't only look at bike weight; we look at rolling resistance, aerodynamics, etc. Your enthusiasm is great, but this view that "the fastest way to be fast in Kona is to be lighter" is just dangerous and ignorant. I mean, you're talking about a guy, Sam, who is probably under 6% body fat and has no unneeded muscle.

Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan's list weight is 8 pounds less than Long. Honestly think Jan doesn't carry enough weight on him though. Long is fine, if anything could stand to add 6 more lbs and get to a round 180lbs!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev, you're treating weight as a closed system. Decreased weight can also lead to injury, not being recovered well enough, not fueled well enough, not strong enough. It's this overly simplistic engineering-thinking that is harmful. Weight loss is not a sure fire way to be faster or cooler on race day. Often, it is a sure fire to perform poorly. I'm not someone who's ever had to battle with weight loss, so this is not a PC response; this is just being holistic. We don't only look at bike weight; we look at rolling resistance, aerodynamics, etc. Your enthusiasm is great, but this view that "the fastest way to be fast in Kona is to be lighter" is just dangerous and ignorant. I mean, you're talking about a guy, Sam, who is probably under 6% body fat and has no unneeded muscle.

Hey I am not wanting into get into a debate about ethics of coaching, health, and all the other aspects. I am just talking pure physics. There are always trade offs and yes, this is why in endurance sport there are so many psychological and health disorders. It's not like I invented the physics around heat transfer and mechanical energy and heat dissipation. But as you said, with it comes all the down sides so each athlete has to find their personal balance point.

I just asked if Sam has any weight to lose. I barely know what the guy looks like (I have never seen the guy stripped down). You know him and say he is on his limit, so I support what you are saying.

Only one point, tthat is irrefutable....for the same pace being lighter you generate less heat. You can't get around those physics. Being lighter you may end up being unhealhier ....that I support you on. You just can't be cooler at a given pace being heavier. This works against what Isaac Newton formulated for work and machines. A heavier machine required more force to move it through the same distance and if the force is higher and the distance is covered in the same time, then more work (joules) are needed. Human body roughly produces 4W of heat for 1W of mechanical work so if you do more mechanical work you generate 4x more heat for that incremental amount.
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam needs to drop more than 5 minutes. Here’s why:

He went 54 minutes in a wetsuit. Wetsuits will give a bigger bump to slower swimmers.

1:11/100 doesn’t mean anything when the first couple 100 at Kona, when the packs are set, is around 1:00/100 or faster.

The front pack swimmers at Kona would have been 45-46 at IMCDA.

If Sam drops 5 minutes off his swim, he’ll still be around 4-5 minutes off the pace of the front pack which would put him around 10th or worse overall at the finish line regardless of his bike and run.

He’s also going to find it difficult improving in the swim with the amount of training and racing he does.

Hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
What would Macca do?
Racing Weight: Advice from History’s Heaviest Ironman Champion – Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Hey I am not wanting into get into a debate about ethics of coaching, health, and all the other aspects. I am just talking pure physics. There are always trade offs and yes, this is why in endurance sport there are so many psychological and health disorders. It's not like I invented the physics around heat transfer and mechanical energy and heat dissipation. But as you said, with it comes all the down sides so each athlete has to find their personal balance point.

I just asked if Sam has any weight to lose. I barely know what the guy looks like (I have never seen the guy stripped down). You know him and say he is on his limit, so I support what you are saying.

Only one point, tthat is irrefutable....for the same pace being lighter you generate less heat. You can't get around those physics. Being lighter you may end up being unhealhier ....that I support you on. You just can't be cooler at a given pace being heavier. This works against what Isaac Newton formulated for work and machines. A heavier machine required more force to move it through the same distance and if the force is higher and the distance is covered in the same time, then more work (joules) are needed. Human body roughly produces 4W of heat for 1W of mechanical work so if you do more mechanical work you generate 4x more heat for that incremental amount.

this "pure physics" argument is being made publicly in a place where it could potentially influence people to start prioritizing weight loss over health. PINK (and with respect to you, Dev) Maybe you shouldn't sleep that way you can get more work done... it's simple math: less sleep equals more time to work; right? just kidding

Last edited by: milesthedog: Jun 30, 21 17:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This discussion reminds me of when Lionel overreacted to his second place finish in 2017, went semi vegan and basically starved himself in an effort to cut weight for Kona.

Check how emaciated he looked in video 1 below versus his body in 2021 where he is an absolute unit (video 2)

Think we all remember how that turned out (took more time to turnaround than just realizing not to super concentrate gatorade endurance)

Fortunately based on Sam’s videos and social media I don’t think he’s concerned one bit about his weight. Also thinks he has decent surface area to mass, which he does, which isn’t as nice as being 140 lb on the run, but does help
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [PedalNowNapL8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there are a zillion examples of when it did not work and we also know that it is a slippery slope of the physics working until you get to that tipping point when it all unravels.

But it's almost like people are now scared to talk about how to get to that personal equilibrium which is different for anyone. It is a valid discussion to have. At the end of the day we are talking about racing in Kona or racing marathons neither of which is healthy to start off with. So it's degrees of doing unhealthy things since doing an Ironman inherently is pushing the limits on health.

Everyone can pick their poison. It is just disingenuous talking about Ironman racing and saying we should not discuss body composition. It is inherently a part of racing.

I don't know Sam nor his body composition (other than people say he is a big guy) and if you guys say it is already optimized at the equilibrium for speed and health then it is.

ALSO good point about Sam's surface area to volume ratio. That is what Rift Valley marathoners are maximized for. Jan also benefits from that
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 30, 21 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers Dev. I think it’s a fair discussion to have. I do count myself in the camp of thinking Sam doesn’t really have anything to lose aside from muscle, though

Kona 2021 shaping up to be an all-time field, especially if all three Norwegians race. Should be fun!
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
r-b wrote:

Cam Wurf and Sebi just got a new engine for the Kawaihai Bullet train to chase down Jan.

If Wurf slows down to stay with him.
I am looking forward to seeing Cam racing some tri's towards the back end of summer..It will be very interesting.

Racing Andorra 70.3 this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Do we know how he is swimming lately?

NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
r-b wrote:
Cam Wurf and Sebi just got a new engine for the Kawaihai Bullet train to chase down Jan.

Probably a few seconds per 100 off where he was, i.e. a couple of minutes ahead of Long
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
r-b wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing Cam racing some tri's towards the back end of summer..It will be very interesting.

That explains the comment from one of his mates the other day,which was something like, "Road or TT on Sunday?"
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [PedalNowNapL8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:
This discussion reminds me of when Lionel overreacted to his second place finish in 2017, went semi vegan and basically starved himself in an effort to cut weight for Kona.

Check how emaciated he looked in video 1 below versus his body in 2021 where he is an absolute unit (video 2)

Think we all remember how that turned out (took more time to turnaround than just realizing not to super concentrate gatorade endurance)

Fortunately based on Sam’s videos and social media I don’t think he’s concerned one bit about his weight. Also thinks he has decent surface area to mass, which he does, which isn’t as nice as being 140 lb on the run, but does help

When I saw Lionel pre-Kona in 2018, my first thought was "he's too lean." Mark Allen used to gain five lbs. over his normal season weight for Kona to have more durability (he tried getting super-lean for Kona and it didn't work).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
r-b wrote:

That explains the comment from one of his mates the other day,which was something like, "Road or TT on Sunday?"

If he is racing Andorra 70.3 why did he give his fast wheels to Matthew Van Der Poel for today''s TdF ITT?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks. Uh… the general argument makes sense to me, but not how absolute and relative numbers work? Lange will need to produce 1200 watts of energy (mechanical+heat) to run at 300 watts output (300 watts of mechanical, 900 watts of heat). Fat guy (LOL) will need a 330 watt mechanical output to achieve the same speed, requiring 4x330=1320 watts in total, or still 10% more than Lange’s 1200, including 1320-330=990 watts of heat (10% more than Lange’s 900).

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jun 30, 21 22:10
Quote Reply
Re: How About Some Love for Sam Long: 4:18 bike + 2:51 run in IMCdA Heat [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks. Uh… the general argument makes sense to me, but not how absolute and relative numbers work? Lange will need to produce 1200 watts of energy (mechanical+heat) to run at 300 watts output (300 watts of mechanical, 900 watts of heat). Fat guy (LOL) will need a 330 watt mechanical output to achieve the same speed, requiring 4x330=1320 watts in total, or still 10% more than Lange’s 1200, including 1320-330=990 watts of heat (10% more than Lange’s 900).

Yes, Dev needs to show his math to get to someone 10% heavier generating 40% more heat. I don't get that at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam had a second pair of wheels...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sam's 8:07 with a 54 min swim, 4:18 bike and 2:51 run were very similar to what Normann Stadler used to win Kona 2006. Sam outran Stadler by 4 minutes, but the swim and bike were identical (it just occurred to me that the race splits were very alike).

But in any case everyone was beating on Sam at Tulsa. It just goes to show that some days you're on, other days not so much. Congrats to Sam. All the threads are about Lionel's implosion, but what a performance by Sam Long bouncing back so quickly from Tulsa.

Not a follower of Sam Long, but will be now - that's a super performance in that heat. A very balanced day, looking at the splits.

Kona will be interesting. A lot of athletes seem to post great IM results during the season and then disappear in Kona. I have a feeling he won't be one of these - he races too maturely, in a very controlled manner. Was the same in Daytona. Kudos to him.

PS That Stadler performance was the first I had ever seen of triathlon. The memories. On the Yellow and Blue Kuota.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I screwed up the explanation. 120extra watts blows up in heat for the big guy. Meanwhile Lange is putting out 300W to the road. 120W is 40% of Lange's 300W. That's the big guy "heat overhead" of going at the same pace. There is the mechanical overhead (30 extra watts). Big guy has a bigger heart and lungs and legs, but but the heat part is painful. As others have pointed out if it is a big guy with large surface to volume ratio then that is a bit of a help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I screwed up the explanation. 120extra watts blows up in heat for the big guy. Meanwhile Lange is putting out 300W to the road. 120W is 40% of Lange's 300W. That's the big guy "heat overhead" of going at the same pace. There is the mechanical overhead (30 extra watts). Big guy has a bigger heart and lungs and legs, but but the heat part is painful. As others have pointed out if it is a big guy with large surface to volume ratio then that is a bit of a help.

Sam’s NP was 299w

So, you’ve written that you don’t know how lean Sam looks or if he even needs to lose weight, and you clearly are not educated in exercise physiology …. But you keep beating this drum? I made the comment above that less sleep equals more time to work; that’s about as simplistic as your thinking. While others have pointed out examples such as Mark Allen putting on weight for Kona after doing poorly with less weight. You’ve hi-jacked your own (good) thread with pseudoscience

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calm down man. At this point you're just fighting to make it personal (you can't hold back attacking the other guy instead of sticking to the discussion)

Perhaps we just stick to each watt of mechanical work generating 4W +/- of heat. From there we can slice and dice it and each person can optimize what their balance point is. I was not talking about exercise physiology or weight optimization and health just simple Newtonian mechanics impact and relative effiiciency of the human machine only (output energy vs input energy). You're the one wanting a fight. I already said that if you said that Sam is optimized for him that's fine. Macca got optimized for him, Stadler got optimized for him, Faris for him, Crowie for him, Jan for him, Sebi for him. Peter Reid did get optimized for him at times, but he will be the first to say he blew it often enough and developed a bad relationship with nutrition.

For sure there are plenty of examples of people who go too light and gain back a bit to get to their personal balance point. That list will be endless too. Its really about each person's balance point. If Sam is there then he's there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next