Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your help, Ian. Much appreciated. M it will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

first of all great effort you're putting in here!

I am as everyone here checking out the new Speedmax bikes. After the purchase I am surely going to see a bike fitter, however I don't want to purchase the wrong size in the first place. Could you help me with this:

Height: 197
Inseam: 91.5

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards from Germany,

Lukas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thank you for providing this resource for us.

I am interested in both Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 (previous generation) and new CF SLX 8.0 Disc. In size small, both bike have same Stack/Reach, but arm pad stack/reach are very different.

Current bike is 2015 Felt IA FRD size 54/M with 162.5mm crank arm length.

Saddle Height: 710mm
Arm pad reach:425mm
Arm pad stack: 595mm

My Height is 180cm
Inseam: 76cm

Thank you for your help.

Dawei
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are sending the Canyon back. After all the adjustments, my wife still didn't love the bike. A Canyon rep told me that the stem spacer wasn't to be removed, I'm not sure why. He may have been mis-informed because (paraphrasing) he said that my wife's higher position on the Canyon would not be slower than her PR6 because the Canyon has the fastest frame....That is a load of crap!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [dyinster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Current bike is 2015 Felt IA FRD size 54/M with 162.5mm crank arm length"

What brand and model is your crankset?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quarq dfour crank powermeter older style SRAM GXP crank arm.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [dyinster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at a Speedmax CF8 or CF SLX 8.0. Based on my inseam (750 mm) the sizing chart says XS. Would like your opinion if this is the correct size.

Height - 171.cm
Inseam - 750mm
Seat Height - 705mm
Pad Y - 660mm
Pad X - 432mm

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Appreciate your help in advance !

I am 6 foot 1 and currently ride a 56 Felt

Arm pad stack is 650

Arm pad reach is 490

Saddle height is 750

I seem to be on the edge reach wise of the Large ?

Not sure about base bar etc either , assume the riser allows me to ‘angle ‘ the extensions ?

Sorry dumb questions I am sure

Thanks ! Steve
Last edited by: UKINNY: Jun 16, 21 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [LukasD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

first of all great effort you're putting in here!
I am as everyone here checking out the new Speedmax bikes. After the purchase I am surely going to see a bike fitter, however I don't want to purchase the wrong size in the first place. Could you help me with this:
Height: 197
Inseam: 91.5
Thanks a lot in advance and best regards from Germany,

LukasD,
It is BEST to see a fitter* before you buy so you can not only order the right size bike (it's an XL for sure) but also the right front end so you can make it prefect. Especially in Europe as you can order the parts you want on the bike and they'll be built up for you before shipping. We don't get to that here in North America. *The right fitter has to be experienced in fitting tri bikes, educated in fitting tri bikes and they must have a dynamic fit bike. If you can find such a fitter you'll know exactly what to order and what stem/bar/spacers, etc are needed on the front end. You'll also know all your fit coordinates: seat height, set back, pad width, etc. etc. so the fit is done before you buy the bike.

The second best way is.... if you have an existing tri bike that fits well... pull the Pad Y Pad X off that bike and get back to me here so I can be more precise. This video will show you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

If the two options above aren't possible....well, then, here we go.... I suspect your Pad Y is roughly 690 and your Pad X is about 530.

If you wanted the Canyon Speedmax CFR or SLX then you should get an XL with a long stem, long aero extension, and mid spacer.

If you wanted the Canyon Speedmax CF the you should get the XL, the 90mm stem that comes stock will work for the Pad X and you'll probably ride with few spacers/pedestals but it's easy to make the changes to find the right spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Quote:
Thank you for providing this resource for us.

I am interested in both Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 (previous generation) and new CF SLX 8.0 Disc. In size small, both bike have same Stack/Reach, but arm pad stack/reach are very different.

Current bike is 2015 Felt IA FRD size 54/M with 162.5mm crank arm length.

Saddle Height: 710mm
Arm pad reach:425mm
Arm pad stack: 595mm

My Height is 180cm
Inseam: 76cm
Thank you for your help.
Dawei

Dawei,
Based on your morphology I would have expected a Pad X of 450-470 so that 425 number gives me pause. I want to factor into my answer the idea that you might ride longer in the future if something changes.

For the 2021 Speedmax SLX (disc brake bike) it's a size Small, short stem, low spacer, and you'll have 35+mm to go forward if you ever choose to do so.

For the 2020 Speedmax SLX (rim brake bike) it's also a size Small, short stem, 30mm of pedestal, and you position the pads nearly dead center to get your current number. You'll have room to push the pads forward 25more mm with the short stem.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Ian.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian

Arm pad stack is 650
Arm pad reach is 490
Saddle height is 750
Not sure about base bar etc either , assume the riser allows me to ‘angle ‘ the extensions ?

Steve,
Never any dumb questions - bring 'em all! Based on the Pad Y of 650, the Pad X of 490....

If you get the Speedmax CFR or SLX it would be a size Large but the Large wont meet your seat height. Can I confirm that 750. If we do a Medium then seat height is good to go but the cockpit maxes out at 484 and you're at 490. Hmmm...

If you get the Speedmax CF then the Medium works and it works with stock stem (80mm) and you'd push the pads out 1 hole shy of max.

There are risers that allow you to detail and perfect your pad height (Pad Y) and on the CFR/SLX there are wedged risers to give you tilt - on the CF the base bar is round you can tilt to your exact specs.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
Thanks for all of the great help you provide

I’m currently riding the Speedmax CF 8.0 rim brake. An I’m looking to upgrade to the CF SLX disc if it seems like a good fit. The specs are much different. I’m a little concerned with the reach of the CF SLX disc.

I’ve been through a few fittings and no fitters ever seem satisfied with getting me enough reach on my current bike.
I’m slightly under 6’2” and my inseam is slightly under 37”. According to the canyon website I am right at the cusp of M and L. Which doesn’t make sense considering how much shorter this frame is.
I was thinking I would most likely be an XL.
Could I get some guidance on how to best to see if this bike would be suitable for me?
I’m not married to my current fit as it has been something that has never felt great to me over the 2 years I’ve had this bike

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Ian

I was measuring reach to the middle of the pad so we now have extra to play with I think !
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [whalendds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
Thanks for all of the great help you provide

I’m currently riding the Speedmax CF 8.0 rim brake. An I’m looking to upgrade to the CF SLX disc if it seems like a good fit. The specs are much different. I’m a little concerned with the reach of the CF SLX disc.

I’ve been through a few fittings and no fitters ever seem satisfied with getting me enough reach on my current bike.
I’m slightly under 6’2” and my inseam is slightly under 37”. According to the canyon website I am right at the cusp of M and L. Which doesn’t make sense considering how much shorter this frame is.
I was thinking I would most likely be an XL.
Could I get some guidance on how to best to see if this bike would be suitable for me?
I’m not married to my current fit as it has been something that has never felt great to me over the 2 years I’ve had this bike

Whalendds,
Could I ask you to wheel out your current Speedmax and follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS to get back to me here with....
  1. Saddle Height
  2. Pad Y
  3. Pad X

From there I can prescribe the new, disc brake Speedmax SLX at your current position and riff on the whole "...no fitters ever seem satisfied with getting me enough reach" thing - 'cause that piques my interest.

If measuring your old bike isn't possible get back to me and I'll make my hypothesis based on your height and inseam.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Ian

Arm pad stack is 650
Arm pad reach is 490
Saddle height is 750
Steve,
Never any dumb questions - bring 'em all! Based on the Pad Y of 650, the Pad X of 490....

If you get the Speedmax CFR or SLX it would be a size Large but the Large wont meet your seat height. Can I confirm that 750. If we do a Medium then seat height is good to go but the cockpit maxes out at 484 and you're at 490. Hmmm...

If you get the Speedmax CF then the Medium works and it works with stock stem (80mm) and you'd push the pads out 1 hole shy of max.

There are risers that allow you to detail and perfect your pad height (Pad Y) and on the CFR/SLX there are wedged risers to give you tilt - on the CF the base bar is round you can tilt to your exact specs.

Ian

Quote:
I was measuring reach to the middle of the pad so we now have extra to play with I think !

UKINNY,
Ah, okay, got it. The pad is roughly 100mm front to back so let's call your Pad X 445ish and leave the Pad Y at 650 and prescribe from there.
If you get the CFR or SLX then get the Medium. You're nearly dead center with the short stem, mid spacer, mid extension - all that stuff comes stock in the USA so it's a great spot!
If you get the CF then it's a small is best (you'll fit a medium too, if availability is an issue - but the small is best). Plenty of room to move up/down, fore/aft in the front-end and you'll have the water bottle bosses behind the post exposed too.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok glad I actually measured as these don’t seem to add up.
Current setup on Speedmax cf 8.0.
Seat height- 801
Pad y-705
Pad x- 445

Let me know your thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [whalendds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ok glad I actually measured as these don’t seem to add up.
Current setup on Speedmax cf 8.0.
Seat height- 801
Pad y-705
Pad x- 445

Let me know your thoughts

Whalendds,
For the new Canyon Speedmax SLX disc brake bike you'd need a size Large with all the front end config that comes stock in the USA: short stem, mid pedestal, medium aero extension. Seat height will allow you to access the water bottle bosses behind the post - it's all perfect!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, does that leave room to add reach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I'm looking at the Speedmax CF 8 Disc because I need the aerobars (extension and pads) to pedestal independently left and right because my left humerus is 2" shorter.

I'm currently on a Speed Concept with a Pad X 510, Pad Y of 605 (on the lower side, other side is 50mm more) and seat height at 760.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks, does that leave room to add reach?

Up to 45mm with the existing short-stem cockpit and another 20mm more if you move to the long-stem cockpit.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello gentlemen, are there any solutions out there to increase the angle of the aerobats higher than by using the maximum angle piece Canyon has supplied?
Ronnie
Last edited by: rocketronnie: Jun 27, 21 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rocketronnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian, after advice on bike sizing for a canyon CF7 rim or the new CF7 disc..

190cm tall
85cm inseam
bike seat height from ctr of crank to top of seat = 84cm
172.5mm cranks

not sure about the x and y measurements as have never had a tri bike before.. current is a road felt XL frame

let me know if you need any more dimensions.

thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rocketronnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello gentlemen, are there any solutions out there to increase the angle of the aerobats higher than by using the maximum angle piece Canyon has supplied?

Ronnie,
If you're talking about the Speedmax CF... that bike is built with a Profile-Design Aeria Ultimate bracket that can provide tilt of the aerobars with the micro adjust of the mounting screws. I think the max is ~10deg.

If you're talk about the Speedmax CFR or SLX ... those bikes are built with Canyon's own cockpit and that build-kit has a 3deg tilt wedge, a 7deg tilt wedge.... and I don't know if this is intended but I built up Slowman's SLX with them stacked upon each other for a 10deg tilt.

Let me inquire with the engineers and make sure that's acceptable.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently on a Speed Concept with a Pad X 510, Pad Y of 605 (on the lower side, other side is 50mm more due to humerus difference) and seat height at 760.

Looking at a CFX 8 disc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next