Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LSD in the offseason?
Quote | Reply
I live in NEPA, and here it is freezing cold every single day, so I am stuck inside. I am lucky enough to be able to swim with a local team, so i get a good swim workout. Sometimes it is more speed than I would like for oly distance, but it works. For the bike and run, I am stuck inside on the trainer and treadmill. I find it very hard to do intervals and speed workouts, especially on the treadmill, because the max speed is 10mph. On the trainer, I just have a hard time holding a maximum effort. I do almost all LD on the bike, usually shifting through in the middle gears (spinning). I run track, so usually that helps a bit with speed.

Will my speed suffer much from this training, or will I gain it back quick enough? (my first race isn't until June 28). Any suggestions? thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: LSD in the offseason? [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have access to a track and a trainer, I would think it would be endurance workouts that would suffer not speed. It's the multi-hour workouts that are usually hard to complete indoors in the winter not the shorter faster ones. When you say is it hard to do intervals indoors, do you mean mentally or physically?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSD is what you should be doing now. You add the speed component in the 5-7 weeks or so before your race. If you can do the long stuff indoors, youre the man. I could never ride over 2 hrs on my trainer.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: LSD in the offseason? [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have access to a treadmill and a trainer. As far as doing a 2 hour workout, i just throw in my favorite movie, bloodsport, or a rocky movie and I'm set. Physically, I can do the intervals. 1). Since the treadmill is a top speed of 10mph, I can only do 6 minute miles, which is slower than my mile pace anyway, although, I do admit, 10mph is damn tough on a treadmill. On the trainer, mentally, i just can't push myself if a can't see the road passing faster with the wind against me. Dumb thing, but mentally, I dont have that push to go hard. But I can go long all day. I'm a bit different, I have been told.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say to stay away from it. My experience is that the flashbacks always mess me up.

:-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that's the case, invest in winter cycling and running gear.
Quote Reply
Re: LSD in the offseason? [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would like to, but my road has a 1/2 inch of ice on it, making it 'stupid', dare i say to bike, and i already have the treadmill, so to me its not worth injury in the winter. Yea i guess those flashbacks can be a bit** huh!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do the odd run at 6 minute pace you'll be able to get back up to speed pretty easily when the warm weather comes. I don't worry about my track speed too much anymore, but back in my high school days I didn't have access to an indoor track (or treadmill for that matter) and I just ran distance and the odd fartlek run when the roads were somewhat clear (I live in Ontario). When late March or early April came around I started hitting the track 3 times a week and soon was ready to race 1500m, steeplechase and 3000m by May. If you are a track runner and don't race anything longer than 5000m or Olympic distance for tris, I wouldn't recommend running much more than 70-80 minutes of LSD.
Quote Reply
Re: LSD in the offseason? [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd say to stay away from it. My experience is that the flashbacks always mess me up.

:-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
It's good to see I wasn't the only one who interpreted the heading that way. I was actually disappointed when I read the post. I thought maybe there was some new radical training method out there. Would've been an interesting thread...
Quote Reply