Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Haven't seen a post about this in a while: Menopause and the Endurance Athlete ( A Match Made In Hell)
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,
I am suffering horribly from insomnia, brain fogginess, irritability, weight gain and night sweats. I also take bio-identicals, however, I am beginning to wonder if they even work or I need a different dose. I use to be able to get up at 4:30 in the morning every day or so and train and now I can barely make a 6:30 bike ride. After even a short workout I need a nap (and I am very fit). I have completed several IM's, however, I don't know if I can handle the training again at this rate. I am going back to the doctor about these issues (which have gotten worse past year or so).

Any suggestions? I have tried Melatonin but even the smallest dose gave me a terrible hangover. I feel like I have become the new ZombieTriathlete...

KK
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't seen a post about this in a while: Menopause and the Endurance Athlete ( A Match Made In Hell) [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a triathlete on bio identical s as well, my $.02 is to tell the person prescribing them about your current condition. It sounds like you are not on a high enough dose to make a difference. Full disclosure, I am NOT a physician, but I do have 10 years of experience taking them because they help. For me, the sleep disruption was a deal breaker.

Good luck and be prepared to get a second or third opinion. Because there is no patentable medicine for hormones, there is also not much research going into menopause ☹️

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't seen a post about this in a while: Menopause and the Endurance Athlete ( A Match Made In Hell) [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know a thing about this, but it sounds horrible and I hope your MD is able to find a solution for you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't offer much help but I too am struggling with menopause as an endurance athlete. I'm training for my first Ironman while dealing with menopause and it's tough. I did 4 Ironmans 4 years in a row from age 46 to 49 with no problems. Then we moved, covid, races postponed and menopause. I'm 51 now and struggling with hot flashes, sleep issues, fatigue, more niggles, reduced running speeds, etc. You are definitely not alone.

there is a great group on facebook called Hit Play Not Pause and it's mostly athletic women (many runners and triathletes) dealing with menopause or perimenopause. Lots of great support and advice on that forum and thankfully it's private!

Best wishes!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't seen a post about this in a while: Menopause and the Endurance Athlete ( A Match Made In Hell) [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read ROAR by Stacy Sims.
Join the FB group "hit play, not pause"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is going through a similar thing right now with few more (very personal) symptoms.
No idea how i can help her. We didn't have sex in a long time cause she started to have a strong pain during it. On her last visit to doctor she received a recommendation to try premarin cream which my help with that. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Apr 25, 22 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't seen a post about this in a while: Menopause and the Endurance Athlete ( A Match Made In Hell) [MitchMcCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some great resources for your wife included in the resources posted above. I highly recommend listening to the Hit Play Not Pause Podcast (https://livefeisty.com/.../hit-play-not-pause/). The host also has a facebook group by the same name that also has helpful information.

Dr. Stacey Sims and Selene Yeager also have a new book coming out called Next Level: Your Guide to Kicking Ass, Feeling Great and Crushing Goals Through Menopause and Beyond. I have had a sneak peak at a chapter and its looks like it will be amazing. It is available for preorder at Amazon and other retailers.
Quote Reply