Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in NZ Covid isn't impacting our daily lives much and there has been a consumption boom (people can't travel so spending money locally) which has led to shortages of a lot of products. Houses can't be finished because of no insulation, no copper pipes for A/C. Can't get cars, bikes will be available in 2022. Don't know about electronics. Shortages are fairly normal here, no one is surprised that they can't get the bike they want.

Why is it inexcusable to not be able to double or triple production? There is competition for labour in the main manufacturing regions of China and Taiwan and you can't onboard immediately even if you can grab extra staff. Most factories run with pretty minimal underutilised capacity. Giant did have some but they ramped production back up over a year ago and still can't match demand. There isn't much slack in the system to deal with a doubling of demand.

Further to that- the production ramp up is focussed on the categories that are moving - family friendly low-mid level MTBs and ebikes. Even top end MTB not a big priority for brands that are strong in ebikes. Tri sales have been terrible for most brands so no one is going to be investing in building up stocking levels of tri bikes when they can move a container of $800 mtbs more easily than a single tri machine...
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Here in NZ Covid isn't impacting our daily lives much and there has been a consumption boom (people can't travel so spending money locally) which has led to shortages of a lot of products. Houses can't be finished because of no insulation, no copper pipes for A/C. Can't get cars, bikes will be available in 2022. Don't know about electronics. Shortages are fairly normal here, no one is surprised that they can't get the bike they want.

Why is it inexcusable to not be able to double or triple production? There is competition for labour in the main manufacturing regions of China and Taiwan and you can't onboard immediately even if you can grab extra staff. Most factories run with pretty minimal underutilised capacity. Giant did have some but they ramped production back up over a year ago and still can't match demand. There isn't much slack in the system to deal with a doubling of demand.

Further to that- the production ramp up is focussed on the categories that are moving - family friendly low-mid level MTBs and ebikes. Even top end MTB not a big priority for brands that are strong in ebikes. Tri sales have been terrible for most brands so no one is going to be investing in building up stocking levels of tri bikes when they can move a container of $800 mtbs more easily than a single tri machine...

You are making excuses for mediocrity. It has been over 12 months since Covid hit. If I was on the board of a company that couldn't step up to meet demand after 12 months I would be sacking the CEO.

Bicycles are extremely basic. If you are telling me the failure to meet demand is due to a shortage of labor in a country of 1.4 billion people.....
Last edited by: dunno: Feb 18, 21 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
You are making excuses for mediocrity. It has been over 12 months since Covid hit. If I was on the board of a company that couldn't step up to meet demand after 12 months I would be sacking the CEO.

You are imagining a mythical bike company.
Working up through the chain (for typical made in asia brands, not boutique):

Very few own their sales channel (Canyon and other DTCs excepted obviously, Trek and other big guys have wound up owning bricks and mortar)
Very few own their distribution (DTC and the biggest brands excepted)
Almost no one owns assembly (Giant and Merida excepted)
Almost no one owns frame production (Giant and Merida excepted)
No one owns groupset production

Production allocation generally booked so far in advance that a 12mth increase in demand can't be accommodated. BOMs and POs for 2022 already locked in.

Bike brands don't have the vertical integration required to scale rapidly. If you fired your CEO the new one would go mad bashing their head against the wall trying to meet your demand for scaling. Absolutely no chance of pushing Shimano around.
That's before we talk about all the other suppliers to complete a built kit.

The factory that makes alloy bars for the majority of quality brands is at 19mth lead time.
Affordable brakes and forks at two years as mentioned previously.
You'll see in the share trackers below that prices took a dip during lockdowns as factories were closed. That created a backlog, industry came out of lockdowns to spiking demand and no chance of catching up.

And then we get on to ethos
I've talked with high end brands that are sold out and happy. No old stock, no discounting. Their results are good. Modest increase in production for next year which should all sell = another good year.
Or a brand that spans more of the market - previous year ~x bikes. Had been forecasting 1.15x for the year ahead. Demand at 2x. Have decided to make 1.6x. They're having a good year and will be maxed out increasing their capacity to move units.
The only brands I've talked to that aren't happy are Tri only. Everyone else is having a good time.

Not many brands keen on going crazy making bikes as we don't know whether this is a long term demand increase.
Everyone very cautious about tri as we don't know whether there will be a rebound in demand. I know of a couple of bikes that were ready for the start of this year and have been put back.

Not that many listed companies, here are the big three

And Canyon have been acquired.

CEOs are getting bonuses, not fired...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:

Bicycles are extremely basic. If you are telling me the failure to meet demand is due to a shortage of labor in a country of 1.4 billion people.....

EXACTLY THIS!

Far too many companies in all sectors are using "Due to the ongoing pandemic...." as a cover all phrase to excuse crap customer service. It's especially jarring when (as in the case with Canyon) they've ALWAYS had issues with stock levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
That model of Canyon has a list price in the UK of £7k which is equivalent to $9288. This is on par with full price options of similarly equipped bikes from the major brands and its why there have been a lot of comments from Europe and UK, being the historical target market for Canyon, taking a pass. If they were selling them in Europe for the prices you are seeing it would be a different story and I think there would have been a lot less nit-picking over the details.

However if it was my money I would buy the Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 SL. You will have no problem selling the wheels for $1000 making the price $6500. Combined with the wheels you already have you will have a bike that Canyons says is within 9 watts of the Canyons current super bike and given Canyon has never detailed that 9 watt number it may be much closer when you compare like-for-like setups.

Plus the new Speedamax is almost 1kg heavier at 9.38kgs, versus the SLX at 8.5. That's a huge difference!!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [matt.pocknell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt,
How are you liking the CF Di2?
I'm almost pulling the trigger on one at the moment.

One question, how tidy is the cabling? One drawback i have that i would have expected a clean front end of the bike (i'm coming from a Felt IA Di2) , but the pics on the canyon website look as if there is a lot of cable working going on.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Brems007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brems007 wrote:
Hi Matt,
How are you liking the CF Di2?
I'm almost pulling the trigger on one at the moment.

One question, how tidy is the cabling? One drawback i have that i would have expected a clean front end of the bike (i'm coming from a Felt IA Di2) , but the pics on the canyon website look as if there is a lot of cable working going on.

thanks

Hi,

I actually have the SLX, so cabling is completely integrated.

I’ve had the SLX a good few weeks now and there’s things I like and things I don’t like.

I like the look, and having confidence in disc breaks for the roads in my area, and the fact that race-ready wheels and a power meter were included - both things I didn’t already own.

I don’t like the integrated hydration (it’s not as easy to drink quickly from and unless I pour slowly into the top up valve, I get spillage), and the fact that I’m pretty much at the bike’s limit in terms of fit (obviously this is my fault, but since this is a totally Canyon front end, I need to wait for parts to make it a little longer, and there’s the obvious delays).

The actual buying experience with Canyon has been pretty good though, with good communication throughout.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [matt.pocknell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response Matt.

Interesting regarding being on the limit in the Canyon sizing. At 186cm i'm on the cusp between M and L. With the Canyon online calculator saying i should be a M.

What issues have you had?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
dunno wrote:

Far too many companies in all sectors are using "Due to the ongoing pandemic...." as a cover all phrase to excuse crap customer service. It's especially jarring when (as in the case with Canyon) they've ALWAYS had issues with stock levels.

If you're running a big bike manufacturer, a big part of the question is whether this huge increase in demand is temporary or permanent.
Unless you have a high confidence level that the demand is long term and not just a 18 month hump, then its commercial suicide to build substantially more capacity for a short term bump.
If you're so confident it is long term... go remortgage your own house, build a factory and start making bike parts to make loads of money.
Will you put your money where you mouth is ?

For Canyon in particular... go buy from another maker if you don't like their stock management.. plentry of other makers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brems007 wrote:

Interesting regarding being on the limit in the Canyon sizing. At 186cm i'm on the cusp between M and L. With the Canyon online calculator saying i should be a M.

I’m 183 cm on a M, but again that is a slightly different bike.

I found that from the start, even with the pads in the middle position, the extensions needed to be set at their maximum length. Now that I have dialled in my position, the pads are now as far forward as they can go and my hands go way beyond the ends of the extensions.

I have spoken with Canyon and they are sending longer extensions, but will be waiting till the autumn. I am also waiting to hear back about getting a new aerobar with the long stem.
Last edited by: matt.pocknell: Mar 11, 21 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [pesah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pesah wrote:
I have been lurking on ST for some time now but today received my speedmax disc and so happy that i needed to share :-)

Beautiful. What rear bottle holder is that? I'm looking to order mine tomorrow and see that they have two options on the site for it.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Skydive80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skydive80 wrote:
pesah wrote:
I have been lurking on ST for some time now but today received my speedmax disc and so happy that i needed to share :-)

Beautiful. What rear bottle holder is that? I'm looking to order mine tomorrow and see that they have two options on the site for it.

Thanks

Canyon Speedmax GP0221- 01 Bottle Adapter | CANYON NL
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [pesah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I will receive my new Speedmax CFR in blue soon and I will alter it to a 1 by setup using the 1x12s axs system.
This means I have to remove the derailleur and braze on derailleur mount.
I am a little worried of having a huge hole in my frame afterwards.
In the picture attached you can see that the derailleur mount is covered in 1x12 scenarios on speedmaxes out there.
Does someone with a speedmax know if these covers come with the frame or are avaiable? Or is there another solution to it?

Cheers

Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Voodoo90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voodoo90 wrote:
Hi all,

I will receive my new Speedmax CFR in blue soon and I will alter it to a 1 by setup using the 1x12s axs system.
In the picture attached you can see that the derailleur mount is covered in 1x12 scenarios on speedmaxes out there.
Does someone with a speedmax know if these covers come with the frame or are avaiable? Or is there another solution to it?

Cheers

Have you tried sending a message on Canyon’s website? In my experience they put you through to a local rep, and I have been able to have some components sent that aren’t listed on the website. Might be worth a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brems007 wrote:

Brems....I would say you are really really really on the very edge of the M.

I am 180cm and ride M, long stem and large extensions. I ride with the pads at their full forward position and the telescoping extensions almost full length. (They do not telescope very far, hence the three different sizes. I can't recall my X Y coordinates, but if you know yours and post them, I will look mine up to help you!

I have had my Speedmax Disc SLX Disc for 5 months now, with 3000km on it and one full iron-cowboy! distance race on it. I love the bike, but I'll start with the things to watch for:

Fit. Many buyers have been given the wrong cockpit information from Canyon. Check, Double check, re-check, re-confirm. They had to send me a new stem (which is the base bar too, so not a cheap part!) and extensions to get it right. My info was correct, so this was free to me and they compensated for the cost of installing new brake cables.

The arm rests are super small (but amazingly comfortable to me!) and they are narrow. For me, the 160mm center to center of each pad is perfect; that is also as wide as they go currently. Canyon could change this by offering a new plate that mounts the arm pads...and I'm sure they will...but when who knows.

What I love:

The hydration system works very well, especially with Canyon's Garmin mount that has a magnet to keep the straw where it belongs. Refilling in a race was no issue, and I did not have spillage like another poster. Just put the bottle down squarely to press open the valve and squeeze it in...you can overfill though...but compared to the splashing I had with about 5 other BTA solutions I had tried before, this is way better!

The flat kit in the BB has everything you need. I know this because I got a flat on the very first ride! I now have tubeless and hopefully won't be needing this (as often)

The bike is so much stiffer than my previous P5. Both in pedaling and while sitting on the aerobars. Really love this and find it a huge step forward for comfort. The Ergon hand grips for the Di2 version of the bike I ride are super comfortable, and my hands don't slip on them even with gel on my fingers. Same goes for the grips on the extensions, super tacky and in my opinion just right! The thick fork does not create road vibration and as an added bonus, I think this is why I have had zero issues with disc break rub/strange noises etc.

I have ridden it to just over 82km\h (flat road of course, you know..just pushing conservative watts!) and no speed wobble etc. Great!

Handles the cross winds as well as, if not better than, any bike with 62/80mm wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Voodoo90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voodoo90 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

White electric tape should cover and blend in nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one has talked about the longer pads that Canyon athletes have been using. It didn't seem to come up in the IM Tulsa thread but I first noticed it with Lange. But then on Instagram I noticed Imogen Simmods with it and scrolled through her feed and it is Canyon Part and not any COTS solution. Well I guess it's an after market solution but made by Canyon. Takes the bike up a notch a bit imo.

Lange's bike: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPMJqaaBBxw/

Simmonds bike: https://www.instagram.com/p/CN28irfBjed/

Will be interesting to see how front ends evolve at the manufacturer level vs. after market solutions.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jun 1, 21 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Surprised no one has talked about the longer pads that Canyon athletes have been using. It didn't seem to come up in the IM Tulsa thread but I first noticed it with Lange. But then on Instagram I noticed Imogen Simmods with it and scrolled through her feed and it is Canyon Park and not any COTS solution. Well I guess it's an after market solution but made by Canyon. Takes the bike up a notch a bit imo.

Will be interesting to see how front ends evolve at the manufacturer level vs. after market solutions.

i knew these were coming, but didn't know they had arrived. but i don't know if the have officially "arrived." i'll reach out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fourth animation under "comfort" was on the website since the launch day in november as coming soon (and still is):

https://www.canyon.com/.../#anchorlink-comfort

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcbesse wrote:
The fourth animation under "comfort" was on the website since the launch day in november as coming soon (and still is):

https://www.canyon.com/.../#anchorlink-comfort

ahh. yeah. i didn't know that was announced. i guess it's time to see if it's available for sale.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Surprised no one has talked about the longer pads that Canyon athletes have been using. It didn't seem to come up in the IM Tulsa thread but I first noticed it with Lange. But then on Instagram I noticed Imogen Simmods with it and scrolled through her feed and it is Canyon Park and not any COTS solution. Well I guess it's an after market solution but made by Canyon. Takes the bike up a notch a bit imo.

i knew these were coming, but didn't know they had arrived. but i don't know if the have officially "arrived." i'll reach out.

My long extensions are due to ship June 7. Looking forward to seeing how they affect my fit/setup. The small pads have been surprisingly comfortable over 3000km of riding on my SLX disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m looking to design a rear storage box for the Canyon speedmax disc. Similar to the one I’ve designed for the previous generation speedmax.

https://custombikexcessories.com/...nyon-speedmax-cf-slx

Wondering if there is anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area that has one. Would love to take some measurements off a couple of different sizes.

Email me at yann@custombikexcessories.com if interested

Thanks

Yann

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Sep 18, 21 21:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano shut down its factory in Malaysia which impacted badly component supply globally
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone in the US been able to buy a hydrapak bladder for the cf slx? https://www.canyon.com/...servoir/9101404.html, $50 for the bladder and $250 for shipping? WTF? The US website doesn't show it.
The canadian website shows it as well https://www.canyon.com/...servoir/9101404.html, but they wont ship to the US.

I see that it attaches to another piece that attaches to the frame , wondering how it attaches to that piece. I want to adapt the bento box I've designed for the Cervelo P5X/P3X https://custombikexcessories.com/...fuelselage-bento-box to fit the Canyon bladder.
Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area with the CFX that would be willing to let me take a look at the bladder?

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax Disc [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the Canyon Speedmax FB page there are an awful lot of posts from people experiencing cracked frames and base bars. What's the feedback here?
Quote Reply

Prev Next