Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss the days when conservatives were the rugged, self-sacrifice types.

How many 100's of years was that? I know a few libertarians who fit half that equation, but they are about as far from self sacrifice as one can get... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I miss the days when conservatives were the rugged, self-sacrifice types.

How many 100's of years was that? I know a few libertarians who fit half that equation, but they are about as far from self sacrifice as one can get... (-;

I might be confusing rugged with wanting to bomb things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:
I have gotten my 2 shots and am 3 weeks post second shot. I will continue to wear my mask until I feel that more people have gotten the shot. I also will continue to avoid people until my daughter is fully vaccinated (first shot now Saturday, previously appt. for Tuesday). I've gone this long being safe, why fuck that up????

I feel sorry for you, living in such fear.

There is just so much stupid in this statement. A person looks out for his family and actually cares what is going on around him but is just living in fear. I guess not giving a fuck about anyone other than yourself works for you.

All along, everyone has been saying "oh you have to follow the CDC guidance." Except now the CDC guidance says you don't have to wear it if you're vaccinated. And yet a bunch of you are saying you're going to continue to wear one anyway. And his actual words were that he's going to continue wearing one until he "feels that more people have gotten the shot". So he's going on feelings instead of CDC guidance.

exactly. I was thinking the same thing. Up until now, CDC guidelines were gospel. Now, not so much...I guess.

Anyway, I've been fully vaccinated since January. As far as wearing a mask, I'll wear one if it makes others more comfortable. If others still want to wear a mask, thats okay too. Whatever.

I'm fully Vaccinated, but I'm not wearing a mask just to make someone else feel comfortable. If they're that uncomfortable and living that much in fear they can stay home.

I'm fully vaccinated, I wear pants every time I leave the house largely because I don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable. It's really not a big deal.

I find it odd that some people have been convinced that wearing a mask is some kind of dire burden that has to be endured. Anybody being honest would admit it was a minor inconvenience that we adapted to pretty quickly. I miss the days when conservatives were the rugged, self-sacrifice types.

I went to the gym today, they are no longer requiring masks. I left my mask on out of respect for the staff that was still wearing masks. Really not a big deal, fear played zero part in the decision.

Not everybody can easily wear a mask. I can barely wear one long enough to go to the grocery store. I quit my job that I loved because it required wearing a mask.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I went to the gym today, they are no longer requiring masks. I left my mask on out of respect for the staff that was still wearing masks. Really not a big deal, fear played zero part in the decision.

The gym staff I see were taking their masks off when they were working out, until we all had to wear them while working out. It will be the same now, they wear them while training others, take them off when they lift. They are just following work conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:

Not everybody can easily wear a mask. I can barely wear one long enough to go to the grocery store. I quit my job that I loved because it required wearing a mask.

How do you do with pants?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

They're fine, but they don't keep my farts in.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

I'm trying to be less sarcastic, it's not going well.

Honest question, what is it about having a piece of cloth over your face that you find so objectionable? I don't get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

Honest question, what is it about having a piece of cloth over your face that you find so objectionable? I don't get it.

Objectionable or annoying?

I don't find them objectionable and I am pissed off the guidance changed however I loathe wearing them because they're annoying, get damp, muffle voices etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:

Thatā€™s interesting because I forget to take mine off. I wear a mask in my house when workers are over, and Iā€™ve found myself still wearing the mask hours after they leave. Iā€™ve accidentally worn a mask while driving (like every time I drive home from a store practically). Iā€™ve caught myself accidentally wearing one outside alone on the chaise lounge with a book and even into the tub once! Ha! I got fully undressed and in the tub without noticing the face mask!! šŸ˜‚

My youngest child forgets to take his off. Heā€™ll wear it alone in his room if I forget to remind him to take it off. He got sea sick while out deep sea fishing and didnā€™t take it off before throwing up. My youngest was sandwiched between the other two kids in a booth in the cabin of the boat. My eldest said it was horrible to see.

Iā€™ve biked 50 miles and run in the de Soto masks. I otherwise wear regular multi-ply cloth masks from Target. I wear glasses to read, so I have some cloth ones with the metal piece to fit nicely. I donā€™t know why they would cause trouble.

Do you wear a big hefty mask? Are you out of shape? Is it mental? Claustrophobia?
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild, is that really you, or did some Big Gubment Nanny State Leftist hijack your account? What about FREEEDOM!!?

Hey I'm just happy some of you liberal wing-nuts can actually agree with common sense. I'm sure it won't be too long before MSNBC and CNN tell you that someone can identify as vaccinated and you'll be up in arms about how Big-Pharma is making billions of dollars being anti-choice. But biology is like the Constitution. Fluid right? I'm guessing in the next year all the printing of money will give you a little insight into the science of economics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

I have a very weak gag reflex, without constantly pulling it away I'm coughing and gagging.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:

I have a very weak gag reflex, without constantly pulling it away I'm coughing and gagging.

The mind is a powerful thing.

Thank God youā€™re not a woman.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

And thank God weā€™re not his wife!
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

Thatā€™s interesting because I forget to take mine off. I wear a mask in my house when workers are over, and Iā€™ve found myself still wearing the mask hours after they leave. Iā€™ve accidentally worn a mask while driving (like every time I drive home from a store practically). Iā€™ve caught myself accidentally wearing one outside alone on the chaise lounge with a book and even into the tub once! Ha! I got fully undressed and in the tub without noticing the face mask!! šŸ˜‚

My youngest child forgets to take his off. Heā€™ll wear it alone in his room if I forget to remind him to take it off. He got sea sick while out deep sea fishing and didnā€™t take it off before throwing up. My youngest was sandwiched between the other two kids in a booth in the cabin of the boat. My eldest said it was horrible to see.

Iā€™ve biked 50 miles and run in the de Soto masks. I otherwise wear regular multi-ply cloth masks from Target. I wear glasses to read, so I have some cloth ones with the metal piece to fit nicely. I donā€™t know why they would cause trouble.

Do you wear a big hefty mask? Are you out of shape? Is it mental? Claustrophobia?

That is really weird how acclimated you have become. That you could be wearing one alone at home for hours without realizing is preposterous.
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/12/13/economics-science-wang/

Science?
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
That is really weird how acclimated you have become. That you could be wearing one alone at home for hours without realizing is preposterous.

I think itā€™s silly, too. But Iā€™m not sure that itā€™s any more silly than not being able to withstand a mask for a trip to the grocery store.

If you run enough, running just feels like living. If you sit on a bike long enough, it stops hurting your butt. If you build up some endurance and toughness, life feels easier.

Back in my athletic days we talked about ā€œtoughness training.ā€ That encompassed everything from eating Taco Bell on the way to a group ride with sprints to long solo efforts where you are guaranteed to feel sad, tired and lonely.

Iā€™ve wondered if the anti-mask crowd is just not that tough? Maybe they are not used to discomfort.
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: May 15, 21 21:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:

... A person who's so abjectly terrified of a piece of cloth over his mouth that he works himself into uncontrollable panic attacks... decides to barrel into a discussion about masks to lecture people about living in fear?

I generally try to empathize with people who are working through some complicated mental issues... especially when those mental issues end up having physical manifestations that they can't control... but it becomes exponentially tougher to do that when those people lob insults about the normative, reasonable, and justifiable behavior of others, rather than acknowledging their own problems. Maybe you could rethink your strategy on this one? One place to start would be by acknowledging that another person wearing a mask has the exact same number of negative ramifications for you as another person wearing a button-down shirt... and since there appears to be some evidence that it reduces airborne pathogens (there's no need to complicate this... it's a barrier in front of the portion of your body that produces airborne pathogens...) you'll get to reap the benefits from other people's cautious behaviors...

Furthermore, there are some pretty bright people on this board, and I bet a few of them would be happy to propose strategies that could help you work through the problems you're encountering, and then maybeā€”one day in the futureā€”there'd be a chance that you could also contribute to some of those collective benefits which, in your current state, you're only able to draw down...
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trois_pample wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

... A person who's so abjectly terrified of a piece of cloth over his mouth that he works himself into uncontrollable panic attacks... decides to barrel into a discussion about masks to lecture people about living in fear?

I generally try to empathize with people who are working through some complicated mental issues... especially when those mental issues end up having physical manifestations that they can't control... but it becomes exponentially tougher to do that when those people lob insults about the normative, reasonable, and justifiable behavior of others, rather than acknowledging their own problems. Maybe you could rethink your strategy on this one? One place to start would be by acknowledging that another person wearing a mask has the exact same number of negative ramifications for you as another person wearing a button-down shirt... and since there appears to be some evidence that it reduces airborne pathogens (there's no need to complicate this... it's a barrier in front of the portion of your body that produces airborne pathogens...) you'll get to reap the benefits from other people's cautious behaviors...

Furthermore, there are some pretty bright people on this board, and I bet a few of them would be happy to propose strategies that could help you work through the problems you're encountering, and then maybeā€”one day in the futureā€”there'd be a chance that you could also contribute to some of those collective benefits which, in your current state, you're only able to draw down...

Hey you ass, when did I say I'm terrified of a piece of cloth over my mouth or it was a panic attack? It's just a physical condition, nothing mental about it. Back in the days when I used to ski I would try to wear a full face mask for warmth, couldn't do that then either.

And yes, it's a good thing I'm not gay (I knew someone (not you) would go there lol).

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Thom wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
chxddstri wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
velocomp wrote:
I have gotten my 2 shots and am 3 weeks post second shot. I will continue to wear my mask until I feel that more people have gotten the shot. I also will continue to avoid people until my daughter is fully vaccinated (first shot now Saturday, previously appt. for Tuesday). I've gone this long being safe, why fuck that up????

I feel sorry for you, living in such fear.

There is just so much stupid in this statement. A person looks out for his family and actually cares what is going on around him but is just living in fear. I guess not giving a fuck about anyone other than yourself works for you.

All along, everyone has been saying "oh you have to follow the CDC guidance." Except now the CDC guidance says you don't have to wear it if you're vaccinated. And yet a bunch of you are saying you're going to continue to wear one anyway. And his actual words were that he's going to continue wearing one until he "feels that more people have gotten the shot". So he's going on feelings instead of CDC guidance.

exactly. I was thinking the same thing. Up until now, CDC guidelines were gospel. Now, not so much...I guess.

Anyway, I've been fully vaccinated since January. As far as wearing a mask, I'll wear one if it makes others more comfortable. If others still want to wear a mask, thats okay too. Whatever.

I'm fully Vaccinated, but I'm not wearing a mask just to make someone else feel comfortable. If they're that uncomfortable and living that much in fear they can stay home.

I'm fully vaccinated, I wear pants every time I leave the house largely because I don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable. It's really not a big deal.

I find it odd that some people have been convinced that wearing a mask is some kind of dire burden that has to be endured. Anybody being honest would admit it was a minor inconvenience that we adapted to pretty quickly. I miss the days when conservatives were the rugged, self-sacrifice types.

Get a doctors note. Can't wear a mask for health reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

The CDC should have used you as the posterchild for masks. Unbelievable. I suppose I am glad for you it was obviously not a big deal. For many people, living through this was very frustrating and difficult. Thank goodness I work from home and don't wear one unless going into a store and it comes off as fast as I can take it off when leaving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

And thank God weā€™re not his wife!

Not sure if this applies.

I have a feeling ironclm meant that to be a subtle blow job joke..... in response to "very weak gag reflex comment"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:

Hey you ass, when did I say I'm terrified of a piece of cloth over my mouth or it was a panic attack? It's just a physical condition, nothing mental about it. Back in the days when I used to ski I would try to wear a full face mask for warmth, couldn't do that then either.

And yes, it's a good thing I'm not gay (I knew someone (not you) would go there lol).

It seems like this is the point where you would realize that you are the outlier and apologize for accusing people that were willing to tolerate a minor inconvenience of living in fear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There may be some small component that is physical, maybe a constricted airway or some-such, but it is mostly a mental issue. I frequently deal with people who have similar issues, and I expect you will disagree with this, as most of them do.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: CDC said off with the mask if [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:
There may be some small component that is physical, maybe a constricted airway or some-such, but it is mostly a mental issue. I frequently deal with people who have similar issues, and I expect you will disagree with this, as most of them do.

Especially since the gag reflex is something triggered by contact with the roof of your mouth, back of the throat or tongue near the tonsils. If a mask is triggering a gag reflex, he's wearing it wrong.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next