Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is an easy rim to get tires on?
Quote | Reply
My old ZIPP 404's are nearly impossible to change a flat on. Even my local bike shop destroys tubes trying to change flats when I go running to them for help. I have read everything on how to change tires (bead in well, talcum powder, etc) and I am not even close to getting the tires on these days. I haven't been able to get my tire on for over a month and have tried two different ones. I am competitive at IM's and want a good aerodynamic rim but I need something that I can get a tire on and off of. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: What is an easy rim to get tires on? [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know about the rims, but some tires are way easier to get off and on than others, and it's cheaper than new rims. Have you tried different ones?
Quote Reply
Re: What is an easy rim to get tires on? [TricentralPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Yes, and thank your for your response! I can easily get anything on and off all of my other older-than-dirt rims. I may just use those for IMFL. It makes me nervous to spend a fortune for something new and end up with the same battle that I have always had with the ZIPPs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get new tires before every IM race. Which, basically if you flat on they are a total pain the butt to reseat after fixing a flat.

Now, based on a tip from one of my workout hubbies, I will take the tires off after the race, put them on spare wheel sets to keep them stretched and reinstall them prior to my next IM race. Basically it helps keep the tired stretched and more pliable than a brand new tire. Its a little work, but since like you I have a hard time changing flats and reseating the tire its worth it to me. Might be something to try moving forward. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each rim/tire combo will be different. You might find it's a matter of trial and error - take your rims to your IBD and ask if you can try different tires.
Equally - are you getting lots of flats or are you just wanting an easier fir in case you get a flat?
Like another poster said might be cheaper to find easier tires than different rims.

I'm tempted to say try cheaper tires as are made to less stringent tolerances. Continental tires have always been super tight for me no matter the rims but are great tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Zipps are the WORST. I broke six or so tire levers, and two strong roadies broke two, also, trying to help over the years. Trading my Zipps for Enves made a huge difference in my life, to be sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are your wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about tubulars? Barring a catastrophic material failure, the typical puncture holes from nails, tacks or thorns should be easily fixable with something like Hutchinson Fast Air spray foam.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If u are still having problems , pm me , I have 2 ideas of what might help.
Quote Reply
Re: What is an easy rim to get tires on? [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered some Enves. Am glad to hear they made a difference. I don't see how I managed with my old Zipps for so many years.
Quote Reply
Re: What is an easy rim to get tires on? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are pretty old, maybe 10 years. I think thinner rim tape might help, but at this point I am tired of the constant fight every time I flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that baking my tires in the sun for an hour is the only way to get my Conti 5000 tubeless on my Reynolds Aero 80's. If I flat in a race though? I've got major problems unless a very hot race. So anyone thinking of getting that combo..... don't. However, I run tubeless and have had great success with avoiding flats while my clincher friends I've ridden with have flatted on rides with me.

Team Zoot
Conejo Valley Masters Swimming
Conejo Valley Triathlon Team
Go H2okies!
Quote Reply