Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Great service here, can’t get a bike in in my country due to covid restrictions and local bike fitter booked out until July assuming he recommences fits in June, so great to have found this service.

Going to pull the trigger on a speedmax cf.
My measurements are as follows and worked out the Pad X and Y following the instructions on your YouTube video. I have currently been doing time trials on my 2015 aeroad by putting on some aero bars and the bike is an XL and has 175mm cranks, and the measurements below based off the set up on this bike. I like to put the saddle forward as far as possible and sit on the nose. I won’t be doing any long distance triathlons or time trials, just 10 milers and 25 mile tts, so can probably ride a bit more aggressive position.
Height: 192cm
Inseam: 94cm (I have long legs)
Pad Y: 670
Pad X (to back of pad): 470
Centre of BB to top of saddle 845

The canyon site is saying large based on my height and inseam.
Thanks a million

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Nallzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Great service here, can’t get a bike in in my country due to covid restrictions and local bike fitter booked out until July assuming he recommences fits in June, so great to have found this service.

Going to pull the trigger on a speedmax cf.
My measurements are as follows and worked out the Pad X and Y following the instructions on your YouTube video. I have currently been doing time trials on my 2015 aeroad by putting on some aero bars and the bike is an XL and has 175mm cranks, and the measurements below based off the set up on this bike. I like to put the saddle forward as far as possible and sit on the nose. I won’t be doing any long distance triathlons or time trials, just 10 milers and 25 mile tts, so can probably ride a bit more aggressive position.
Height: 192cm
Inseam: 94cm (I have long legs)
Pad Y: 670
Pad X (to back of pad): 470
Centre of BB to top of saddle 845

The canyon site is saying large based on my height and inseam.
Thanks a million

Brian,

Mmmmm... this is good one. I'm impressed that you got your Pad Y down to 670 on a road bike, well done! I think that's probably a really good Pad Y for you. I suspect that you'll ride a hair longer than 470 on a real TT bike. The saddle will be farther forward than even the road bike pushed all the way. I think your Pad X could get out to 500ish.

Okay, the Large works and you'll have plenty of room to set up at Pad X of 470 or 500 or fore/aft of those numbers if you so wish. Here's the issue.... the rock bottom Pad Y on the Large is 660 and you're at 670. If down the road you rally wanted to go lower you'd have to pull well matched Canyon stem and put on an aftermarket, round, over-the-counter stem that was a -17deg pitch to get down lower.

If you went with a Medium... your Pad Y of 670 is in the middle of that bike's range so you could go lower if you wanted....but... the max Pad X on that bike is 495 with the 80mm stem that comes stock.

So, here's my advice. GET THE MEDIUM. Set it up the way you think it should be, ride it. If you feel like you want to move the cockpit out farther simple call Canyon, buy a 90mm stem for the CF and put that on your bike and you'll buy yourself more Pad X to get it if you want it.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, I would appreciate your advice on sizing of Speedmax SLX disc: saddle 790mm / Pad Y 655 / Pad X 460. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [macjones17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the analysis, the level of detail is brilliant.

Just made the purchase and now really excited and can’t wait to finally have a tt bike, been putting it off for years.

Thanks again and when I knock out a few fast times I’ll let you know.
Cheers
Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Im interested in getting the new Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc. Below are the measurements you require in order to make a recommendation.

Seat height: 767
Pad-Y: 695
Pad-X: 480

Additional info if it helps:

Height: 1.80m
Inseam: 840
Currently ride QR PR5 size 54

Thanks,
Alain
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [macjones17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, I would appreciate your advice on sizing of Speedmax SLX disc: saddle 790mm / Pad Y 655 / Pad X 460. Thank you

macjones17,
You're perfect for a size Large Speedmax SLX - short cockpit that comes stock low pedestal, easy, perfect.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedmax CFR: My bike fitter wants to know if the reach dimensions for the armpads is to the center of the pads or the near end of the pads. The graphic on the canyon website appears to align the dimension with the end of the pad. When I call canyon I get confusing responses. An admitted newbie says the dimension is to the center of the pad, but they dont have the actual pad dimensions.
Last edited by: GBrown: Apr 28, 21 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatly appreciated Ian - thank you! Do you recommend the riser bar or flat?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [GBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont really know how to use the forum so here goes: Speedmax CFR: My bike fitter wants to know if the reach dimensions for the armpads is to the center of the pads or the near end of the pads. The graphic on the canyon website appears to align the dimension with the end of the pad. When I call canyon I get confusing responses. An admitted newbie says the dimension is to the center of the pad, but they dont have the actual pad dimensions.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Greatly appreciated Ian - thank you! Do you recommend the riser bar or flat?

macjones17,
I recommend the flat bar for several reasons..
1) that's the bar that comes stock on the Speedmax and it's included. As things to right now if you want a rise bar you have to purchase one and install it later. I don't what costs, I'd like to find out... and then you're gonna pay a mechanic to build it in. UGGG $$$
2) If you needed 80+mm of pedestal then I might see justification for bringing the brake position/pursuit position/bull horns closer to your aerobar position but for you especially with the short pedestal - no need.
3) Triathletes don't need to and shouldn't spends loads of time with hands on the bull horns - and when do need to be there (screaming descents, technical turns, etc) it's nice to get down and bring the center of our mass lower so that the bike balances well.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [GBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Speedmax CFR: My bike fitter wants to know if the reach dimensions for the armpads is to the center of the pads or the near end of the pads. The graphic on the canyon website appears to align the dimension with the end of the pad. When I call canyon I get confusing responses. An admitted newbie says the dimension is to the center of the pad, but they dont have the actual pad dimensions.

GBrown,
This is an honest, great, and fair question....
The 2021 bikes... the disc brake bikes are all measured to the rear of the pad. This is the way it should have been from day one but we (the tri bike industry) got a little bogged down. The 2020, 2019, 2018, etc were all measured to the center.

If I can help with the Pad Y and Pad X "prescribers" if you, your fitter, anybody needs help.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Alain1406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
Im interested in getting the new Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc. Below are the measurements you require in order to make a recommendation.

Alain,
Based on your current Pad Y/Pad X the right SLX would be a size Large. The pad location looks great - stock short stem cockpit will be perfect, mid pedestal (also stock) perfect, pads pushed forward quite a bit - it's all great. There won't be a ton of seat post sticking out of the bike so one of the water bottle boses will be in the frame.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank Ian...that seems to make sense to me based upon their graphic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you again Ian for your great advice. I have been holding off on the purchase through struggling with the decision and sizing for some time - have ordered the large. Best Regards, Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting the Speedmax CF 8 DISC eTap. Torn between S and M but leaning towards M with the attached fit.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am looking at getting the Speedmax CF 8 DISC eTap. Torn between S and M but leaning towards M with the attached fit.
Tri0014,
It has to be the Small. I don't think the Medium will allow you to get your saddle height of 724. And, the Medium would have you rock-bottom slammed in terms of your Pad Y of 637 with no were to move if you so desired. The Small puts you in a sweet spot with lots of room to move fore/aft, up/down with the arm pads to perfect your fit, and nails your saddle height.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

I'm interested in getting the Canyon Speedmax CFR. Below are my measurements. Please let me know what size would work best for me!

Seat height: 823
Pad-Y: 693
Pad-X: 506

Height: 1.91m
Inseam: 92.0cm (no shoes)
Crank length: 172.5mm
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,

I'm interested in getting the Canyon Speedmax CFR. Below are my measurements. Please let me know what size would work best for me!
Seat height: 823
Pad-Y: 693
Pad-X: 506
Height: 1.91m
Inseam: 92.0cm (no shoes)
Crank length: 172.5mm

iamAERO,
You're so right for an XL in the CFR. And you can do it with the short cockpit that comes stock. You can either do the mid spacer or the low spacer with tilt wedges- all those pieces come with the bike, and pads pushed nearly 100% forward. The aero extension that will come on this bike will be the medium. You'll probably need to slide the telescoping aerobar insert out 100%, and then tilt the grips down a hair. If that still doesn't satisfy your extension length then you can get a longer extension, but you might be okay with the stock bits.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thanks for the recommendation. I was about to order the Medium size since that is what the website suggests. If you don't mind, what is the rationale behind the recommendation of a Large? I just want peace of mind when ordering, and knowing the rationale would go a long way towards that end. I do have a bike fit report from my current bike done a few months ago. Thanks again.

Alain
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Alain1406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Ian,

Alain,
Based on your current Pad Y/Pad X the right SLX would be a size Large. The pad location looks great - stock short stem cockpit will be perfect, mid pedestal (also stock) perfect, pads pushed forward quite a bit - it's all great. There won't be a ton of seat post sticking out of the bike so one of the water bottle boses will be in the frame. Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the recommendation. I was about to order the Medium size since that is what the website suggests. If you don't mind, what is the rationale behind the recommendation of a Large? I just want peace of mind when ordering, and knowing the rationale would go a long way towards that end. I do have a bike fit report from my current bike done a few months ago. Thanks again. Alain

Alain,
I want you to have piece of mind as well - good that you wrote. I've made plenty of errors on this thread (and in other numbers related stuff in the past) so it's nice to double check.

The primary reason for my recommendation for an SLX in size Large is because the Medium Pad Y maxes out at 690mm and you're at 695. Typically I'm willing to let 2-5mm slide as "noise" - fresh pads vs compressed pads can be 2mm alone. I want a bike like this to last you... perhaps a decade and in that time you might want to "come up" and ride at 700mm or even 710 as you age, and there's just no room to go that direction with the Medium. Also, the max Pad X on the SLX Medium is 483 and that's with the long stem cockpit which is an aftermarket purchase (at least it is here in the USA). Your Pad Y/X of 695/480 paints you almost exactly in the tallest/highest corner of this bike's capabilities - when, on the other hand, it puts you very near the center of the size Large - and I means the center of the Large with the stock build that comes out of the box.

I'm not sure where the my recco and the site's suggestion differ - is it perhaps that I'm spec'ing the SLX and the site is taking your numbers into account for the CF? 'Cause you are for sure a Medium in the CF.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I looked at the geometry table for the bike and I can now see exactly what you are referring to. The website gives me a suggestion for a medium for both the SLX and CFR...as well as the older CF Design (with my height and inseam inputs).

Now all I have to do is wait for the bike to be available for order. Thanks again.

Alain
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Nallzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello! I never owned tri bike, but plan to order Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc eTap. My height is 182, inseam 84, forearm length 38. From the rough perspective I need M size, but when it comes to the rest of customization, I'm stuck. Basically, I don't know whether I need a flat bar or a rise bar, and especially - the stem length (65 or 85 mm). Would you mind please give me some recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Takhir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello! I never owned tri bike, but plan to order Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc eTap. My height is 182, inseam 84, forearm length 38. From the rough perspective I need M size, but when it comes to the rest of customization, I'm stuck. Basically, I don't know whether I need a flat bar or a rise bar, and especially - the stem length (65 or 85 mm). Would you mind please give me some recommendations?

Takhir,
Based on your morphology (long-ish legs) I'd guess your Pad Y to be around 650 and your Pad X to be roughly 475.

For the Speedmax SLX the size Medium is the right call and I think you'd do well with mid pedestal that comes built into the bike... now, here's the thing... the bike will come stock with the short stem/flat cockpit and you should work with that at first. I think you'll need to push the pads out 100% and if that doesn't give you enough length then you can order the long cockpit - still flat though, you won't need the rise bar.

This prescription will be true for the CFR too but not the CF - that bike has both different geometry and front end hardware.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Looking at trying to pick up a CF SLX Disc. Currently on M SpeedConcept and should have been on a L as I am a bit to slammed.

Height 185.5
Inseam 84
Fit bike (adjusted for 170s)
661 stack
470 reach

It seems I am a L on the reach and in between on the stack.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Takhir,
Based on your morphology (long-ish legs) I'd guess your Pad Y to be around 650 and your Pad X to be roughly 475.

For the Speedmax SLX the size Medium is the right call and I think you'd do well with mid pedestal that comes built into the bike... now, here's the thing... the bike will come stock with the short stem/flat cockpit and you should work with that at first. I think you'll need to push the pads out 100% and if that doesn't give you enough length then you can order the long cockpit - still flat though, you won't need the rise bar.

This prescription will be true for the CFR too but not the CF - that bike has both different geometry and front end hardware.

Ian

Hi Ian!

Thank you for your response. But as far as I heard, if the short stem won't work, then the long one would cost EUR 400 or so for me...
Also, what is the benefit of the rise bar? I see most uses the flat bar, but maybe that is due to rise bars haven't been available at all in the past for all bikes?
Quote Reply

Prev Next