Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale! YEEHAH!"
Quote | Reply
Hey all - although I'm no Speedy Gonzalez, I recently ran a 4 mile race with a HR monitor and could use a little help from the ST experts/coaches interpreting the data.

Background:
I'm 28. I was an All-State swimmer (sprints) in high school, got a
little fat and lot drunk in college and now, after a bit of a transition period after college, I'm entering my second year of doing local sprint/Olympic tris. I'm currently running 3-5hrs (6days) a week. I'm focusing on a 1/2 ironman in July and a marathon in October.

Recent Running Results:
1:25 1/2 marathon (6:30 pace) (2005)

Weekend 4 mile data:

Total Time: 25:06 (mile splits: 6:09, 5:57, 6:29, 6:31)

Average HR for 4 miles = 177
Max HR within 4 miles = 187 (occurred at surge toward finish line)

Now other than my terrible attempt to even pace and the subsequent fizzle at the end, what do you think about these numbers? Does the HR information make sense? Is the average of roughly 92% of my Max HR(see below) typical for short race. I've been training "long" and slow to build endurance at 60-70% of Max HR. Can a highly trained athlete maintain pace closer to they max HR? Would someone with a high VO2Max be able to carry a higher average HR throughout the race...and obviously run a lot faster too?

My resting HR is 45 and I've recently obtained my Max HR on tread mill = 191 (actually read 187 but I added a couple beats as a wuss factor.)

I want to be fast like you!
thanks for the feedback.

Adios!
Quote Reply
Re: "Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale! YEEHAH!" [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mind if I ask a question? How would you judge your fitness difference between the half-marathon and the 4 miler?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from any of the races in which I am enterd, you are clearly too fast on the run with too much of a swimming background to be in my AG!

Putting down 6:30's is damn fast where I come from, especially if you can swim. Assuming you are not riding on something with training wheels i will expect to see you with some top AG honors around the MI circuit.

Which 1/2 are you running? I'll be at GH and maybe Steelhead provided I don't fall off the wagon halfway through the summer!

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me the heart rate data makes total sense. You want to start doing threshold work. I also suggest training by miles, not time. Long run once a week and threshold once a week should be about. If you are running around 35 miles a week these two runs will total about 18(10 for long and 8 for threshold) of those miles. You have 3 runs left at about 6 a run. Ideally a long run would be 1/5 of your total week but with weeks under 50, and a goal of a HIM I can't see a long run under 10.

I'm surprised your average HR was so high. The splits seem to make sense with the perceived effort of this workout. All in all if that 1:25 was legit you're not doing too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't wear your HR monitor in running races.

And remember, Lydiard never advocated long and slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heart rate is highly individual. I wore my hr monitor for a half-marathon once and averaged 181 with 7 or 8 consecutive miles at exactly 183. My heart rate max is about 195 or so. I also once ran a cross-country 8K with an average heart rate of 190. In running races heart rate really doesn't mean anything to me. On that race where I ran at 190 I did not finish very well and was beaten by a runner that I had easily toasted a month earlier wearing trainers--my heart rate was only 184 for that race.

You seem to be working well at building up to longer distances. Just to be sure you receive conflicting advice--a slowtwitch requirement--I would urge you to resist doing anything other than you are already doing. Running at 60-70 percent max is good enough for most triathletes. If you are working toward half-IM I would make it goal to build up to 6-7--if you have the time--hours of running with at least one run in the 1:45 range. If you were a good swimmer and time is a premium then you should swim just enough to maintain a good time and build up the bike volume to roughly double the time you run. I run mostly trails and sand and ride a lot of hills, so I don't even pay attention to the actual miles, since I don't have the first clue of my distance.

If you have hills in your area then you want to spend some time riding and running them. Hills will build strength and raise your heart rate enough to accustom you to hard efforts. Don't kill yourself on them. Just keep steady. You sound plenty talented, so if you put in the work you will be pleased to see what happens.

One poster here recently mentioned that he trained as much for half-IM as for IM, so if you really want to excell you have plenty of time to build up volume and can look forward to PRs for years to come.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: "Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale! YEEHAH!" [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that I was in better shape for the 1/2 marathon than the recent 4 mile...but quantifying it is tough. All I can say is the that the 1/2 was in October after a whole summer of training and the recent 4 miler was last weekend during the "off season" with mostly aerobic zone training.

Thanks for the inquiry.
Quote Reply
Re: "Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale! YEEHAH!" [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What up Big,

Yeah, 6:15 - 6:30 are stand alone right now. Last summer I could pull 7:00/miles during an oly tri. One of my goal this year is to increase the ride/run fitness to be closer to 6:30s in a race. That still won't put me up there with the big dogs but maybe I can finish before they're horking down the 'zza at the after party!

GH 1/2 is on my calendar.

Train hard. Train Smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look forward to seeing you at the GH 1/2, I will be spending all of my time from now until then trying to get my run splits down into the 7:00 area. I'm more of a swimmer and hope to hold my own on the bike, maybe this year I won't get smoked on the run at every event.

Are you doing any early season races?

Peter

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it actually Andale Andale Arriba Arriba :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale! YEEHAH!" [praks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is way, way different from "enculaste"
Quote Reply