Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at a Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 SL (rim brake) , I'd like to fit into a small if possible, my X coordinate is 487 and my Y is 622. I'm just under 5'9" with an inseam of 33". Can I get away with a small or should I go for a medium?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

Im looking to purchase a Speedmax CF SLX Disc 8 eTap. I have never had a proper fit so I'm not sure my stack height etc.

I am 6'4" and have a 34.5" inseam. Measurements were taken with bare feet. All signs point to a large, but I didnt know if I could get onto a Medium.

Thanks
Pete
Last edited by: Skydive80: Apr 19, 21 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, I ordered my Speedmax SLX disc in November two days after the bike was announced. 2400km later it is now ready for its first race this weekend which will be Challenge Taiwan full distance. I love the bike, have never been happier with one, and it fits like a glove.

I want to thank you for your advice. When I ordered, you told me I needed a M frame, 85stem, long extensions, flat bar.

Canyon's fit team insisted I needed a M frame, 65m stem and medium extensions, flat bar.

I had to go with their suggestions as they were very insistent and worried I would not get support later if you happened to be wrong.

Turned out you were exactly right. Canyon had to send a new stem ($399USD bar...stem and base bar) and the extensions ($130USD part). They also gave me the large arm rests as compensation for paying my shop to switch the parts and lay new brake lines. YOU made this difference and I wish to thank you! Hopefully I will see you at the Canyon booth in Kona when we are all back on the island racing so I can thank you in person.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian, I ordered my Speedmax SLX disc in November two days after the bike was announced. 2400km later it is now ready for its first race this weekend which will be Challenge Taiwan full distance. I love the bike, have never been happier with one, and it fits like a glove.

I want to thank you for your advice. When I ordered, you told me I needed a M frame, 85stem, long extensions, flat bar.

. YOU made this difference and I wish to thank you! Hopefully I will see you at the Canyon booth in Kona when we are all back on the island racing so I can thank you in person.

Darren325,

Amazing post. Thank you. So happy it worked out for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rait.mand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Could you please help me determining whether I should be fine on Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 rim brake version size M?
Since I have a little longer legs, I am a bit affraid the Speedmax might not be the best option for me.

Height - 184cm
Inseam 92cm
Armspan 192cm
Not very flexible if it counts
Road bike saddle height 81cm

Thank you in advance!

rait.mand,
I think your Pad Y is roughly 660mm and your Pad X is about 480
For the rim brake Canyon Speedmax CF...
you can fit on an XL with the stock 90mm stem
you can fit on a L... maybe with the 90mm stem with pads out as far as they will go
you can even fit on a M but not with the 80mm stem, you'd have to get a 110stem to make that work

It's good that you have these options because the rim brake bikes are harder to find now.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, thanks for your thoughts! That is really helpful to know that you would recommend the medium on the new, disc, speedmax. It's so hard to know which way to go you are right on the edge of canyon's suggestions.

Just to make sure I'm not missing something -- you're suggesting that on the old, rim, speedmax, that an XL would be appropriate? That seems like such a big gap between the two, going from M to XL, just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thank you again for your input.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I'm hoping you can help since I can't figure out a size based on the website specs. Here are my numbers:

Pad X (to center of pad) - 555
Pad Y - 640
Saddle height - 770
Crank length - 155
Height 6'1

Zenmaster28,
I'm sorry I missed the earlier post. I'm gonna try for a comprehensive answer here...

If you're after a...

2020 disc brake CF... you'd need a medium which comes with an 80mm stem, but that's too short for you so you'd need a 90mm stem and then push pads forward to the maximum to get the proper cockpit distance. The pad height (Pad Y) works well on this bike, you'll be about 10mm shy of slammed.

2020 disc brake Speedmax CFR or SLX... frankly I'm not happy with this bike for you. It would have to be a Large, the seat post would be very low, the Pad X comes up a hair short (4mm) for you even with the long cockpit and pads pushed 100% fwd.

2019 rim brake SLX... you could do a Large, with 10mm of pedestal, and pads pushed forward 100% on the short cockpit that comes stock. A nice fit/position for this bike. You could also do a Medium with 45mm of pedestal and you'd need the long cockpit with pads pushed forward 100%.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ian, I appreciate it! I always have reach problems when trying to size bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Haukkuvat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your great help offered to us.

I am planning to get a Canyon Speedmax CF disc. Canyon recommends me size L. I am going to pay a visit to a bike fitter but am mostly interested in confirming the size + also initial pad x/y recommendations.

My height 193 cm, inseam 94,5 cm => long legs and also fairly long arms (68 cm).

Road bike fit results: stack 594 mm, reach 397 mm. Saddle height 843 mm.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Haukkuvat,
If your bike fitter is educated in tri fitting, experienced in tri fitting, and has a dynamic fit bike (all three of those elements) then ignore all of what I type below and take the Pad Y/Pad X that she/he gives you over mine. If they do not have a dynamic fit bike than use my prescription below to buy and then take this bike to them for the final tweaks.

I'd guess your Pad Y to be around 590 and Pad X to be 505. For the CF disc... you're just excellent for a size Large. You're very nearly the middle of the rage of this bike so you should be able to find the perfect spot with all the stock equipment that comes.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, good afternoon.
I'm planning to buy the new Speedmax Disc and according to Canyon website, they recommended size S.
Right now, I'm riding a Scott Plasma 5 size 54 (M)

height 178 cm
iseam: 83 cm
saddle height in my Scott: 74.5 cm

I'm not so comfortable with Canyon website result, suggestion S. I really I though I was M.
But after check both geometries, I guess I'm in the middle .

can you help ?

MTRIB,
Yes, I can help. If are comfortable in the aero position of the bike you're riding now, and you feel confident in that position then watch this video and reply with your Pad Y and Pad X. If you hate position let me know and I'll proceed with the numbers you've given me.
https://www.youtube.com/...pZa8UIIwrYE&t=2s

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ThibThib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello,

Looking at the Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc.
pad Reach (X): 467
pad Stack (Y): 650
Saddle Height 725
Would think S might just about work with long stem + long extension, right?
many thanks!

ThibThib,
The small, even with the long stem, maxes out at a Pad X of 460. You need a Medium and the long cockpit. The mid spacer will work which is cool as it gives you some options in pad height. There will not be a lot of seat post sticking out of the frame.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looking at a Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 SL (rim brake) , I'd like to fit into a small if possible, my X coordinate is 487 and my Y is 622. I'm just under 5'9" with an inseam of 33". Can I get away with a small or should I go for a medium?

crujones#33,
Do not try and do this on a small. The Pad Y on a Small maxes out at 620 and that's with every stock spacer and aftermarket lift put under the aerobars. Do do it. The Medium is really, really nice for these coordinates, dead center with all the stock accoutrement: 25mm of pedestal, short cockpit, pads mounted pretty much in the middle. Just perfect!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

ThibThib,
The small, even with the long stem, maxes out at a Pad X of 460. You need a Medium and the long cockpit. The mid spacer will work which is cool as it gives you some options in pad height. There will not be a lot of seat post sticking out of the frame.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your time and reply - understood on the M, will wait for them to back in stock in Europe
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Skydive80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Im looking to purchase a Speedmax CF SLX Disc 8 eTap. I have never had a proper fit so I'm not sure my stack height etc.

I am 6'4" and have a 34.5" inseam. Measurements were taken with bare feet. All signs point to a large, but I didnt know if I could get onto a Medium.

Thanks
Pete

Pete,
I think your Pad Y is roughly 675-960 and Pad X is 520-500. Here's the thing.. I'm guessing - I'm taking your height and your inseam and making educated guesses. I have a record here of being good with those guesses. I know the medium is out of the question and I don't think you seat height will work on the XL. I think the Large would be great in terms of pad height and I worry the cockpit will be a little short. You will absolutely need the long cockpit (the short comes stock on the bike) and even with the long cockpit the Large maxes out with a Pad X of 503ish so that's my worry.

Do you currently have a tri bike with a fit that you like?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ehr62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, thanks for your thoughts! That is really helpful to know that you would recommend the medium on the new, disc, speedmax. It's so hard to know which way to go you are right on the edge of canyon's suggestions.

Just to make sure I'm not missing something -- you're suggesting that on the old, rim, speedmax, that an XL would be appropriate? That seems like such a big gap between the two, going from M to XL, just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thank you again for your input.

ehr62,
You're right to check back. This one's easy for me because you and I are the exact same height and I'm same morphology: long legs, short torso. My Pad Y is 645 and Pad X is 465. I think yours will be similar maybe even 642/530 - I ran the numbers again and massaged them towards the 34.5 inseam. The medium is still a must on the new disc bike but the rim CF could be a medium, lg or xl. I do believe the Large would be a tiny bit better option. The frame geometry between the two bikes is different. Thanks for checking back.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Thanks
Pete

Pete,
I think your Pad Y is roughly 675-960 and Pad X is 520-500. Here's the thing.. I'm guessing - I'm taking your height and your inseam and making educated guesses. I have a record here of being good with those guesses. I know the medium is out of the question and I don't think you seat height will work on the XL. I think the Large would be great in terms of pad height and I worry the cockpit will be a little short. You will absolutely need the long cockpit (the short comes stock on the bike) and even with the long cockpit the Large maxes out with a Pad X of 503ish so that's my worry.

Ian

Amazing. Thank you

Unfortunately I do not have a fit that I like.

Prior to starting this post I was speaking with a Canyon rep. I gave them my stats of 76" tall and 35" inseam (without shoes on). They agree with you on the Large. After asking for my forearm length which I measure at 15.5" (measured by placing my back and elbow against a wall and measuring from the wall to centre of my grip) They replied with the following:

***I checked your submitted data with our special PPS tool. Our system calculates a seat height of 810mm, which leads to a saddle basebar drop of 193mm with a flat basebar and 151mm with the rise option. We recommend an armpad-reach of 463mm, therefore the short stem is the best option for you (429-483mm) as it gives you plenty of option to adjust and fine-tune your position.****

I'm lost in all of this. Any insight to the above?
Thanks again for all the help
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Skydive80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Thanks
Pete

Pete,

Ian
Amazing. Thank you

Unfortunately I do not have a fit that I like.

Prior to starting this post I was speaking with a Canyon rep. I gave them my stats of 76" tall and 35" inseam (without shoes on). They agree with you on the Large. After asking for my forearm length which I measure at 15.5" (measured by placing my back and elbow against a wall and measuring from the wall to centre of my grip) They replied with the following:

***I checked your submitted data with our special PPS tool. Our system calculates a seat height of 810mm, which leads to a saddle basebar drop of 193mm with a flat basebar and 151mm with the rise option. We recommend an armpad-reach of 463mm, therefore the short stem is the best option for you (429-483mm) as it gives you plenty of option to adjust and fine-tune your position.****

I'm lost in all of this. Any insight to the above?
Thanks again for all the help

Pete,
No worries! There's a lot of numbers coming at you and while that seems confusing there's a nice process here. You're getting a Canyon Speedmax SLX in size Large - total agreement from all parties on that. The bike will arrive with the stock cockpit which is the short stem and flat bar (it's molded, one piece), mid spacer, etc. GREAT.

Now you're gonna need to find your coordinates, your position... your fit! I'm a snob about fitting, I'm an elitest - in terms of fitting. I want you fit by a real fitter, but some folks explore it on their own and you are welcome to do that (maybe even with some help via video on this forum). Get your saddle height right. Get your set back right. Then go to work on the front end. Now, I think you're gonna need to push those arm pads forward 100% and even then I think the cockpit might be too short - but Canyon Customer Service and their PPS says the short stem will be okay. If they are right you're golden. If you need the longer stem you're gonna call them and say "I like to purchase a long stem/cockpit for my Speedmax SLX please". Within this same timeframe of getting your front end dialed in...you may feel the bull horns (where the breaks are) are too low in comparison to the aerobars then you 'tell 'em "I like to order the rise base bar please". I think that's nonsense by the way. Canyon is not yet in a position where they will unbox a new bike, remove the stock short stem, flat bar cockpit and build it up to the specs at time of order.... so you and all others have to go through this process anyway, and you're right on track with that. Let the bike arrive with it's stock bits, they might work and if not then you can order parts to make it perfect. This really isn't all the different from walking into most brick-n-mortar bike shops buying a bike only to discover that you have to pay for a different stem than the one that the manufacturer spec'd on the bike originally.

The only real question for you here is: will the stock front end (short stem) be long enough for you when the pads are pushed forward 100% or will you need the long-stem front end. That's really the only question. It's probably nice to know the margin of error so here are the final numbers on this: the longest the Pad X can get with the short stem on a size Lg is ~504mm. I'm guessing our Pad X to be between 500-520. It could work with the stock bits.

Imma be right here waiting for you to write to hear. Please me know.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thank you in advance for starting this thread. So I just got the Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 rim brake model in small. I want to know if there is a way to raise the base bar? I am coming off riding a very UN-aggressive setup on my 2011 Kestrel Talon, but now that I am no longer able to run (probably having foot surgery in the fall/winter) I want to push it in the short course aquabike so I don't mind working on getting my position more aggressively aero with training. It's just that even on the small frame, the base bars feel SO low.

BTW, I am 5'7" female with 31" inseam. Many thanks!

Patti
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [PattiPepper65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,

Thank you in advance for starting this thread. So I just got the Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 rim brake model in small. I want to know if there is a way to raise the base bar? I am coming off riding a very UN-aggressive setup on my 2011 Kestrel Talon, but now that I am no longer able to run (probably having foot surgery in the fall/winter) I want to push it in the short course aquabike so I don't mind working on getting my position more aggressively aero with training. It's just that even on the small frame, the base bars feel SO low.

BTW, I am 5'7" female with 31" inseam. Many thanks!

Patti

Patti,
Good on you for getting this bike, and for striving to get it comfy!

#1 the logical and intended way of lifting the aerobars is to max-out the spacers or "pedestal". Here's a primer on how you do that: remove the rubbery cover of the hydration system and "unplug" the front of the hydration bottle from the rear. They sort of meet in the middle with a red o-ring and by wiggling them apart you can expose the pedestal. See this pic for your goal: (scroll through these pics to get an idea): https://www.tririg.com/...w_Cockpit&num=12
Undo the 4 bolts and reconfigure the spacers so all of them are under the aerobars and the aerobars are on top. Retighten the top cap to the intended torque specs written right there on the piece. When you are reassembling the spacers and aerobars together make sure NOT to pinch the di2 wire in the process (there's a little channel in which it must reside).

#2 if that's not enough (or if you've already maxed out the spacers and it still needs to be higher) then you can call Canyon and order an aftermarket thing called a "High Stack Flat Spring". If you really get stuck, I have one left in stock, DM me and we'll make arrangements. That will add 10mm more to the pad height. I just added that to a bike like yours in my studio last week and here's a pic - the High Stack Flat Spring is the piece outlined in red:

Get back to me here with questions if you have 'em.

Okay... hold on... I just went back and reread your post and see that what you're really asking is about the base bar. Good heavens! My apologies, I'm so used to dealing with Pad height. Okay, call Canyon at 833-226-9661 (I'm assuming you're in the US) and tell them what bike you have. It's critical the difference between the 2018 Speedmax SLX and the 2019 Speedmax SLX. Tell them you have the flat base bar that comes stock and you want to order a raised base bar. That can be installed and the bull horns will be much higher for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic! Thank you SO much, Ian! I love all this information, as it seems difficult to suss out these things on the Canyon website. Although I initially was asking about the base bar, I am thrilled to know that the arm pads can also be raised a bit! Today will be my first "real" test of the bike as I am taking her to my training grounds with friends to ride her for longer than 30 minutes! :)

In the few spins I have done on her I feel like I am riding "downhill" but then again, coming off my old bike I expect any aggressive setup to feel odd right now. I like knowing that there are some options to adjust, as people keep stating that this particular bike is not very adjustable.

I appreciate your help again! Also, I loved your interview with Daniela that you shared in another thread on here!

Patti
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chriskairalla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

It looks you missed my post from Mar 31 amongst others. Too many posts I see... :) No worries man, just wanted to check if you can help me to figure out the size. Cheers!

"Hi Ian,
I have a 2014 Cervelo S5 with clip-on aerobars. I am planning to get a Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc and I am in doubt if I should go with M or S.
Canyon's calculator recommends M based on my height and inseam. It would be great if you could help/advise on a size/setup as not sure how it converts from road w/ clip-on aerobars to tri-bike.

Measures:
Height: 183 cm
Inseam: 88 cm

Cervelo S5 frame size: 56
Cervelo S5 Stack: 580 mm
Cervelo S5 Reach: 387 mm

Measures made with my Cervelo S5 and clip-on aerobars. I feel comfortable in current setup.
Pad Y (Stack): 705 mm
Pad X (Reach): 370 mm (measured to back of pad
)

** Canyon comes with 170mm crank length. My current Cervelo S5 has 165 mm and I plan to get 165 mm crank length for the Canyon as well.

Much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris"

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chriskairalla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

It looks you missed my post from Mar 31 amongst others. Too many posts I see... :) No worries man, just wanted to check if you can help me to figure out the size. Cheers!

"Hi Ian,
I have a 2014 Cervelo S5 with clip-on aerobars. I am planning to get a Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc and I am in doubt if I should go with M or S.
Canyon's calculator recommends M based on my height and inseam. It would be great if you could help/advise on a size/setup as not sure how it converts from road w/ clip-on aerobars to tri-bike.

Measures:
Height: 183 cm
Inseam: 88 cm

Cervelo S5 frame size: 56
Cervelo S5 Stack: 580 mm
Cervelo S5 Reach: 387 mm

Measures made with my Cervelo S5 and clip-on aerobars. I feel comfortable in current setup.
Pad Y (Stack): 705 mm
Pad X (Reach): 370 mm (measured to back of pad
)

Chris,

I'm sorry for the miss, thanks for the repost.

You're gonna ride longer and lower with a proper tri bike and that's just the nature of the machine. I think you're tri Pad Y is closer to 640 and your Pad X should be more like 494. Even if you have long legs and poor flexibility it would still be in the neighborhood of 680 and 470.

You're a medium and you'll have room to move within that medium and the 80mm stem that comes stock. I'll think you'll probably slam the aeorbars on the base bar (no pedestal) and have only ~20 to 25mm of spacer under the stem - which is nice as the top of the stem is then flush with the top of the bento box. You can quickly and easily play with fore/aft the pads to find your proper cockpit distance but, keep in mind, this all depends upon you sitting comfortably on the front half of the saddle. If you can't be comfy there get a saddle that allows you be be comfortable there. If you scroll through this gallery you'll see that that is were everybody sits regardless of gender https://www.tririg.com/...nman_Hawaii_Race_Day

Also, I fully support you in the idea of shorter cranks - YES!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Ian. Very appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thank you Ian. Very appreciated.

You bet Chris, if you need anything further let me know here.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
How does one measure the dimensions you require(Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach). In the market for new bike and saw the Canyons.
Thanks
Last edited by: johnny_5: Apr 26, 21 8:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next