Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sram Rival Etap AXS
Quote | Reply
Released kind of a weird video announcing it.

No info on pricing. About what is expected but it uses a an optional BB based powermeter rather than the quarq spiders.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling News article has pricing. $1.6K with PM for 2x seems like a stellar deal.

A complete groupset including shift-brake system, rotors, crankset, bottom bracket, chain, cassette, derailleurs, batteries and charger is pegged at $1,639 / €1,688 / £1,516 (2x with power meter) and $1,420 / €1,463 / £1,314 (2x without power meter). By ditching the front derailleur and going 1x pricing is slightly cheaper - $1,409 / €1,453 / £1,304 (1x with power meter) and $1,190 / €1,228 / £1,102 (1x without power meter).

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sram-announces-new-rival-etap-axs-groupset/
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
our coverage is here. normally i don't pimp our front page stories on the forum by starting a thread on it (i pimp my stories on other ways), but in this case, our readers ought to consider the implications to this group.

over the decades we've seen the mainstreaming of carbon bikes, power meters, and other tech, that took what was mostly unaffordable tech and brought it into the range of more folks. none of this stuff got cheap, but monocoque carbon bikes have gone from the 98th percentile to, say, the 40th or 50th percentile (along the gradient from walmart bikes to pinarellos). power meters were $2,000 for the longest time - and that was $2,000 in 20 year ago money - to $400 or $500 in today's money (or $1000 or $1100 for a really state of the art unit).

this new groupset from SRAM is the first time that i can think of where a component company brought electronic down to its 3rd tier. a 2x groupset, aftermarket, is $1,400. you add a frameset, wheels, tires, handlebars, stem, saddle, you have a bike. it will be interesting to see what the bikes made out of this group sell for, but i could easily see a nice road or gravel bike with this groupset selling for somewhere in the $3000s.

because of how important electronic is going to be in triathlon this is an important groupset.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama is saying that the group will start at around $1200 for the full group (1x, no power meter)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disc only and bulky levers. hopefully this prompts shimano to release 105 di2 with a rim brake option.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 15, 21 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
disc only and bulky levers. hopefully this prompts shimano to release 105 di2 with a rim brake option.

it's actually the opposite of what you say, as regards the levers. the lead image in our coverage is of the levers. they are slimmed down versus force and red, even tho the hydraulic reservoir is still in the lever.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

it's actually the opposite of what you say, as regards the levers. the lead image in our coverage is of the levers. they are slimmed down versus force and red, even tho the hydraulic reservoir is still in the lever.

I mean vs shimano di2. they just went from Really Bulky to just Bulky. Better than mechanical shifting hydraulic levers tho...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 15, 21 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yes, them going all in on disc at the lower electronic tier isn't attractive to me.
I as likely many others would like to hang a wireless electronics group on an heritage rim-brake frame (and loose the cables).

But sure, for full spec'd new bikes, it's a great lower tier option.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Yes, them going all in on disc at the lower electronic tier isn't attractive to me.
I as likely many others would like to hang a wireless electronics group on an heritage rim-brake frame (and loose the cables).

yup. I saw gplama's take on it come across my youtube feed, and got all excited... alas, not an option.

switching to disc brakes is cost-prohibitive for me.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
windschatten wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

yup. I saw gplama's take on it come across my youtube feed, and got all excited... alas, not an option.

I just got a couple really nice and great riding vintage frames, and SRAM sorta had been my last hope to keep them updated (technically and aesthetically), and not having to drill them.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 15, 21 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
this new groupset from SRAM is the first time that i can think of where a component company brought electronic down to its 3rd tier. a 2x groupset, aftermarket

Any indication if SRAM is just going to orphan their mechanical Rival 22 and Red 22 lines? Those are both really long in the tooth (2013/2014), and I've seen no indication SRAM is working on the mechanical front. Even Force 1 and Rival 1 are pretty old. Is SRAM 12-speed going to forever be electronic only for road?

I'm a SRAM fan, and am happy to see 3rd-tier AXS. But it's worth nothing that it's ~50% more expensive than Rival 22 or Rival 1. One of my favorite groupsets is my old mechanical Rival set on my gravel bike. Works great, and all the parts are dirt cheap and super easy to work on. Gravel bikes typically don't (yet) have problems with cable routing or maintenance.

I'm a SRAM fan, but I admit I might look to 105 or GRX for gravel purposes if SRAM is just going to completely exit the mechanical world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

When i saw the group advertised i started looking for hydraulic rim brakes, not much out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

You can do that with Red or Force AXS. (Just FYI).
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

When i saw the group advertised i started looking for hydraulic rim brakes, not much out there.

I did the same thing. The other option is getting Force or Red AXS shifters that are compatible with normal rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I did the same thing. The other option is getting Force or Red AXS shifters that are compatible with normal rim brakes.

But then you might as well just go with red or force. You’ll lose a lot of the cost savings.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:

this new groupset from SRAM is the first time that i can think of where a component company brought electronic down to its 3rd tier. a 2x groupset, aftermarket

Any indication if SRAM is just going to orphan their mechanical Rival 22 and Red 22 lines? Those are both really long in the tooth (2013/2014), and I've seen no indication SRAM is working on the mechanical front. Even Force 1 and Rival 1 are pretty old. Is SRAM 12-speed going to forever be electronic only for road?

I'm a SRAM fan, and am happy to see 3rd-tier AXS. But it's worth nothing that it's ~50% more expensive than Rival 22 or Rival 1. One of my favorite groupsets is my old mechanical Rival set on my gravel bike. Works great, and all the parts are dirt cheap and super easy to work on. Gravel bikes typically don't (yet) have problems with cable routing or maintenance.

I'm a SRAM fan, but I admit I might look to 105 or GRX for gravel purposes if SRAM is just going to completely exit the mechanical world.

i don't know, and SRAM is notoriously close-mouthed about what they have in the works. the first people to hear what's in the works are the OE buyers. they know right now stuff that i won't know for 6 or 9 months. so, i can only tell you what i perceive, and what i ask for.

for the last year i've been asking SRAM for 2 things: rival electronic, and mechanical 1x with 12sp 10-50 and a mechanical road control to shift it. basically, what i want is a cheaper version of what i'm running now on my gravel bike, which is force etap axs from the crank forward with an eagle chain, cassette and RD. SRAM delivered full stop on that second thing, with GX eagle and rival etap. i believe i can get that mullet groupset for $1,400 MSRP. that is, in my view, the killer gravel groupset. why would i spec anything else on a $3,500 gravel bike?

but that leaves me with what to spec on a gravel bike at half that price, and i think it's that same groupset but mechanical, and i don't see anybody with that groupset, SRAM included.

what i didn't ask for was a midrange 2x mechanical. if i'm SRAM, i'm working on apex electronic before i'm working on force mechanical. i don't know what SRAM's future is in midrange or lowrange 2x road. i'm not saying it doesn't have a future, just, i don't know what it is. i think SRAM does great at 1x mechanical offroad, and i think it just threw the gauntlet down on electronic. i'm seeing rival etap complete bikes for between $3,200 and $3,800. i question whether SRAM's future lies in trying to compete with 105 or ultegra mechanical. i would, right now, spec rival etap over any mechanical groupset made by any company at any level at any price.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not up as far as most on the electric shifting tech. I have yet to build or purchase a di2 or axs bike
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 15, 21 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if i'm SRAM, i'm working on apex electronic before i'm working on force mechanical. i don't know what SRAM's future is in midrange or lowrange 2x road. i'm not saying it doesn't have a future, just, i don't know what it is. i think SRAM does great at 1x mechanical offroad, and i think it just threw the gauntlet down on electronic. i'm seeing rival etap complete bikes for between $3,200 and $3,800. i question whether SRAM's future lies in trying to compete with 105 or ultegra mechanical. i would, right now, spec rival etap over any mechanical groupset made by any company at any level at any price.

Can you explain your reasoning behind Apex Electronic before Force Mech? Just the way industry is going.

Coming from someone who has Apex 1x on my Gravel bike and looking at swapping it over to Rival + GX AXS
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [gromaton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gromaton wrote:
Slowman wrote:

if i'm SRAM, i'm working on apex electronic before i'm working on force mechanical. i don't know what SRAM's future is in midrange or lowrange 2x road. i'm not saying it doesn't have a future, just, i don't know what it is. i think SRAM does great at 1x mechanical offroad, and i think it just threw the gauntlet down on electronic. i'm seeing rival etap complete bikes for between $3,200 and $3,800. i question whether SRAM's future lies in trying to compete with 105 or ultegra mechanical. i would, right now, spec rival etap over any mechanical groupset made by any company at any level at any price.

Can you explain your reasoning behind Apex Electronic before Force Mech? Just the way industry is going.

Coming from someone who has Apex 1x on my Gravel bike and looking at swapping it over to Rival + GX AXS

i would think that, at a certain point, electronic is just not that expensive to make, as a function of cost-of-goods. i don't know what i'm talking about of course. but electronic parts aren't that pricey, i wouldn't think. there's not a lot of computing power needed in those parts. once you've sunk money making a functional electronic shift system, the bike assembly is cheaper (it's easy to assemble these bikes), and you already have the molds made for all the working parts. how much more money, really, can it cost to make electronic derailleurs and shifters? i don't know. but let's say it's 2.5x the cost of mechanical (just the cost of goods, without amortizing the sunk costs into the product). if a mechanical derailleur costs $10 to make, and you sell it for $20, and the electronic derailleur costs $25 to make and you sell it for $75, i'd rather be making the electronic stuff. but i'm just wildly speculating.

i've always had a kind of rule about my own business. don't get caught in selling commodity products. sell only specialty products, where you have an edge. making money selling commodities is its own art, and i'm not good at it. if i'm SRAM, shimano was my only competitor selling electronic, and we're both premium product makers. mechanical? every tom dick and harry in vietnam and malaysia wants a piece of the market in which i'm trying to compete, that's a rough go.

you're right. rival/gx electronic mullet is the ticket.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Same - have been eyeballing Force AXS 1x for months and was very excited to see this today until I realized I can't build on my existing rim brake setup. Back to the never ending hunt for the medium cage Force AXS RD I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems quite expensive for a third tier down-streamed version of electronic shifting.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the price with PM is great.

But damn, this groupset weights about 850g more than DA Di2. That's almost 2lbs. Can't wait to see this groupset on a light "climbing" frame built up to 20 lbs. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop me if I'm wrong, but for a tri bike, the disc part doesn't matter, right? Can't I just pick up the new drivetrain, blip box, blips/clics, and then leave my brakes and levers as they are? I've got a Felt B12 from 2012 that I'm thinking about turning into a 1x in this way.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [ThomasTheGreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThomasTheGreat wrote:
Stop me if I'm wrong, but for a tri bike, the disc part doesn't matter, right? Can't I just pick up the new drivetrain, blip box, blips/clics, and then leave my brakes and levers as they are? I've got a Felt B12 from 2012 that I'm thinking about turning into a 1x in this way.

Knowing the SRAM individual component pricing, you may as well just buy the whole group....
Quote Reply
Re: Sram Rival Etap AXS [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but then I'd have useless levers I'd never use. It would likely still be a more expensive upgrade than it's worth doing to a bike that's worth <$1000, but I guess my point is there's now a derailleur and crankset available for significantly less than what I'd have had to spend before. So now I'm actually thinking about it again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next