Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT is not short sighted it is fact. I have been in Tri since 2004 was a pro for ten years. Won prize money and had many sponsorships.

mark allen got 20,000 for kona 1989.
Now it is at 110,000

they know which race is the bread and butter.

also good for lionel to get youtube clicks and Talbot, I love their stuff hope they keep it coming.

But your 26 k views for FREE content is not anything special. although good for a triathlete.

I just checked my kids you tube channels a 8 min video by a guy I have never heard of that post 3-5 times a days has 500 k views in 5 hours.
Marvel has a one hr dance video of a 16 sec loop scene from winter solider it has 4.5 million views in one day. it is a 16 seconds loop over and over for 60 mins and has they many clicks.

Also the more free work pro triathletes post the more Ironman is helped without investing a cent. If they cut the prize money in half the same guys would do the exact same dance for less. It happened mid 2010's.

The clients I coach do not know more then 3 -4 pro names. The can't name the top three from the last kona 2019. they do know the coolest looking bikes, which races they want to do in the next 3 years, their last ironman splits and pace times, their future goals.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just want to share this as my son said this channel is popular.

Would You Sit In Snakes For $10,000?
20 million views in one day and the guy would make more money, I think then the top 4 finisher in the men's race got today.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Free content like broadcast tv? Do you understand how YouTubers get paid? This is just scarcity thinking versus abundance thinking. There has never been anyone at Ironman smart enough to exploit the stars of the sport. The most basic thing they can do is provide quality race coverage. The idea that age groupers are the only thing that matters is leaving a lot on the table. It certainly leaves the door open for a company like Challenge. You have been around a while so you probably know the story of how Hawaii came to have prize money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
just want to share this as my son said this channel is popular.

Would You Sit In Snakes For $10,000?
20 million views in one day and the guy would make more money, I think then the top 4 finisher in the men's race got today.

and THIS is whats wrong with today's society... at least in the good ol' USA.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
mark allen got 20,000 for kona 1989.
Now it is at 110,000

In case anyone else was curious:
$20,000 in 1989 is $42,000 today

So still a big difference, though not 5x
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Youtubers that get under 1 million views dont make much.

You tube makes it all. And YouTube also prompts the idea that youtubers make alot so people make more free content, daily.

Sadly the more pro triathletes that add content the more it will water it all down and be like tv rating.

I live in Canada tv is not free.

If they are going to make so much as youtubers their post race hits will be higher then their prize check.

But that's enough let's focus on the race.

Sam had a bad swim, lionel won. See what happens in st.george, wish I was there able to race instead of just checking in to see who wins.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

Sam had a bad swim, lionel won. See what happens in st.george, wish I was there able to race instead of just checking in to see who wins.

It looked like non wetsuit swim - Lionel had a good swim in comparison to Miami with Kanute leading both races out of the water. Sam had about the same deficit to Kanute that he did in Daytona - I think Sam thought based upon Daytona that he and Lionel were the same swimmers but Lionel had a bad swim in a restrictive suit and the last two races in the water for Lionel were closer to where he is at, and Sam isn't quite there yet. I think Sam's swim (non wetsuit) being the same deficit to Kanute is actually a decent sign...

But damn that bike was impressive....

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
sportstats wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
Yes I’m seeing those insane speeds across the board on the first bike split. Tailwind or short, or even some KM/miles cock up?

Corrected now, timing team had to move wires because of bad GSM at 15 miles!!!

Even with that correction, they are still flying at 35 mph!

Insane speeds...how's the wind on the course?

The wind on course was insane. It was perfectly aligned with the course direction giving us a massive tailwind for 28 miles and the most ridiculous headwind I’ve ever experienced for the 28 miles back. My speed graph on strava is hilarious.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol it was brutal. As soon as I made the turnaround it was crazy how hard it was blowing right in my face. Few draft packs on the way to T2 but it was hard to avoid riding together. I felt bad seeing a bunch of people in the penalty tent when I rolled in

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel's videos are good for the sport if they are getting more people into the sport. Paul Felder is talking about Lionel Sanders on UFC broadcasts and that's fantastic all around. Who cares if the kid who films him is a douche?
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've ever followed the results of a pro race before. YouTube and Slowtwitch makes me interested in Lionel (and a few others), but I've never cared for race results. However, with the Race Week series, I was actually curious about how the race was going to turn out and followed the updates today. I'll probably keep following it in the future. Kudos to Talbot and Lionel for making it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, people hate Talbot for some reason. Anyone care to share why they hate Talbot so much? The guy found a niche and has been extremely successful doing it, usually that's something people get showered with praise for discovering. Anyway, I appreciate his videos, photos, and how he seems to be bridging the gap where Ironman is dropping the ball. Talbot, "If they hate then let'em hate and watch the money pile up."

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Damn, people hate Talbot for some reason.

Check out his Twitter.

Thing is, some people can't live with cognitive dissonance. Talbot's videos are very good to great, his tweets are absolutely terrible. I enjoy the videos while ignoring the tweets, just like I can believe Trump's tweets are godawful while his COVID vaccine rollout was an outstanding success. Apparently it's not that easy for many. I should be a Greek philosopher.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 12, 21 0:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Damn, people hate Talbot for some reason. Anyone care to share why they hate Talbot so much?..........

I'm not really clear on it either. I can fully appreciate not everyone is a fan of every athlete, maybe its his association with Lionel, and if you don't happen to be a fan of Lionel......
I think his videos are great. Our small training group does 90+% of our riding indoors, his videos are a regular part of our ride playlists.
I think the vids are far better than those of other pro's that are now doing them because they feel they have to, and need to bash the sport and its sponsors, not to name any names.......
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone earlier said that his twitter represents why some may dislike him; I checked and sure I don't agree with some of the stuff he's saying etc. but why is that a reason to hate on his videos. He is a talented videographer (apologies if that was the wrong word) and makes content focused on triathlon, without bias or involving any personal views outside of triathlon.
That said, there's gotta be something else for the sheer level of hatred directed at him from these few individuals, and there could very well be something we don't know about, or there could very well be nothing at all. The best approach for them IMHO is too steer clear and ignore him, and if it's something too serious to ignore raise it at the correct level (hint, the correct level is not a public triathlon forum)

On to the race, You guys seen Justin Metzler's insta? Sounds like he was on for a good one bar the rookie mistake forgetting the number belt, signs looking good for his continued improvement up the rankings. Matt Hanson had a helluva run as always and Lionel executed a near perfect race. Sam Long showed his bike/run talent, but if he can improve his swim as Lionel has he is looking good. Ben Kanute seemed impressive to me, nothing wrong with his race at all and a very impressive finish.
Kimberly Morrison bossed that bike, and Jeanni Metzler had an awesome run! Skye Moench had a great race, and Sophie Watts (who is new to me) had a great race as well. Heather Jackson I'd imagine had higher hopes but a strong 4th nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Damn, people hate Talbot for some reason. Anyone care to share why they hate Talbot so much? The guy found a niche and has been extremely successful doing it, usually that's something people get showered with praise for discovering. Anyway, I appreciate his videos, photos, and how he seems to be bridging the gap where Ironman is dropping the ball. Talbot, "If they hate then let'em hate and watch the money pile up."

Let me preface this by saying I’ve never seen one of his videos and likely never will. Nothing to do with him. The thought of watching any triathlon video sounds awful. I don’t care if Martin Scorsese directed it.

I think part of the anti-Talbot sentiment around here stems from his reaction to criticism of his videos. His amp goes to 11 pretty quickly if someone criticize his videos. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong about that.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I think part of the anti-Talbot sentiment around here stems from his reaction to criticism of his videos. His amp goes to 11 pretty quickly if someone criticize his videos. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong about that.

I remember Talbot lashing out at Brad Culp on Twitter when Brad included an enthusiastic review of the coverage of Challenge Daytona in his race report. However enthusiastic the review, Brad also sinned by pointing out something that could be improved, provoking several tweets about a biased, negative, hating journalist who should be sacked.

As far as Talbot's videos go, I got a cool-headed, matter-of-fact response from him when I sort-of accused Lionel of being rude to Erin and loose with facts, so no complaints from me!

I think he's just two different people pretending to be one, secretly making fun of Slowtwitch and trolling the crap out of us.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Apr 12, 21 5:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant find full results anywhere. would love to see how many people where there etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for following along. I hope we have generated enough interest for ironman to have better coverage in St George. If not we will do our best to update everyone with updates again. Also just want to thank everyone for the support and watching the race week series. Its the comments and excitement that make me want to work harder! I love my job.

Looking forward to another stellar race in St. George.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [TBrownRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBrownRuns wrote:
I cant find full results anywhere. would love to see how many people where there etc.
Ditto

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [TBrownRuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results page lists 2059, but no idea if that’s confirmed or not

https://www.ironman.com/im703-texas-results

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Apr 12, 21 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you use the app and select Overall men and page over to the very last person, it says that there were 1,759 finishers.

that's more participants than I thought there would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
an observation:

are we witnessing the birth of Lionel Sanders 2.0? obviously it was tough to get the nuances without any video coverage, and even the splits/tracker were confusing as hell to me, but this seems like a pretty dangerous string of race results for lionel. the texas field was good but not great, admittedly, but still: sanders did exactly what he needed to do today. didn't dig a big hole. had a strong swim, a just-strong-enough bike, and then a strong enough run. i think he's look both fitter and smarter this year.

other thoughts:
-i'm not crazy about sam long's 'persona.' i don't wish him ill or anything, and i can see why some people like him, he just comes off too brash for my taste.

-what happened to magnus ditlev? dns?

-was something up with the swim? seems like the splits were slow.

-hanson was only ~10 seconds back of a podium, again - seems to me that as the run distance increases he's becoming one of the most dangerous athletes in the sport.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Galveston 70.3 Race Day Banter [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
an observation:

are we witnessing the birth of Lionel Sanders 2.0? obviously it was tough to get the nuances without any video coverage, and even the splits/tracker were confusing as hell to me, but this seems like a pretty dangerous string of race results for lionel. the texas field was good but not great, admittedly, but still: sanders did exactly what he needed to do today. didn't dig a big hole. had a strong swim, a just-strong-enough bike, and then a strong enough run. i think he's look both fitter and smarter.

In his videos he mentions things here and there that seem to indicate he is listening to his coach more often in terms of being less impulsive and becoming more controlled and patient. It also looks like he is clicking with his swim coach well. All that said, it seems the talent level of the field keeps rising, so sadly, while Lionel may finally get to a point where he realises his potential, he may end up finishing worse than in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better video on the race than whatever that was supposed to be from Ironman (that was really awful watching them setup for the finish in such a haphazard fashion).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply

Prev Next