Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian.
Very much appreciated.
Since i am currently injured and still not able to run, maybe I should hold off!
I was hoping that by now I would be ramping up for a race season.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm Chris from Berlin, Germany, and hopefully I'm going to buy my first Canyon Speedmax next month. I'm choosing between 1. 2019 SLX rim brake, 2. 2019 CF SL or 3. 2020 CF SL Disc.

Size: 180cm
Inseam: 83cm
Arm lenght : 59cm
Torso lenght: 65cm
Shoulder width: 48cm

Should I get the S or the M frame ? Website suggest M size for all three bike versions but I heard from many other Athletes that they chose S.

Thank you for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian, could you help me identify if the cf7 disc would work for me and what size would be appropriate? I’m looking to get a little more aggressive with my position over time, but have attached measurements provided by my fitter. Honestly, they don’t mean too much to me, I’m not a huge bike guy - just learning. Thanks!
Last edited by: AnotherTri2021: Mar 27, 21 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AnotherTri2021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by "aggressive"?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probably me being a newbie, but I believe my flexibility at the time of the fitting required a larger riser under my aerobars. I just mean that I’d like to get a smaller one as my fitness/flexibility improves.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AnotherTri2021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
I have a 2014 Cervelo S5 with clip-on aerobars. I am planning to get a Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc and I am in doubt if I should go with M or S.
Canyon's calculator recommends M based on my height and inseam. It would be great if you could help/advise on a size/setup as not sure how it converts from road w/ clip-on aerobars to tri-bike.

Measures:
Height: 183 cm
Inseam: 88 cm

Cervelo S5 frame size: 56
Cervelo S5 Stack: 580 mm
Cervelo S5 Reach: 387 mm

Measures made with my Cervelo S5 and clip-on aerobars. I feel comfortable in current setup.
Pad Y (Stack): 705 mm
Pad X (Reach): 370 mm (measured to back of pad
)

** Canyon comes with 170mm crank length. My current Cervelo S5 has 165 mm and I plan to get 165 mm crank length for the Canyon as well.

Much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by: chriskairalla: Mar 31, 21 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chriskairalla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would urge you to keep your mind open to trying shorter cranks, maybe 155mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would urge you to keep your mind open to trying shorter cranks, maybe 155mm.

Hi, actually I tried shorter cranks but could not find any shorter than 165 when I bought it. My main motivation was to have less knee flexion at the top of the pedal stroke because of knee arthritis.
What do you see that shorter cranks would be better?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chriskairalla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, shorter cranks allow many people to achieve a better fit.

Even though I have been in the bike industry for 27 years, Ian has way more fitting experience than me and if he suggests something, you should listen to him.

Shimano makes their 105 (FC-R7000) cranksets down to 160mm.

Rotor makes cranks down to 150mm.

John Cobb sells cranks down to 145mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, hoping you can help since I can't figure out a size based on the website specs. Here are my numbers:

Pad X (to center of pad) - 555
Pad Y - 640
Saddle height - 770
Crank length - 155
Height 6'1
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [lambrose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thank you for this thread - an amazing amount of information!
I'm considering the Speedmax CF 8 Disc, it would be a first tri bike and as such, I don't have any pad x / pad y dimensions. So here goes...
Height 177cm
Inseam 81cm
Seat Height (BB to top of saddle) 740mm

When I put these into the PPS it comes out as a medium, however, if I lower height or inseam by about a cm it suggests a small. Do you think there is there any merit to being on a small as opposed to a medium for me?

Normally I would go for a pre-fit etc. and go through that process, but due to a certain virus, these don't appear to be happening.
Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.

Louis,
You've got pretty long legs for your height. I'd guess that your Pad Y is roughly 625 and your Pad X is about 470. You can fit on either the medium or small but I think the small is better, it gives you more room to move and access to the bottle mounts behind the seat post. You can use the 70mm stem that comes on the small, but I think (if I'm right about the 470) you're going to be pushed all the way forward with the arm pads.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [HBlanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi,

I need assistance to get the right slx rim brake size. (less maintenance and cheap option)
Size: 184cm
Inseam: 86cm
Arm lenght : 58cm
Torso lenght: 61,5cm

Should I get the M or the L frame (2020) ? Website suggest M size but data is very near to L
Actually on Shiv 2015 L size Pad reach ->490 and Pad stack ->650

Thank you so much for your help.

HBlanco,
I want to make this call based on your current Pad Y/Pad X (650/490). My assumption is that those numbers are better than me tweaking your body measurements - but this is all based on the assumption that you like your position, if you hate it then...we should look closer. I'm curious about prescription for one reason.... the Shiv is one of the shortest/tallest bikes in the tri world and the rim brake Speedmax is on the other end of the spectrum (long & low).

You could fit on a size Medium Speedmax SLX rim brake bike but you would be MAXED OUT on the pad height. And to get to that max you'd need to purchase some extra pieces from Canyon (high stack flat spring) to get the pads up to 650. You are far better off on a size Large - with 20mm of arm pad pedestal and you can use the short stem that came stock on that bike and when you pull the pads 100% back the bike will be ~6cm too long for you. If that's probably (may not be) just get the aftermarket item called "TSP" (Team Switch Plate- I have some here in my fit studio if Canyon does not) and you can bring the pads closer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [dvsho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian

I had a pro bike fit with my current tri bike. Would love to get fit assistance on the new speedmax - CFR and Disc version(s)
Height: 5'4/64in and inseam of 28-29 (closer to 29).
Current tri bike setup - Cannondale slice 51, 155mm cranks.
Seat height - 695mm
Pad Y - Arm Pad Stack BB - 632,,
Pad X - Arm Pad to Grip reach - 343mm; Grip Reach (tip of saddle to front end grip) - 745mm, arm pad reach (tip of saddle to back of arm pad),- 402mm , arm pad to grip reach - 343mm

According to canyon - might be an XS (or it just might be a bike that is not a good fit for me :( )

Andrew,
If you've had a bike fit and you like your position I'm just gonna run with the Pad Y of 632 and Pad X of 402.

For the CFR the size would be a small - which might be a good thing because Canyon doesn't sell and XS in the CRF in the U.S.A. You'd be perfect with the short stem that comes stock. It looks good.

If you went with the SLX version... there is an XS in that bike and that would work as well - and again with the short stem that comes stock. You'd need the large pedestal plus some extra bit in the box of goodies to get the Pad Y where you need it (632) as this bike maxes out at 638ish.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ehr62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your offer to help. I don't know my pad x and my pad y number.
I am just under 6'1" and inseam of 34 or 34.5" (measured with a book against the wall as best I could)
I currently ride a 58cm caad 10 set up for TT/tris, with a thompson setback seat post angled forwards, and profile design t2+ aero bars, and this is pretty comfortable actually. I have one spacer under the bars in front.
I am looking at the canyon CF 7 or 8, either current year (disc) or last year (rim). It seems like I'm right on the bubble between a M and a L on canyon's online sizing tool. I tend to prefer a larger bike, so I'm leaning pretty strongly towards a large. Any thoughts?
ehr62,
I'm impressed with the mods you've done on the caad10 to approach the triathlon position. I've done many of those in the past here in my fit studio. I know you're gonna love the improved position on a real tri bike!

I think your Pad Y is near to 640 and your Pad X is roughly 482. If you get the new disc brake Speedmax CF then you should get the medium. I'm worried you wont be able to get low enough on the large (I'm guessing your Pad Y at 640 and the large bottoms out at 660 - you don't want to be hanging up in the wind if you don't have to). The medium comes with an 80mm stem and I suspect you won't be pushed out to the limits of that, I think you'll still have some room to play up/down/fore/aft to make it perfect. If you get the old rim brake Speedmax CF you'll have to get an XL to get the length out of the bike and you'll only have 20mm of spacer under the stem so it'll sit pretty low for you to get down to where you need to be.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [RollTide82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade my steed. My current set up measurements are the following:

Pad Stack: 690
Pad Reach: 500

Height: 6'0

Thanks!

RollTide82,

I need more info please... what's your seat height? Which Speedmax interests you? The new disc bikes come in three flavors: CFR? SLX? CF?

LMK, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are you able to give fit assistance for an Aeroad? I own a Grail (CF SL 7.0W 2019) in size 2XS and it's heaven. I know the Aeroad's a totally different ride, but is there a size that'll get close? I'm 5'3", long torso, short arms. On road bikes that are typically sized for someone my height, I often feel there's nothing in front of me and it gets squirrelly on descents. Prefer something longer for more stability - I rented a Felt 51cm F-series bike and it was great. I also can't stand the wicked toe overlap that I get on most small bikes - including my current road bike.

surroundhound, you'd do just as well (if not better) by looking at the numbers HERE when you go - use 160cm as your height and go in knowing your seat height.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU!

M.A.D. Multisports, NY (USA)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Chrikik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm Chris from Berlin, Germany, and hopefully I'm going to buy my first Canyon Speedmax next month. I'm choosing between 1. 2019 SLX rim brake, 2. 2019 CF SL or 3. 2020 CF SL Disc.

Size: 180cm
Inseam: 83cm
Arm lenght : 59cm
Torso lenght: 65cm

Should I get the S or the M frame ? Website suggest M size for all three bike versions but I heard from many other Athletes that they chose S.

Chrikik,
Let's do 'em in order...
1) 2019 Speedmax SLX rim brake - size medium with the short stem (comes stock), and 35mm of arm pad pedestal. It's a nice middle of that range so you and adjust the cockpit up/down/fore/aft to find perfection. I don't believe that the small in this bike will go high enough in the pads to satisfy you.

2) 2019 CF rim brake bike - it would be a Large but even then it would be a bit short in the cockpit and you'd have to get stem of 110mm (Canyon doesn't make one for this bike so you get some other brand - Profile-Design for example).

3) CF disc brake bike - size medium with the 80mm stem that comes stock and then probably not much spacer under the stem and no aerobar pedestal.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian, could you help me identify if the cf7 disc would work for me and what size would be appropriate? I’m looking to get a little more aggressive with my position over time, but have attached measurements provided by my fitter. Honestly, they don’t mean too much to me, I’m not a huge bike guy - just learning. Thanks!

AnotherTri2021,
I'm glad you wrote, I can help. The attachment didn't come through. Try it again and if you can't get it to attach then....follow the instructions from this video and get me three numbers: 1) seat height, 2) Pad Y, 3) Pad X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Could you please help me determining whether I should be fine on Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 rim brake version size M?
Since I have a little longer legs, I am a bit affraid the Speedmax might not be the best option for me.

Height - 184cm
Inseam 92cm
Armspan 192cm
Not very flexible if it counts

Road bike saddle height 81cm

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by: rait.mand: Apr 5, 21 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, I posted my numbers earlier but you may have missed them amongst all the other posts.

I'm hoping you can help since I can't figure out a size based on the website specs. Here are my numbers:

Pad X (to center of pad) - 555
Pad Y - 640
Saddle height - 770
Crank length - 155
Height 6'1
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your great help offered to us.

I am planning to get a Canyon Speedmax CF disc. Canyon recommends me size L. I am going to pay a visit to a bike fitter but am mostly interested in confirming the size + also initial pad x/y recommendations.

My height 193 cm, inseam 94,5 cm => long legs and also fairly long arms (68 cm).

Road bike fit results: stack 594 mm, reach 397 mm. Saddle height 843 mm.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, good afternoon.
I'm planning to buy the new Speedmax Disc and according to Canyon website, they recommended size S.
Right now, I'm riding a Scott Plasma 5 size 54 (M)

height 178 cm
iseam: 83 cm
saddle height in my Scott: 74.5 cm

I'm not so comfortable with Canyon website result, suggestion S. I really I though I was M.
But after check both geometries, I guess I'm in the middle .

can you help ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Looking at the Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc.

pad Reach (X): 467
pad Stack (Y): 650
Saddle Height 725

Would think S might just about work with long stem + long extension, right?

many thanks!
Last edited by: ThibThib: Apr 20, 21 9:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next