Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [debraweier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am not too good at tech, but here is my info:
height: 5'10" or 179 cm
inseam: 331/2" or 85cm
I think I would be between a 54cm and 56 cm, or a medium.
I have had my bikes fitted in the past but do not know the other two numbers.

Thanks,
Debra

Debra,
I suspect your Pad Y is roughly 634 and your Pad X is around 475 and your saddle height is near 755.

If you wanted the Speedmax CFR or SLX...you'd be a size medium with the mid spacer and pads push forward to the max

if you wanted the Speedmax CF...you'd be a size medium and the stock stem will work, zero spacers (slammed), and pads one hole forward of center.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Mar 22, 21 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [itay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

I’m a shorter/smaller rider and the canyon website states they don’t recommend even the small speedmax cf Slx for me. Just checking with you as to your recc’s. Here are my measurements from the last bike fit (which was a while ago granted)
Arm pad reach-bb (to back of pad) 417, arm pad stack bb 585, saddle set back -36. 165 cranks, ism adamo 2 saddle. I’m about 5’6’’ with 30’’ inseam
itay,
If you wanted the new CFR or SLX disc brake bike... the Small should work, you're gonna be slammed almost to the bottom of the Pad Y range (I think it bottoms out at 570) but well within in the middle of the Pad X. I don't know seat height, but I'd like to - is it...683??? Let me know about that.

If you wanted the new CF disc brake bike... now that bike could work in the size small - in terms of the Pad Y/X but you'll be painted into almost the shortest/lowest corner of the bike. Again, I need to know your seat height to be sure of any of this.

LMK, Ian

Hey Ian.

Thank you for all your help. Seat height is 690.

itay,

If it's the CFR - the smallest size they're gonna sell in the US is a small and it works, very well. You'd have room to move in all directions. It's really good the only draw back and I'm not sure it's a drawback is that the behind-the-seat-post bottle cage mounting bosses - one of those will be down in the frame so if you wanted bottle behind your seat you'd have to do a rail mounted system.

If it's the SLX then the XS would be better - you're nearly in the dead center of pad height. With the stock short stem you'd push the pads forward to the max and you'd have the mounting holes behind the seat post.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jgn1013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello all,

Can someone point me in the right direction on getting spacers for the H30 bar/cockpit? I have the new Speedmax CF disc

Thanks

jgn10013, I can think of only two types of spacers we could discuss in this situation:
1) The Canyon OEM spacers that slide down the steer tube, the ones that go between the bottom of the stem and the top of the head tube. These spacers lift the stem/basebar/aerobars all together. For those your best bet is to call Canyon to order. If you're in the USA ring them at 833-226-9661
2) The other type of spacers could be the ones that lift just the aerobars and leave the stem and base bar at their existing height. For these your best bet would be Profile Design - as those aerobars are Profile's 35A. You can get those here https://profile-design.com/...-bracket-riser-kit-1

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jgn1013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. Get back to me here if you/when you have more questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks Ian. I have been fittend a few times but never got the specs.
Debra
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [tomokearney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm keen on purchasing a Speedmax CF 8.0 and would like some help with the sizing.
we've put my height and inseam measurements into the canyon website and it said LARGE but ive always been XL and maybe more with other bike brands.
i would love your help before i order.
My height is 193cm
inseam 92cm
i don't currently have a TT bike so i'm unsure how to measure X and Y.
Thanks for your help.

Tom,
I think your Pad Y is near to 685 and your Pad X is in the range of 510. That leaves you in a situation, and this is common for many folks, where you could fit on either bike (LG or XL) and with the 90mm stem that comes stock. This happens because there's overlap in the sizing based on the adjustability of the front end. So here's the details on this...

For the Canyon Speedmax CF bikes..

If you rode the XL - you'd use the 90mm stem that comes stock and you'd pull out all the spacers - both under the stem and within the aerobar clamp-pedestal area. The Pad X of 510 that I'm guess would be dead-center in the bike's range. The Pad Y of 685 would be not be achieved - it's bottoms out at 692 - that's way I say no spacers, no pedestal and your still at 692 and not 685. But remember I don't have all your info - you might need a Pad Y of 754 due to tight posterior chain, or beer belly, or cervical issues. The XL will go all the way up to 790 in Pad Y (can't imagine why you'd need that). So, you're perfect in the cockpit distance (pad x) with lots of room to adjust and you are slammed in Pad Y- the arm pads can't go any lower with the stock equipment.

If you rode the LG - you'd use the stock 90mm stem, push the pads out to one hole shy of their max and then have ~25mm of spacer under the stem. Which is very nice as the top of the stem lands kinda flush with the top of the bento box for a nice look.

So, if you really want to be tucked up, crazy aero, what some might call "aggressive" - then the Large is a better bet. If you think, nope, there are elements that lead me to believe that I want error on the side of comfort, not be crazy low - the the XL bike is best.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,

Thank you for doing consultations here!

I'm riding an old QR Lucero and recently got a very comfortable fit with:

Stack 63 cm
Reach 44 cm
Height: 182 cm

Other data from the fitter, if it's helpful:

Saddle Height over Crank Center: 71.4 cm
Saddle Setback: -3.3 cm
Drop from Saddle to Armpad Top: -8.3 cm
Nose of Saddle to Back of Pads: 48.1 cm
Saddle Tip to Aerobar End: 82.0 cm
Aerobar Pad Width: 22.0 cm
Aerobar Angle: 6.0 degrees
Saddle Horizontal Tilt: 1.2 degrees
Saddle Model: ISM PN3.1

I'm looking for a new dream bike and new Speedmax CF SLX 8 disk is in the short list.

I assume M should be fine, because my measurements are pretty average?

ask77nl,
For a Canyon Speedmax SLX - your Pad Y and Pad X are absolutely dead center for the pads in this bike's range. The problem I'm having is this... in bold above, can I confirm that that is your saddle height? The saddle on the M won't go that low. So, let me know about that. If it's right... you fit well on a Small, the short stem that comes stock and the pads push out 100% and mid spacer under the stem.

Ian

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Triguy2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,
I am looking at the Speedmax CFR or CF SLX. I am currently riding a Cervelo P5 2013 size 51
Reach: 459.3 mm
Stack: 598.3 mm
Saddle height from BB: 725.7 mm

Height 173 cm
inseam 78 cm
Thanks Gordon

Gordon,
I have a couple of missions in life and one is to eliminate the confusion between Stack and Reach (a measurement to the top of the head tube on a frame) and Pad Y and Pad X (the measurement we use to prescribe tri bikes). The Stack and Reach on a 2013 Cervelo P5 size 51 just happens to be 506/397. Thank you for sitting through this public service announcement.

For a Canyon Speedmax CFR or SLX.. it's a medium, short stem (comes stock), and low spacer. One of the bolts behind the seat post that holds the bottle cage will be in the frame so that won't be an option for you but the rest of the ride is spot on!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the clarification and input. So the measurements I gave you are actually the Pad X and Pad Y measurements then not stack and reach correct? When I enter my height and inseam in the Canyon website they suggest a size small (S) frame. Can you explain the difference please?

Gordon
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Triguy2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triguy2k wrote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the clarification and input. So the measurements I gave you are actually the Pad X and Pad Y measurements then not stack and reach correct? When I enter my height and inseam in the Canyon website they suggest a size small (S) frame. Can you explain the difference please?

Gordon

Are you asking Ian to explain why Canyon is suggesting that you buy a Small size frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:
Hello Ian,

Stack 63 cm
Reach 44 cm

I'm looking for a new dream bike and new Speedmax CF SLX 8 disk is in the short list.

ask77nl,
For a Canyon Speedmax SLX - your Pad Y and Pad X are absolutely dead center for the pads in this bike's range. The problem I'm having is this... in bold above, can I confirm that that is your saddle height? The saddle on the M won't go that low. So, let me know about that. If it's right... you fit well on a Small, the short stem that comes stock and the pads push out 100% and mid spacer under the stem.

Ian

Ian

Hello Ian,
Thank you for your reply. Saddle Height over Crank Center: 71.4 cm is what I have right now, I just re-measured it. I have inseam of 81 cm (short legs, I guess? :)

I'll going to target Small size then.

Thanks,
Serguei
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thanks for your help here!

Currently I own a Trek Emonda ALR 5 Disc 2019 64 cm road bike and I am looking forward to purchase my first triathlon bike. Either a Speedmax CF 7.0 or Speedmax CF 7 DISC. Could you help me with selecting the right size?

Some measurements my bike fitter gave me:
I am 194cm tall, my inseam is 97 cm and arm length 73 cm.

About the bike:
center of the saddle - bracket = 89.3 cm
end of the saddle - heart of bar = 63.8 cm
difference saddle - bar height = 10.3 cm
stem = 12 cm

I do not know what my stack and reach are. I assume a XL size would be the best for me. Am I correct and should I worry about the standard stem?
Last edited by: tombongers: Mar 18, 21 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:
Hello Ian,

Stack 63 cm
Reach 44 cm

ask77nl,

Ian

Ian
Hello Ian,
Thank you for your reply. Saddle Height over Crank Center: 71.4 cm is what I have right now, I just re-measured it. I have inseam of 81 cm (short legs, I guess? :)

I'll going to target Small size then.

Thanks,
Serguei

Serguei, You'll do well on the small but you have to push the pads out as far as they will go with the short stem that comes on the bike.

Enjoy, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Gordon,
I'm sorry. I know it can get confusing and that's why I'm so adamant about these "terms of art".
Stack and Reach is a place on the frame. There are times when discussion of that spot is important but, on this thread in particular, we need to talk about where the body touches the bike: the arm pads (and saddle, pedals, aero extensions). So Pad Y and Pad X is what's critical to prescribing a new tri bike and a new super bike for sure.

The numbers you gave me (598/459) those are Pad Y and Pad X respectively. However you referred to them Stack and Reach and for your current bike but they are not Stack and Reach - those numbers really are Pad Y and Pad X and that goodness as it makes my job so much easier!

Now, the explanation between my prescription of a Medium and Canyons site saying you need a Small. Great question, glad you asked. Canyon wants to sell bikes via the internet and to do it they must have a method to tell the customer their size. So Canyon's site has a mathematical equation (algorithm?) that takes some of your body measurements and predicts what size bike will work. That method is the third best way to prescribe a bike. It works well and often. The second best way is to take someone's existing tri bike (assuming they like the fit) and measure the Pad Y and Pad X off that bike and use those numbers to prescribe a new bike purchase. And then the #1 best way is to have a well educated, well seasoned bike fitter who owns a dynamic fit bike take you through the process of finding your optimal Pad Y and Pad X and then we pick the bike based on those numbers.

So when you put your body measurements into their site it suggested a small. When we took the Pad Y and Pad X off the existing bike we got a Medium. Let's go with that as it's a better method to use.

I'd like to take a sec to defend Canyon's site in two ways:
1) The Small will work, but you'd need the long stem and that doesn't come stock - you have to purchase that seperatly.
2) 99.9% of bike shops use a method that I would argue is worse than what the site uses. Here's that method: you walk into the shop. You approach the sales person. You say, "I want to buy a new tri bike". The sales person asks your height and you tell 'em, I'm 173cm (or, if you're in the States "I'm 5'8"). And the sales person says... great, I've got a 54cm bike right over here. I would argue that that method is a step yet below the Canyon site numbers crunch.

Of course if you walk into a "fit first" shop or into a bike fit studio then you've landed back at the #1 way to have your bike purchased.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences in sizing so eloquently. I appreciate you taking the time to assist us in making an informed decision.

Gordon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences in sizing so eloquently. I appreciate you taking the time to assist us in making an informed decision.

Gordon,
You are welcome. I'm a coach and a bike fitter and as is often the case..... as a coach, if we want to make a breakthrough of improvement we'd need 2-3 months of consistent, focused training. As a fitter we often see that kind of breakthrough in a 90min fitting. Because of that I cherish the opportunity to help an athlete find the right bike, the right position. It's rewarding!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank you for this thread - an amazing amount of information!

I'm considering the Speedmax CF 8 Disc, it would be a first tri bike and as such, I don't have any pad x / pad y dimensions. So here goes...

Height 177cm
Inseam 81cm
Seat Height (BB to top of saddle) 740mm

When I put these into the PPS it comes out as a medium, however, if I lower height or inseam by about a cm it suggests a small. Do you think there is there any merit to being on a small as opposed to a medium for me?

Normally I would go for a pre-fit etc. and go through that process, but due to a certain virus, these don't appear to be happening.

Any help/ advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Louis
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [debraweier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wow! Thanks Ian. I have been fittend a few times but never got the specs.

Debra,
You are welcome. If you have any more questions get back to me here and I'll help if I can.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [tombongers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,

Thanks for your help here!

Currently I own a Trek Emonda ALR 5 Disc 2019 64 cm road bike and I am looking forward to purchase my first triathlon bike. Either a Speedmax CF 7.0 or Speedmax CF 7 DISC. Could you help me with selecting the right size?
Some measurements my bike fitter gave me:
I am 194cm tall, my inseam is 97 cm and arm length 73 cm.
About the bike:
center of the saddle - bracket = 89.3 cm
end of the saddle - heart of bar = 63.8 cm
difference saddle - bar height = 10.3 cm
stem = 12 cm
I do not know what my stack and reach are. I assume a XL size would be the best for me. Am I correct and should I worry about the standard stem?

tombongers,
There isn't too much from the road position that will translate over to the new tri bike but I'm glad to see it as it helps give me some sense of where you ride. Not only are you tall but you have really long legs and that's going to be a factor in the prescription. I suspect your Pad Y to be around 690 and your Pad X to be roughly 513.

For the new Speedmax CF (disc brake)... You could fit on both bikes in terms of Pad Y & Pad X but what I think your saddle height might be on a tri bike (higher than your current, 893 road position) won't make it on the size large. It's has to be an XL. The stock stem will work for you, pads will be pretty much center of the range. It suits you well.

For the 2019-2020 Speedmax CF (rim brake)...The XL on the bike will work for saddle height, will work for Pad Y, but the Pad X maxes out at 488 with the 90mm stem. I think you might ride longer than that but I could wrong - it's only 25mm shorter than my guess. So, if you went this route AND if the cockpit wasn't long enough then you could get any, standard 100 or 110 stem to work on this bike. The steer tube is 1 & 1/8th inch, the bars bar is standard 31.8.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I need assistance to get the right slx rim brake size. (less maintenance and cheap option)

Size: 184cm
Inseam: 86cm
Arm lenght : 58cm
Torso lenght: 61,5cm
Shoulder width: 48cm

Should I get the M or the L frame (2020) ? Website suggest M size but data is very near to L
Actually on Shiv 2015 L size Pad reach ->490 and Pad stack ->650

Thank you so much for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian

I had a pro bike fit with my current tri bike. Would love to get fit assistance on the new speedmax - CFR and Disc version(s)

Height: 5'4/64in and inseam of 28-29 (closer to 29).
Current tri bike setup - Cannondale slice 51, 155mm cranks.

Seat height - 695mm
Pad Y - Arm Pad Stack BB - 632,,
Pad X - Arm Pad to Grip reach - 343mm; Grip Reach (tip of saddle to front end grip) - 745mm, arm pad reach (tip of saddle to back of arm pad),- 402mm , arm pad to grip reach - 343mm

According to canyon - might be an XS (or it just might be a bike that is not a good fit for me :( )

Thanks
Andrew

M.A.D. Multisports, NY (USA)
Last edited by: dvsho: Mar 23, 21 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your offer to help. I don't know my pad x and my pad y number.

I am just under 6'1" and inseam of 34 or 34.5" (measured with a book against the wall as best I could)

I currently ride a 58cm caad 10 set up for TT/tris, with a thompson setback seat post angled forwards, and profile design t2+ aero bars, and this is pretty comfortable actually. I have one spacer under the bars in front.

I am looking at the canyon CF 7 or 8, either current year (disc) or last year (rim). It seems like I'm right on the bubble between a M and a L on canyon's online sizing tool. I tend to prefer a larger bike, so I'm leaning pretty strongly towards a large. Any thoughts?

Thank you again for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to upgrade my steed. My current set up measurements are the following:

Pad Stack: 690
Pad Reach: 500

Height: 6'0

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you able to give fit assistance for an Aeroad? I own a Grail (CF SL 7.0W 2019) in size 2XS and it's heaven. I know the Aeroad's a totally different ride, but is there a size that'll get close? I'm 5'3", long torso, short arms. On road bikes that are typically sized for someone my height, I often feel there's nothing in front of me and it gets squirrelly on descents. Prefer something longer for more stability - I rented a Felt 51cm F-series bike and it was great. I also can't stand the wicked toe overlap that I get on most small bikes - including my current road bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next