Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a shit-show this is going to become here in Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow-- 2000 altercations already? They can't even wait for the official day the mask mandate is lifted (tomorrow)-- such idiots, these no-maskers. I saw one Sunday morning at HEB, and couldn't resist making a comment under my breath that it isn't even March 10 yet. :(

I did actually call the main HEB customer service, and talked to the store manager at my local HEB, last week shortly after the governor's announcement. I expressed concern as a customer, but also concern for their employees: a) because of their risk of getting sick and the fact they've been out there this whole time, and b) their risk for verbal and physical confrontations because of the policy.

I'm no public health official (not that Abbott listened to any), but wouldn't it have actually made sense, if we had waited one more month (or two) AND bumped up the store and restaurant workers to get their vaccines so they would be mostly protected from the onslaught of opening everything up? It's like no one thinks any of this through the first 5 minutes of consequences.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does HEB have someone outside enforcing the policy? Many places have a policy, but refuse to enforce it. Not in TX, but I’ve only been in three places in the last year that actually had someone enforcing: Wal-Mart, Target, and the local pet food store. Haven’t been to the first two in forever, but local place is still enforcing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People threaten to call ICE on staff of Houston Mexican restaurant after choice to keep mask requirement

https://www.kxan.com/...ep-mask-requirement/
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they have people stationed at the doors, at least at the HEB by my house.

I feel sorry for the employees getting stuck with this duty.

I've been asking stores what their new policy will be and the employees start with,"it's the company making the policy, not me".

Thanks, Abbott, you douche nozzle.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
People threaten to call ICE on staff of Houston Mexican restaurant after choice to keep mask requirement

https://www.kxan.com/...ep-mask-requirement/

People conveniently forgetting that with "their right/liberty/freedom" to not wear a mask, businesses have the same to require wearing a mask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Yes, they have people stationed at the doors, at least at the HEB by my house.

I feel sorry for the employees getting stuck with this duty.

I've been asking stores what their new policy will be and the employees start with,"it's the company making the policy, not me".

Thanks, Abbott, you douche nozzle.

Well, I work at a grocery store who has a policy, but only about 50% of customers comply these days and we aren’t allowed to say a word. Never had any enforcement. Going back to work today after my 14 day quarantine even though wife is still contagious. Has had a 101-103 fever for exactly two weeks now. Even though my chances of getting it from her are very small at this point (per the CDC), I do wonder what others would think of me going back now.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open next week and no masks [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IFR for COVID19 in the US is about 1.15 not .2 to .3..the only person who's claimed it was that low in the US is Ioannidis...who also said we would get at the most 45,000 deaths in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen employees at the entrance to my local HEB reminding customers to wear masks. And really, the compliance has overall been pretty good, though I expect it will deteriorate starting tomorrow. This past Sunday, only the 1 man not wearing his mask at all--everyone else was wearing them, and mostly correctly.

I think they may have stopped having the people outside sanitizing the carts (whatever good that spray they used did), but they still have wipes available to wipe the cart yourself, and I'm cool with that.

What I would not like to see is a return to the early days of the mask wearing-- before it was a state mandate, but it was a city mandate-- I saw one heinous man just unleash all sorts of cussing and anger at the employees (kids-- couldn't have been more than 25 years old) working at Dick's Sporting Goods last spring. He ended up leaving the store as they called the police. But I think our state decided that local towns can't enforce masks shortly after that.

I've seen plenty of videos and reports of people verbally abusing the Cast Members at DisneyWorld, too-- they have a very clear policy that you have to agree to when making a resort or park reservation (have to have reservation for the theme park part) and you sign off on that. The option is 'don't visit at this time if you don't want to comply' and yet, people go and expect to not have the rules apply to them. Like, no one's forcing you to go to Disney, and it's private property, so yes, they do get to tell you to wear a mask. Ugh.

I'm just trying to hold onto optimism that we're going to get enough vaccine out there soon to turn this the rest of the way around and we can eventually get past it. Not in a "burn all the masks and crowd the bars" way, but in an incremental fashion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry you got sick. Hope you and your wife feel better soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open next week and no masks [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The IFR for COVID19 in the US is about 1.15 not .2 to .3..the only person who's claimed it was that low in the US is Ioannidis...who also said we would get at the most 45,000 deaths in the US.

You obviously know more about this than I do, but where was 1.15 published - and, was it presented as a mean or specific to some age group/country?

IFR seems to be highly age dependent. Source (CDC is currently citing this work on their library or PR papers)[/url]

Alt NIH ref:

Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open next week and no masks [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
I'm so sorry you got sick. Hope you and your wife feel better soon.

Appreciate it, but I did not get it (that we know of). I got a test the same day as we received her positive and mine was negative. Fortunately besides the fever and nausea she has avoided the more serious symptoms. Still lots of shallow coughing, but pulse ox hasn’t been close to the danger zone. Today was actually her first day waking up to a fever <100 so we are hopeful there is no bounce tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open next week and no masks [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I saw one heinous man just unleash all sorts of cussing and anger at the employees (kids-- couldn't have been more than 25 years old) working at Dick's Sporting Goods last spring. He ended up leaving the store as they called the police. But I think our state decided that local towns can't enforce masks shortly after that.

I've seen plenty of videos and reports of people verbally abusing the Cast Members at DisneyWorld, too-- they have a very clear policy that you have to agree to when making a resort or park reservation (have to have reservation for the theme park part) and you sign off on that. The option is 'don't visit at this time if you don't want to comply' and yet, people go and expect to not have the rules apply to them. Like, no one's forcing you to go to Disney, and it's private property, so yes, they do get to tell you to wear a mask. Ugh.

I would be fine with just shooting assholes like this. Get them out of the gene pool.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack in the Box restaurant manager stabbed by customer who refused to wear a mask, police say

https://www.cnn.com/...over-mask/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Quote:
I saw one heinous man just unleash all sorts of cussing and anger at the employees (kids-- couldn't have been more than 25 years old) working at Dick's Sporting Goods last spring. He ended up leaving the store as they called the police. But I think our state decided that local towns can't enforce masks shortly after that.

I would be fine with just shooting assholes like this. Get them out of the gene pool.

And your position on the death penalty for child rapists is....?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the other forum, Ironman Texas was canceled. So some of the local governments are still keeping things somewhat constrained.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
According to the other forum, Ironman Texas was canceled. So some of the local governments are still keeping things somewhat constrained.
It was postponed but it makes a more dramatic title to say it was canceled. I know that's not your words, but the title on the forum.
I've been surprised at how many are still masking up in the Austin area.
An interesting dichotomy: at the gym in the early morning, it's about 90% masked. I had to go one evening to pick up swim gear I accidentally left behind. The evening crowd was 90% not masked.

Home Depot, where I expected limited masking, was 100% masked.

We have not yet seen a big spike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
torrey wrote:

It was postponed but it makes a more dramatic title to say it was canceled. I know that's not your words, but the title on the forum.
I've been surprised at how many are still masking up in the Austin area.
An interesting dichotomy: at the gym in the early morning, it's about 90% masked. I had to go one evening to pick up swim gear I accidentally left behind. The evening crowd was 90% not masked.

Home Depot, where I expected limited masking, was 100% masked.

We have not yet seen a big spike.

I reside in Texas. In large cities the mask wearing is continuing. In LifeTime they did away with the masks - still have the temp checks at entry. Some wear a mask most do not. So far almost all the places I have gone into for shopping still have the mask required.

Went on a long run and counted at minimum 14 masks littered along the route. See them all the time even littered out on hiking trails. Pro Mask people like to litter and pollute, I would not have guessed that.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [staycool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
staycool wrote:
Went on a long run and counted at minimum 14 masks littered along the route. See them all the time even littered out on hiking trails. Pro Mask people like to litter and pollute, I would not have guessed that.

you may be right. or, anti-mask people forced to wear masks in commercial establishments throw them away post-use. or a mixture of both. i don't know.

if you have a political comment to make, we have a forum for you, but it's not this one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
staycool wrote:

you may be right. or, anti-mask people forced to wear masks in commercial establishments throw them away post-use. or a mixture of both. i don't know.

if you have a political comment to make, we have a forum for you, but it's not this one.

Since when was the LR not the right forum to make a political comment?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Slowman wrote:
staycool wrote:

That was the user's "first" post. I suspect Dan's issue is more with the poster than the post.
(Or, Dan hasn't had his coffee yet this morning and thought he was in some exercise sub-forum instead of this main one...)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Mar 21, 21 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Slowman wrote:
staycool wrote:

That was the user's "first" post. I suspect Dan's issue is more with the poster than the post.
(Or, Dan hasn't had his coffee yet this morning and thought he was in some exercise sub-forum instead of this main one...)

you're right. i just saw the first post, and thought it was in the tri forum. my mistake. apologies to all. you may proceed to form your own opinions based on discarded masks.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Texas - 100% open this week and no masks [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

So Cathy, who do I contact in your area to get the "red flag" process going? I mean, even if you don't actually own a firearm at least maybe this would get you on a watch list to keep you from being able to lawfully acquire one anytime soon.

Or maybe this was just a lapse in judgement because you got excessively emotionally exercised over someone else's asshole-ish behavior. Kind of like I am right now with what you wrote. Difference is, I don't think shooting is the answer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next