Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I would love to have the same distances.
That will be great for Norway.

its not about Norway. You're conflating why this is a society wide challenge. We see the same thing in WTA Tennis. I don't think Serena with her size would be as dominant in a 5 set format (by the way, I am huge fan of her). 5 Sets is a slightly different animal compared to 3 sets. Those 5 hrs marathon finals between Federer and Djokovic were amazing. Fans are deprived of that on the women's side. And over an XC championship doing slighlty longer events every few days all adds up by the time you get to the 50km on the final day. Its too bad women athletes cannot access the same challenge this many years later.

Anway, whether it is FIS events, UCI cycling, WTA tennis....whatever, its not about Norway, its about women in sport having equal access. If Norway wins even more that is awesome for Norway.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Halvard wrote:
I would love to have the same distances.

That will be great for Norway.

its not about Norway. You're conflating why this is a society wide challenge. We see the same thing in WTA Tennis. I don't think Serena with her size would be as dominant in a 5 set format (by the way, I am huge fan of her). 5 Sets is a slightly different animal compared to 3 sets. Those 5 hrs marathon finals between Federer and Djokovic were amazing. Fans are deprived of that on the women's side. And over an XC championship doing slighlty longer events every few days all adds up by the time you get to the 50km on the final day. Its too bad women athletes cannot access the same challenge this many years later.

Anway, whether it is FIS events, UCI cycling, WTA tennis....whatever, its not about Norway, its about women in sport having equal access. If Norway wins even more that is awesome for Norway.

Yes it is a greater issue.

A lot of countries have a lot of work to do.

https://www.weforum.org/...0-years-pay-equality
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
Amazing watching Klaebo corner and descend in this 50k. If he's there on that descent into the sprint course on the last lap....

Klæbo won and Iversen got gold.
Great race. Great championship.

Happy we got a championship this year. Luckily vaccine will make it easier for the rest of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does skiing have a redress mechanism (my background is in sailing)?

Klaebo getting DSQ'd doesn't really make up for the damage his rule infraction caused to Bolshunov's race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:

Klaebo getting DSQ'd doesn't really make up for the damage his rule infraction caused to Bolshunov's race.

I am not an expert in FIS rules. But my understanding is that if one athlete gets disqualified. Everybody else gets moved up on place.
Unless FIS changes its mind. Iversen is the winner, and Klæbo is DQ is the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jessie's thoughts on the World Champs. Good read: https://jessiediggins.com/world-champs-2021/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
JDinMA wrote:

I am not an expert in FIS rules. But my understanding is that if one athlete gets disqualified. Everybody else gets moved up on place.
Unless FIS changes its mind. Iversen is the winner, and Klæbo is DQ is the results.

IBU has redress similar to sailing, but not FIS

as a sailor i really hope that we do not evolve skiing down the road of to many rules and protest hearings (like sailing has). I have spent to much time in protest rooms over the years.

Andreas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really replying to anyone in particular. Just found it odd that both Sophie Caldwell and Sadie Bjornsen are retiring the year before an Olympic games. I would've thought both of them would have stuck around, especially Bjornsen since she didn't get to be part of the sprint team that won gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Sadie would be invaluable on the relay skiing a classic leg. And isn't the sprint skate in the Olympics? Sophie would be a great option, even though she had a not so great 20-21. Same with Simi. I'm shaking me head.

I know Sadie got her degree and CPA, but it's only one more year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next