Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hip Replacement [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Thank you for all that. I appreciate you taking the time to type up such a thorough response.

It was an anterior approach so her limitations are more, well, limited from what I understand. PT is coming to the house today and I’m very interested in what that will entail.

Quick question: how long does it ordinarily take for folks, other than folks like Ianpeace, to be cleared to start driving themselves around? It is her left hip and we have automatic cars.

You bet, happy to help.

Anterior approaches are excellent, she should be getting back to things rather quickly. Limiting terminal hip extension (think kicking back) is the primary precaution because it will force the head of the femur forward and pressure the area the joint capsule was cut. So no Donkey Kicks or sprinting for now lol.

So I'm kind of surprised they have home PT for her to be honest. I don't know how old she is, how active previously, if she is overweight, if she has other comorbidities that would limit healing. Generally a non-drive leg with an anterior approach in a healthy adult will afford freedom pretty quickly. Again, the guy I have now was driving around within a week. I made sure his surgeon knew, he was off pain meds, and he rigid with every safety measure needed.

I can't imagine they'll restrict her for long. Again, unless there is something else I'm not aware of.

She's 50, good health and of average weight/build. She was fairly active prior to surgery at least for someone with a severely arthritic hip. Her surgeon when he came to visit me in waiting said that he was surprised she was able to wait as long as she did for the procedure with the degree of deterioration he found when he went in.

As for PT, the case manager asked if we wanted someone to come by the house and I said sure. I'll report back after the visit and see what the plan is.

Oh brilliant then. She should be good to go family quickly. Thats the funny thing about arthritis. There is no direct correlation between how the image or joint "looks" and someones level of discomfort or limitation. They did a great study on patients with Knee OA. The non-painful or less painful knee "looked" worse on radiographs than the symptomatic or more painful knee. Wish her well from us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chriskal:

Two examples of triathletes who came back after full hip replacements. Though probably more like ianpeace type athletes. Both driving less than a week after surgery. Both modified posterior methods. Same orthopedic surgeon at UK, Dr. Stephan Duncan. Follow doctor's direction on driving. Must be off the pain meds. Follow doctor's directions about time line for recovery. Crazy how the body recovers. Crazy how the medical technology can restore a lifestyle. Amazing what you find out there of what people are doing within safe limits. Impress upon your mom to not sell herself short on setting goals, and working towards them to enjoy life to its fullest.

“Find a surgeon who's an athlete” : We Are Proof | UK HealthCare

172 Triathlons. 50 States. 6 Continents. 1 New Hip. : We Are Proof | UK HealthCare
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:

It was an anterior approach so her limitations are more, well, limited from what I understand.

Something was nagging me that I forgot to address and I realized I skipped over this.

Anterior approach is much easier in terms of post-op precautions.

Posterior approach: hip flexion above 90 (annoying), adduction, and internal rotation. For sleeping, Add and internal are common. And for women, when shaving legs, you basically break all 3 of those precautions at once which is a huge no-no.

Anterior precautions are, as I said, terminal hip extension, abduction (out to the side), and external rotation. Easier to manage as far as I'm concerned in terms of daily inconveniences.

Sorry, thought I mentioned these earlier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next