Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I think Norway is the favorite to the relay....

I see Norway is going Golberg, Iversen, Holund, and Klaebo for the relay.

I'm a bit surprised Krueger with two individual medals in the championship is out. Also a bit surprised to see Golberg over Valnes if you want a classic sprinter in the leadoff. Golberg has only done the individual sprint so he's more rested, and I admittedly don't know their respective distance capacity well.

Certainly an abundance of riches with that team choice!

Any insight Halvard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to your first point, of course the athletes are not going to throw anyone under the bus (unless they are real douchnozzles). Did any of the US athletes blame the wax in their interviews? I wonder what the typical couch potato Joe Sixpack Swede CC ski fan is saying on the CC Ski interweb forums in Sweden...

To your second point, I agree with you....

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
Halvard wrote:

I think Norway is the favorite to the relay....

I see Norway is going Golberg, Iversen, Holund, and Klaebo for the relay.

I'm a bit surprised Krueger with two individual medals in the championship is out. Also a bit surprised to see Golberg over Valnes if you want a classic sprinter in the leadoff. Golberg has only done the individual sprint so he's more rested, and I admittedly don't know their respective distance capacity well.

Certainly an abundance of riches with that team choice!

Any insight Halvard?

Goldberg has done very well on distance skiing in Norway this year. It was a suprise that he did not ski the skiathlon. He has better endurance than Klæbo and Iversen (most of the days).
Yes it is strange that Kruger is not on the team. I think the argument is that Holund is set for the 3 leg, Klæbo will do the 4th. Then the coach think Goldberg and Iversen are both better in classic than Kruger. If one of them are failing, it will not be easy to be the coach.

Like with Sweden today. Norway is just a waxing mistake away from not being on the podium tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [xcskier66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I'm west coast and had morning meetings, I just finished watching. I still feel sick to my stomach. Yes, the skis were a huge problem for the US. I saw it on Rosie's leg when she'd gap the German on the uphills, then the German would glide right up to her on the downhills and the flats. Same with Jessie and Krista.

Wax, ski structure and selection have cost Jessie at least 2 medals. She should have been able to drop Krista like a bad habit (beat her by 40 seconds in the 10K). Just awful. I'm glad someone else saw it.

USA better park a f'in wax truck in Beijing so we don't have this nightmare next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
It is actually quite ironic that on a mostly long distance triathlon discussion from, people are asking for standardized equipment. Especially when most of the discussions are about buying speed.

I do not think we disagree about waxing at pro-level. My concerns is strictly related to cost of participation at the junior levels, and the treshold for young skiers who do not have parents with waxing experience.

I think we can all agree something is wrong when 12 year olds are using Cera style powder and HF glider on their skis for a regional competition. easily 100-150$ per race. But if one person does, then you have to do it to be in contention.

A
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EiE_ wrote:
Halvard wrote:
It is actually quite ironic that on a mostly long distance triathlon discussion from, people are asking for standardized equipment. Especially when most of the discussions are about buying speed.

I do not think we disagree about waxing at pro-level. My concerns is strictly related to cost of participation at the junior levels, and the treshold for young skiers who do not have parents with waxing experience.

I think we can all agree something is wrong when 12 year olds are using Cera style powder and HF glider on their skis for a regional competition. easily 100-150$ per race. But if one person does, then you have to do it to be in contention.

A

I coached Junior and high school level racing for kids in Canada for several years. I would be preparing skis for kids with pro level wax expense because it I did not they would just lose.

The arms race was silly. At the end of the day I could literally know which kids would race fast based on their raw 1 mile and 5000m run times in the autumn. You get a kid with a massive engine and train them technically and the fast skis or slow skis eventually the big engines with the good technique shine thru. You can't have them on slow was. It is just unfair to those kids.

The kids whose parents were top masters racers always had fast skis and fast wax but I had to make sure that I put the kids with big engines without skier parents on fast skis and fast wax so they could out gun the kids with the home front advantage (maybe I was more sympathetic to kids without the ski and wax arsenal at home because I grew up in a non sporting family and my coaches in all sports in high school brought me into the competitive sport world).

But it would be awesome if we could just levelize the waxing variable. Everyone drops off their selected skis the day before and they all get done exactly the same .

Halvard this is not about random people on a triathlon forum complaining about the equipment side of ski racing. It's atheletes and coaches who are skiers talking about skiing on a ski thread. Almost everyone who posted on this thread knows what they are talking about (at least we are not all clueless). it's the same on this forum when you get on the fish thread. People on that thread know far more than many swim coaches
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EiE_ wrote:
Halvard wrote:

A

Yes but now all flouros are banned in high school and college racing at least here in the US. My daughters raced here in New Hampshire which has a highly competitive high school racing scene and while some kids were really over the top with wax I would say it was a fairly level field. Most kids had a couple of pair for of skate and classic skiis and made due.
Last edited by: endosch2: Mar 5, 21 3:35
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men’s relay this morning, Norway is certainly the favorite but yesterday showed anything can happen. Russia likely second.

Third could be close with France, Sweden, Finland, maybe Switzerland.

US starting a strong group, excited to see how they go.

Picks:
1. Norway
2. Russia
3. Finland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
Men’s relay this morning, Norway is certainly the favorite but yesterday showed anything can happen. Russia likely second.

Third could be close with France, Sweden, Finland, maybe Switzerland.

US starting a strong group, excited to see how they go.

Picks:
1. Norway
2. Russia
3. Finland

Based on the Nowegian waxing, maybe you should pick Russia as #1.
Waxing is part of the sport, and today Norway failed on the first leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe, we'll see. Iivo is really pulling this second group back towards Russia. I think it's going to get spicy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
Maybe, we'll see. Iivo is really pulling this second group back towards Russia. I think it's going to get spicy.

Norway tried to outsmart everybody else and go with klister when it is zero condition.
Luckily, the Russian on the second leg does not have a good day.
This race is full of surprises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iversen did well on the 2nd leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leg 4 and Maki is sitting on Bolshunov. Good times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaebo strolling along waiting for Bolshunov...
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a fun race to watch- result ended up pretty predictably, but lots of twists and turns to get there.

Congrats to France on the bronze, they looked stoked.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best part of the race was Klaebo trolling Bolshunov, then making him his bitch on the last hill. Happy the tactic worked out, but was kinda worried something would go wrong. Did I mention I hate Bolshunov? Kept waiting for him to punch Klaebo.

Happy for France (and Sweden).

Looks like Jessie is skiing the 30k classic. Interesting. I don't think she has a showball's chance in Hades, but with the cuckoo for cocoa puffs weather, waxing and skis, ya never know.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing Sadie, Hailey, Katharine, and Sophia on the 30k start list for USA.

Sadie has announced it will be her last professional race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe i misunderstood the commentators about Jessie. I wish Sadie and Simi would stick it out for one more year (Olympics).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do not like xc-skiing in Norway. This will happen to you.
Context:
The woman in the car is actually the Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg.
The "doctor" is Thomas Alsgaard. Former top skier.
https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqdVcGGDh0

Last edited by: Halvard: Mar 6, 21 0:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
If you do not like xc-skiing in Norway. This will happen to you.
Context:
The woman in the car is actually the Norwegian prime minister Erna Solberg.
The "doctor" is Thomas Alsgaard. Former top skier.
https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqdVcGGDh0

I don't speak a word of it, but that's awesome! Thanks for sharing
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Therese by 2:30+ today... impressive.

Sunday 3/6 @ 7am Men's 50k Classic Mass Start

Like the rest of the distance races at this world champs, this will likely be a battle between Russia and Norway, with a Finn and maybe a Swede or Swiss athlete in the mix.

For Russia, Alexander Bolshunov comes in as a favorite after winning the 50k at Holmenkollen last year, and dominating distance races on the world cup this season. He won the skiathlon earlier in the championship, but was denied a podium in the 15k. Expect Bolshunov to try and push the pace and string things out, especially with some fast Norwegians in the field. I was also impressed by Chervotkin on the first leg of the Russian relay, and he could be in the mix.

As expected, Norway brings multiple contenders with Iversen, Krueger, and Holund all medaling in distance at this championship, and Golberg having something to prove after a poor ski choice in the relay. The Norwegians are also starting Klaebo, and if he can be with the group coming into the stadium it's game over.

IIvo Niskanen from Finland is the 2018 Olympic Champ in the 50k classic and was skiing extremely well in the relay. Jens Burman has had some nice results lately for Sweden (he also has a good Vlog), and Dario Cologna from Switzerland has been skiing well. Probably a way outside pick, but would love to see Andrew Musgrave from GBR have a good one after a strong showing in the skiathlon (the British team has a great podcast, btw).

For the USA we have David Norris, Scott Patterson, Hunter Wonders, and Gus Schumacher. Gus was 4th in the 30k classic at the 2020 US Nationals, but it will be interesting to see him over 50k.

Picks:
1. Bolshunov
2. Iversen
3. Niskanen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great long distance morning here in Norway.
Started the day with Vasaloppet on TV and coffee.
Gjerdalen won the 90k race in 3.28. It is classic and everybody double poled of course.
Korsgreen won over Bjørgen among the women in 3.52.

Anders Aukland won the 45-49 with a sub 3.30 race.

Now soon the 50k :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing watching Klaebo corner and descend in this 50k. If he's there on that descent into the sprint course on the last lap....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to my comment earlier in this thread. Can any one comment on why the women do not race the same distance as men in all distances including the 50km classic. Joan Benoit put this to bed in 1984 with her 2:24 run at the LA Olympics Marathon. We're sitting here 37 years later and women are still being patronized like they are weaklings when that was disspelled ages ago. Doesn't this just signal to all women in and outside this sport that the men running this sport feel women are second class?

I thought it was kind of lame watching the Calgary Olympics (Sarajevo 1984 happened before LA 84, so Joan had not delivered the so called "proof" yet, but by Calgary she had, and women were already putting doing incredible times in Kona). But if track can have a marathon back in 1984 (and the Blue suits at IAAF I put in the same category as Blue Suits at FIFA and UCI) then what is the hold up in XC skiing?
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to have the same distances.
That will be great for Norway.
Quote Reply

Prev Next