Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally get that!

I've been, like many, with limited time in the pool but have actually swam 4-5 times a week all year (wasn't in the pool at all the last three years, basically) and have been doing lots of speed. Even paddles and fins at hard efforts over 50/100s and such. 50s off the block, etc and while I am swimming between 2200-3000 it's transforming my swim for sure!

I'm almost at the point of getting my fast friends out to try to follow them for 25 on their hard 50s haha. But that's also really fun and helpful with racing...

Thanks for the insight and I will let you know how it goes!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:

I have recruited one of the fastest swimmers out here in the boston area to do ONLY speed work with me every thursday.

How did you get Dean to agree to that?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol.
I should say one of the fastest “masters” swimmers in the area.
Not Dean. He has higher goals. But trust me when I say the guy I swim w is freakin fast!

He is also a highly successful “amateur” ows

Daved

Ps. Dean could get his too if he wants to show up w us! Ha (I’m joking)
Tho I do think I could help Dean w his starts!! SMH

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how you guys don't get confused by swimming in 25 yard pools and 25/50m pools Especially when discussing pace, time cycles etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
tilburs wrote:
One of the most important aspects of working with athletes at Lionel´s or Sam´s level whatever your coaching philosophy / heuristic / construct / dogma you mould it and fit it to the athlete, you do not fit the athlete to your schtick. Folks forget that sometimes or choose to ignore it.

David - Honest question for you as his coach: In the video, Lionel talks a lot about how he went out too fast and then couldn't recover in that first 1000 in 11:57. After he does the 2nd 1000 in 11:48, he talks like he's made a "big discovery" that he had gone out too fast before. How can it be that as a 33 yr old athlete he had not "discovered" this before??? As I understand it, he's been running in races since high school and pacing is just as important in swimming as in running. I just don't understand why he is allegedly "learning" this in the pool today at age 33???

Yeah that is odd. This is why we wear $1000 sports watches, to help with our pacing in training. He even has goggles that show him his pace! Any TT, s/b/r you will always have a tendency to head out too fast as you feel great, why is he not using a time alert to keep him on pace? If I want to sit on 1.24 min/100m pace for a 1km TT, I would set my watch to vibrate every 21s (in a 25m pool). If there is no alert, guaranteed I'd go out at 1.20 pace for the first 200m feeling like it was slow...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Nashville we have all 3 but 25 yards is the most common. It really isn’t that difficult to tell a 25 yard pool from a 25 meter pool if you know your paces...a 10% difference in time is noticeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
In Nashville we have all 3 but 25 yards is the most common. It really isn’t that difficult to tell a 25 yard pool from a 25 meter pool if you know your paces...a 10% difference in time is noticeable.

I mean when you're discussing pace. I've been watching Sanders videos for 3 years and always thought he was quoting metres as he would simply refer to his pace as 1.10 pace which I thought was impressive. Only realised in a recent video he wasn't talking about mins/100m. And I assumed he'd be swimming in a 50m pool, not a 25 yard pool!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of the reason he is struggling with pacing is because he’s using the tech and not developing his feel for pace.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the set as 500 warm up with fins - then three time thru - 200 hard pull on 3:00 followed by 6x50 on :50 swim steady hard - great set actually. That one translates well to 4-5-6 times and that's a lot of good swimming!

Thanks for the idea - always fun to do something different, but I can see that one becoming a staple.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to Sam - haha

He said another TT for him today - in Tucson no less - 200 TT followed by 1000 TT - should be interesting to see where he is at. Looks like his first workout with the Aquabears was a little slower over the 75s so should be interesting where his times and improvements are compared to LS.

I love that these guys share- especially because there's a certain ego that they have that being honest about their swim times - they aren't that impressive really - but they are not doing the hard yards and trying their best. I just want to see where Sam ends up!

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said another TT for him today - in Tucson no less - 200 TT followed by 1000 TT - should be interesting to see where he is at.//

YEs, will be fun to see where he is at right now. Just from the altitude drop I would expect at least a 20 second drop, anything more would be a nice indicator that his training is going well. That or he just plain had a great day and was rested a bit more than before...Predictions??

I will say a 2;09/11;56
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was thinking 2:10 and 12:00 so we are close...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a IG comment that Sam responded to a person with a guess of 2:10 / 11:49 and Sam responded "pretty darn close" just a few mins ago. Haven't seen the official splits.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update, looks like I might win the guessing pool!!! OF course there only seem to be two guesses... (-;

I hope it is not much faster though, I still want to attempt his time, maybe get one of them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter is a swimmer and she hates distance but did a 1000 one time in 11:41. We have a young lady staying with us for the next 3 months - I asked her about her 1000 PR...10:00.xx...

Kids are insane haha.

I did figure my guesses being slightly over yours would mean I lose!

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,
Glad you like it! and I appreciate the feedback and being open...

Good luck! Keep at it.
I have speed set #2 tomorrow (not w Dean but if he shows up he better be ready for zero competition and a recovery swim for him!) ha...

Good guesses Monty... I just spent jan in colorado and I LOVE COMING BACK TO SEA LEVEL and swimming. There is just nothing like it.

all the best,

DaveD

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thanks for the update, looks like I might win the guessing pool!!! OF course there only seem to be two guesses... (-;

I hope it is not much faster though, I still want to attempt his time, maybe get one of them...

2:13 / 12:02

I've been to the Orro pool a few times...man it is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Long Swim Test [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
Part of the reason he is struggling with pacing is because he’s using the tech and not developing his feel for pace.

Tim

hehe. Probably true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
monty wrote:

2:13 / 12:02

I've been to the Orro pool a few times...man it is nice.

I couldn't do that right now. Haven't swum since March 2020.... :-(

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the videos I have watched I don’t think he uses the pace from the goggles and actually is trying to go by feel. That’s why he did the 1k/500/1k again cus he went out too hard the first time.

I think the form goggles are more for running time and pace when he’s done not actually using it to actual pace each lap. More post swim data analysis not during the set.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next