Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vaping THC [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really doesn't matter what bad habits you had, what's important is that you quit and come clean. You don't find the standout performers (pointy end) in any sport chewing or smoking routinely. None.

Why would you want to go to school to sharpen your mind, only to dull it with some dope or dope type derivative? Doesn't make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
It really doesn't matter what bad habits you had, what's important is that you quit and come clean. You don't find the standout performers (pointy end) in any sport chewing or smoking routinely. None.

Why would you want to go to school to sharpen your mind, only to dull it with some dope or dope type derivative? Doesn't make sense.

Very good point and noted. But just a curious mind would like to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
I really have a hard time believing that someone that specifically inhales a foreign substance regularly is at the pointy end.

The people on the pointy end are doing much worse things to their bodies.
Chris Froome, in 2018, tested positive for inhaling DOUBLE the limit of the foreign substance albuterol in the middle of the Vuelta. (...cause the world's best cyclist is also "asthmatic"). So, either he was taking around 100 puffs off the inhaler, or the blood bag he reinjected into his arm the night before, full of his blood ,taken from earlier in the Spring, was chock full of non-theraputic doses of the stuff. Then he is cleared by WADA and just sorta disappears for a few years.

Ol' Mike Phelps loves a good bong and having been caught, worst thing that happened was they took his face of the Wheaties box. Still kept all 28 Olympic medals last I checked. I guess it helped him smash in 12,000 calories a day and not feel all the pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vape dry flower (never oils) maybe once a week, used to smoke dry flower but after looking into it, it seemed like it was significantly more harmful than vaping (no combustion when vaping)

I consistently finish in the top 8-10% of my races, usually top 5% of my age group for triathlon. Qualified for Boston in my first marathon (late 2019) and working towards a full Ironman! I wouldn’t consider myself good, but have only been getting better even after the introduction of THC/CBD; I certainly don’t think it contributed towards improving but I don’t believe it has harmed my performance.

Anecdotal, but hope that answers your question :)
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [SpeediestKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeediestKitty wrote:
I vape dry flower (never oils) maybe once a week, used to smoke dry flower but after looking into it, it seemed like it was significantly more harmful than vaping (no combustion when vaping)

I consistently finish in the top 8-10% of my races, usually top 5% of my age group for triathlon. Qualified for Boston in my first marathon (late 2019) and working towards a full Ironman! I wouldn’t consider myself good, but have only been getting better even after the introduction of THC/CBD; I certainly don’t think it contributed towards improving but I don’t believe it has harmed my performance.

Anecdotal, but hope that answers your question :)
I've never smoked, used recreational drugs of any sort, or drank alcohol other than a performative sip a few handfuls of times in my entire life.

And I'll say your approach seems totally reasonable to me. I doubt it is unhealthy at all.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I'm the occasional AG podium at a regional level race, pack fodder for a national level race (PR is 4:50 or so for 70.3). THC on occasion to help me sleep. That said, I use an edible instead of inhaling. I vaped a few times and tossed it after the whole acute lung injury thing (although the majority of those, if I remember the NPR story correctly, were non-legally procured versus through a state regulated dispensary.)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:58 marathon. Not crazy, but not slow.

I prefer flower than cartridges any day. I can feel that in my lungs the next day, but I prefer edibles any day over smoking it. If I am to smoke it I don't sit down with a blunt and do so. I may have 2 or three hits and I will say hitting a vape for the comparable high from flower is noticeable for me. Just feels like there is shit (which there is because its oil) in my lungs. Look up vaping and popcorn lung.

I think the other thing about this is if you are a chronic user, be it nicotine or thc/cbd. Thats a lot different ballgame than someone how takes a couple hits every now and then. As far as the "cheating" aspect - i think thats bullshit but whatever. If I am going to drink or get high I am not going to be doing any sport unless I am just cruising on my bike to the next bar or down a trail. That puts me into a whole different mental space where I couldnt give a fuck about redlining my body for the sake of competing.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, i don’t race anymore. Even when I did, I couldn’t get below 205. Heck, when I finished grad school living on nicotine and booze my last semester, I graduated at 170 and looked like skin and bone. My main concern right how is being able to fight three boxing two minute rounds. And so far I can handle 3-5 depending on intensity.

I’ve also been working with a stretch coach hoping to get to the root of the pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for reasonably fast (17:40 5K in the fall for 34/M), pretty active (average around 10 hours of bike/run), and use THC. Personally I limit it to the weekends (so 1 or 2 times a week) and have been using it more since the pandemic started. It's a nice way to relax and de-stress on the weekends with the S/O (no kids yet) without drinking a lot, which affects my recovery/gainz. I've done both the dry herb vape, edibles, and an e-vape that my S/O has, and while I'm sure it's not doing me any favors it doesn't seem to hurt my workouts the next morning and can sometimes help me sleep (plus the benefits of just having fun and relaxing). My guess is this is probably a lot more common with the younger crowd having grown up in an era where pot is more normalized.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some thoughts.

1) I am concerned about THC and it's relationship to psychosis and mental health, in general.
THC might severely aggravate or even cause severe mental health issues

2) The mental health risks seem to be aggravated by the following things:
A) High concentrate and high use.
B) Being young
C) THC products that have had CBD removed or reduced.
THC is a mild hallucinogen, for many people, and is associated with short term and longer term psychosis.
CBD appears to ameliorate some of the negative consequences.
THE LESS ARTIFICIAL THE WEED THE BETTER.
D) The individuals existing mental health.

3) That said, their are risks and negative side-effects with everything. Alcohol is a very damaging drug and many successful people us it!!

4) Vaping is probably a little dangerous.
But I wouldn't be super concerned about it. We drive cars, ride bikes, do yard work. Those things are probably more dangerous.

5) I believe that any health benefits associated with THC or CBD are greatly overstated or completely made up.

THC and endurance sports:
1) THC might still be on some list of banned substances.
This is stupid THC is probably harmful -not performance enhancing.
A list of banned substances should be about limiting cheating, not trying to force "moral purity."
2) Training for endurance events is meditative and mildly psychedelic (without weed)- in a healthy way.

That said:
3) I am a FOP age group triathlete.
4) One might find that long rides or long runs are a lot of fun on weed - meditative and psychedelic- in a less healthy way.
5) I think low dose edible, with balanced THC and CBD - would be best.
6) There are, no doubt negative consequences.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Here are some thoughts.

1) I am concerned about THC and it's relationship to psychosis and mental health, in general.
THC might severely aggravate or even cause severe mental health issues

2) The mental health risks seem to be aggravated by the following things:
A) High concentrate and high use.
B) Being young
C) THC products that have had CBD removed or reduced.
THC is a mild hallucinogen, for many people, and is associated with short term and longer term psychosis.
CBD appears to ameliorate some of the negative consequences.
THE LESS ARTIFICIAL THE WEED THE BETTER.
D) The individuals existing mental health.

4) One might find that long rides or long runs are a lot of fun on weed - meditative and psychedelic- in a less healthy way.
5) I think low dose edible, with balanced THC and CBD - would be best.
6) There are, no doubt negative consequences.

I completely agree and have a fairly extensive theory related to these exact points but i'll be brief...

Today's strains do not resemble to MJ of even 10 years ago. MJ is a synergistic medicine, with many (100+) cannabinoids present that work together to achieve the therapeutic effects. CBD being the most prominently therapeutic.

THC is only psychoactive, and it's quite a nasty thing without it's friends to balance it out. Mental health issues, including psychosis, anxiety, paranoia and schizo, will become increasingly more prevalent among users over time with this 'new' MJ. It will develop into a mental health crisis. At least alcohol destroys you in the end and forces you to quit, MJ will just cause people to spin. It already is.

People are dosing themselves like never before. 20 years ago, finding a 20%+ THC strain was almost impossible. Most everything was 5-10%. The high of yesterday does not resemble the high of today. Add in concentrates, and the average dose per use has gone up dramatically, yet no one seems to notice...

The MJ of today is hard liquor. Everyone taking shots of 120 proof whiskey thinking it's the same as beer.

People say MJ is relaxing. So when you use a 24% THC strain with 0% CBD, do you feel 'relaxed'? Wear your HR monitor, you'll get your answer right there. MJ was relaxing, back when it was 5% THC and 4% CBD and the rest were in balanced ratios, not anymore

Strava
Last edited by: RossJ: Mar 2, 21 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' 1" 200lb 40 year old male.

Daily smoker for 20 years, ran a 17:00 5k last month. 1:19 HM PR a couple years ago (with a pre race smoke in the parking lot).

I might be able to go faster with 'pure' lungs but I concur that there is a psychoactive element that can be harnessed for good as I am generally more ambitious and creative in my training with THC in the mix.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaping THC [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RossJ wrote:
I completely agree and have a fairly extensive theory related to these exact points but i'll be brief...

Today's strains do not resemble to MJ of even 10 years ago. MJ is a synergistic medicine, with many (100+) cannabinoids present that work together to achieve the therapeutic effects. CBD being the most prominently therapeutic.

THC is only psychoactive, and it's quite a nasty thing without it's friends to balance it out. Mental health issues, including psychosis, anxiety, paranoia and schizo, will become increasingly more prevalent among users over time with this 'new' MJ. It will develop into a mental health crisis. At least alcohol destroys you in the end and forces you to quit, MJ will just cause people to spin. It already is.

People are dosing themselves like never before. 20 years ago, finding a 20%+ THC strain was almost impossible. Most everything was 5-10%. The high of yesterday does not resemble the high of today. Add in concentrates, and the average dose per use has gone up dramatically, yet no one seems to notice...

The MJ of today is hard liquor. Everyone taking shots of 120 proof whiskey thinking it's the same as beer.

People say MJ is relaxing. So when you use a 24% THC strain with 0% CBD, do you feel 'relaxed'? Wear your HR monitor, you'll get your answer right there. MJ was relaxing, back when it was 5% THC and 4% CBD and the rest were in balanced ratios, not anymore

Although the THC levels in historical testing is probably under estimated, it is true that THC levels have increase quite a bit. Thankfully there seems to be a trend towards more balanced things in the Cannabis world. Lots of CBD, CBG, CBN, CBC, etc to be found out there. People are finding that a good mix of cannabinoids and terpenes get you the best experience. There are a lot of super high THC only products out there, but it seems to be changing.

Don't get too hung up on the % as an indicator of increased dosage. Lots of users like high % so that they can smoke and/or vape less for the same effects. Look for mg per dose. There are lots of lower mg/dose options out there. For example, I know lots of people taking 5 mg and under edibles that are 1:1 THC/CBD. There are even products that are 1:17 THC/CBD.

There certainly are people taking super high THC doses these days, and the availability of the high THC strains make this easier, but there were people in the 60s, 70s and 80s taking super high THC doses too, they just had to consume a lot more flower(and stems back then) to achieve those levels. It's the difference between a single dab today vs smoking a 1/8 oz of crappy weed in the 60s. The milligrams might be the same, but the lung damage would be less today.
Quote Reply

Prev Next