Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Therese has completely blown apart this race, geez.

Tough one for Jessie so far, classic skis didn't look great, and going backward on a skate leg isn't what you expect from her.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all in for Muzzy in this men's race!

Also, Scott Patterson!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
Well Therese has completely blown apart this race, geez.

Tough one for Jessie so far, classic skis didn't look great, and going backward on a skate leg isn't what you expect from her.

haha....someone check Therese's lip balm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good day for Norway. 2 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze in four events.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So huge disappointment for Jessie today. I'm just gonna say it. She's tired. TDS took too much out of her. I'm not seeing her bounce back for the 10k. (do I sound like the harbinger of doom?).

I have no idea what happened to Swirbul and Ogden. Such a great early season and TDS.

Is the old adage that the better you do at TDS, the worse you do on the second half of the season, coming true? I can't figure out if its the skis or fatigue or a combo thereof?

The guys on the other hand, kicked ass today. So exciting.

I can't wait to see Simi and Gus tomorrow. I think its Rosie and Sadie in the team sprint tomorrow.

If Rosie and Jessie can get some December snap back, we are looking great for the 4 x 5. The men also have a great team in the 4 x 10 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Whitcomb admits they missed the skis for the women's sprint and skiathlon. He is proud they were able to bounce back and have better skis for the men: https://open.spotify.com/...xNKddkakXeJzDcKtHyf7

Really hoping Jessie can bounce back for the 10k and relay.

ETA: Rosie and Sadie for the US in women's team sprint. They are in semifinal A with Switzerland and Slovenia who are both medal contenders. The women's team sprint is going to be really interesting with Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovenia, Russia, and the US all very strong.
Last edited by: JDinMA: Feb 27, 21 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just needs some lip balm from the Norwegian wonderkid to get the spring back
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 3: Sunday 2/28

Cold overnight but warming to 50f tomorrow. Track could get pretty beaten up after 4 semifinals with 14 teams each and two finals.

One thing I noticed today, there is GPS tracking on the FIS site now and you can watch replays of races: https://static.sportresult.com/...c2021/ccs/index.html

Men's and Women's Team Sprint Finals: 7am EST

Women:

I'm really looking forward to this one. I think Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovenia, Russia, and the USA could all be in the mix. Favorites are likely Norway and Sweden, especially after their performances in the individual sprint. Sweden is starting Maja Dahlqvist and Jonna Sundling, which is a formidable team, although I'm a bit surprised not to see Linn Svahn. Norway is starting Falla and T.U. Weng, both individual finalists.

Slovenia is a definite contender having taken the win in Ulricehamn with Lampic and Urevc. Switzerland was first in Dresden and third in Ulricehamn, and Nadine Faehndrich has been impressive in skate sprints this season.

The USA is bringing the Alaskan power with Rosie Brennan and Sadie Maubet Bjornsen. Strange not to have Jessie in a team sprint, but her focus has likely shifted to the 10k skate. Excited to see what Rosie and Sadie can do.

Picks are tough. Seems foolish to leave Norway out, but one can hope.

Picks:
1. Sweden
2. Slovenia
3. Switzerland

Men:

Norway for the win with Klaebo and Valnes, although Russia with Bolshunov and Retivykh won't make it easy. Italy, France, and Switzerland are also strong, with Italy and Switzerland taking first and second respectively in Ulricehamn. After not making the individual final, I'm sure Pellegrino will be firing for this one.

The USA is starting a really promising team with first-year senior Gus Schumacher and veteran Simi Hamilton. Gus has had a really strong first season on the World Cup, and Simi is a great skate sprinter. Excited to see how this one goes!

Picks:
1. Norway
2. Italy
3. Russia

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool day of skiing on Norwegian TC.
Devon Kersaw is a guest in the studio all day.
Alex Harvey also came on since it is 10 years since those two won in Oslo 10 years ago.

Fun fact.
Canada fired Arild Monsen as a coach. He then went to coach sweden Sweden and then Norway.
He is now the most winning coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great picks. My thoughts on USA / Women. USA held it together well. Sadie made a big mistake in letting Lampic catch up after they had the gap on the last lap. Fall or not, she was not going to outsprint Lampic down the stretch. Switzerland sticking to Sweden up the last hill was awesome. Falla coming unglued for Norway huge surprise. And where the hell did Russia come from? They haven't done shit all year.

Men: well I saw a brief replay of Gus falling down in the exchange, will have to watch the replay (thanks for the link). What a huge blown chance for USA. Rookie mistake, but considering he is a rookie, well...

Klaebo is freaking ridiculous. Love him. I was waiting for Bolshunov for come charging out of the finish area and tackle Maki before the line to get the silver :) I hate Bolshunov and the Russians.

At least the USA didn't screw up the structure / wax this time. Big pressure now for the 10k. I think Diggins can do this. Gus will be top 12.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaebo is the best sprinter, however, what Bolshunov is doing recently, is almost from another planet.
I mean, first he podiums in just about any race he enters until Christmas, then completely destroys Tour de Ski, and now, after he dropped the entire field by leading just about the entire skiathlon freestyle leg, he comes out today and flies uphill like he didn't do all those efforts before.

Allright, in the women's field, Johaug is untouchable in distance races, but at least she can't sprint unless there is a long steep hill involved.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the women's race was really fun. They seemed to be gunning from the start compared to the men. I have nothing at all against the Norwegians, but it's great to see other countries on the podium. Too bad one of them wasn't the US!

I was actually cheering for Bolshunov during the skiathlon when he was up against 5 Norwegians. You could at the finish that capturing his individual title was incredibly meaningful. There is a great three part series about Bolshunov on the Fasterskier website right now- worth a read. I still think he should have faced a stiffer penalty after Lahti, but his skiing is amazing to watch.

Definitely didn't see Finland taking the men's silver, that was pretty cool. When I woke up this morning and saw the US didn't qualify then looked at the splits it was clear something happened to Gus to lose 15-17 seconds in one leg. Hearing the story of the exchange was heartbreaking, but I highly recommend reading Simi's quote on Fasterskier. Classy, classy dude.

Also stoked for the Canadians in 7th!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, I wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. I don't particularly enjoy the format for pro level skiing in that it is always national teams. I kind of like the format for pro cycling better with athletes from many countries on trade teams. Of course that has the scenario of the best sponsored teams having the deepest payrolls. But I do really like the sport (the actual act of skiing, just did a virtual 50km skate ski race today), so in spite of not liking the format of national teams, I do like the actual sport.

Cool image from the relay (thanks fasterskier.com)

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 28, 21 18:40
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that you were suggesting this, and I know that we shouldn't cast aspersions without proof, but considering the history with Russia, I can't quite wonder if Bolshunov is legit. Shades of Johan Muehlegg?

And to comment about Johaug, no, I believe she got a bad prescription (wasn't it proven the steroid came from that lip cream). I know the American team does not think she was intentionally doping.

Anyhow, he are my predictions for women's 10K. Looks to be 45 degrees and sunny.

1. Johaug
2. Diggins
3. Ebba

then, Frida, Fosseholm, Stadlober in that combo...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Jessie Diggins will medal tomorrow. She has a strong head and lots to prove.

Johaug is going to win for sure. No doubt about that.

Just wait though, the USA women will medal in 4x5k relay. The team is super fired up. Norway will win the relay, sweden will get second and USA will be third.

I think the order will be:

1. Sadie
2. Rosie
3. Laukli
4. Diggins
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [xcskier66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the relay... but I think Swirbul will get the nod over Laukli. Don't get me wrong, Laukli is the future. But Swirbul had great early season results at Davos (3rd in 10k) and TDS, so she is proven, despite Laukli beating her at the skiathlon (lets be honest, the classic ski wax issue probably had a lot to do with that). Laukli looks to be a strong climber. She will do great things soon.

The best part of this is arguing who we can put on a women's RELAY. I've been following XC for 30 years, and this is the first time I've ever had the luxury of worrying about who is in the right line up for a US relay.

I'm also gonna say Sweden is going to top Norway. If Svahn get can get it together (I have no idea what happened to her in the sprint), they will send her our first, and she will gap the field (unless Norway sends Johaug, then all bets are off).
Last edited by: hbog12: Mar 1, 21 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuesday 3/2: Women's 10k Free Interval Start @ 7:15am EST

Really looking forward to this one, and the field is stacked.

Jessie Diggins for the USA has been targeting this race, and after a tough sprint and skiathlon, I really hope she is able to throw down a good one. Jessie won the 10k skate in Falun over Therese Johaug, and has been on fire all winter. The US is also starting Rosie Brennan who is sitting 3rd overall in the world cup, and Sadie Maubet Bjornsen who looked really strong the team sprint. Rounding out the American women is Sophia Laukli who had a great result in the skiathlon with a 25th as a first year senior.

Despite finishing second to Jessie in Falun, Therese Johaug is probably still the favorite. Because Norway has the defending world champ (Johaug), they get five starting spots, and all of their skiers are threats. Notably Fossesholm is a multiple jr. world champ and Haga is the defending Olympic champ in this event.

For Sweden Ebba Andersson and Frida Karlsson have already been on the podium in the skiathlon, Maja Dahlqvist has a gold in the team sprint, and Charlotte Kala has multiple world champ and Olympic wins and medals.

Stupak, Nepryaeva, Sorina have all been skiing well for Russia, and Teresa Stadlober from Austria had an impressive 4th in the skiathlon earlier in the championship.

So many contenders- going to be great!

Picks:
1. Johaug
2. Diggins
3. Andersson
Quote Reply
Re: Cross Country Ski World Champs 2021 [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Klaebo is the best sprinter, however, what Bolshunov is doing recently, is almost from another planet.
I mean, first he podiums in just about any race he enters until Christmas, then completely destroys Tour de Ski

Meh. It was a pretty subdued field, defined more by who wasn't there vs. who was.

Russia can establish a reputation as being solid competitors who are all clean if they were to embrace doping regulations and being in testing by another (non-Russian) agency. They haven't, and until they do I view his achievements with suspicion.

I also factor in 2 Russian athletes slapping and tackling other competitors at the finish line in recent years. It's enough for me to dislike them. I'm cheering for literally anyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit I have trouble not being skeptical of Johaug. I mean I know she is a generational talent, but when you have served a doping ban and then win the 10k at the World Champs by 54s.... ugh.

Bummed for Jessie, but it was clear Frida and Ebba were in amazing form coming into to today. The Relay should be good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great day for Johaug.
Finally her technique is matching her capacity.
Her coach is PÃ¥l Gunnar Mikkelsplass.

Before the championship she did some important skate sessions on the treadmill.
She managed to calm down and get more push.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
I'll admit I have trouble not being skeptical of Johaug. I mean I know she is a generational talent, but when you have served a doping ban and then win the 10k at the World Champs by 54s.... ugh.

Bummed for Jessie, but it was clear Frida and Ebba were in amazing form coming into to today. The Relay should be good!

In general terms we are all going to be leery about any generational talent that dominates. We can thank Ben Johnson for really elevating this skepticism. Bjarne Riis just elevated it to a complete different level in parallel to the 1992/1994/1998 Italian XC ski teams (Conconi and Ferrari had done their research focused on specific sports). With Therese being banned for lip balm steroids and then coming back to dominate like this, she's just gonna have a cloud hanging overhead when it seems too good to be true. Maybe it is just being a generational talent AND being part of the best organized competitive ski conveyor belt on the planet. I think that would be the ideal scenario. Does she ski 30 seconds slower over 10km if she competed for Croatia, Canada, France or Andorra and a lot of the gains are just being part of the Norway program (I hope its just better Norwegian prep, training, and equipment)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, youtube tv didn't record it, so i had to wait to watched it. Jessie, Sophie and Rosie just looked labored. working really hard, not going fast, not great glide. lotsa hills, heat, slow snow and maybe still some wax issues, its just not our week. Frida looked smooth and in control. And Johaug like a flea on steroids (in short, like normal, not meant to be a dig). her tempo and strength to weight ratio must be insane.

As a Villanova grad, in basketball, we light to make ourselves feel better by calling bad losses "moral victories" and "brightside" the next game. So here is my brightside... moving onto the relay. Rosie had a great opening 5k. Sadie was top 10. Ahead of Weng, . Norway could be in trouble in the relay. Sweden looks to be the favorite, with Kalla skiing so well, that can move Ebba or Frida to a classic leg, giving them added power.

Looking forward to the guys tomorrow. Hopefully it will cool off. Can't wait to see what Gus can do. Unlike mass starts, there will be zero lolly-gagging, and thankfully no Bolshunov.

Picks:
1. Hollund
2. Kroeger
3. Roethe

Gus... 7th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am vehemently anti-doping. Really am. I think it is so dissapointing the Russians are even at this championship.

But Johaug is clean. She made an honest mistake with her lip cream. For me, the single fact that she wasn't cheating was that she reported to doping control she was using the cream. She really made an honest mistake and took bad advice from her doctor on how to fix a sunburn and didn't get a TUE.

This win by Johaug might be the best ever. To win a 10K by 45 seconds? WTF. She is unbeatable in sloppy uphill conditions.

Too bad the world champs won't ever be at a venue with fair snow again. I think Jessie would have been on the podium if it was -10C and fair skiing.

Watch out. USA women are getting bronze in the 4x5K relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's highly unlikely that both herself and the team doctor not only clearly missed the steroid in the lip balm(obvious to any doctor and elite athlete) but also missed the big sticker on the package saying it contained a banned substance. Maybe also a coincidence that the testing methodology improved during that period to detect the substance for twice the amount of time in the body compared to before.. Either way I can't believe she got off as lightly as she did both in terms of her ban from racing but also in the public eye.

I hope what she did today was done fairly but for someone to win by almost 1min in a 23min race at a world championships is really hard to understand. Imagine a scenario where someone from Russia with a previous doping violation(and blaming lip balm) doing that and compare the reactions afterwards.

I just feel like we have seen efforts like that, which has since been proven to be chemically enhanced, so many times before at this point.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Mar 2, 21 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcskier66 wrote:
Too bad the world champs won't ever be at a venue with fair snow again. I think Jessie would have been on the podium if it was -10C and fair skiing.

Trondheim 2025!

Predictable weather on the xc skiing location, and will be in a post Fluorbased glider and kick wax world. So hopefully fair for all major teams (who have the resources to build new knowledge).

I can see the top of the jumps from My house:-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next