Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
So let’s get people on the record.

Will Tiger Woods ever win another full-field professional golf tournament?

I’ll say no.

Will Tiger Woods ever win another Major?

Obviously I’m saying no.

Agreed. His winning days are done if you don't count the Champions Tour. The Champions Tour is for pros who can't keep up with the younger folk. Tiger is 45. I didn't see him winning another Major *before* the crash. After? Forget about it. People who think otherwise are thinking with nostalgia, and not common sense.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [rotoraz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live here. That this road is notorious for crashes would be news to me. He went thru the median and crashed on the other side, rolling ass over tea kettle.

This wasn’t the road
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I live here. That this road is notorious for crashes would be news to me. He went thru the median and crashed on the other side, rolling ass over tea kettle.

This wasn’t the road

Looks like a nice road in the pics. Is it safe for biking? ..wide shoulder?..moderate speed limit?
Last edited by: shady: Feb 24, 21 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

This wasn’t the road

One of the articles I read said there is actually an intentionally designed 100 yard long sand barrier there for cars and trucks that gain too much speed. Granted, it appears to be intended for vehicles traveling in the opposite direction! Sounds like crashes happen in relatively high frequency though.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

This wasn’t the road

One of the articles I read said there is actually an intentionally designed 100 yard long sand barrier there for cars and trucks that gain too much speed. Granted, it appears to be intended for vehicles traveling in the opposite direction! Sounds like crashes happen in relatively high frequency though.

There is a runaway lane at the bottom, and I always want to drive up it :). I’ve never heard it being used but it’s there. I’ve always thought it odd as the street isn’t the longest or steepest or curviest. But it is wide - 4 lanes with median- which may encourage speeding

I do see the sheriff saying it’s well known for crashes so they know better than me. It’s just a very safe decent if you’re not driving like Tiger

And he was going downhill which is where the runaway lane is
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 24, 21 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

This wasn’t the road

Looks like a nice road in the pics. Is it safe for biking? ..wide shoulder?..moderate speed limit?

I’ve been up and down it. Don’t ride it much and not sure why because it’s good pavement and wide shoulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

This wasn’t the road

I'm with you. I live right around the corner and have been driving down that exact road for 20 years. Unless you are not paying attention, it's not the road.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I need to hear from medical people on prognosis for recovery and rehab before I go on 'record'

It's only the LR, the penalties here for having an opinion aren't severe.

I would have bet that he would never win another major before this accident. He did win in April 2019 but even that was 2 years ago and he has had long bouts of injury/rehab since then, plus his recent back surgery. It was doubtful if he would be even back this year and with the fields seeming to get stronger (Jordan Spieth is playing well again, Dustin Johnson in his prime and the other threats like Rory, Rahm, Koepka, Schaffle etc) he would have to be at his best for 4 rounds.

Assuming this year is gone (it was likely a wash before the accident) he would be 46 at next year's Masters (Jack won at that age) but time is ticking.

After hearing about his leg injury, I bet he will not win a major and about 90% chance that he will never win another PGA event (not counting the Champions Tour).

I'm with you and I believe it was jpo, I didn't think he would win another major either but now, I just don't see how his body could hold up through all of the practice and then the 4 days of walking a course and the strength needed to be in contention.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
And he was going downhill which is where the runaway lane is

Ah, makes sense they mentioned it then. They didn’t say it was a runaway barrier or which direction. I looked at the scene on Google maps and I was looking at the wrong thing apparently.

Either way, thank god there wasn’t anyone oncoming in the lane he passed through.
Last edited by: TimeIsUp: Feb 24, 21 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to LA Sheriff’s Department, Woods was not intoxicated, and there are unlikely to be any charges. They also said there have been at least 13 vehicle accidents on that stretch of road since Jan 2020, so just under one per month.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
According to LA Sheriff’s Department, Woods was not intoxicated, and there are unlikely to be any charges. They also said there have been at least 13 vehicle accidents on that stretch of road since Jan 2020, so just under one per month.

Wasn’t intoxicated, but officer on the scene said he had no clue how serious his injuries were. Adrenaline/shock (concussion?) can be a good thing sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as I have wanted to see TW pass Jack's record and also as many times as I wrote him off doing that post his 2008 win at Torrey, the man came back and won the Masters in 2019. I was thrilled. I would love to again, but I see it playing out one of these ways (yes, Captain obvious here) going forward:

1. He calls it quits. TW has admitted that he can't practice as much, as long or as hard as he could earlier in his career due to all the injuries to his body - specifically his back. He has also admitted that he can't just roll into a tournament without the "reps" and play 4 days of highly competitive golf. We have seen that. He has a great first round, stiff the next round and if he makes the cut, a bit of the same over the next two days and voila ... finishes 25th or something. Hell even if he finishes 2nd ... that's not TW. He's in it to win it.

He is also seeing the importance of family more and more. The kids are getting older, he can now play and practice with Charlie. I could see him wanting to do more of that. He has his tournaments, his foundation ... he has plenty to keep him busy. He always used to say, "I'll play as long as I can compete".

2. He recovers from his wreck injuries (we still have no word on if his back held up to this), takes a year to recover, rehab and starts hitting balls again in about 8-9 months (making that timeline up, I'm no Doc). He misses the hell out of it and says, "I'm back" and gives it a go. Problem with all this is that he is 46+ .... he's still dealing with back issues and god knows what else, so he still can't put the reps in to prep for tourney's and truly be competitive. On top of that, all these other young guys are getting fitter and better a long the way. He was already having a hard time keeping up with them on the majority of courses. The exception was Augusta because it's a shotmakers course, putting is key and TW knows that place better than anyone ... it was like Mark Allen / Dave Scott at Kona ... they just flourished on that course.

Ben Hogan is a great comeback story, but I doubt it's one to be repeated. So many different variables today in terms of the quality of competitive players on tour ... and Hogan had an accident and recovered, he wasn't, to my knowledge, dealing with all the other injuries that TW has had over his career (back, achilles, knee's)

So .... My money is on #1. I think he thinks about his options, but several months down the road he realizes it's just not gonna be the same and he retires. Maybe there is some small chance he goes for the Sr Tour, but he has never really expressed a ton of desire for that, at least I haven't heard him talk about it. Some fun Pro-Ams, etc ... maybe, but I don't even know if I see that.

If he was in his 20's when this happened, I'd give him a shot, but at 45 and with his body, nada. I hate saying that, because he has been a golf Idol to me, but it just doesn't seem realistic. He proved me wrong after 2008 and I'd be pleased as punch if he did it again, just don't think he can, not saying he wouldn't want to.

FINAL point - yes, TW, get a freaking driver. I'm actually astonished they didn't have someone taking/picking him up at the hotel to bring him to the shoot.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
No, I am not joking about winning, and a will to recover and compete. That’s why I asked.
Have you ever won after recovering from trauma car wreck?
I’ll further extend the parameters of the question and ask if you’ve ever worked hard have enough to win, and won without suffering trauma?

What does any of that have to do with Tiger Woods winning a golf tournament?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are genuinely asking, it’s all about TW winning a golf tournament.
1. Recover and compete
2. Winning after recovery
3. Working hard enough to win
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
If you are genuinely asking, it’s all about TW winning a golf tournament.
1. Recover and compete
2. Winning after recovery
3. Working hard enough to win

That's nice and all but that's assuming you can recover to compete. It's not about being tough or gritting your teeth, there are a lot of mechanics in golf that have nothing to do with recovering from an accident and running a triathlon. I did have a serious bike injury with 14 broken ribs, a concussion, 2 collapsed lungs, and 2 broken bones in my back. I can tough it out as much as I like but I'm not going to ever be able to run again.

Having a plate in your leg will likely really interfere with the mechanics of a golf swing. Tiger Woods has always been a hard worker but that's not enough to be the best golfer in the world. He has talent, athletic ability and good mechanics and an injury could simply end his chances of ever winning again.

He one 1 major since 2008. He worked very hard in that time and was slowed by injuries. It has nothing to do with his work ethic, it has to do with injuries and distractions taking away both the physical and mental abilities it takes to win in golf.

You make it sound like all he has to do is follow your lead, Just recover/compete, win after recovery and work hard enough to win. That might work in a stadium listening to a Tony Robbins motivational speech but in the real world, nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your cowardice is exposed by your contempt. Your failure to answer either/both questions means you've seen nothing but my ass for years on race day.

I've never been to a recreational catered walk-jog. Send me a registration link :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
Your cowardice is exposed by your contempt. Your failure to answer either/both questions means you've seen nothing but my ass for years on race day.

No, it means I don't strut around like a rooster on the internet. :)

I have no problem with Tiger being your hero, though.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions? One question? Either question? Still unanswered Trail.

:) "Well? We're waiting!" -- Judge Schmales :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:

I've never been to a recreational catered walk-jog. Send me a registration link :)

You are embarrassing yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote] You make it sound like all he has to do is follow your lead, Just recover/compete, win after recovery and work hard enough to win. That might work in a stadium listening to a Tony Robbins motivational speech but in the real world, nonsense.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger will follow his own lead. You followed yours to whatever post-crash ambulatory and psychological success that you have achieved. I followed my lead (btw, our injuries were similar). These real world successes are not nonsense.

Does Tony Robbins still do a schtick?
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm devastated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
shady wrote:
ike wrote:
Now that he seems to be safe, I will add: WTF? Two single-vehicle accidents? Get a chauffeur. The guy is a menace behind the wheel. He one of the most important US athletes of the past 30 years, but this is not ok. Especially as cyclists, we should take a stand against such high-profile dangerous drivers.

are we counting the collision where hes being chased out of the house by an irate Ms Woods wielding a 2-iron. I think we gotta give him a pass on that one:) . On the others , I agree! Brutal driving and threat to public safety

In fairness, it's been widely reported that this particular stretch of road is known for causing accidents, for people driving faster downhill than they should, etc. Woods doesn't seem to be the only person who has had problems with this stretch of road.

There’s no shortage of shitty drivers who don’t exercise common sense and drive like their lives depend on it. He may just be one of them. I’m the same age as Tiger and have zero accidents on my record, and average 25-30k miles per year on high speed congested roads.

Roads rarely if ever cause accidents. Drivers do. Two single vehicle accidents is a little concerning.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
[quote] You make it sound like all he has to do is follow your lead, Just recover/compete, win after recovery and work hard enough to win. That might work in a stadium listening to a Tony Robbins motivational speech but in the real world, nonsense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger will follow his own lead. You followed yours to whatever post-crash ambulatory and psychological success that you have achieved. I followed my lead (btw, our injuries were similar). These real world successes are not nonsense.

Does Tony Robbins still do a schtick?[/quote]

It was surprising to me but yes. A few friends in Thailand attended one of his courses online and there were massive numbers online. I thought he was long gone but still big followings.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Feb 25, 21 2:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to the thread in general...

I would've bet that Alex Smith wouldn't have been able to come back, much less even walk normally, following his injury. Good to see that he was able to have made it back to a season of football. Seems like the odds would be against Tiger coming back to the same level of his game or even close to it.

However it's not a bet I would take because:

(1) Pro's aren't like us in terms of having unlimited access to the best resources to rehab, recover, plus the time to 100% make it their focus. There was an interesting article about Kevin Durant's recovery over the past two seasons from his torn achilles. Most folks just can't do what they do b/c of the stuff of normal life that we put time into that pros can get around. You know, work, family, etc.

(2) I'm not a betting man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Oz says that Tiger will be back to playing golf in a year. My confidence that he will never return is now soaring.

https://www.tmz.com/...rn-golf-competition/

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next