Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
svennn wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BIKE3 wrote:
Your response is exactly why you are wrong.

Uh huh. Keep drinking that Tiger aid.

How much do you know about Ben Hogan?

So letā€™s get people on the record.

Will Tiger Woods ever win another full-field professional golf tournament?

Iā€™ll say no.

Will Tiger Woods ever win another Major?

Obviously Iā€™m saying no.

I need to hear from medical people on prognosis for recovery and rehab before I go on 'record'
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
svennn wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BIKE3 wrote:

Iā€™ll say no.

I assume you mean on the regular PGA tour, and not the "Champions" tour?

I'm curious if the Senior Tour even appeals to him. He seems like someone who wants to be the best, not the best for his age.

But I suppose he will need something to fill his weekends. And there are worse ways to do it.

My understanding is that he wants to win the Senior Open, because that would make him the only person in history with every USGA men's championship.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
svennn wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BIKE3 wrote:

Iā€™ll say no.

I'm curious if the Senior Tour even appeals to him. He seems like someone who wants to be the best, not the best for his age.

But I suppose he will need something to fill his weekends. And there are worse ways to do it.

His motivation appears to be to break Jack's record. I can't see him sticking around for the Old Timers tour.

It's one thing to go through multiple back surgeries to keep your PGA hopes alive, it's a completely different thing to go through future surgeries to compete on the Old Fart tour.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
svennn wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BIKE3 wrote:

Iā€™ll say no.

His motivation appears to be to break Jack's record. I can't see him sticking around for the Old Timers tour.

It's one thing to go through multiple back surgeries to keep your PGA hopes alive, it's a completely different thing to go through future surgeries to compete on the Old Fart tour.

I suspect you may be underestimating or drastically oversimplifying his actual motivation.

Who knows. We'll see in the next year or two as he works through recovery.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
Iā€™m glad heā€™s alive, and relieved for his family. He, also be a whole again.

Eldrick will play again, and will win again. He has demonstrated a level of mental toughness and an ability to work and adapt through other personal, physical, and emotional adversities.
The medical, PT, psychological, attention and rehab that he will be to access will surpass what most, if not all of us have access to... And all of it is a million miles from Hogan had in order to comeback.
We have listened to him talk about pain, focus, determination, and work ethic. This will be another challenge to face. From what he communicates publicly, I do not believe he possesses the ability to leave his legacy here.

I donā€™t see him winning another major. Maybe a regular tour event. Even that is big challenge. Of course heā€™ll have access to best medical care. With 5 back surgeries and now serious leg injuries it may not matter how hard he works. At some point it doesnā€™t matter how hard you work when your body starts failing.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
svennn wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BIKE3 wrote:

Iā€™ll say no.

I suspect you may be underestimating or drastically oversimplifying his actual motivation.

Who knows. We'll see in the next year or two as he works through recovery.

Yup. I could be.

We might also discuss just how demotivating this crash is couple with his recent back surgery.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw in a little never know what almost losing your leg (and life?) does to someoneā€™s motivations. Iā€™ve been to several smaller senior events and itā€™s just a big party for those guys. I donā€™t know how many smaller events Tiger would play, but I can definitely see him enjoying that atmosphere. The biggest question right now, as far as any return is concerned, is what additional damage did he incur to his back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

I don't follow him super closely, but his motivations do seem to have adapted with age. Going from a bred-from-birth-winning-is-everything golf Death Star to someone who enjoys the process a bit more. You can't lose as often as he has over the last decade if you take no pleasure in anything but winning.

Adapting to age and ability is just successful living, not compromise. Arguably his approach to life when younger, while wildly successful on one level, was not one consistent with long-term health and happiness.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 24, 21 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
svennn wrote:

A lot. He was 37 not 45. And he had not had 5 previous back surgeries.

If Tiger thought his back and neck were jacked up from the wreck when the Viking woman tried to kill him after confirming he was a lying POS he hasn't seen anything yet.

His return was iffy before the wreck. Now throw in a destroyed right leg, more soft tissue injuries to his back and neck. A year+ of rehab taking him to 46 years old and he is done.

Father Time is undefeated without the aid of Vikings and SUV's. Throw those in and the odds are stacked against you.
Throw in the depth of field these days compared to when Hogan was playing.

Woods would beat me playing left handed on one leg, but he's not going to win again against the other current pro players.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [6453Texas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that he seems to be safe, I will add: WTF? Two single-vehicle accidents? Get a chauffeur. The guy is a menace behind the wheel. He one of the most important US athletes of the past 30 years, but this is not ok. Especially as cyclists, we should take a stand against such high-profile dangerous drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Now that he seems to be safe, I will add: WTF? Two single-vehicle accidents? Get a chauffeur. The guy is a menace behind the wheel. He one of the most important US athletes of the past 30 years, but this is not ok. Especially as cyclists, we should take a stand against such high-profile dangerous drivers.

are we counting the collision where hes being chased out of the house by an irate Ms Woods wielding a 2-iron. I think we gotta give him a pass on that one:) . On the others , I agree! Brutal driving and threat to public safety
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
ike wrote:

are we counting the collision where hes being chased out of the house by an irate Ms Woods wielding a 2-iron. I think we gotta give him a pass on that one:) . On the others , I agree! Brutal driving and threat to public safety

In fairness, it's been widely reported that this particular stretch of road is known for causing accidents, for people driving faster downhill than they should, etc. Woods doesn't seem to be the only person who has had problems with this stretch of road.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to hear from medical people on prognosis for recovery and rehab before I go on 'record'

It's only the LR, the penalties here for having an opinion aren't severe.

I would have bet that he would never win another major before this accident. He did win in April 2019 but even that was 2 years ago and he has had long bouts of injury/rehab since then, plus his recent back surgery. It was doubtful if he would be even back this year and with the fields seeming to get stronger (Jordan Spieth is playing well again, Dustin Johnson in his prime and the other threats like Rory, Rahm, Koepka, Schaffle etc) he would have to be at his best for 4 rounds.

Assuming this year is gone (it was likely a wash before the accident) he would be 46 at next year's Masters (Jack won at that age) but time is ticking.

After hearing about his leg injury, I bet he will not win a major and about 90% chance that he will never win another PGA event (not counting the Champions Tour).
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hogan probably started smoking about age 10??? So, 27 yrs. of smoking, 1940-50s, food and lifestyle put Hogan miles behind a 21stC recovery. Iā€™ll extrapolate and bet Ben was physiologically in his 5Os at 37yo. Given stories, his mentality was probably similar to Eldrick. Medical tech and access will coincide w Tigerā€™s publicly demonstrated will. He will win again.

How many of you naysayers have ever won a triathlon, or even your AG? Anybody ever won after broken bones in a car wreck? Took 2 yrs., but, yes, I have. Eldrick will go to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
Hogan probably started smoking about age 10??? So, 27 yrs. of smoking, 1940-50s, food and lifestyle put Hogan miles behind a 21stC recovery. Iā€™ll extrapolate and bet Ben was physiologically in his 5Os at 37yo. Given stories, his mentality was probably similar to Eldrick. Medical tech and access will coincide w Tigerā€™s publicly demonstrated will. He will win again.

How many of you naysayers have ever won a triathlon, or even your AG? Anybody ever won after broken bones in a car wreck? Took 2 yrs., but, yes, I have. Eldrick will go to work.

I'd place a large wager on the fact that he'll never win a major again.

The man is a wreck physically, and has lost his edge mentally. He had a streak as the most dominant golfer in history, but that was a really long time ago. The magic he created at Augusta in 2019 was truly one of the coolest things I've seen in sport, but with additional surgeries and injuries, and the ever advancing age, it's highly, highly unlikely that he's ever a serious contender at a major again.

Hopefully you were joking in comparing some worthless AG triathlon win with winning a major in the world of professional golf. That's absurd.

Also, he's been sidelined for several years now with back problems... Do you think they've been holding out on this "medical tech" that's going to magically erase the significant cumulative damage that his body has experienced???
Last edited by: 307trout: Feb 24, 21 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

It's only the LR, the penalties here for having an opinion aren't severe.

I would have bet that he would never win another major before this accident. He did win in April 2019 but even that was 2 years ago and he has had long bouts of injury/rehab since then, plus his recent back surgery. It was doubtful if he would be even back this year and with the fields seeming to get stronger (Jordan Spieth is playing well again, Dustin Johnson in his prime and the other threats like Rory, Rahm, Koepka, Schaffle etc) he would have to be at his best for 4 rounds.

Assuming this year is gone (it was likely a wash before the accident) he would be 46 at next year's Masters (Jack won at that age) but time is ticking.

After hearing about his leg injury, I bet he will not win a major and about 90% chance that he will never win another PGA event (not counting the Champions Tour).

i saw recently that Vegas offering 825-1 futures on Charlie Woods winning a major before age 25 . I'm geussing the current line on pops winning one more is what...500-1?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:

That was always one of his keys to success. Just a bottomless willingness to put in the work. But since his back has caused him issues he can't do that. You can't just power through 5 surgeries on your back. And I would have to see the study that suggests high speed roll over wrecks as aiding recovery from back surgery.

Ben Hogan has been mentioned as an example as someone who came back after serious injury.. 1 win after his age 41 season. Tiger Woods, 3 wins after his age 37 season. Nicklaus - 3 wins after age 40 season. Hell, Phil has held up pretty well, but only 2 wins after age 43 season.

Before the wreck he was hoping to be able to get back to golf-like activities soon. Not win or even play a tournament, but do golf-like things.

If the over/under on wins is 1, I am taking the under. Doesn't mean we know, but if I were a sports betting man, I'd take the under.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not think he would win another major, still don't.

But, I do believe he will use this as motivation, play again, and win another pro event. Not sure he knows any other way.

As an aside, I've been amazed at my father's support of Tiger. My father is from that generation and temperament that just about everything has a slight tinge of racism to it. I certainly thought I'd hear him always support Jack, the 'old school', and some subvert racist rant. But, nope. from day one he's been a huge fan of Tiger and wanted to see him break Jack's record. Pretty sure my father was an 'Arnie's Army' guy and he never liked Jack to begin with. What's more is that he is firmly in the cohort that if Tiger is not in the hunt on Sunday, there is no need to even watch golf.
Quote Reply
Re: TIGER WOODS - car crash [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I am not joking about winning, and a will to recover and compete. Thatā€™s why I asked.
Have you ever won after recovering from trauma car wreck?
Iā€™ll further extend the parameters of the question and ask if youā€™ve ever worked hard have enough to win, and won without suffering trauma?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
No, I am not joking about winning, and a will to recover and compete. Thatā€™s why I asked.
Have you ever won after recovering from trauma car wreck?
Iā€™ll further extend the parameters of the question and ask if youā€™ve ever worked hard have enough to win, and won without suffering trauma?

I'm guessing english is a second language for you so I'll try to answer what I think you are trying to ask.

I don't think the car accident is the limiting factor, it's the 5 back surgeries. Things don't suddenly get better after 5 surgeries, including a fusion. The fusion will lead to adjacent segment degeneration, especially when continuing to pursue explosive athletic movements. He's very likely getting worse, not better with subsequent procedures. The car accident certainly doesn't help that.

The ankle injury is also problematic for high level golf, though the right side injury is certainly preferable to having a left side injury if you had to choose an ankle for a right handed golfer. The femur is not concerning as far as return to sport.

I don't think he's lacked will or talent or desire in the last 10 years but at some point, the body just gives out.

Oh, and as for me, fortunately I haven't had a major car trauma to this point in my life. One rollover accident, unscathed. I did fracture a femur when I was 7, spent six weeks in a body cast, and went on to win 3 NCAA-II national titles in my early 20's but I don't think that counts.
Last edited by: 307trout: Feb 24, 21 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:

Uh, you're serving yourself up as an example for Tiger because you won a recreational catered walk-jog? šŸ˜
Last edited by: trail: Feb 24, 21 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
shady wrote:
ike wrote:

In fairness, it's been widely reported that this particular stretch of road is known for causing accidents, for people driving faster downhill than they should, etc. Woods doesn't seem to be the only person who has had problems with this stretch of road.

I hear you. I am not saying he should serve some long prison stint or anything like that. But, itā€™s his third incident. Many people who have killed or seriously injured cyclists (as one example) could say that the stretch of road has had other incidents. When you lose control to the degree that he did here, itā€™s mostly luck whether or not you kill someone. He was not driving a Miata.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:

I thought the same thing. In the video released of him driving you can see a group of cyclists traveling in the opposite direction. Imagine how many people he could have killed if he hit that group.
The excuse the road is notorious for crashes is not acceptable. There are plenty of people that make that drive with no issues.
Great golfer but sounds like a danger on the road.
Last edited by: rotoraz: Feb 24, 21 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
ike wrote:

And, he was once sponsored by a car company!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
shady wrote:
ike wrote:

I hear you. I am not saying he should serve some long prison stint or anything like that. But, itā€™s his third incident. Many people who have killed or seriously injured cyclists (as one example) could say that the stretch of road has had other incidents. When you lose control to the degree that he did here, itā€™s mostly luck whether or not you kill someone. He was not driving a Miata.

Sure, not making excuses for him.

That said, one incident was him hitting a fire hydrant right outside his house as he was being chased by an angry spouse with a golf club in hand. One was him asleep with the car stopped on the road due to medication interactions. Then this one where he was likely speeding down a curvy road that is known for cars going off the road.

Seems like he's mostly a vehicular menace to himself.

Slowguy

Quote Reply

Prev Next