Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run 116 today for me for 1181 km. Not my best year but got it done. Missed the better part of 2 weeks early on due to injury. Thought I was a no go! All runs outside in our Canadian winters, ending with freezing rain, sleet & slush today. Yesterday saw -21C for run 1 & -1C for run 2. We've had it all & this challenge keeps me out in it. I do all these crazy sports for my love of being outside. Thanks everyone for the company. 59 years young & happy to still be participating! Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

I honestly find it absolutely pointless to do multiple runs in a day just for the contest. Waste of time with showering and laundry. It's downright silly.

I don't see a whole lot wrong with "silly", and there are some really beautiful tracts near me that only have 3-5km of trails; it's fun to hit a couple of them in a day, whereas I generally would go somewhere more spacious to run 10km+. I also do a double pretty much every Saturday anyway; it's not practical for me to run more than 12km or so down to the farmers' market (which I can do almost exclusively on lovely trails along the Grand River), so I go out for another ~6-20km in the afternoon.

My 2020/2021 challenge started in a vicious rain and wind storm, and ended this afternoon with 30mph winds blowing ice pellets in my face as I splashed through endless slush puddles. My prior best was 111 runs; this year my mileage is down, but I hit 116 runs today.

I took 12 days off; every Friday except Christmas Day and New Year's Day. I did 28 double run days but no triples. Every run was outside, most involved snow and ice, and 5 of them were snowshoe runs.

My final weekend of wasted time and extra laundry:

It was snowing just a teensy bit on Saturday morning - our third snowfall of the week.

Grateful for a bit of track on the trail down to the market, but still a bit of a slog.

The sun began to emerge as I came off the trail.

This isn't running, but I thought that Dev and Rolldown might appreciate that I took a shot at what might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - we'd had two weeks of sustained, deep cold, plus about a foot of snow over those three storms. As I ran down along the river I could see that it was completely iced over, and knew it had been for more than a week. My husband and I put a full change of clothes each in the car, and a couple of screwdrivers apiece in our pockets for the worst case scenario, and we went for it.

We didn't make it very far upriver before some animal tracks showed wet in the bottom, and my pole plants were coming up wet; better safe than sorry, so we skied back downriver. My husband peeled off as we passed our entry point at the boat launch ramp, but I skied a little further toward the rail bridge. Only a mile total (so we went and did a bit more than another mile on the close-at-hand trail I'd run that morning as well), but quite a thrill!

Very glad to have stayed dry.

We went for ice cream (because why the heck not?), then dropped off to another trail on the other side of the river - much further upstream - as the sun was setting.

Over the past few years there have been more and more swans in our area, drawn to the open water they need to survive the winter.

I'd never have seen this if not for doing a double.

Some people like candlelight dinners - I don't mind a headlamp-lit snowy shuffle.

Sunday would be my last double for the challenge, so I figured I might as well get the tennis racquets out for an airing. The weather was to turn mild this week so I needed to put the lovely snow to good use while I could!

We went down to a local conservation area that usually hosts a snowshoe race - a true local gem.

Vert may not be real, but this place will take your breath away in more ways than one.

I shot a little video while I was out there, but I'm not sure it'll post correctly, and I don't want to eat people's bandwidth too much - click here if you want to have a look.

I finished up, then met my husband (who had been hiking) back at the car, ditched the snowshoes, and asked if he wanted to head down to the beach to have a look at the frozen lake.

The wind blowing across the snowpack was vicious and I quickly started to get chilled, but I knew what would warm me up again - running around that small island in the distance, around which we'd paddled countless times in summer.

It didn't count for the challenge, and when I got into the untracked snow on the far side (where few ice fishermen had tread) I struggled as it shifted constantly underfoot, but it was neat to run on the ice.

We got a couple of errands out of the way, then popped over to a small tract almost across the street from the grocery store (which we still needed to hit).

I'd brought a dry shirt and gloves, plus a warmer jacket along. I was happy to have them as the last of the daylight faded away.

Some of the trails were nicely packed down; some were...less so.

There were also a couple of times I was really happy to have my headlamp.

Now back to my regularly scheduled hobby jogging.

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

I honestly find it absolutely pointless to do multiple runs in a day just for the contest. Waste of time with showering and laundry. It's downright silly.

This is why I don't post much on ST, and never post on FB. I get sucked in to these silly thread debates :-)

IMO, it was just silly. I don't know why, just how I felt while going through that process of multiple short runs. Nothing more nothing less. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got done a 40in treadmill hill run covering all of 6km but most at 3-15 percent grade

1002km in the bank. I think that was 111 or 112 runs. A lot of days has a 15 min run around xc skiing warmups and then another 30-40 min at night so really lots of doubles in actual life but they only counted for a single in sum for the day on the challenge.

I hope we see each other at some races in Ontario in 55-59 this summer. I believe you turn 55 this year. Great to see guys like you and Herbert redefining what our age group can pull off. Herbert at 2000km over 220 runs with a 4:57 mile race is just amazing. Serious props
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing

Are all of you taking a day off tomorrow or are ya all launching into 365/365?....yeah Mr. purist Synthetic I am talking to YOU!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
I honestly find it absolutely pointless to do multiple runs in a day just for the contest. Waste of time with showering and laundry. It's downright silly. If you're breaking up a scheduled 16-mile long run with an 8 miler in the morning and an 8 miler in the evening same day -- okay.

I did 4 doubles, but they were not done to catch up on missed runs

They were examples of doing one run in the morning to get it done, then the sun came out & things warmed up so I said to myself 'Self. This is too good to waste' and went out again, either at lunchtime or towards the end of my workday

As I stated, they were not done with the porpoise of filling a gap, but they did come in handy

I finished 75/100 and 38/50, so an even split of 3 days on/1 day off, throughout*

*OK, maybe it sometimes was 6/2 or 9/3, but you get the idea

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Feb 23, 21 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
coachjustin wrote:
Done! Finished the 100/100 (started a week-ish early). But I'll probably keep it going just so I can see the official Slowtwitch Training log say 100 runs...that should be Saturday.

Being of the non-runner persuasion (the only reason to run is because it's the last leg of my chosen sport), it was hard to mentally get my head around getting started, but once I did, it was just one foot in front of another, day after day.

not done till monday for the purists....

that being said, who else is on the purist list, 1 "minimum standards" run every day for the 100? not bragging, but dont want to feel like I am doing this alone :)

1. synthetic

2.PomDad. I decided to mix it up this year and try to do one five mile run per day for the 100 days. I had a few days where I went 7 and a few where I went 3, but probably 90+ were 5 mile runs. I've been looking forward to a day off for about 3 weeks now.

Edit: Didn't realize there was a running list... that's what I get for spending too much time on the site's real forum. Also, did all my runs outside, but tried to work around the weather by running in the morning or afternoon. Final climate count was 3 runs in the rain, 1 run in light hail, and 1 run in light snow.
Last edited by: PomDad: Feb 23, 21 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, Slowman,

Thanks for continuing the 100/100; long time reader and first time participant. My final tally - 105 runs, 384 miles, all but one run outdoors. I did miss a few days due to my big brain getting in the way of things; Milwaukee County Parks clears the paths during winter and I waited an appropriate amount of time so I didn't have to plod through deep snow on the paths. I don't carry any device with me when I run besides my watch otherwise I would post some awesome photos of all the nature I witnessed while running - sunrise over Lake Michigan, moonrise over Lake Michigan while sun is setting (wolf moon), snow sculptures, coyotes, wild turkeys, owls, children sledding, ice fishers. The weather was very cooperative with temperatures below freezing most of the time so I didn't have any runs during rain, and no runs at below zero F.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see a whole lot wrong with "silly", and there are"...............

great pics and story, thanks for sharing .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not all quite so simple. There surely some folks who seem to run multiple times just for this 100x100, but is that in fact worse than someone who missed 4 days for some reason and then runs double 4 days in a row to make up the lost runs? What is pure?

There are many reasons to break up runs, and that happens to many folks even without a challenge to pursue. I also break up bike efforts, but not because I need to do a 15 mile ride earlier and an 18 mile ride later for some virtual challenge. It has to do with the time I got, and I try to use the time the best I have. And on the trainer it is easy, I sometimes after a hard run sit on my bike on the Kickr in running shorts and running shoes and just spin easy for 30 minutes or even longer. Would I just go out for a couple short bike rides outside? Maybe not as the effort to get ready is too big. But on the trainer I do not even have to pump up the tires, nor do I need to get fully dressed / style coordinated.

But back to running and this 100x100. Have I added an extra run maybe later in the day just because there was a challenge? Sure, but that is why we have a challenge. Last Wednesday I actually added an extra mile after that 15 minute Zwift Duathlon run, so that hard effort would count, plus I managed a recent PR of 17:33, so thus double bonus. But surely did not split runs just to have more runs.

Now with the 100x100 over in tomorrow's duathlon I will likely just run hard for 15 minutes and then cool down separately.

BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Gosh I hate agreeing with you. I did the purist one run a day for 100 days. But I did a lot of runs in my Nike Next%'s and Endorphin Speeds so I'm a techno-doping cheater purist according to you :p

I honestly find it absolutely pointless to do multiple runs in a day just for the contest. Waste of time with showering and laundry. It's downright silly. If you're breaking up a scheduled 16-mile long run with an 8 miler in the morning and an 8 miler in the evening same day -- okay.

As of right now I'm 31st for distance, but somewhere in the 80's for run count. I'll take distance over count any day (as long as distance is from consistency).
Last edited by: Herbert: Feb 23, 21 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
99 days ago, this year's first 100/100 run pic was in Imperial Beach, CA. Today's pic, Imperial Beach, CA, the Coronado Islands of B.C., Mexico in the background distance.

Did you run everyday or doubled on some?

Regardless I would like to note to everyone, coyote just turned 77 and is still trucking along!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This, my 2nd year, I discovered the challenge a couple days after it started. Over the course of 101 runs I managed to drop my average heart rate for the same pace / route by about 16 beats. I had spent a lot more time on the bike than running prior to the challenge.

This time around I ran a bit fewer miles, about 350 in total. I committed to skipping the treadmill this time which led to some pretty dicey runs in icy, wintery conditions. I also spent a lot of time running in some beautiful snow-covered woods and on snow-covered beaches Even better, did some of those runs by moonlight. Running snow-covered trails at night does nothing for your pace but it sure does a lot for your psyche.

After 101 runs my pace ended up being an exact match to last year - I'll never be a fast runner but I'm pretty happy to maintain sub-9:00s in light of the conditions.

And once again, it re-energized my running fitness and set me on a good path towards racing this summer, if indeed there is any such thing as racing this summer. Thanks to all who organize this.

Last edited by: SJK: Feb 23, 21 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to everyone, especially for those who managed to get in 100 runs.

I've done this challenge for the past few years, and I've never gone in with the thought of managing to make it to 100 runs. More as giving me some incentive to run a few more times than I would otherwise. I thought a bronze medal (70 runs) might be doable this year. I normally shoot for 3-4 runs per week, and the bronze medal was going to require almost five runs per week. Even that was a bit too much for me, but I did get in more runs than I would have otherwise. Thanks for keeping this going. I'll see you next year.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
coyote pelon wrote:
99 days ago, this year's first 100/100 run pic was in Imperial Beach, CA. Today's pic, Imperial Beach, CA, the Coronado Islands of B.C., Mexico in the background distance.

Did you run everyday or doubled on some?

Regardless I would like to note to everyone, coyote just turned 77 and is still trucking along!

Almost a "purist" LOL. I don't even remember exactly what happen, but for some reason I couldn't run one day, so I just had to run 2 times on one day - one time - or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LONG time ST lurker.

I've thought about the 100/100 for a while, but it never quite fit in with my fitness and/or training plan.
This year things worked out as I was consistently running 3 mile short runs in the fall so I joined, and I just made it with my 100th run on day 100!
I'm a committed 6 day/wk runner so used some 3/3 doubles along the way to stay in the game.

The 100/100 was definitely a motivator on those days when I just didn't feel like getting out in the weather, or even worse to me, getting on the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Will run one more run tonight to make it to 222 runs and I already crested 1200 miles earlier today. But I am glad this is over, and tonight I will leave the Kahuna Challenge and that makes you the new leader. Maybe in the late fall I will rejoin it to see where I am, but I now need to focus on various races I have coming up and just do what I need to get ready for them.

Bravo to all 100x100 participants and onwards to all Big Kahuna ones

gah, maybe sync monthly, that way you dont miss the 100 day period for strava sync
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I read something about a giveaway for the finishing athletes? Is this still on and what do I have to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [rvanwijn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rvanwijn wrote:
So I read something about a giveaway for the finishing athletes? Is this still on and what do I have to do?

unfortunately, my efforts came to naught. there is a real ambivalence by the footwear brands toward this community. i don't know why, as this community has been a prime mover in the building of certain trends in footwear. but the failure is mine. i came up short.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [rvanwijn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rvanwijn wrote:

we do this for internet pride. aka nothing
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rvanwijn wrote:

unfortunately, my efforts came to naught. there is a real ambivalence by the footwear brands toward this community. i don't know why, as this community has been a prime mover in the building of certain trends in footwear. but the failure is mine. i came up short.

No problem, I really appreciate your starting/promoting the challenge. It was my first year, and I dug it, marking 116 runs. It inspired my wife to run more than she ever has in the winter. As for piling up the runs, I was definitely, as one person termed it, "filling up the spreadsheet" with multiple runs several days. But in these times of limited racing, it felt good to have some sort of competition. I'm certainly not saying my 390 miles at 9:53 pace were "better" than the person below me who ran farther and faster yet with fewer total runs. Just something to do.

Highlights included while driving Portland to Los Angeles, pulling off the freeway (see below, near Shasta in January) twice to do off-road runs. Happy trails all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rvanwijn wrote:

Just give out a few pats on the back. This is about acquiring physical and mental enhancement not about material wins (gear).

I took 4 days off running after 100 and got back into swimming again now that pools are ope. I have not taken 4 days off running in 2 years. I also finished up 1000km of XC skiing in the 55 days since Jan 2 after 1000km run in 100 days during this week, so I crossed the 1000 mark in both on the same week. This has been a big win from a combo of working on 100/100 and being in lockdown with pools and everything closed up...chasing these personal goal gave me an "event" to focus life on outside of my work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a coach, completing this challenge has also provided me some wisdom and experience to pass on to my athletes. It's also proven/disproven a lot of tri-axioms.

There is no one single silver bullet in this hobby. Even consistency is no single way to get fast.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
As a coach, completing this challenge has also provided me some wisdom and experience to pass on to my athletes. It's also proven/disproven a lot of tri-axioms.

There is no one single silver bullet in this hobby. Even consistency is no single way to get fast.

No, not a single bullet but add another bullet, volume, and those two gave me speed (relative for me). I do almost all my runs around 10:00 min pace. I run nearly every day (every day during the challenge). I started adding running volume back in November and in January I hit a monthly PR for running volume of 310 miles. January 23 I raced a 1/2 marathon. Pretty sure my finishing time was top 5 lifetime (about 35 years a runner). So not much intensity in training but still able to achieve "speed" relative to my abilities. I won't disagree that I may be faster adding intensity but I can say for sure one thing: I didn't get an overuse injury these last high volume months which to me is my most important goal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next