Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [moorsey1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, I'm currently riding a cannondale caad optimo road bike with clip-on aero bars & about to upgrade to Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. Canyon site advises an M with my height of 188/9 cm & inseam of 85 cm. Although with 86cm it's an L..
I just self-measured my cannondale setup, would be great if you could advise on a size/setup for the 8 SL as not sure how it converts:
Road bike frame size 60cm
Pad X = 475
Pad Y = 748
Seat height = 104cm (ground) // 76.8cm (bb)

Dave,
Lots of good info in here, thank you. The magic (speed, comfort, etc) that you will feel from your new position on the Speedmax will come form the overall movement of "forward and down". Your road bike has your hips well behind the bottom bracket and, therefore, your aerobars up and back. The speedmax will have your hips forward more, nearly over the bottom bracket and because of that your aerobar will be down lower and farther forward. That's reflected in the Pad Y/Xs - the current set up (clipons on a road bike) yield Pad Y of 748 and I suspect you're tri Pad Y position is more like 665. The Pad X on the road bike w/ clipons is 475 and I'm sure you'll be more like 512ish.

You should get the Large for sure (the Medium is close but the Large is better).

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ejchet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian

I'm looking at the sizing of the New Canyon Speedmax Disc SLX or CFR. I'm a tall guy and I believe XL looks to fit my stack and reach coordinates ... I'm currently riding a P3C.

Please take a look at my measurements and let me know.

Height: 193cm
Inseam: 92cm
Stack Pad-Y: 670mm
Reach Pad-X: 460mm back of pad, 505mm center of pad
Pad Width: 203mm

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Eric,
Yeah, you're tall but you have long legs and that's the thing that puts you on a Large. You could fit on an XL but the whole bike will be too long, you'll be tucked into it's shortest position with no room to move. Get the Large, the short stem that comes stock should work well.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [djeggert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian.

Thanks so much for offering this to everyone. I'm looking to get a CF 8 disc and was hoping you could help with sizing. Here are my numbers:

Pad X - 484 mm
Pad Y - 682 mm
Height - 177.8 cm
Inseam - 80.3 cm

djeggert,
I think the answer is a Medium with pads pushed forward quite a bit but to be sure... what's your saddle height from center of BB to top of saddle?

Ian
Thanks, Ian.

Saddle height is 784 mm. And for what it's worth, I use shorter cranks - 155 mm.

Thanks again!

djeggert,

Well, I think the Large is better. What's cause you to ride a bigger bike is the Pad Y - you're legs are on the long side so you'd ride a bit high normally but even higher than what I would have guessed. The Medium will work but you'll be on the edge of it (tallest, longest). I think the Large is a better fit.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ericdelgRLS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian! New to the forum here but looking to buy the new Speedmax CF in the non-mint Ult di2 setup and was wondering whether I should get a size small or medium. I have done a bare bones bike fit and took some measurements from my old QR setup that is comfortable for me which I will provide below. Also bought a giant trinity pro 1 from 2016 in a medium but the reach to the pads was too far for me with seat all the way forward and just couldnt get it to fit.

Bike Measurements
front of seat to front of pad ~ 406mm
Seat height from ground ~ 1041.4mm
Pad height from ground ~ 965.2mm
Crank: 165

Body measurements (5'10 with long limbs and short torso)
Torso from waist to top shoulder ~ 460mm
Arms from shoulder to wrist ~ 597mm
Leg inseam~ 812mm

Canyon recommended me a medium but looking at the reach I feel a small would be much better especially with a pre installed 165mm crankset.

ericdelgRLS,
I suspect your Pad Y is roughly 630 and your Pad X is near to 460.

If you were to get the Speedmax CRF or the CF SLX then the only way a Small will fit you is with the long stem and that's not a stock item, it has to be purchased after market. The Medium on that bike will work well and give you room to move the front end up/down, fore/aft incase my guess of your Pad Y/X is a bit off.

If you were to get the Speedmax CF the Medium is still the right size and all the stock bits (stem) that come on that will put you in the sweet spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chitriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

75" tall, 36" inseam.

Thanks!

chitriguy,

Not a lot for me to go on here. Based on your ST Forum handle... have you been to see Ann Barnes? What I'm doing here involves educated guesses, what Ann does, as Chicago's best bike fitter, is precision work.

I'm guessing the Pad Y for an athlete 75" tall with a 36" inseam would be 680ish and the Pad X around 500.

If it's a Speedmax CF then it's a Large and the Pad Y is maxed out at 680 (Pad X of 500 is dead center)

If it's a Speedmax CFR or SLX then it's an XL with the short stem that comes stock

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Tinpuri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I'm looking to buy the Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2
The numbers I have:

height 189cm
inseam 89cm
saddle 81,5cm.
arm length 64cm

Canyon calculator says size L, but it is no longer available. There is size XL in stock, but am I too small for it? :)

Tinpuri,
Yes, the XL should work. I'm saying this 'cuz you're leggy and that's going to keep your Pad Y a bit taller (near to 675). You'll ride on the low end of this bike but not slammed. Your Pad X is probably around 490 and that's near the center of the XL's range. My only concern is a very small one: your seat height at 815 may or may not expose the lower bottle boss on the back of the seat post on the XL - if not it's no big deal, you can mound a hydration system on the saddle rails if you use one back there at all.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
anyone make or know of anybody selling/3d printing elbow pad width extenders. stock SLX is too marrow - need to make wider
thanks in advance

hideano,
Is this for the new 2021 disc brake SLX or the 2020 rim brake SLX?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [DhobiWanKenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Recently received my Disc SLX, and last night used my fit report to get it as close as I can to my numbers until restrictions here allow me to see my fitter.
I have noticed though that I am totally at the limit in terms of reach on the aero bar. The pads still have plenty of reach - they’re still in the middle - but I wouldn’t be able to push them any further forward otherwise my hands would be beyond the aero grips.
I’m a little concerned because my position is fairly conservative since this is my first TT bike, but I don’t seem to have any room for manoeuvre.
Does anyone know a way around this, or if these aero bars will be available for purchase separately?
Thanks

DhobiWanKenobi,
I think I understand the issue.
First and best resolution - there are 2 bolts mid way along the mono extension before the grips split into a Y for your hands. If you loose those - are you able to slide, or telescope, the Y forward more to make the extension longer?

If you've done that and it's maxed out, you might need a longer extension.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [itay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I’m a shorter/smaller rider and the canyon website states they don’t recommend even the small speedmax cf Slx for me. Just checking with you as to your recc’s. Here are my measurements from the last bike fit (which was a while ago granted)
Arm pad reach-bb (to back of pad) 417, arm pad stack bb 585, saddle set back -36. 165 cranks, ism adamo 2 saddle. I’m about 5’6’’ with 30’’ inseam

itay,
If you wanted the new CFR or SLX disc brake bike... the Small should work, you're gonna be slammed almost to the bottom of the Pad Y range (I think it bottoms out at 570) but well within in the middle of the Pad X. I don't know seat height, but I'd like to - is it...683??? Let me know about that.

If you wanted the new CF disc brake bike... now that bike could work in the size small - in terms of the Pad Y/X but you'll be painted into almost the shortest/lowest corner of the bike. Again, I need to know your seat height to be sure of any of this.

LMK, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Bel Bicicletta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,

Arm pad stack from BB: 619mm
Arm pad reach from BB: 399mm
Arm pad reach: 395mm
Frame stack: 493mm

I'm 5'6"

Thanks for your help,

Bel,
I'd like just a bit more to go on to be sure... what's your seat height and your inseam? And which Speedmax are you thinking.. the CFR disc, SLX disc, or CF disc?

LMK, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

My seat height is 700mm
Inseam is 29in

Either the CFR or SLX would be my choice. I was on their website but really couldn't tell the main difference between the two, besides one is with Di2 and other eTAP. Please educate me.

Thank you Sir.
Bel
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian for your help.

I had a fit done by cyclenutnz and my fit is as follows

Pad Stack: 735
Pad Reach: 421
Saddle height: 860

I was a XL shiv for years and the position was comfortable. I am tallish guy with little flexibility!

Cheers
Bedfordvan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Recently received my Disc SLX, and last night used my fit report to get it as close as I can to my numbers until restrictions here allow me to see my fitter.
I have noticed though that I am totally at the limit in terms of reach on the aero bar. The pads still have plenty of reach - they’re still in the middle - but I wouldn’t be able to push them any further forward otherwise my hands would be beyond the aero grips.
I’m a little concerned because my position is fairly conservative since this is my first TT bike, but I don’t seem to have any room for manoeuvre.
Does anyone know a way around this, or if these aero bars will be available for purchase separately?
Thanks

DhobiWanKenobi,
I think I understand the issue.
First and best resolution - there are 2 bolts mid way along the mono extension before the grips split into a Y for your hands. If you loose those - are you able to slide, or telescope, the Y forward more to make the extension longer?

If you've done that and it's maxed out, you might need a longer extension.

Ian,

Thanks for the response!

I do indeed have my extensions maxed out, and I’m now fairly far forward with pad reach also, so I’m slightly worried I might have gone for a frame size too small.

Do you know if the different extension lengths are available to purchase separately?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'll try this again and give you all the details in one email:

Seat Height: 700mm

I'm 5'6", Inseam is 29in.

CFR would be my 1st choice and then SLX.

Thank you for your time and help,
Bel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Howdy Y’all,

Ian Murray here - fit instructor at both the Slowtwitch F.I.S.T. bike fit school and at the Guru Academy.

I’ve created this thread in a Canyon endorsed capacity to help prescribe the proper Speedmax for you: not just the size of bike, but the front-end configuration as well. That means the length of stem, shape of base bar, amount of arm pad pedestal, etc. to make the Canyon you buy the best it can be.

I’m not the one to answer questions about availability, nor do all manner of customer service, handle warranty issues, nor be a suggestion box about colors and whatnot – but I can and will deliver on fit. I’m not the best guy to this by the way. David (cyclenutnz) is better. Dan (slowman) is better too, but both those guys are too damn busy, so the task has fallen to me – and, frankly, I’m stoked. At the 2017 Kona Expo, I did nearly 40 Canyon Speedmax Sizing fits in 2 days and it was a joy.

If you are looking to buy a Canyon Speedmax and you want to make sure you get the right size, touch base right here on this thread. Best practices are for you to post your Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach) and I will prescribe the proper Speedmax for you. If you don’t know your Pad Y & Pad X then let me assist you in identifying those coordinates.

Happy to help, Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am not too good at tech, but here is my info:

height: 5'10" or 179 cm
inseam: 331/2" or 85cm

I think I would be between a 54cm and 56 cm, or a medium.

I have had my bikes fitted in the past but do not know the other two numbers.

Thanks,
Debra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian.

Thank you for all your help. Seat height is 690.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Bel Bicicletta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,

I'm 5'6"

Thanks for your help,
Bel,
I'd like just a bit more to go on to be sure... what's your seat height and your inseam? And which Speedmax are you thinking.. the CFR disc, SLX disc, or CF disc?

LMK, Ian

My seat height is 700mm
Inseam is 29in

Either the CFR or SLX would be my choice. I was on their website but really couldn't tell the main difference between the two, besides one is with Di2 and other eTAP. Please educate me.

Bel,
With a seat height of 700, a Pad Y of 619 and a Pad X of 399 - you could fit on two sizes (very common) the XS and the SM. That's going to become important in a sec....

The CRF is $12k and comes with SRAM Red e-Tap AXS and a dual sided power meter- along with race wheels, etc. there something or other about the carbon fiber layup being different - okay, fine, maybe that explains the weight diff 9.12kg
The SLX is $8k and comes with Shimano Ultegra Di2, single sided power meter, race wheels, etc. 9.38kg

Here's the most important difference to me... the SLX comes in an XS and the CRF only goes down to a size SM. Both bikes will fit you with the short stem (that comes stock) and the mid spacer (that comes stock). The only difference is that that seat height on the small will not allow you to use the bottle cage mount on the small (CRF) but it will let you use it on the XS (SLX) - you may not want/like/use those cage mounts anyway so that point might be moot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [bedfordvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian for your help.

I had a fit done by cyclenutnz and my fit is as follows

Pad Stack: 735
Pad Reach: 421
Saddle height: 860

I was a XL shiv for years and the position was comfortable. I am tallish guy with little flexibility!

Cheers
Bedfordvan

bedfordvan,
Wow, David is so great. Lucky you for getting your fit done there with him! I love that you posted here because when I get numbers from a great fitter I know I can prescribe with confidence...

Okay, so you ride a short and tall position (perfectly fine) and the Shiv was (is) a great bike for you because it will come and meet you where you need to be.

If you did a Canyon Speedmax CRF or SLX you'd need to get a size large - then you'd need to put it in the shortest/tallest position it will go (max out the spacer and pull back the pads on the short/stock stem) and you'd be at 730 (5mm lower than your 735) and 428 (7mm longer than your 721. Those numbers maybe acceptable - 7mm in Pad X means that perhaps the elbow hangs off the end of the pad a touch rather than sitting dead center on the pad - that sort of thing.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank you so very much for the detailed reply! I have been to the Canyon site several times to compare my geometry but I would not have picked up the bottle cage and the single vs dual power meter bits. Thanks again and I really appreciate your knowledge and spending the time to reply.

Best regards,
Bel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm keen on purchasing a Speedmax CF 8.0 and would like some help with the sizing.

we've put my height and inseam measurements into the canyon website and it said LARGE but ive always been XL and maybe more with other bike brands.
i would love your help before i order.

My height is 193cm
inseam 92cm

i don't currently have a TT bike so i'm unsure how to measure X and Y.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Thank you for doing consultations here!

I'm riding an old QR Lucero and recently got a very comfortable fit with:

Stack 63 cm
Reach 44 cm
Height: 182 cm

Other data from the fitter, if it's helpful:

Saddle Height over Crank Center: 71.4 cm
Saddle Setback: -3.3 cm
Drop from Saddle to Armpad Top: -8.3 cm
Nose of Saddle to Back of Pads: 48.1 cm
Saddle Tip to Aerobar End: 82.0 cm
Aerobar Pad Width: 22.0 cm
Aerobar Angle: 6.0 degrees
Saddle Horizontal Tilt: 1.2 degrees
Saddle Model: ISM PN3.1

I'm looking for a new dream bike and new Speedmax CF SLX 8 disk is in the short list.

I assume M should be fine, because my measurements are pretty average?

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

Can someone point me in the right direction on getting spacers for the H30 bar/cockpit? I have the new Speedmax CF disc

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

I am looking at the Speedmax CFR or CF SLX. I am currently riding a Cervelo P5 2013 size 51

Reach: 459.3 mm
Stack: 598.3 mm
Saddle height from BB: 725.7 mm

Height 173 cm
inseam 78 cm

Thanks Gordon
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [matt.pocknell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Do you know if the different extension lengths are available to purchase separately?

A short and simple answer: yes. there are three different extension lengths - the medium comes stock on each bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next