Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the same ones. Have used them four times now. Have about 16 inches on the ground now and more coming on Friday. Problem is, some of the road is clear, some is mixed, and some is nicely packed. They just can;t get it right!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Oldswed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also old and slow and its is a bit cold here but the 100/100 got me going. Have not missed a day yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Looks like I might be done with this year's challenge. Yesterday on an easy 5k treadmill run I felt a little pain in my right foot in the area of a neuroma. It went away and didn't bother me all the rest of the day but this morning, WHAM-O! It came back with a vengeance.

I first had an issue with this last September, got a shot and everything has been fine until yesterday. Time to call the podiatrist.

Got in to see the podiatrist Tuesday morning, xray was negative. He went ahead and shot my foot up and scheduled me for an MRI on 2/15. My foot feels pretty good this morning but I'm holding out at least until tomorrow before testing it on the treadmill. I'm hoping at worst I only miss three days and if things feel normal again I can knock out a few doubles and end with 100 runs on the money.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done!

Can't say that I thought I couldn't do it, but I sure as heck wasn't sure.

Started on Nov. 7, the first day that I tried running after a silly injury.

That's why I'm done early.

Going to keep things rolling for awhile.

In fact, the icing on the cake is going to be on Monday the 15th. Doing a marathon on Zwift.

Speed will be between about 6 - 6. 3 MPH. 1 % incline for the most part.

Run 11 and a half minutes, walk 30 seconds, bathroom break every hour (about 90 seconds).

I hear that it is also a holiday in America.

I plan to start at 7 AM Pacific...… who's in?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went for a run in the snow a little while ago, it was awesome - didn't take any pix though because this part of South Jersey is fairly trashy, even under - what should be - wonderful circumstances. If you run just off the shoulder of the road here, where the plows have come through, you have to deal with rocks and sand and gravel and shoes and hubcaps and needles and frozen roadkill and underwear and beer cans and little airplane bottles of Fireball and all sorts of other shit like that

It's lovely down here, really it is

I'll leave the pix to MistressK & coyote pelon, if that's OK?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Done!
Can't say that I thought I couldn't do it, but I sure as heck wasn't sure.
Started on Nov. 7, the first day that I tried running after a silly injury.
/quote]

Well done. Same here, 100 slow ones are booked in for me, coming off injury.
Tore up my lower leg pretty badly in June, w/zero running since. Turned around enough to limp to the Nov start line.
Like magic, the Achilles inflammation cleared up, then the heel went south, but that slowly got better too.

Need a rest day or 2 & looking forward to working on some pace, doing intervals and getting back on the bike a bit.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morton's Neuroma - 0
Me - 1

I comfortably got 3.1 miles in on the treadmill this morning. I'm 3 runs behind scheduled with 10 days to go. 100/100 is still within sight.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
This gets me to run more, and I’m ok with it being short. As a run coach I am sure you are aware very few triathletes at the beginning of the year, or anytime should or can run 300mi months

From what I remember, this challenge is actually not about distance, but building a consistent base.

I would think that most triathletes would not be running 300 mile months (although some that are elite or former runners doing a marathon prep plan certainly would). Short runs are fine. If someone decided to try and just do the minimum 3 miles every day to see if they could do 100 straight days I think that is a great goal. However, if you spend 100 days and run 2-3 times per day and never run longer than 3 miles, you are chasing spreadsheet numbers and, although your run may improve from the consistency, it would likely have improved a lot more with a well planned base building approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
This gets me to run more, and I’m ok with it being short. As a run coach I am sure you are aware very few triathletes at the beginning of the year, or anytime should or can run 300mi months

From what I remember, this challenge is actually not about distance, but building a consistent base.

I would think that most triathletes would not be running 300 mile months (although some that are elite or former runners doing a marathon prep plan certainly would). Short runs are fine. If someone decided to try and just do the minimum 3 miles every day to see if they could do 100 straight days I think that is a great goal. However, if you spend 100 days and run 2-3 times per day and never run longer than 3 miles, you are chasing spreadsheet numbers and, although your run may improve from the consistency, it would likely have improved a lot more with a well planned base building approach.

To Sbernardi.

The challenge is to build base.

The best way to build base is thru aggregate distance.

Frequency often helps to build base like 5km easy warmup run in the morning and another 12-15km run in the evening.

The above example is more volume than a single 15km run and easier to do , plan, make time and recover from than a single 20km run.

Doing 4x5km run in a day is kind of a stupid way to get the 20km load on a regular basis. Firstly you are losing 1.5km of each of the four runs to warmup pace. Better approach is 1x5km and 1x15km

I just sort the challenge on distance to see who is really building the biggest base. I will hit 100 runs today but my victory will be when I hit 1000km. If I got to 1000km through 110 runs, 100 runs or 80 runs it would be roughly the exact same training load.

If I get to 1000km thru 40 runs doing 25km per run that would be a hard way.

If I get to 1000km through 200 runs that would be stupid because you can see that this 1000km athlete could do it in a better way.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan,

Maybe the question to people in general

Let's take two runners

1200km in 80 runs
800km in 120 runs

Who gained more fitness on this challenge assuming same average speed and same start and finish body mass index.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All-

Its been a long while since I've been around. Frankly, its been just as long since I've run---since I last posted. I simply ran out of gas. The last year has been rather eventful. I think I buried myself in running as a way of coping. After New Year's, I just ran out of reasons to keep running. Mind...all is well, healthwise. I'm just in a serious bit of funk from the isolation that COVID has been.

Congrats to all who have completed this challenge---I see there are lots who are over 100. I'm not even sure where we are in terms of days remaining....it can't be many. I'd envisaged myself being among the top10 this time 'round. I was for a while---but, staying power was not with me this year.

For those who may recall, I passed my 1 year heart-i-versary 2 days ago...my withdrawl from the 2019/2020 100/100 challenge. In my defense....Since that event:

- I've run 2200 miles in 2020
- I ran a 360 mile month in July
- I ran a 95 mile week August
- I ran a 6:00 minute mile in September
- I ran a 20 minute 5k in October
- I ran a 42 minute 10k in November

There's probably a few other milestones...frankly, I broke my of my old-man personal bests, at some point in 2020 post surgery.

I'd had a goal to break 40min for a 10km. Didn't happen. See above. But, life goes on.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a live and well !

I am happy you are ok. When life is tuff I go for a long walk and finish the day
with good food and som wine , this always makes me feel better.

I am old so I will probebly never again go under 20 min. for 5 km ,
still trying and happy with that.
Last summer did 20.52 so maybe next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight I reached 200 runs. Ran 13.5 earlier and 4 miles later, yesterday 11.5 miles earlier and 5.2 miles later.

I am now at 1097 miles and pretty happy with that considering that I ride my bike and swim a decent amount too. But also realize that I am very lucky to be able to dedicate so much time for this.

About a week ago I managed a 4:57 minute mile despite the heavy volume and so my fitness is surely good.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Hi All-

Its been a long while since I've been around. Frankly, its been just as long since I've run---since I last posted. I simply ran out of gas. The last year has been rather eventful. I think I buried myself in running as a way of coping. After New Year's, I just ran out of reasons to keep running. Mind...all is well, healthwise. I'm just in a serious bit of funk from the isolation that COVID has been.

Congrats to all who have completed this challenge---I see there are lots who are over 100. I'm not even sure where we are in terms of days remaining....it can't be many. I'd envisaged myself being among the top10 this time 'round. I was for a while---but, staying power was not with me this year.

For those who may recall, I passed my 1 year heart-i-versary 2 days ago...my withdrawl from the 2019/2020 100/100 challenge. In my defense....Since that event:

- I've run 2200 miles in 2020
- I ran a 360 mile month in July
- I ran a 95 mile week August
- I ran a 6:00 minute mile in September
- I ran a 20 minute 5k in October
- I ran a 42 minute 10k in November

There's probably a few other milestones...frankly, I broke my of my old-man personal bests, at some point in 2020 post surgery.

I'd had a goal to break 40min for a 10km. Didn't happen. See above. But, life goes on.

Wow these are huge achievemenets after a heart surgery. You are set for the future. I was worried about why you kind of dissappeared, but did not reach out (sorry about that).

Hey I totally know what you mean by the isolation. I had a big goal to do a 10,000m IM swim by end of 2020 and we had a pool rental for 4 hrs on 26 Dec (I had a goal pace so it was like a personal race) and that is the exact day our lockdown started and since then I have seen no humans other than my immediate family (better than none at all). I was able to start XC skiing on Jan 2 (just hit 800km in 45 days), but my goal of running sub 22 min 5 km went out the door when lockdown hit. I just lost motivation for many things mainly for the isolation. I am only 73km away from the 1000km goal for 100/100 and I think I can hit 1000km in two months skiing, but my main goal of sub 22 went away with lockdown. I think part of it is the uncertainty of any racing. Also I was getting together 1x per week with one friend to push ourselves on the run front, but with the lockdown and stay at home orders that also went out the window....so its been endless solo base talking to myself which is what Q52020 has turned into (that's how I am calling Q12021 as I wait for the world to get better).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
If it is truly “your run” why the need to be on the list?

So, I talked with my therapist about this last week; re: "What's the point of joining the Challenge and then putting my runs in the tool at all? Couldn't I just do without it?"

A little background ...

Many years ago, when I was actively blogging, I wrote a post about The Age-Old Question"

Are you running to something, or from something?

Quote:
On the way home from work today, I realized that I'm running to as much as I'm running from.

I'm running to:
Friends
Happiness
Inspiration
The future
Peace
Travel/adventure

Conversely, I'm running from:
Anger
Fear
Depression
My past

So those are my motivations for running - you'll see that Race Results or Competition are not mentioned

That being said, what's the point of doing the 100/100?

I'm not training for anything at the moment; not building a base for anything - no REAL races coming up for me until sometime in the Fall, so I'm just doing my derpy little Screaming Tortise events on my own. Running strictly for physical maintenance and mental health

She and I came up with a few things - no particular order

1. It's kinda my thing: I enjoy making up the bibs & posting them on my socials; if I didn't I'd get DMs asking "You doing OK? It's not like you to skip out on one of these"
2. Accountability: making sure I get out there, keeping fit & sane; posting my status publicly, someplace, at least [I don't Strava, unless I have to, sorry], again, to say "I'm OK"
3. Maybe a little bit of competition: but only to do better than I have previously

Those I my reasons as we sorted them out; you have yours; others have theirs. All are personal and have no meaning to nor affect on anyone else. No one's are right or wrong, better or worse than anyone else's. How they do it and how they score it are entirely up to them, and them alone. There are 724 people signed up up for 100/100*; so there are 724 Challenges, NOT just one

One dude's opinion; I could be wrong

* Maybe, in future years, we throw out the "Ranking" column all together, and just sort by name, since people get so butt-hurt about it? #airingofgrievances

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run 104, or 105 today. The May Field Marathon.

Starting in 10 minutes (7;12 AM).

4:18 - here we come????

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:17 and change. The icing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Are there written rules?

I agree. There are rules to this challenge...they are on the first page....you have to take a minimum of one hour between runs. If you do not take an hour between runs, you are not following the rules of the challenge.

It seems some people have decided they do not like the rules and have decided not to follow rules they do not like.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Feb 15, 21 21:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just tearing up in my scotch reading.............it is all about motivation, consistency, building base, getting people to run more. If a 100 in 100 challenge causes someone to run twice the distance they normally would by breaking up runs to climb the leader board as motivation all the power to them, the challenge has done its job, inspired someone to get off the couch and do more! It’s all about individual accomplishments, it’s not the world championships or Olympic gold of 100 day running....Unless Slowman is handing out prizes, then punish all those cheaters;)

First attempt at the 100 here, had some hiccups but have not run constantly in 5 years, the competition has kicked in and looking to get caught up, not dreading running every day. Side benefits, down 20lbs and not drinking too much fine west coast IPAs every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
Are there written rules?

I agree. There are rules to this challenge...they are on the first page....you have to take a minimum of one hour between runs. If you do not take an hour between runs, you are not following the rules of the challenge.

It seems some people have decided they do not like the rules and have decided not to follow rules they do not like.

I was thinking about this while running just a little while ago

The Rule about the hour between, is Rule #10; I'm thinking the people who are not spreading them out far enough read down that far? They're just going by "3 miles/30-minute minimum? Treadmills are OK? I can do that! Sounds like more fun than a C25K thing, at least"

Also, I'm not sure if you cross-checked to see if the people you've "investigated" are posting in this thread? Or even reading it? As I mentioned up there someplace, there's a lot of Lurkers participating. So your protestations are more likely than not falling on deaf ears

It all kinda reminds of a time when I was a kid and we had to do a book report. The teacher clearly said "White lined paper, black ink" When we were handing them in, I noticed one kid did his on a yellow legal pad [Dad was probably a lawyer, and that's what was around the house]. I didn't notice if the ink was black or blue

I started fussing - should've known I had OCD, anxiety issues, and probably other stuff going on then, but that's another story

"You just worry about yourself" she seethed, in that hissy reptilian way Nuns had back then
Then added "Go say five Hail Mary's"

I don't remember now what grade he got, nor whether or not he was hit with a ruler*

* II have my own "nun with a ruler" story, but I'll share that another time, in another thread, whenever it becomes appropriate

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be my issue. Challenges/events/races where the folks around me choose not to follow the rules, seems to take some of the joy out.

Maybe my wife is right. Need therapy. Need to do a Google search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another time, in high school

My cousin went to a very prestigious Private School in Manhattan. Although he was younger than me, he was a bit taller, so I got his hand-me-downs from time-to-time

The first day of school, for gym class, I wore a t-shirt from his school, instead of our school uniform. Our school colors were red & black, and I never really looked good in those red shirts; the blue worked much better

In an odd sort of progressiveness for the time [1978, to be exact] we had mixed gym classes; boys and girls would change in their own locker rooms, of course, but would meet together in the gym or on the field to divide up into teams for whatever sports we were doing that quarter. The gym teachers divided up as well, so when gym class actually started, you would have teams of boys AND girls, being led/coached/refereed by either a man or a woman

Somehow, I was always the short, non-athletic looking boy, on a team of girls with the woman gym teacher - funny how that happens? ;-)

So, on the first day of school, here I am with my navy blue shirt, with a foreign name on it, lining up to play field hockey, I think it was

"Randy? our squads gym teacher asked "Are you out of uniform?"
"Yes, Miss Wilson, sorry. It couldn't be helped"
"I'll let it go, but if I get asked about it, I wrote you up"
"Thank you, Miss Wilson"

So, it went for a while - Out of uniform? check. Gonna write me up? check

Once she asked me "Could you wear a shirt from around here? Someplace in New Jersey at least?" so I borrowed my girlfriend's brother's shirt from the next town over. It was nice dark green

Occasionally, I'd wear a band shirt, if I'd been to a show the night before

Did my "rebellion" lead to a widespread disregard of uniform code? Nope, not really. A few girls would show up in THEIR outside-our-town boyfriend's school shirts, or band shirts as well. A couple of my surf punk friends followed suit, but it was never a big deal, one way or the other, with students or gym teachers

That's just Randy being 'Punk Randy'"

The backstory, is a little different

The truth was, I had lost my official gym uniform shirt sometime over that Summer. We didn't have the money to get a new one, even though it would've been only a one-time expense of $20 or so - things were super-tight with my dad out of work and mom only part-time. What money I was making at the bike store was barely pulling ends together. So, on the first day of school, I grabbed the closest thing to a gym shirt I had and hoped for the best

Thanks to some kind people, it worked out

Whenever I did have the extra $20 to go get a replacement, go "legit" and be in the clear for once, I'd always say "Well, things are going OK so far, let's put this to better use"

In summary, sometimes you never know exactly what's going on when someone "breaks the rules"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
Could be my issue. Challenges/events/races where the folks around me choose not to follow the rules, seems to take some of the joy out.

Maybe my wife is right. Need therapy. Need to do a Google search.

Therapy is no laughing matter, trust me on this

Thank you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To R & Mart.

In my real life, when I am not Hydrosloth, I am also a P.Ed teacher.

So this was a great story for me to read!

Thnx for sharing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So would YOU have written me up?

There's an epilogue, too!!!

When my youngest brother was in high school, one day he wore a race shirt that I'd given him to school, and consequently to gym

Miss Wilson was married by now [not that it has any bearing on our story, but, y'know] It was reported that she said to him "Not this again" and DID write him up ... not for being out of uniform, necessarily, but because the race had been sponsored by a bar and had their logo prominently displayed

Quote Reply

Prev Next