Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Trisuito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sorry Ian, I just found my Retul Test from October 2019 in my actual bike. Look attachement (sorry its in spanish but the arrows in the picture can easy show you the measures)
It looks like the PAD X is 452mm and Pad Y is 640mm. (it looks like I just made some errors measuring myself)
Also mentioning that already bought the New Canyon Speedmax DB in Size S, delivery will be next year, I am in configuration phase with them. But in their system with my 82.7cm inseam and 177cm height it told me to pisck up Size S.
SO what will be your suggestion now?
I am thinking long stem, flat bar, medium extension but waiting for your reply
Also can you help me telling me the size and number of spacers i will need?
Righ now in my bike I am running the Sync ergonomics ecosystem with 15-degree arm cup wedges, so I will like to keep a similar angle with the angle spacer. (Pic of my bike attached)
Thank you very much for your patience and support

Luis,
I'm sorry for the slow response. I'm glad you found the fit sheet and numbers aren't that far off - Pad Y 630-640, that's just a spacer. Pad X 480-452 that's something else. The small will work. You will need the long stem for the small. Flat bar is fine, medium extensions should be fine. I can't be precise on the number of spacers but I can tell you they should be easy to insert.

Keep me posted, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [walfisch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply!
Would a S fit me as well?
Also, assuming that a person is able to fit onto 2 sizes, what would be your advice on which size to get, and why?

Mel,
Lots of folks can fit on two bike sizes and you can too. The small would work and you'd need everything in terms of pedestal to get the pads up to 672. That's pretty much the max pad height for the Small. Sometimes there are arguments to be made for one size over the other. In this case I can't see one having an edge over the other.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BagdadBryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hopefully you can help me with sizing. I'm looking at getting the Speedmax CF 8 DISC eTap when it is available. I don't know my measurements other than height (5'-11") and inseam (33"). I was on an old medium Fuji D6 3.0 a few years ago. I began setting it up myself, I felt like the top tube was a little short for me though. My knees where right at my elbows. I think I could go with a medium or a large on the Canyon?

BagdadBryan,
You've got pretty long legs for your height so I'm gonna put your Pad Y at ~640 and your Pad X ~480. For the new Speedmax CF disc You should get a medium, the large will be a little too tall for you. You'll have room to move to make it perfect.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [vesa-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian!

Looking to buy a new Speedmax CF SLX 8 DISC.
Measurements:
Height: 178 cm
Inseam: 84 cm
Current saddle height: 753 mm
Pad X: 435 (Back of the pad)
Pad Y: 640

Hoping to lower the pads few cms in the future. Is size M ok?

vesa-n,
Yeah, the medium in it's stock form (short stem, mid spacer, medium extension, etc, etc) is perfect for you. You'll even have 40mm to go lower if you like.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [nmurray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
Thank you for your advice! I appreciate the stem advice especially.

So as far as my fit numbers go, again I'm 6'4'" and long legged, 185 or so, relatively fit and flexible for a 40 year old. Have had some lower back pain in past. Finally did PT a year ago, and it helped clear that up. That's the only physical issue that I know of that might have impacted my fit.

Got a dynamic bike fit that seeded to go well. Priority for the fitter seemed to be getting a few body angles to look right. Hindsight seems to suggest I might have asked more about the position we got to. Fitter talked about wanting a position that I'd stay in for racing up to 70.3 distance over aiming for lowest possible position.

I have already gently questioned the fit over email after rereading some of the posts here about fit like the one you mentioned on position orthodoxy. Fitter's initial reporting said I would only fit 2 bikes: canyon xl and Argon 18 E 117 xl (which their shop happens to sell). Fitter didn't think I was that much of an outlier. Has since said a QR PR4/5 would also fit.

I have certainly gotten down some rabbit holes trying to imagine building a bike without knowing what I don't know - things like your advice on stems.

I guess without deciding to try to get refitted, I'm currently looking to choose between a few bikes that can get to my fit but also can be adjusted to go lower (recognizing that I may need to change a stem to get to the former or latter). Please let me know what you think about this path and my fit experience - I really appreciate your work!

nmurray,

There are bikes that are considered "long and low" and some that are thought of as "short and tall". Both bikes can (and have) won World Championships so it's not about anything other than "ease of fit". You need a bike that leans to the short and tall aspect. As an example you could never fit on a 2018 Canyon Speedmax SLX or a Boardman or so many other extremely long low bikes. On the other hand the Specialized Shiv was the shortest/tallest bike on the market for a while you would have been a snap on that bike.

I like the idea of you getting on the new disc brake Speedmax CF - that bike is taller. You'd be on the XL with the stock short stem and the high spacer and you'd be golden, no oddities, no changes. You can see that bike here: https://www.canyon.com/...f/#sections-products mechanical 105 for $3,800......mechanical Ultegra for $4400..... electric shifting for $6k...... electric shift & power meter for $6,500.

Do NOT hesitate to get back to me here with questions (and I'll respond quicker - had my hip replaced needed some time). And don't worry about questions that seem slightly off fit topic - I can go deep into my opinion and recommendations on 105 v Ultegra... Ui2 v eTap. Let me know.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [leonst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I don't have a bike now, but i'am looking to buy a the CF 8.0 Di2.
The numbers i have: height 193cm
inseam 93cm
saddle 82cm.
arm lenght 65cm
Do i fit on a XL? Since the L is no longer available in NL
Thanks!

leonst,
I suspect your Pad Y is around 680 and your Pad X is roughly 510. For the new Speedmax CF you will fit perfectly on the XL and with the 90mm stem that comes stock on that bike. Have at it!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply!
Would a S fit me as well?
Also, assuming that a person is able to fit onto 2 sizes, what would be your advice on which size to get, and why?

Mel,
Lots of folks can fit on two bike sizes and you can too. The small would work and you'd need everything in terms of pedestal to get the pads up to 672. That's pretty much the max pad height for the Small. Sometimes there are arguments to be made for one size over the other. In this case I can't see one having an edge over the other.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply and insight. Appreciate it!

Cheers,
Mel
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Appreciate your customer support around slowtwitch. I’m saving my pennies for the new canyon speedmax. I have attached a retul fit but with the caveat - I found the fit too low on my medium speed concept so swapped out the monoriser to a 25mm from the 15mm one. So stack will be increased 10mm. Also the reach is very short 394? Does that sound dodgy? I feel as though I ride with much more reach than that ?I’m not sure but I ride a medium speed concept with medium far stem and the 25mm riser. I have the mono bars pretty much maxed out all the way out so I actually thought my reach is quite long. I have tried to include a poor (sorry!) pic for some idea. Am I able to replicate this position on the new canyon ? I hear some people it’s a limiter with reach ? Fwiw I’m 178/9cms.... Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, I'm currently riding a cannondale caad optimo road bike with clip-on aero bars & about to upgrade to Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. Canyon site advises an M with my height of 188/9 cm & inseam of 85 cm. Although with 86cm it's an L..
I just self-measured my cannondale setup, would be great if you could advise on a size/setup for the 8 SL as not sure how it converts:
Road bike frame size 60cm
Pad X = 475
Pad Y = 748
Seat height = 104cm (ground) // 76.8cm (bb)

Attached a pic of this setup. Cheers!
Dave
Last edited by: moorsey1: Jan 28, 21 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian

I'm looking at the sizing of the New Canyon Speedmax Disc SLX or CFR. I'm a tall guy and I believe XL looks to fit my stack and reach coordinates ... I'm currently riding a P3C.

Please take a look at my measurements and let me know.

Height: 193cm
Inseam: 92cm
Stack Pad-Y: 670mm
Reach Pad-X: 460mm back of pad, 505mm center of pad
Pad Width: 203mm

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Eric

Eric - "Train Smart, Race Smart, Finish Strong"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

First, hope you're healing well from the hip replacement. Rest up! Second, my previous fit questions were split into several questions/responses, and got "lost" in the forum. So I wanted to re-summarize:

As mentioned previously, I’m fairly certain I fit the "alien build": long legs, long arms, short torso.

Here are some dimensions from my most recent fit:
1) BB to middle top of saddle - 835mm
2) Saddle tip to center of handlebar - 585mm
3) Drop from saddle to pad top - 9.5mm
4) Saddle tip to aerobar tip - 860mm

Also, from my fitting I've got the following additional dimensions re: Pad X/Y:
XY Tool - HB - X = 476 mm, Y = 660 mm
XY Tool - Rail - X = 202 mm, Y = 755 mm

I believe those XY measurement are to the handlebar, whereas I'm most interested in the pad locations (as most of my ride time will be in aero). Given these dimensions (seat height and drop to pad top), with a seat tube angle of 80.5 degrees, I've "back calculated" my arm pad stack to be 814mm (thanks high school trigonometry)! But that seems pretty high.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the best fit, from my calculations, would be a Speedmax CF 8 DISC in Large, with a max armpad stack of 757 mm?

My two biggest concerns are:
(1) Is there an option that will work with the pad drop? Based off my initial review of the geometry chart, I'm going to need all of the spacers to get the max armpad stack of 757mm. Related: are the spacers included with the bike? It’s unclear from Canyon’s website whether spacers are provided or, alternatively, where to purchase them.

(2) Are the aerobars long enough?

I'd love your thoughts. Thanks as always!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [JayTeeHaitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the response. I've got the bike now and had a sprint distance race yesterday with it. I think the setup I have right now is a good starting point, one thing that I noticed is that I think one of my limiting factors seems to be my thoracic mobility, resulting in my need to bend my neck up quite a lot to be able to see further than a few metres in front, not much of a problem in a sprint, probably manageable on a half but I don't think I'd survive a full. I haven't ridden a TT bike for two years or so though, so I might just need a few more k's.
You recommended that I try shorter cranks, by way of happy coincidence, this bike actually has 170mm cranks. I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference had I not looked. I'm a little confused though, you mention shorter cranks to get me lower, I don't fully understand how that works. My thoughts are that to maintain the same leg angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke I'd need to raise my saddle with shorter cranks and this would give me some more space between my leg and torso. Are you meaning lower in terms of pads relative to hips?

JayTeeHaitch,
So glad you got the bike AND that you've been able to race it already (bit envious). It sounds like your "drop" (saddle elevation compared to arm pad elevation) is pretty large. I want to suggest to you that a lower front end is not always faster, in fact it can slow you down. Regardless of that comfort (as in the back of your neck from craning to see down road) and safety are priorities well above and beyond a wee bit of drag. Raise the pads. Do it incrementally because sometimes 5mm can take you from suffering to perfect.

As to the shorter crank question - yes, if you went from 170mm cranks to 160mm cranks you'd raise the saddle 10mm to sustain your current seat height (and knee angle). When I spoke to getting "lower" what I meant was this: long cranks restrict how low your arm pads can be because the hip angle - at the top of the pedal stroke - is too tight. The flesh of your upper leg starts to crash into the flesh of your lower torso. That hip impingement can slow you down - slows cadence as the flesh binds up, power phase of pedal stroke can be delayed, etc.

Here's the thing... your drop already sounds like it's a bit too much because of neck pain. Lift your bars to solve that. Then take note of your hip flexor area at the top of each pedal stroke and see if that free-flowing.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [djeggert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian.

Thanks so much for offering this to everyone. I'm looking to get a CF 8 disc and was hoping you could help with sizing. Here are my numbers:

Pad X - 484 mm
Pad Y - 682 mm
Height - 177.8 cm
Inseam - 80.3 cm

djeggert,
I think the answer is a Medium with pads pushed forward quite a bit but to be sure... what's your saddle height from center of BB to top of saddle?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian.

Thanks so much for offering this to everyone. I'm looking to get a CF 8 disc and was hoping you could help with sizing. Here are my numbers:

Pad X - 484 mm
Pad Y - 682 mm
Height - 177.8 cm
Inseam - 80.3 cm

djeggert,
I think the answer is a Medium with pads pushed forward quite a bit but to be sure... what's your saddle height from center of BB to top of saddle?

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

Saddle height is 784 mm. And for what it's worth, I use shorter cranks - 155 mm.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Shetlander31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Managed to get the stem changed out for 100mm one and gave it a shot today for the first time. Also lowered the seat about 3mm.
Definitely felt immediately less crushed and more natural. I was still finding myself getting pretty fatigued in the triceps, could this be as simple as widening out the elbow pads? I have broad shoulders and am not amazingly flexible ha.

Thanks again for your help

Shetlander31,
So glad you're finding a good spot. In terms of triceps.... rather then going wider (which I think might help rear delt & traps more), consider tilting the aerobars so the shifter ends are up a bit and the pads are down a bit. This should let you rest in a leaning or pushing fashion against the front end a might take some pressure of the triceps holding you in place.

Keep 'em coming, let's find your best spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [AlexB78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
I am looking to buy new 2021 Speedmax CF SLX Di2 disc and I am having challenge which size to get. I am 185cm tall 88 cm inseam (6'1"/34") and Canyon PPS sizing recommends M. I experimented with measures at their site and found out I am close to upper limit, e.g 2cm increase in hight without changing inseam puts me to size L.
I analized CF SLX M geometry and its top tube is 51.9 cm. I have road bike and don't own TT. Friend of mine has Trek TT M size and with his 53cm top tube my head is well over aerobars. and while pedaling i occasionally hit my arms with my elbows (i could move airbags further out to avoid, but they are in optimal position right now)..
I have Retul ZIN report for my road bike, but the bike is too big for me so i don't think it is good reference to use.
Not owning TT bike yet, i don't have X and Y coordinates but still hoping you can provide some guidance or what additional information you would need

Thank you
Alex

Alex,
Based on what you've given me I think you're Pad Y is roughly 648 and your Pad X is about 475. And I think your seat height is 780ish. You can fit on both a Medium and a Large, it's common that a person can fit on 2 different sizes (in some bikes 3 and 4 sizes).

The best bike for you is the Medium but it will only work with the long stem, and it comes stock with short stem. I think you're here in the US so do not buy this size unless Canyon USA can sell you the long "stem" at the time of bike purchase. I'm putting that in quotation marks because the stem is molded into the base bar so it's a one piece cockpit as is all the rage now-a-days in super bikes. So, the best is the medium, long stem, medium extension (that does come stock), and the mid spacer under the aerobars (all the spacers and bolts come with purchase - including wedges to give you tilt).

The second best is the Large and that you can do with the stock, short stem, and the low spacer.

The reason I say the Medium is the best is because you'll be able to utilize water bottle bosses behind the seat post. If you get the Large, one of them will be buried in the frame. This is a pretty small issue because a) none of us have ridden with the bottle on this post yet and it might be too low or some other such thing and b) there tons of options for saddle-rail mounted systems that you can install on the Large.

Get back to me here with more questions when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian! New to the forum here but looking to buy the new Speedmax CF in the non-mint Ult di2 setup and was wondering whether I should get a size small or medium. I have done a bare bones bike fit and took some measurements from my old QR setup that is comfortable for me which I will provide below. Also bought a giant trinity pro 1 from 2016 in a medium but the reach to the pads was too far for me with seat all the way forward and just couldnt get it to fit.

Bike Measurements
front of seat to front of pad ~ 406mm
Seat height from ground ~ 1041.4mm
Pad height from ground ~ 965.2mm
Crank: 165

Body measurements (5'10 with long limbs and short torso)
Torso from waist to top shoulder ~ 460mm
Arms from shoulder to wrist ~ 597mm
Leg inseam~ 812mm

Canyon recommended me a medium but looking at the reach I feel a small would be much better especially with a pre installed 165mm crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chitriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Apologies for the delayed response here! Hopefully you're still able to offer your sage advice.

Correct, seat height is 835mm. I also realized I'd said the drop from saddle to arm pad top was 95mm, it was actually 9.5mm.

Given these dimensions, with a seat tube angle of 80.5 degrees, I've "back calculated" my arm pad stack to be 814mm (thanks high school trigonometry)!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the best fit, from my calculations, would be a Speedmax CF 8 DISC in Large, with a max armpad stack of 757 mm. Also, I looked at the rim brake CF 8.0 Di2, but it seems like the max armpad stack for that one is 714 mm.

From my fitting I've got the following additional dimensions re: Pad X/Y:
XY Tool - HB - X = 476 mm, Y = 660 mm
XY Tool - Rail - X = 202 mm, Y = 755 mm

I believe those XY measurement are to the handlebar, whereas I'm most interested in the pad locations (as most of my ride time will be in aero).

Hope this helps, thanks as always for your advice!

Chrtriguy,
I gotta have three numbers to prescribe:
  1. Seat Height
  2. Pad Y
  3. Pad X.
You've given me seat height at 835. Pad Y at 814, but I still need Pad X

I'm able to predict your Pad Y (I trust your math and it'll be fun to confirm it) and Pad X if you can tell me how tall you are and what your inseam is - give me that in feet/in or cm or mm. I can do it from there. And I'm happy to prescribe BOTH at CF disc brake Speedmax and a CF rim brake Speedmax.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

75" tall, 36" inseam.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,
I'm looking to buy the Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2
The numbers I have:

height 189cm
inseam 89cm
saddle 81,5cm.
arm length 64cm

Canyon calculator says size L, but it is no longer available. There is size XL in stock, but am I too small for it? :)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone make or know of anybody selling/3d printing elbow pad width extenders. stock SLX is too marrow - need to make wider
thanks in advance

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently received my Disc SLX, and last night used my fit report to get it as close as I can to my numbers until restrictions here allow me to see my fitter.

I have noticed though that I am totally at the limit in terms of reach on the aero bar. The pads still have plenty of reach - they’re still in the middle - but I wouldn’t be able to push them any further forward otherwise my hands would be beyond the aero grips.

I’m a little concerned because my position is fairly conservative since this is my first TT bike, but I don’t seem to have any room for manoeuvre.

Does anyone know a way around this, or if these aero bars will be available for purchase separately?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey

Are you still advising on size for speedmax. I’m a shorter/smaller rider and the canyon website states they don’t recommend even the small speedmax cf Slx for me. Just checking with you as to your recc’s. Here are my measurements from the last bike fit (which was a while ago granted)
Arm pad reach-bb (to back of pad) 417, arm pad stack bb 585, saddle set back -36. 165 cranks, ism adamo 2 saddle. I’m about 5’6’’ with 30’’ inseam
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

Arm pad stack from BB: 619mm
Arm pad reach from BB: 399mm
Arm pad reach: 395mm
Frame stack: 493mm

I'm 5'6"

Thanks for your help,
Bel
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Appreciate your customer support around slowtwitch. I’m saving my pennies for the new canyon speedmax. I have attached a retul fit but with the caveat - I found the fit too low on my medium speed concept so swapped out the monoriser to a 25mm from the 15mm one. So stack will be increased 10mm. Also the reach is very short 394? Does that sound dodgy? I feel as though I ride with much more reach than that ?I’m not sure but I ride a medium speed concept with medium far stem and the 25mm riser. I have the mono bars pretty much maxed out all the way out so I actually thought my reach is quite long. I have tried to include a poor (sorry!) pic for some idea. Am I able to replicate this position on the new canyon ? I hear some people it’s a limiter with reach ? Fwiw I’m 178/9cms.... Thanks

IamSpartucus,
They Retul fit sheet can be easily confused - the Pad X (Pad Reach) is really listed as 413 (not 394) and I think THAT is too short. I'd expect you to be more like 450+ if your 178/9 height is built with longer legs than your average human. The Pad Y of 629 (619 + the new monoriser) seems right on the money to me - based on morphology.

If you got the new Speedmax CFR or the CF SLX then you could do it on either the Medium or the small but I like the Medium a bit better for this. Your 629 is dead center the Pad X could range from 410-460 with the short stem (and out to 483 with the long).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next