Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This gets me to run more, and I’m ok with it being short. As a run coach I am sure you are aware very few triathletes at the beginning of the year, or anytime should or can run 300mi months

From what I remember, this challenge is actually not about distance, but building a consistent base.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
But that’s not the “spirit” of this challenge. People are literally stopping at 3mi. Then starting again. I just don’t get it.

Well, they clearly have their own reasons for doing it that way, which they don't really need to explain to you

I'm still kinda confused by your use of the word "cheating"

Cheating, implies gaining an unfair advantage over a competitor, but since the 100/100 [or 50/50, for that matter] is NOT a competition per as, and the "leaderboard" is just used to compare where you are vs other participants, and no one is having any awards taken away by how one person does their runs vs another might

That's just one dude's opinion - you can put me on Ignore now, thank you

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there written rules?

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I only really have time for singles and have done maybe 3-4 doubles this whole time. A few of the other ones were warm up/cool downs from time trials. I think single provide better training up to 70-80 mpw.

Hit 100 miles on 7 runs last week with one good speed session. Two weeks ago I felt like trash and was ready to call it after a 50 mile week. Running is weird.

If you are bored, follow me at https://www.strava.com/athletes/389874

speedySTATES
Last edited by: fartleker: Feb 1, 21 4:16
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts for what they are worth:

I am mid 40s and only discovered triathlon in 2019. I was looking forward to the 2020 season but virtually every event was cancelled (UK based). I stumbled across this site in the middle of the year and really looked forward to the challenge as a motivator to run over the winter. I only just made the start due to date being brought forward (and an injury) but the challenge has really motivated me to keep going over winter.
I really want to complete the 100 in 100 and see it as a personal challenge, not any form of competition (my pace prob gives that away).

It is still dark when I start work and dark when I finish so running outdoors is difficult for me during the week. Add in UK weather and TBH I just wouldn't bother if I wasn't lucky enough to own a treadmill and work from home. I find 30-40 min fits in nicely between work calls. If I am doing multiple runs in a day, I ensure at least an hour between as that's what the rules state. I do try and do longer runs, outdoors at the weekend, but that is because I enjoy it and nothing to do with this challenge.

I see this as a personal challenge, nothing more. It has motivated me to do many more runs that I otherwise would do, in time, distance and number of runs. I am enjoying the challenge and follow the thread but never bother to check on others performance. I am in competition with myself from last year and not anyone else. Luckily for me, that is an opponent I can beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Grizgal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is why we have the purist 100/100 - a run every day, for 100 days. I supposed to skirt the cheap glory seekers would be to have the main page sort by those who are at current # day to be at the top of the list, but no particular ordering. So if today is day 76, all those with 76 or more runs would appear at the top but a RAND() be done on these folks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
... but a RAND() be done on these folks :)

Wait? What did I do?

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contra, the first post:

Accumulated Wisdom: This is year-14 of this Challenge. Much has been learned, good and bad.

- This is an exercise in who can whisper the loudest.
- Don't try to bank run sessions early. Just trust the process. You'll probably be more successful "banking" runs, as in, performing double runs, later in the Challenge rather than earlier.
- Take days off when you need to. As your fitness increases, you may find later in the Challenge you can run doubles. Most who hit their 100/100 do take rest days.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
herbert now biting at me in the big kahuna challenge
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now, I am the Lanterne Rouge of Medal Eligible participants

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm holding steady in or near the top-10 for those on pace for 100.

Zwift and the treadmill have really allowed me to keep a steady daily diet of running.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run multiple times a day as that has to do with windows of opportunity, not so much with trying to spit runs into more countable units. I am getting read for several long distance events and I also try to keep cycling and swimming. I currently sit in 3rd place with 170 runs and 925.79 miles total. In the top 10 of runners there are 4 who have mileage in the 612 to 684 miles range, everyone else has well less including the person in second place with 175 runs in 397 miles.

But we all have different goals, priorities and varying amounts of time.

I have well more runs than last year, so I am happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And this weekend if someone up for a hot mile, I will attempted a sub 5 minute mile on Zwift in a meetup with a bunch of other folks. It will be at 11am EST and we start warmed up already with a mellow mile with a couple bursts, then push full gas on that second mile and cruise it out for another at the end. If you want to join you need to follow me on Zwift so I can invite you
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who enters all their workouts manually I can tell you that you have to actively go in and put accurate times in for your runs or it could look like your runs are starting one min after the previous one. I am in this challenge for myself and had not looked at anyone’s workouts but when I read this over the weekend I was thinking that’s what was happening. I looked at one person randomly (ahead of me on the list) and that does appear to be what they are doing - running multiple runs per day but manually entering them at one time and not changing the time (even though they note when the run was in the notes section).

I run multiple times per day (many days) for multiple reasons - at first it was because I was really out of shape and needed to break up the runs and during the week it’s easier to fit multiple shorter runs in my work schedule. I have done this challenge multiple years and always finished over 100 but this will be my highest number - I think it would be even if I stopped today. I’m pretty happy with my progress and have kept up the multiple runs because the results, with weekly mileage going up and my average pace going down (from really slow to less slow).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty happy (and lucky) that I am able to train a bunch, and am fully aware that not all folks are able to do that. So kudos to those who have very hard work days and still get many runs and other workouts in.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was chicken-shit on this challenge, so I did not sign up.

I started early as well, thinking if I failed, it would go under the radar.

Here comes run # 91 =)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome

Hydrosloth wrote:

Here comes run # 91 =)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [WIAlan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WIAlan wrote:
Welp, I am now out of the 100/100 running. Was a few days behind but those were fixable with a couple of doubles.

Now I just got a nasty looking cellulitis infection in my leg. Missed a couple of days as we figured out the issue. Gonna take a couple of more days off running to let the antibiotics take hold. Targeting 90/100 for now.

Better consistency than I have had in the past so I am not complaining.

ars

I used to get some weird cellulitis infections/ rashes during six straight years of constant business travel. Haven't travelled in 2 years 4 months and no more cellulitis. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
But that’s not the “spirit” of this challenge. People are literally stopping at 3mi. Then starting again. I just don’t get it.

There needs to be a filter on the training site that takes those runs out. Can’t imagine it’s hard to take the time finished and add 60min to count.

These are the same people that exploit the sticky watts in Zwift. They pedal really fast/hard for :05 seconds then coast and stop pedaling while the screen still shows watts. As soon as the watts stopping "sticking" they do it again. They're power profile looks like a saw. But it no longer bothers me because "to thy own self be true".
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

There needs to be a filter on the training site that takes those runs out. Can’t imagine it’s hard to take the time finished and add 60min to count.

These are the same people that exploit the sticky watts in Zwift. They pedal really fast/hard for :05 seconds then coast and stop pedaling while the screen still shows watts. As soon as the watts stopping "sticking" they do it again. They're power profile looks like a saw. But it no longer bothers me because "to thy own self be true".

sounds like that would trash me hard and would not benefit me. im not an interval guy just steady state
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

sounds like that would trash me hard and would not benefit me. im not an interval guy just steady state

Yeah, people have noted you actually develop a weird type of fitness to cheat this way. The entire realm of cheating is bizarre all unto itself. I genuinely feel bad for people that feel the need to blatantly cheat in order to gain acceptance and attention. When you peel away the layers and boil down the psyche of many blatant cheaters it stems from inferiority complexes and fear based decision making. BUT ... I can only control me. I can only be a positive role model. And from my life experience, I've genuinely found that 99%+ of people are forthright and honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:

Here comes run # 91 =)

well done!

the good news is that you can still sign up-technically...and strava will sync activities for the last several months...get your medal!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strava??

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
strava??

sorry-I have a Garmin 935 which automatically syncs my Garmin activities via Bluetooth with Strava (and also with Training Peaks, Beginner Triathlete as well as ST...) and I know when I 'connect' with strava, it offers to upload to the ST Training Log. I can choose to upload activities for up to the prior year, so if you had strava...you could join the 100/100 challenge quite easily, even late.

otherwise, you can 'join challenge' and upload the activities individually-still not too late!

I'm at only 69 due to lots of missed days from work-but pretty sure I'll make a medal this year--woo hoo!
Some seriously good running this year. 26 people already at/over 100-wow. Impressive numbers at the top too and many with
superb mileage.

Kudos!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - that sounds like some pretty slick technology. I've been tracking my runs by stopwatch or by an old Garmin (310xt) or on the treadmill, so I'll have to give that a try for the next one. Thanks for the info !

Quote Reply

Prev Next