Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mavic Mectronic shifting system ?
Quote | Reply
Any experience with Mavic Mectronic ? I have an option to buy a used set. Seems very nice, and makes it much easier for me when "retrofitting" my road bike (shift stem, mount aerobar, seat forward...) for triathlons since I don't need to change any cabeling to mount the shifter on aerobar.

Did Mavic stop producing them because of technical problems, lack of stability ? - or just because they didn't sell enough items ?
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Mectronic shifting system ? [ajo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was probably a combination of all three. Mavic were slow getting the units out, the reliability was not there, and the units were exhorbitantly expensive. $600 for a rear mech is an awful lot when you can get the top-line Campy unit for roughly 1/3, and the top Dura Ace unit for roughly 1/6, and both are very dependable. I would have paid $300 for a Mektronic unit with buttons, but no more than that. The rest of the SST gruppo was actually pretty good stuff.

That being said, I would avoid the Mavic Mektronic like the plague. The reliability issues are suspect, as I have heard of them never getting out of one gear combination despite replacing batteries, etc. It's a shame because it is a great concpet. Maybe if Mavic were to pour a little more R&D into it, it could be good. The Zap was a bit more reliable, in my opinion, despite the fact that it was not very reliable, either.

Nothing beats a cable to shift your gears, in the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got two sets last year from MAvic to try.

Pros:

It works very well, installation is fairly easy. No problems in the rain. shifting is accurate.

Ergonomics are great, very comfortable and aerodynamic (UCI illegal version) and of course you have multipe hand positions

each allowing you to shift.

Cons:

I am not using it any longer. My biggest fear is, that the system fails, while I am racing somewhere away from home and the LBS does not have parts, and nobody knows how to fix it.

Make sure the angle of the computer is set correctly otherwise the signal does not transmit.

Overall the levers feel a bit cheap, no springs in the break lever return, etc. especially if you are used to dura ace or Record.

If you are still interested I would sell you my almost new set. Contact me directly

Aredemann@aol.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do have an opinion on Mektronic. I thought is was relatively poor to quite poor compared to the mechanical systems that are available. The shifting performance was erratic and somewhat unreliable and the system seemed sensitive to environmental factors such as rain, snow and cold. I was very disappointed in it. We did not and do not recommend it. Campagnolo is currently working on a new electro-mechanical transmission system which may be available as early as 2004 or 2005. Based on intelligence including photos it is substantially different than Mektronic. To me, electro-mechanical systems do not offer substantial promise over current cable actuated, mechanical systems at this time. It is inevitable that this will change but the transition may be filled with failed attempts such as Mektronic.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Mectronic shifting system ? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure Zap and Mechtronic were not all that grand - but remember the good old Mavic cranks, BB and the best headset ever made (I still think that the Mavic was nicer than the Chris King headsets)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen people use them. They work, but can fail. Being electronic, if they break in a race, you are screwed. However, if your cable snaps in a race on a regular set, you are screwed. The front derailler shifter is cable, not indexed, and cheesy.

The upside to a triathlete is the extra shifter button you can mount on your aerobars, which I really like because I would never give up STI type levers for bar end shifting. I also like the extra "bit" that turns in on the levers.

If I can ever get a set real cheap on ebay, I will probably pick them up and use them.

The Mavic brake calipers rock!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Mavic Mectronic shifting system ? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - all of you.

Based upon your input I've decided not to buy it - I just can't afford a technical failure in my only Hawaii qualifing race this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I can tell, people who are familiar with the old Mavic Zap, and then Mektronics, probably were more adept at setting them up. I have a guy that owns a shop here in So.Cal who still thinks they are the greatest thing. After he reconfigured mine, it worked like a dream. Smoothest shifting I've ever felt. Multiple hand positions, and eventually when I went to the "rabbit ears" configuration (which simply put 2 buttons on the right pursuit bar, 2 buttons on the right aerobar, and then an index shifter on the left pursuit bar), it was quite a slick deal.

However, there were problems as mentioned about angle of computer, losing signal, and worse off...what if something went wrong in the middle of an IM? You would essentially be stuck in that gear for the entire ride. I saw 2 guys with them on their C'dales get stuck during century rides (different rides).

I truly loved the idea, and the feel, but just wasn't secure in the technology. Hopefully, someday it will come around, and then add it to that automatic shifting thing Bunnyman put on his bike (to do away with the left index shifter), and you've got a slick tt machine...

...someday...

Until then, I need to know I won't be stuck riding in the same gear ;-)

~ Craig

P.S. - although I still have both the left and right hand shifters, if anyone wants to buy them CHEAP. No derailer, but if you can find one, I'd definitely give you a deal - cuz who throws out stuff in the "parts" box? ;-)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply