Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. However we suspect peak aero *because* the performance of many of the top bikes begin to converge, indicating that designs and aero impacts are well understood and asymtoping.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We assume peak aero because the fastest bikes are converging. If that meant that now it is easier to make a fast bike because you can check off a list of known aero features, you wouldn't have so many drastically different design elements.

- Some down tubes hug the front wheel (most bikes), others have a huge gap (Scott)
- Some seat tubes hug the rear wheel (most), some have a gap (Shiv TT), and some have none (beams)
- Some use full foils, some truncate
- Some use deep sections, some not
- And on and on

I'm not claiming the Shiv is slow, because we don't know. But the fact that older Cervelo, Felt, and Trek bikes are still fast, doesn't mean that newer bikes can't be slow.

Granted, "slow" does deserve some context. It is reasonable to assume that the difference between the fastest and slowest modern bike by the big brands is far smaller than the difference between the slowest and a round-tube bike. But for $X,000 and especially $1X,000 I wouldn't want to have something slow relative to its peers.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Jan 14, 21 22:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given we don't know, i'm generally inclined to trust that specialized makes a good bike based on previous pedigree. The shiv tt, the transition, the first gen shiv tri, the venge, and the sl7 are all good aero bikes to the best of my knowledge, or at least were all good relative to other offerings when they were released. The current shiv tri is kinda meh to me, and I cant see myself buying one, but I also have no doubt that its fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
We assume peak aero because the fastest bikes are converging. If that meant that now it is easier to make a fast bike because you can check off a list of known aero features, you wouldn't have so many drastically different design elements.

- Some down tubes hug the front wheel (most bikes), others have a huge gap (Scott)
- Some seat tubes hug the rear wheel (most), some have a gap (Shiv TT), and some have none (beams)
- Some use full foils, some truncate
- Some use deep sections, some not
- And on and on

I'm not claiming the Shiv is slow, because we don't know. But the fact that older Cervelo, Felt, and Trek bikes are still fast, doesn't mean that newer bikes can't be slow.

Granted, "slow" does deserve some context. It is reasonable to assume that the difference between the fastest and slowest modern bike by the big brands is far smaller than the difference between the slowest and a round-tube bike. But for $X,000 and especially $1X,000 I wouldn't want to have something slow relative to its peers.

I'm a long time Specialized fan and have owned more of their bikes then any other brand. I generally look to them first before looking elsewhere.

However, I've tried to talk myself into the new Shiv Tri a couple of times now but chosen not to. The reasons were:

1) Specializeds clear efforts to not show how aero (or not) it is when compared to their previous models. They have their own wind tunnel so clearly know this information but have chosen to hide this from customers.

2) Secondly, the base bar hinge region has had the needs for travel prioritised over that of aerodynamic optimisation. Not all of us need to fly with our race bikes and I'd much rather they offered a bar that was a well sorted as Cervelo's than to produce what it, frankly a massive frontal area - purely to incorporate the hinges and benefit a situation many of us will never encounter.

3) The 'optimised for Kona' yaw thing is not ideal bearing in mind many of us race elsewhere and in different conditions. I'm not sure who needs a bike tailored for a yaw that high. It's entirely possible that it is equally good at lower yaws compared to its competition but they haven't shared the evidence of that (see 1).

I really feel Specializeds always high quality products are losing sales because of poor engagement or understanding with their customer base.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
BayDad wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
I can assure you there is no new SC coming this season, probably not ever.....

Jeroen
Haha and I can assure you there is a new SC coming. Whether it’s called that still is another matter, but there is a new TT bike coming from Trek.

I'm sure you can't spill any details, but can you share when you think the new trek TT is coming?

He can't spill details or dates because there are none available. There are none available because nothing is coming.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
BayDad wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:
I can assure you there is no new SC coming this season, probably not ever.....

Jeroen
Haha and I can assure you there is a new SC coming. Whether it’s called that still is another matter, but there is a new TT bike coming from Trek.

I'm sure you can't spill any details, but can you share when you think the new trek TT is coming?

He can't spill details or dates because there are none available. There are none available because nothing is coming.

Ordinarily, anything new for 2021 would have been announced months ago, to build hype, allow dealers to get in pre-orders, etc.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
BayDad wrote:
Hopefully Lucy isn’t on a Canyon. Trek/Scott or even better Cervelo please..!.!

I haven't kept up with this whole thread, but I'm fairly certain no one has yet named the bike I believe she'll be riding. Though, mine is just an educated/informed guess. Not completely sure the deal went through.

I saw an instagram pic of Reece riding a Giant in Dubai last week - so that's my pick...both Reece and Lucy are on Giant's this year.
Last edited by: Kickr: Jan 15, 21 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her “coming soon” announcement on Instagram... the lighting tells you but you have to think a bit outside the box. Think cycling and not triathlon.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
I really feel Specializeds always high quality products are losing sales because of poor engagement or understanding with their customer base.

Well, they just sold in a few months what they normally sell in a year, so I think they’ll be okay. The only problem any company is having with sales right now is they have nothing to sell.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Colnago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think outside the box? Hmmmm!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Zuckerzeit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did everyone see what Slowman had posted and then apparently quickly deleted without a trace? I wonder if he really knows and spilled the beans prematurely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pinarello?!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
Did everyone see what Slowman had posted and then apparently quickly deleted without a trace? I wonder if he really knows and spilled the beans prematurely.

i may have been a victim of fake news.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red makes me think BMC or Pinarello.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red makes me think of Wilier.

Edit, or Bottechia.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 15, 21 16:40
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or they kept it very well hidden :-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next hint, but maybe not the last...

It's a brand that's not synonymous with Triathlon, but it does have a presence in the sport.

I have to admit I'm having fun with this, though keep in mind I'm not completely sure. I will say I'm more confident today than I was yesterday. Pretty sure the deal got done.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Next hint, but maybe not the last...

It's a brand that's not synonymous with Triathlon, but it does have a presence in the sport.

I have to admit I'm having fun with this, though keep in mind I'm not completely sure. I will say I'm more confident today than I was yesterday. Pretty sure the deal got done.
It's certainly either BMC or Pinarello then. Bmc seems less likely as it looks like they out most of their money into the BMC Tri Team.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pinarello would be interesting. Maybe ineos will pull her onto their team. Lucy and Cam would be quite the duo for ineos' start in triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale dipping into tri again? Or maybe factor?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you all will know monday. if you know, please keep it to yourself.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know what bike brand it is. But I do know that I hate hype marketing, teaser posts, talking about on a certain day an exciting announcement will be made. I blame Apple for creating this culture

But I get hyping things up gets more people talking, allows for more social media posts that leads to more clicks, yada yada yada. I guess I’m just an old at heart curmudgeon that doesn’t use social media and just like boring old press releases

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just throwing my guesses out there and that I agree Pinarello is a good pick. But two other brands that come to my mind and would find very interesting are Cube and quite possibly Merida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
UK Gearmuncher wrote:

Well, they just sold in a few months what they normally sell in a year, so I think they’ll be okay. The only problem any company is having with sales right now is they have nothing to sell.

I wouldn’t use the last year to judge how good a product is - everyone’s inventory has pretty much gone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next