Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

indoor running
Quote | Reply
which do you prefer when you have to workout inside
[I live on a mountain top ridge and the trails are too muddy and with the dimwits on the road thats out]

an elliptical trainer or a treadmill

ok so I just got done with a 30 minute stint on the elliptical [ w adjustable ramp angle had it set 2 min at 9 and 2 at 17 (ramp angle) ] and I have used the treadmill at the gym. my joints prefer the elliptical but I'm torn as to which gives you a better leg workout.

your thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: indoor running [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done alot of training on a treadmill, I think its better than any other gym equipment if you're looking for a real workout.

You can do interval work, knowing exactly the time and distance of each interval, which helped me to plan specific workouts.

David
Quote Reply
Re: indoor running [dav_ros] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intervals on the treadmill are tough, considering most of them top out at 6min/mile pace. That said, they don't teach you to run fast, they teach you to hop fast. Treadmill running involves slot more vertical movement than regular running, so outdoor running ot indoor track running (which is hard on the joints and also sucks) are better alternatives.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: indoor running [Tommy Nelson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For general fitness this is a good question but to improve running performance the treadmill is the answer. Treadmill running has proven to improve outdoor running ability. For example Chris Clark from Alaska won the 2000 woman's marathon Olympic Trials after doing almost all of her training on a treadmill.

The problem with treadmill running is that it is incredibly boring to do long distance. But I find the time flies doing intervals. As the previous writer said you can set the exact speed and incline and monitor performance. This is a problem if you just want to build endurance in the winter.

Several years ago I took minutes off of my 5K time after following a treadmill workout schedule from Owen Anderson that is in a back issue of Running Reseach News.

www.rrnews.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all Eric - you're only HOW far from a ton of awesome running trails and tracks around the Bay Area?? LOL... ok... about the question...

I own both but never use the elliptical anymore. Treadmill - boring as it is - is still the way to go. (unless of course you are nursing an injury in which case the zero impact elliptical is a good choice). But assuming you're healthy, go for the treadmill. Reason being the eliptical does nothing to reinforce muscle memory and focus on running form. Treadmill makes you focus on form. I disagree with a previous poster that treadmills are good for intervals. But they are great for ensuring good turnover.
Quote Reply
Re: indoor running [Mike A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only can treadmills be good for intervals but also for hill workouts

The more you mix it up , the more challenging, productive and fun.
Last edited by: michaelg: Jan 30, 03 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: indoor running [Mike A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the trails start 100 ft out my front door anything else is 15-20 miles away. I'm jonesing for Daylight savings time and after work trail runs.

Wonder where I can fit a treadmill? I already have a Hoist Gym, Precor elliptical, 2 windtrainers and a nordic trac in the home gym.

anybody have a recomendation on a fold up unit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get good use out of a treadmill, I think you need a really good one. Unless you have the $5000 or more, I'd join a gym.
Quote Reply
Try used treadmills [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a slightly used Pacemaster Pro for $1,000. It is as good as most gym treadmills. Check the classifieds, fitness stores, and "Play it again Sports" if you have one in your area. As to the storage problem, I feel your pain. Perhaps you can put a plant on it : )
Quote Reply
Re: indoor running [michaelg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do belong to one it's just that the closest is 25 miles away [I literally live in the boonies on the top ridge of the Santa Cruz Mountains]

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Try used treadmills [Tom in AL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is where your goals and abilties come into play. The Pacmaster Pro has a max speed of 11 mph. A top of the line unit has a top speed of 15 mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Try used treadmills [michaelg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have a pacemaster pro and love it. It is as stable as the cybex high end unit at the gym even on a 12% grade. although it has a top end speed limit it is fine for nearly all of the work that I want to do on it. I can wait for the summer before I start fast intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Try used treadmills [logan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside is always better. With the heat wave we're having today, it just hit 33, I'm going outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Reebok treadmill that is pretty good (RBX 525 maybe?). Pretty high horsepower, good size running surface, max speed of 12mph and a max incline of 10%. I have been running on it for over a year and have had no problems with it at all - bought it at oshmans.com on closeout for $999 including shipping, list was $1699.

One great thing about this treadmill is the iFit compatibility. I have a program that lets me create custom workouts, put them to music, then burn them to a CD. The treadmill has a minijack input, so all I need is a splitter from my CD player - one side goes to the headphones, the other goes to the treadmill. Makes 60 minutes on this thing go by much faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a treadmill!

Here's a good hill workout I recently began doing on a weekly basis.. don't attempt this if you don't have a good "base".. at least 6 months of "serious" running.

10 minute warmup
5 min at 4%
10 min at 5%
10 min at 6.5%
10 min at 7.5%
10 min cooldown

Do not change the speed, set treadmill to one speed and leave it there, only change the grade.

Killer workout, kicks the crap outta my legs everytime I do it.

mike
Quote Reply