Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas
Quote | Reply
So it’s super cold this morning, I think it’s time for a treadmill. I’m not a huge treadmill guy, but would use it about 3 days a week in winter (I prefer to run outside).

How much or little can I spend and not have to freeze. Would love to keep it under $1k. Is this even realistic?
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
So it’s super cold this morning, I think it’s time for a treadmill. I’m not a huge treadmill guy, but would use it about 3 days a week in winter (I prefer to run outside).

How much or little can I spend and not have to freeze. Would love to keep it under $1k. Is this even realistic?

14°C is not cold at all! It's GREAT for outdoor running!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's doable (finding a treadmill at that price), but it's going to take some effort of constantly looking on Craigslist, fb marketplace etc.

I'd recommend going for a sole f80 or f85. I have the f80 and have had it for 8 years. Great customer service. New, you'll spend 1500. It's worth it. Used, under 1k probably.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendation.

Fahrenheit is the temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treadmills are great. Sole is a good brand for the money. There are (sadly) a bunch of gyms closing so a few deals are to be had on Craig’s. That said, unless it’s so snowy that you can’t get traction, there is no reason to stay inside for running. An easy and inexpensive approach is to get a set of thin wool thermals and socks (I really like Duckworth) and layer them under normal run pants and a cycling jacket. I wear mine over 1/2 tights because that ‘part’ of the body is actually at risk to get cold in theses temps. Wool liner gloves + cheap shell mittens. Pro tip is that you should bring a second headband or hat - if you sweat number 1 thru, the cycling jacket means the dry cap can be swapped out in a few seconds because the pockets can be easily accessed without stopping. Same thing with the shell mittens - start the run with em on, but once the engine gets hot, it is as simple as pulling them off and tucking them into the cycling jacket pockets. It only took 20 years for me to figure this system out...
Last edited by: Mike Sharkey: Dec 19, 20 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure the treadmill has a continuous duty cycle motor. Cheaper treadmills may have motors that are not meant to be run at speeds for longer than 20-30 min

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Make sure the treadmill has a continuous duty cycle motor. Cheaper treadmills may have motors that are not meant to be run at speeds for longer than 20-30 min

Thanks this would never have crossed my mind - not being sarcastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:

Honestly, almost every treadmill north of $1400 is good enough to run hard on.

If you have any doubts, just look at the motor warrantee. Most TMs up from $1400 (like Sole F80) have a 5-year or even lifetime warrantee on the motor, meaning they are doubtful you will wear it out, even under heavy use.

The more you pay for a TM, the less maintenance it will need over the long haul and importantly, the better and longer the warrantee for parts are. You can actually get as just as good a workout on a $1500 Sole F80 vs a $4k Landice L7 but the Landice definitely is built with longer-lasting parts (especially like decks and electronics) as well as a superior warrantee. It's really important to compare warrantees amongst TMs - for sure they are a big part of why some TMs cost $4k and others cost $1k.
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:

Honestly, almost every treadmill north of $1400 is good enough to run hard on.

If you have any doubts, just look at the motor warrantee. Most TMs up from $1400 (like Sole F80) have a 5-year or even lifetime warrantee on the motor, meaning they are doubtful you will wear it out, even under heavy use.

The more you pay for a TM, the less maintenance it will need over the long haul and importantly, the better and longer the warrantee for parts are. You can actually get as just as good a workout on a $1500 Sole F80 vs a $4k Landice L7 but the Landice definitely is built with longer-lasting parts (especially like decks and electronics) as well as a superior warrantee. It's really important to compare warrantees amongst TMs - for sure they are a big part of why some TMs cost $4k and others cost $1k.

Agree with above. I bought a 7-8 year old Landice 8700 Sprint TM around 2007, so circa 2000 new. The only thing I've ever done was replaced the extension cord cause it had frayed out and was providing a "shocking" amount of feedback. Run many a 20 miler on it in the basement while on backup call for local hospital. It just keeps running, pun intended. Think I paid $600-700 total all in. Craigslist is great. Don't need to spend a ton. It's all about the deck and the motor. This thing weighs a ton.

Brian

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

I'll go against the grain here and say:

1. Don't buy used. Been there twice, both times didn't work out, issues. Don't buy other people's problems.

2. If you aren't planning on doing a huge amount of long runs, but rather just shorter runs for cold weather days, there is absolutely no need to spend a ton. I bought a Sole F80, and honestly its overkill for the 30-40km I do on it a week (at most). I would go with a Sole F63 which is currently $999 in the US.

When folks talk about how their $2000 treadmill lasts 10+ years, well a $1000 treadmill can last that long too, and hey, if it doesn't, you'll have the $1000 you saved to buy a brand new one down the road...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 21, 20 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm about to write a review of a horizon 7.8 AT treadmill. long story short i'm very impressed. it's a consumer direct brand, i got the pallet dropped off, it took 2hr to assemble, and it's exceeded my expectations. this is their top of the line treadmill, and it's $1,999.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm about to write a review of a horizon 7.8 AT treadmill. long story short i'm very impressed. it's a consumer direct brand, i got the pallet dropped off, it took 2hr to assemble, and it's exceeded my expectations. this is their top of the line treadmill, and it's $1,999.

I'm very much looking forward to your review. I actually bought the same thing and had it delivered last week. Based on just a few easy runs and one interval workout, I can confirm that I am very happy with my choice.

To the OP - I would note that even if you won't be using it that much, you do want to be sure it will work when you do need to use it. It can be extremely frustrating to have a planned workout on the treadmill because outside is iced over, and then the treadmill won't start.

That's a reason for a higher quality treadmill (and by higher quality I mean motor and warranty, not super fancy screens or application or speakers).
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will agree with sbrcanuck. Treadmills only really break if they arent maintained or abused. I mentioned the continuous duty cycle motor since thats the key thing to look for. He rest is just propietary electronics and design.

Treadmills encounter problems really just through heat buildup. If the belt is lubed frequently, belt is properly tensioned, and the deck/room is clean and free of debris, treadmills last a long time.

If the belt isnt properly tensioned and lubed infrequently, the motor will work harder than it has to. Each step produces more friction, which the motor then has to overcome. The harder the motor works, the more heat it produces, and you get the rest. Tensioning a belt, use the 3 finger rule and stomp test, 3 fingers should fit snug stacked vertically under the middle of the belt. Stomp test, set treadmill to 1mph, stomp one foot on it, belt/motor should stop momentarily with no roller slippage, then continue normally. Lube is cheap, use a few ounces once a month under the belt.

Debris is another problem. Keep the surroundings of the treadmill clean, especially under it. Wipe under the belt a few times a year before lube application to remove dirt that causes friction. Remember the motor on the treadmill has a fan blowing directly into it, if the room and area is dirty, you just blow crap into the motor which will damage it over time. This includes electronics too, they can short the if they get filthy (very unlikely though). Once a year unplug it, remove the motor cover and vacuum the inside (unplug it and hold a few buttons down on the control panel first to remove residual electricity)

Just show the thing a bit of love really...

You certainly do get quality the more you pay, but once you get to $1000+ you are looking at units that will last decades if you tend to them and are conscious of things that can arise. My precor 9.21i was bought in 1998 for $2400. It has well over over 10,000 miles on it and it runs flawlessly thanks to 22 years of maintenance

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Dec 21, 20 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I bought my 7.8 AT last month and could not be happier with the new treadmill, I looked around a lot and I decided that I would rather pay for heavily engineered treadmill over one that has more bells and whistles. The Bluetooth connectivity works really well and it makes running on Zwift super easy. The only snag I had with the Zwift integration was remembering to switch Zwift to the running program before turning on the treadmill, otherwise the treadmill will connect to the "controllable trainer" on the cycling side and not function properly until you disconnect and restart the treadmill and Zwift. Be prepared though this treadmill is heavy, I moved mine into the house Egyptian style with dowel rods under the box to roll it to the pain cave. Assembly is easy for anyone that is competent with hand tools and written directions. Now early morning runs are much more frequent and enjoyable during the cold weather months.
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
Debris is another problem. Keep the surroundings of the treadmill clean, especially under it. Wipe under the belt a few times a year before lube application to remove dirt that causes friction. Remember the motor on the treadmill has a fan blowing directly into it, if the room and area is dirty, you just blow crap into the motor which will damage it over time. This includes electronics too, they can short the if they get filthy (very unlikely though). Once a year unplug it, remove the motor cover and vacuum the inside (unplug it and hold a few buttons down on the control panel first to remove residual electricity)

You certainly do get quality the more you pay, but once you get to $1000+ you are looking at units that will last decades if you tend to them and are conscious of things that can arise. My precor 9.21i was bought in 1998 for $2400. It has well over over 10,000 miles on it and it runs flawlessly thanks to 22 years of maintenance

I'm sure maintenance goes a long way in most cases, but in my first case with a treadmill, it hasn't kept me from making 3 service calls. I got a Spirit XT285 for about $1700 4 years and 11 months ago (I know that because I bought a 5 year parts and labor warranty for $160). I'm not usually the type to buy those, but so glad I did.

2 years after purchase the motor went out - replaced for free
a month ago it sounded really loud - checked and the deck is broken - waiting for parts now for 3.5 weeks and no end in sight.

Now, I want to sell it as soon as I find the right second-hand Woodway in good condition, because the next time it breaks I'm not willing to pay for this stuff as it will be out of warranty. I lube every 5 months keep the pain cave really clean, but I think I'm just too much stress for this treadmill at only 500 miles per year on it. I'm running on it at 195 pounds often at 11-11.5 mph and the service tech told me I'm in the 'wrong class' of treadmills. Maybe a woodway is overkill, but something commercial that doesn't have unneeded frills is at least required by me. My $.02 in freezing cold MN where I'm skipping a run on a day like today with 25-30mph winds...and otherwise would have knocked out a solid hour run.

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had this mill for a couple years and its still jamming along fine.

Folding Treadmill | XTERRA TRX3500 | XTERRA Fitness
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
rsjrv99 wrote:

I'm sure maintenance goes a long way in most cases, but in my first case with a treadmill, it hasn't kept me from making 3 service calls. I got a Spirit XT285 for about $1700 4 years and 11 months ago (I know that because I bought a 5 year parts and labor warranty for $160). I'm not usually the type to buy those, but so glad I did.

2 years after purchase the motor went out - replaced for free
a month ago it sounded really loud - checked and the deck is broken - waiting for parts now for 3.5 weeks and no end in sight.

Now, I want to sell it as soon as I find the right second-hand Woodway in good condition, because the next time it breaks I'm not willing to pay for this stuff as it will be out of warranty. I lube every 5 months keep the pain cave really clean, but I think I'm just too much stress for this treadmill at only 500 miles per year on it. I'm running on it at 195 pounds often at 11-11.5 mph and the service tech told me I'm in the 'wrong class' of treadmills. Maybe a woodway is overkill, but something commercial that doesn't have unneeded frills is at least required by me. My $.02 in freezing cold MN where I'm skipping a run on a day like today with 25-30mph winds...and otherwise would have knocked out a solid hour run.

Woodways need repairs too, and you won't likely have any warranty on a used unit that will have hundreds of hours use on it. Why not spend a fraction of the amount on a top consumer model like the Sole F85, strong deck, strong motor, new with warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKM, i will agree that at around 200lb pushing upwards of 12mph is going to put enormous stress on a treadmill. Youd be an extreme outlier for treadmill users, so id agree with the tech. Treadmills rated for residential use aren’t really built for that, youd need a commercial gym treadmill

Woodways are great, but id agree with SBR. If youre going to be putting that much stress on any machine, you may be best off with the security of a warranty

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woodways need repairs too, and you won't likely have any warranty on a used unit that will have hundreds of hours use on it. Why not spend a fraction of the amount on a top consumer model like the Sole F85, strong deck, strong motor, new with warranty.[/quote]
I hear you. I can get a fully serviced, used Woodway for about $4K, but I intend to maintain it more like a car, with professional servicing every 18-24 months, and if parts go out, I will replace them as I am assuming I'll have it for 10-15 years. I'll also enjoy the use of the Woodway much more than my current Spirit. But if I didn't have an extended warranty on the Spirit, I would have paid nearly 100% of the price for it now to keep it running 5 years later.

I'm not opposed to the buying of a $1500-2000 commercial treadmill that should last 8-10 years either, but I know I enjoy the running experience far more on a Woodway than any number of treadmills I've run on, especially when doing intervals and they start to shake like they're going to collapse.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
I'm running on it at 195 pounds often at 11-11.5 mph and the service tech told me I'm in the 'wrong class' of treadmills.

I think your combination of body weight and speed puts you at the pointy end in terms of demands on treadmills. I'd think you'd do best with a commercial treadmill, honestly.
Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:
I'm running on it at 195 pounds often at 11-11.5 mph and the service tech told me I'm in the 'wrong class' of treadmills.

I think your combination of body weight and speed puts you at the pointy end in terms of demands on treadmills. I'd think you'd do best with a commercial treadmill, honestly.

Agreed - not many my size running that pace. This Spirit was purchased mostly for my wife 5 years ago when I didn't know I was going to be a triathlete or race long course...fast forward a couple years and I'm running 1000+ miles a year and nearly half indoors on it.

Quote Reply
Re: So it’s 14 degrees - treadmill ideas [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikerun66 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I bought my 7.8 AT last month and could not be happier with the new treadmill, I looked around a lot and I decided that I would rather pay for heavily engineered treadmill over one that has more bells and whistles. The Bluetooth connectivity works really well and it makes running on Zwift super easy. The only snag I had with the Zwift integration was remembering to switch Zwift to the running program before turning on the treadmill, otherwise the treadmill will connect to the "controllable trainer" on the cycling side and not function properly until you disconnect and restart the treadmill and Zwift. Be prepared though this treadmill is heavy, I moved mine into the house Egyptian style with dowel rods under the box to roll it to the pain cave. Assembly is easy for anyone that is competent with hand tools and written directions. Now early morning runs are much more frequent and enjoyable during the cold weather months.

The direct to consumer probably presents a good value proposition. My concern would be my ability to assemble it properly. I also would have been concerned about getting it to where it needs to be, but for the post above-great idea!

I’ll be on the lookout for the review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

I bought a Nordictrack Commercial 1750 (interestingly the same TM owned by Lionel Sanders). I bought it as an open box item from a local warehouse on an online auction website.

The only thing wrong with it was the cord from the motor to the console was severed. It was an easy problem to solve. I paid $404 including taxes and fees for a $2,500 treadmill ($300 before taxes and fees).

It has a touchscreen, Bluetooth, and IFit. The speed is up to 12mph, 22" deck, 3% decline, 15% incline. It's a great product. I think they're on sale for $1,699 new with financing available. I'd consider this product. I also think Eric Lagerstrom and Paula Findley have a Nordictrack TM. They are quality machines. I think the whole Woodway thing is a joke if you ask me. There is no need to pay $10,000 for a TM. Ever...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:

The direct to consumer probably presents a good value proposition. My concern would be my ability to assemble it properly. I also would have been concerned about getting it to where it needs to be, but for the post above-great idea!

I’ll be on the lookout for the review.

I should mention that I bought mine from a retailer. Didn't pay any more for the machine itself (actually paid $1799 after a $200 black Friday coupon), and was also able to get delivery to my chosen room plus installation The delivery/install cost $200, which balanced out the coupon nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will need a good mat for underneath. $
Then a TV to watch while on. $$
Netflix subscription to watch on TV. $$$
Quote Reply

Prev Next