Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian - another one for you.

Height: 5'7"
Inseam: 33"
Saddle Height: 745mm
PAD X 425mm
PAD Y 628mm

Separately:
The following stack and reach range bikes best suits me. What do you think would be best course for the Speedmax CFR?

Height: 5' 9"
Inseam: 32 1/2"
STACK: 519 - 539
REACH: 409 - 415
Last edited by: Iamkk: Dec 14, 20 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Iamkk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Awesome work you're doing here! You are the reason I created an account haha

I am interested in the "old" rim brake Speedmax CF SLX, I am quite novice in bike fitting but here is the info I have:
- Currently riding a Cannondale CAAD12 (2017) size 60
- Saddle height 97cm (slight tweak: its the height with a specific tri saddle (ISM PN 3.0) since I converted the CAAD12 to a triatlhon bike with clip-ons and new saddle)
- Height 189cm
- Inseam 89cm

Many thanks for your help, 40 pages of tread and still going strong!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [chitriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Here's another one for you... fairly certain I fit the "alien build": long legs, long arms, short torso.

Here are some dimensions from my most recent fit:
1) BB to middle top of saddle - 835mm
2) Saddle tip to center of handlebar - 585mm
3) Drop from saddle to pad top - 95mm
4) Saddle tip to aerobar tip - 860mm

I'm considering the Speedmax CF 8 DISC. My two biggest concerns are:
(1) Is there an option that will work with the pad drop? Based off my initial review of the geometry chart, I'm going to need all of the spacers, and it will still be close!
(2) Are the aerobars long enough?

Thanks in advance!

Chitriguy, I've got your seat height at 835. I need 2 more numbers. Pad Y and Pad X. Here's how you can take those at home with easy:
For Pad Y... Stand the bike up straight on a level surface (putting it a trainer can work too just makes sure the bike is level). Measure from the center of the BB to the ground (A) and then measure from the pad to the ground (B). Subtract A from B and you'll have your Pad Y.
For Pad X... Stand the bike up straight on a level surface and roll it forward 'til the front tire hits a wall or cupboard or some upright surface that's 90degrees to the floor. Then measure from the wall back to the back of the pad (A) and from the wall back to the BB (B). Subtract A from B and you've got Pad X. Make sure the measuring device (meter stick or measuring tape is level for those measurements).

Let me know and I can begin to answer your question.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [grgomes82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
Appreciate your help with sizing for the CF 8.0 Di2.
My case is somewhat similar to Lee but even longer reach.
Height 175
BB to Saddle 73.5
PadX 54
PadY 64
crank 16.5
I do have short legs and long torso (thanks Dad!) so fitting between S and M has been a struggle. I saw you recommendation to Lee but I feel wouldn’t have enough reach with a S.
Also I noticed the jump in minimum saddle height from S to M is due to a much longer seat post - 350mm M vs 270mm. Are they interchangeable? Assuming Canyon wouldn’t sell the 270mm with a M?
I ride at the moment on a profile design t1+ with pads all the way forward and feel unstable at times (as you mentioned before on another reply), hence I am favouring the M size , just not sure about the saddle height. Don’t mind missing out on the bottle adaptor.

Gil,
Yeah your position is a wee bit outside the norm but okay let's discuss. It has to be the small, the seat height won't make it on the Medium. The length of seat post doesn't matter, you could cut the post to 20mm and the frame will still be in the way. So, with the small the Pad Y is no problem, you're right in the sweet spot. The Pad X however is a problem. It's funny based on morphology I would have put your Pad X closer to 500 - but 540, I'd be so curious to see your shoulder angle - anyway, to make the small work for the Y you'd need a 140 stem. This exist. I can't consider this optimal at all. Oddly, it's not lack of stability that one would expect here. Again if your shoulder angle is extreme and it might be more logical at 510 or 515...now that's a 110 stem and more logical.

What's interesting to me is this - the 2018-2020 Speedmax SLX bike with rim brakes was LONG and your 540 just barely fits on that medium with the long stem that was so rarely used due to the Reach of the frame.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Shetlander31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett,

GREAT pics and vid - so helpful, thank you.

You are sitting exactly where you should be on that saddle, well done! The short cranks really make it, fantastic commitment there. The pad height looks pretty good, we won't know for sure 'til we move that front end out and away from you - it's a MUST! Earlier I suggested a 90mm stem, I almost think a 100 would even be better. Also, the seat height is at the highest it should be. After you get the longer stem to extend the front end then lower the seat height 4mm and see if that feels better (more comfortable and/or more powerful) if it does then lower another 3mm and decided between those three positions: where you are now, 4mm down, 3mm down and compare.

Remember you don't necessarily have to get a Canyon stem. It might look best but you can get any stem that is 100mm long, has a standard 1 & 1/8 inch steer tube clamp and a standard 31.8 base bar clamp.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am currently looking at Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2. I am torn between the small and the medium. My measurements for my road bike are below. It's currently set up in a more "relaxed" position, so I could probably stretch my position out some more.

Pad Y: 685 mm
Pad X: 463 mm
Seat Height: 749 mm

Based on the dimensions on Canyon's website I feel like I could make the Pad X/Y work for either the small or the medium, but I am concerned about the seat height as I would either be close to the maximum on the small or near the minimum on the medium. Please let me know if you need any more information.

CJ,
Just to be clear, you have clip-on aerobars on your road bike and the Pad Y/Pad X of that set up is 685/463? Let me know on that.

Also, how tall are you?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not currently have clip on aero bars. The pad X/Y I provided were to the long portion of the handlebar that the stem connects too (not 100% what to call that portion of the handlebar). I am 5 feet 10 inches tall.

Thanks,
CJ
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Schneum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
my name is Arne and I´m from Berlin/Germany.
I have a bike-fitting/size problem that may be also of general interest, so I post it here on the Forum.
I'm currantly riding a road-bike with clip-ons but looking forward to buying my first tri-bike early 2021.
On the Canyon Website (by numbers) I am exacly between size S and M for the new Speedmax Disc.
I have consulted two Bike-fitters.
The first one put my saddle on my road bike about 4cm backward to solve my knee issues and recommends size M for the new Canyon: Hight-relations on size S would be too agressive for me, he said.
The Second one did just a "loose fit"; It was not a real bike-fit but a session to try out bikes from different bike-manufacturers. He just made it work for me to take a short test ride round the block. But: all Bikes (Cervelo, Argon18, Felt, Giant) were Size S or 51. He said S is clearly in general the right size for me.

So what do you think?

I am 175cm high with an inseam of 85cm. 51 yrs old. Long limbs, short Torso. With short upper Arms...
Saddle hight from center of BB to top of Saddle is: 74,2cm
Armpad-stack is 650mm
Armpad-Reach is 455mm (side twds. rider), 460 (middle of pad).

Arne,
Let's say for a second that all the numbers you offer are perfect: Seat Height 742, Pad Y 650, Pad X 455.
If you wanted the new CFR or CFR SLX (disc brake bike) you have 2 choices:
1) the medium, with the short stem that comes stock, the medium extension that comes stock, and the mid spacer that comes pre-installed on the bike. The only hesitation is that the seat post would be down in the frame a bit and you wouldn't have access to the built in water bottle boss. This is never a big deal, if you want bottles behind your seat then use a mount from the rails.
2) the small, with the long stem, medium extensions, and mid spacer. You'll get the post bosses on this....but, I have a concern*

If you wanted the new CF with disc brakes you can do it with...the medium, the 80mm stem that comes standard, the standard spacer - same issue with the bottle boss down in the frame

*Here's my concern - you haven't had a bike fit yet. You describe taking your road bike to fitter who moved the seat backward 40mm. STOP RIGHT THERE... If we're trying to determine your tri position the seat would have to go forward perhaps 50mm. Because your hips are in the wrong spot we can't rely on that Pad Y/Pad X. The other experience where you rode around on some tri bikes - I'm sorry, that's not a fit.

Based on your body (your height, your limb/torso lengths, etc). I would put your Pad Y around 630 (not 650) and your Pad X out at 465 or beyond (not 455). To that end small becomes a problem because it maxes out at 460.

The Medium is your bike, no question. There are some musts here... you must ride a tri saddle, on the nose of it where you have to be to make all this work. And that spot has to be comfortable, if you're not get a saddle will give you comfort on the front.

Get back to me here if you have more questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Here are my numbers:
Height: 171cm
Saddle height: 763mm
Pad Stack (BB to top of pad): 672mm
Pad Reach (BB to back of pad): 403mm

Apart from whether I can fit onto the new CL SLX Disc, am also wondering about the arm pad width and grip widths. Would you be able to advise on the adjustibility of those?

Cheers,
Mel

edit: attach bike fit photo
Last edited by: walfisch: Dec 18, 20 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I have just ordered a 100mm stem there so hopefully will have arrived for me returning from work at the start of January.

Do you think that i will find it much more comfortable by making this change to extend the reach and lowering the seat height by 4mm?

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
What will be my configuration, I would like to go with flat bars
Height: 177cm
Inseam: 82.7cm
weight: 75kg
Pad Y: 630mm
Pad X: 480mm
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [nmurray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looking at the rim brake Speedmax CF. Can you offer fit assistance for:

Pad Stack = 750
Center of Pad Reach = 500

I'm 6'4" with long legs, FYI.

Thanks!

nmurray,
The Canyon Speedmax CF rim brake bike won't immediately arrive at your position without some help. Here's how you do this.... You get an XL. It's gonna come with 90mm Canyon stem that is -6 degree in pitch. Pull that off and put on a 90mm stem that is +8 degree in pitch. Use a Profile-Design or Ritchey or what ever you like. It'll be easy to find because the steer tube is standard 1 1/8in and the base bar is standard 31.8 so they are everywhere. The +8 and the spacers will get you up to the Pad Y of 750 (the max with the stock stem is 721). Then you'll want to pull the pads back pretty much 100% (the min Pad X is 508 but because we're now climber higher on the 73 degree head angle the pads are creeping back to you and you'll be at 500).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [monty816] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Currently riding a Jamis Comet that I bought in 2018 for $300 to get into the sport. It's a 58 and my GURU fitter told me it's too big. I'm looking at the CF8 Di2. I've attached the GURU report. I'm 72" tall and have a 32" inseam.

monty816,
The fit report suggests your Pad Y is 677 and your Pad X is 486. You're pretty leggy for someone 6ft so I get why you're in that neighborhood but I would still expect your Pad Y to be lower, around 650. Wondering about body angles, saddle choice, crank length during that fit...but let's proceed with what we've got.

If it's the new disc brake Speedmax CF then there are two ways to go:
1) get the medium with all the stock stuff and you're golden the only caveat is that the seat post will be low in the frame and you won't have the bottle boss so any behind the seat hydration will need to be rail mounted.
2) get the small, pull the 70mm stem off that and put on a 100mm stem and you'll get the length you need in the cockpit.

You can go lower with either of these prescriptions if you ever need/want to.

Get back to me here with questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian -- I appreciate the quick response!!

Currently, and for the fitting, my crank length is 175 and my saddle is a Fizik Mistica. Would the same sizing guidance for small or medium apply to the non-disk CF8 Di2?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I unhelpfully have no firm numbers here. In a period of post IM stupidity sold my Shiv and even greater stupidity didn't record any of the fit measurements. I adjusted it myself over time and was fairly happy with the position.

I'm also aware that I have weird proportions. I did speak to a Canyon support person who agreed with my assessment of needing a size L despite the autosize suggesting M. I'm still not confident that I'm going to be able to get any size to work though.

I've worked out from photos and knowing spacer and riser dimensions some approximate values.

My measurements: 182cm Tall, 90cm Inseam.

I had a large Shiv which has these:

Frame Stack: 565mm

Frame Reach: 425mm

Pad Stack: ~725mm - Based off my photos, 45mm of risers under the pads/bars and about 45-50mm of steerer spacers under the stem. Combined with the stem (definitely 60mm, maybe -6 degree) and the height of the bars/pads themselves, my conservatively high estimate is about 160mm above the Frame Stack.

Pad Reach: ~445mm - To the centre of the pad is probably about 20mm longer than the Frame Reach.

Saddle height: ~780mm - I'm not sure of this, my current road bike is this, but I'm not particularly happy with the setup on that yet. Looking at the race photos I think it might have been better a little higher and further forward.

Saddle: Adamo ISM Attack - Slightly forward of centre.

I've attached a couple of photos in case that helps.

Last edited by: JayTeeHaitch: Dec 16, 20 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

I have finally got round to assembling my speedmax cf8.0. Is it possible to provide any more detail as to how I should dial-in my fit from the details I sent?

Saddle height is good. Unsure stem height and length of aerobars etc.

Looks like the bike came with one spacer installed but in the aerobars it is quite strained on my shoulders. Should the pads be under my elbows or closer to my hands?

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the rim brake Speedmax CF. Can you offer fit assistance for:

Pad Stack = 750
Center of Pad Reach = 500

I'm 6'4" with long legs, FYI.

Thanks!

nmurray,
The Canyon Speedmax CF rim brake bike won't immediately arrive at your position without some help. Here's how you do this.... You get an XL. It's gonna come with 90mm Canyon stem that is -6 degree in pitch. Pull that off and put on a 90mm stem that is +8 degree in pitch. Use a Profile-Design or Ritchey or what ever you like. It'll be easy to find because the steer tube is standard 1 1/8in and the base bar is standard 31.8 so they are everywhere. The +8 and the spacers will get you up to the Pad Y of 750 (the max with the stock stem is 721). Then you'll want to pull the pads back pretty much 100% (the min Pad X is 508 but because we're now climber higher on the 73 degree head angle the pads are creeping back to you and you'll be at 500).

Ian

Thanks! How many spacers would that require?

Also, could I impose on you to offer your opinion on and perhaps another fit prescription using a +17 degree stem (specifically PD's to use with the Aeria Hydration system)? Could I use that stem and fit on the L? Does that angle take the pad stack too high? I like the narrative of and look of turning this into a "super bike." Please let me know if this is more a question to take over to the PD bar official fit assistance forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

First of all, amazing thread and thanks for your time, answering all people!!

I'm going to buy the Canyon Speedmax 7.0, but i'm not sure if i should get a size S or M, so hope that you can help me out.

I got a bikefit half a year ago, and have attached both some stats and a picture, that hopefully will give you some insight.

I'm 178cm high and my inseam is 78cm (so according to Canyon, i'm a size S) <

Hope you can give me some advice :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [crazylitchi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Awesome work you're doing here! You are the reason I created an account haha

I am interested in the "old" rim brake Speedmax CF SLX, I am quite novice in bike fitting but here is the info I have:
- Currently riding a Cannondale CAAD12 (2017) size 60
- Saddle height 97cm (slight tweak: its the height with a specific tri saddle (ISM PN 3.0) since I converted the CAAD12 to a triatlhon bike with clip-ons and new saddle)
- Height 189cm
- Inseam 89cm

Many thanks for your help

crazylitchi,
You're welcome, happy to help.
Tall and long legs, it can work well on that Speedmax SLX (rim brake). I' betting your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 670 and your Pad X is roughly 550. It's a size XL with the short stem that comes stock on that bike. You'll need to put 40mm of pedestal under the aerobars push the pads forward to the maximum. The result will be 670/552. Now, if you need to go lower, no problem you can drop down 40mm. If you need to go higher there's only about 15mm left for lift. If you need to go shorter easy, lots of room...but, if you need to go longer you have only two options: 1) purchase the long stem from Canyon (that'll open the flood gates) or 2) if you only need 5-10mm more then buy an aftermarket item from them called a TSP (Team Switch Plate). That little set will allow the pads to go a bit longer and wider if you need it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am currently looking at Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2. I am torn between the small and the medium. My measurements for my road bike are below. It's currently set up in a more "relaxed" position, so I could probably stretch my position out some more.

Pad Y: 685 mm
Pad X: 463 mm
Seat Height: 749 mm

Based on the dimensions on Canyon's website I feel like I could make the Pad X/Y work for either the small or the medium, but I am concerned about the seat height as I would either be close to the maximum on the small or near the minimum on the medium. Please let me know if you need any more information.
CJ,
Just to be clear, you have clip-on aerobars on your road bike and the Pad Y/Pad X of that set up is 685/463? Let me know on that.
Also, how tall are you?
Ian

I do not currently have clip on aero bars. The pad X/Y I provided were to the long portion of the handlebar that the stem connects too (not 100% what to call that portion of the handlebar). I am 5 feet 10 inches tall.

CJ, no worries, good that we're covering all these bases. The place where the stem clamps onto the handlebar (in the center of that clamp), that place can be referenced using the same X&Y axis emanating from the center of the bottom bracket. That spot is Handlebar Y and Handlebar X. That doesn't play too big a roll in the selection of a tri bike because the arm pads can sit will above that spot (adding to the Y) and in front of or behind that spot (changing the X).

I'm confident that your Pad Y is around 635 and your Pad X is roughly 480. That could change if your legs were drastically long or short, or if you've had 4 of your lumbar vertebrae fused or whatnot. If you have regular dude morphology then we can proceed (if something's unusual, let me know).

So, for the new Speedmax CF disc brake bike... you're a size M, with the low spacer. I'm not 100% sure the lower water bottle boss will be exposed behind the seat post, it's gonna be close. If it's down in the frame you can simply run a water bottle system off the saddle rails - if you even want a bottle back there (many don't).

Get back to me here if you have questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [walfisch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Here are my numbers:
Height: 171cm
Saddle height: 763mm
Pad Stack (BB to top of pad): 672mm
Pad Reach (BB to back of pad): 403mm

Apart from whether I can fit onto the new CL SLX Disc, am also wondering about the arm pad width and grip widths. Would you be able to advise on the adjustibility of those?

Cheers,
Mel

Mel,
Based on your numbers you'll fit very well on a Medium with the short stem, mid spacer, mid extension (all three of those come stock). You'll even have some room to play with the tilt wedges to detail that as well.
As to your query of pad width.... with the stock pads* there are three settings: narrow is 88mm, mid is 140mm and wide is 159mm. *I say with "stock pads" because the stock pad itself is pretty narrow (~63mm) and has a moderately deep cup. It might be possible (for someone who wanted more width) to pull these and install something wide and flatish like a Profile Design F40 (~120mm wide) and that would add a great deal to the width.
Re grip width... I'm sorry I don't have numbers right now. I do know the bike will come "narrow" and you can add the spacers (in orange below) to widen them.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Iamkk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Height: 5'7"
Inseam: 33"
Saddle Height: 745mm
PAD X 425mm
PAD Y 628mm

Iamkk
For this athlete above...
If it's a CFR or SLX disc it's a size Small, with all the stock goodies: short stem, mid riser, mid extension. The bottle boss will be exposed behind the post and there's nice room to move a bit fore/aft/up/dwn.
If it's for the CF disc it's a small and the 70mm stem that comes stock will be perfect with room to move.

Quote:
Separately:
The following stack and reach range bikes best suits me. What do you think would be best course for the Speedmax CFR?

Height: 5' 9"
Inseam: 32 1/2"
STACK: 519 - 539
REACH: 409 - 415
And for you on the CFR.. the length is right but you ride low and this bike can only get down to a Pad Y of 526 and that's the XS (which is not being sold in the U.S.). The lowest the Small goes is ~560.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Shetlander31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply. I have just ordered a 100mm stem there so hopefully will have arrived for me returning from work at the start of January.
Do you think that i will find it much more comfortable by making this change to extend the reach and lowering the seat height by 4mm?
Brett

Brett,
Let me start by revealing my agenda, my priorities - which fly in the face of 99% of the industry advertising and 98% of the posters here on our Forum. Comfort is my number one priority as a fitter. Power creation is number two. Aero-ness is number three. I see lots of folks chase a look that they think is very aerodynamic and because their bars are slow low or their pads or so narrow or whatever they can only stay in that position for 3-5 min before the pain forces them up onto the bull horns to stretch and recovery. In doing so they are up in the wind and SLOW. Far better than their aero position be a bit higher, pads a bit wider but they can stay in that spot for 60-75min before needing some respite.

So, when you ask "will I find more comfort lowering my seat 4mm?" - no. That change won't give you comfort 'til hour 3 of your ride. The longer stem however will give you more comfort immediately. Drastic comfort. But it won't be finished. You'll still need to ride progressive rides (30min.. then 40min... in a week's time 60min... in two weeks 75-90min...etc. etc). AND you need to be willing to play with tiny adjustments: tilting the aerobar so the extension go up a touch might help you as well - but again, do this progressively, do it in an exploratory fashion and over the weeks and months find your spot. Once you have it, measure it and own it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Trisuito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian
What will be my configuration, I would like to go with flat bars
Height: 177cm
Inseam: 82.7cm
weight: 75kg
Pad Y: 630mm
Pad X: 480mm

Trisuito,
The best option is Medium with the long stem (flat bar is fine) the low spacer and the medium extension.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [monty816] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Currently riding a Jamis Comet that I bought in 2018 for $300 to get into the sport. It's a 58 and my GURU fitter told me it's too big. I'm looking at the CF8 Di2. I've attached the GURU report. I'm 72" tall and have a 32" inseam.
monty816,
The fit report suggests your Pad Y is 677 and your Pad X is 486. You're pretty leggy for someone 6ft so I get why you're in that neighborhood but I would still expect your Pad Y to be lower, around 650. Wondering about body angles, saddle choice, crank length during that fit...but let's proceed with what we've got.

If it's the new disc brake Speedmax CF then there are two ways to go:
1) get the medium with all the stock stuff and you're golden the only caveat is that the seat post will be low in the frame and you won't have the bottle boss so any behind the seat hydration will need to be rail mounted.
2) get the small, pull the 70mm stem off that and put on a 100mm stem and you'll get the length you need in the cockpit.

You can go lower with either of these prescriptions if you ever need/want to.

Thanks Ian -- I appreciate the quick response!!

Currently, and for the fitting, my crank length is 175 and my saddle is a Fizik Mistica. Would the same sizing guidance for small or medium apply to the non-disk CF8 Di2?

monty816,
What I was eluding to was this... based on your morphology I expected a Pad Y nearer to 650 and you came away from your fit with 677. There could be several reasons why. The 175mm crank length on a tri bike is not a poor choice, it's a criminal choice. It's wrong. Long cranks keep you from riding in a lower position - you can be comfortable low, you can be powerful low, but only with shorter cranks. I'm taller than you are and I ride 165s. I have lots of athletes 6'-6'2" who are on 160s. That 175 is already robbing you of value and this current robbery is that of an accurate prescription for your new bike purchase. I'm angry - not at you, I'm angry at fitters that allow this sh*t to happen. It taints my profession!

P.S. I failed to mention this earlier but I so respect racing on a $300 bike. That's a fantastic entry purchase for this sport. AND I absolutely know you beat people on bikes 20x more expensive!!

Also, regarding equipment... the Fizik Mistica is a good saddle - IF - you are comfortable sitting on the front of it. If you're not comfy there then this saddle is not the right one for you and if you were allowed to sit on the aft portion of the saddle during the fit that too robbed you of an accurate prescription.

So, back to the new question.. the rim brake CF...The large is best should. It'll come with a 175mm crank (see criminal complaint above) swap it out to a 165 crank and sit on the front of that saddle and you can ride at a Y of 670, 660, prolly even 650 in comfort. The bike comes with an 90mm stem, that'll have to come off put on a 110 to get out to your 486.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next