Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
also what is this #3 that wont be revealed by TRISandy

The forum that shall not be named. I'm pretty sure if you say its name three times BleP will appear (or worse Duffy). I'm probably already inviting trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
also what is this #3 that wont be revealed by TRISandy

The forum that shall not be named. I'm pretty sure if you say its name three times BleP will appear (or worse Duffy). I'm probably already inviting trouble.

Hey now! A little less than 50% of my total overall posts are on that side

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
(General reply) What are people using for schedules? What’s your progression?

Im currently on:
Mon: 3
Tues: 10
Wed: 5-7 with some speed (feel way better with something like 4x800 @ 5k pace in the mix)
Thurs: 10
Fri: 3
Sat: 8-15 (can get out to some fun place so go for elevation (views!) over distance)
Sun: 2x3 just to keep up with you double a-holes ;-)

Don’t actually plan on changing this at all through the 100, just going to carry the rhythm through. What are you doing?

Mon: Run
Tue: Run
Wed: Run
Thu: Run
Fri: Run
Sat: Run
Sun: Run

;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [healthy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 30, 42 runs all outside, 5k or greater, no missed days yet. Hard Mode still in play.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hit buy a car yesterday on bike. it was slippery from the rain we both slid when hitting the brakes. my tailbone is very bruised from landing on windshield and cracking it, seems not broken. it hurts to sit in a chair or lift my right leg very high. so I am going to have to avoid speed work, i am so thankful just to be able to jog this could have been worse

so didnt run this morning, but decided to see if I am ok on grass jog of 30 min. hit 48 min with some touch of the road, so I should be ok to continue jogging
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes. Take it easy. The next few days will be rough, I'm sure. Some extra bruises will probably show over the next 48-72 hours.

Glad you're OK.

I have a friend who did a similar thing, and shattered his hip 6 months ago. He's just now back to jogging 11 minute miles. His normal running pace was in the 7:2x a year ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Somebody mentioned spring shoes - or boots. Saw two women in West Vanc out on them- they look pretty cool, like inlines.

I need to get a pair. My leg /Achilles injured since July, finally healed up for this and feels good, getting better.
But now it's the lower heel area that has flared up on same leg.

Is anyone hardly able to walk 1st thing out of bed in the morning?
From there it takes ~1/2 hour to loosen up and get going.

Not sure if anyone has responded to you yet since I'm behind on this thread.

I had some insertional Achilles issues in years past and these posts really helped me out.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6486622#p6486622
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6553842#p6553842
  • Rest doesn't heal it.
  • Stretching my calf aggravated it
  • You need to strengthen it "goldilocks" style to get it better. Not too easy (rest), not to hard (weighted calf raises)
  • start with body weight isometric calf raises (stand on your tippy toes)
  • move to weighted isometric calf raises (stand on your tippy toes and press upwards on a frame)
  • move to body weight calf raises with your heals elevated off the floor
  • move to weighted calf raises
  • and lastly move to full range calf raises with your heal dropping below level.

Last edited by: mgreer: Dec 16, 20 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
SharkFM wrote:
Somebody mentioned spring shoes - or boots. Saw two women in West Vanc out on them- they look pretty cool, like inlines.

I need to get a pair. My leg /Achilles injured since July, finally healed up for this and feels good, getting better.

I had some insertional Achilles issues in years past and these posts really helped me out.

• Rest doesn't heal it.
  • You need to strengthen it "goldilocks" style to get it better. Not too easy (rest), not to hard (weighted calf raises)
  • move to weighted isometric calf raises (stand on your tippy toes and press upwards on a frame)
  • and lastly move to full range calf raises with your heal dropping below level.

i had this issue too for me. definitely agree rest did not heal it. switching from drop show to no drop like altras helped. I also take the sole out of the shoe that the leg is longer than the other
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
mgreer wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

• Rest doesn't heal it.

i had this issue too for me. definitely agree rest did not heal it. switching from drop show to no drop like altras helped. I also take the sole out of the shoe that the leg is longer than the other

I did switch to my Merrell Bare Access shoes which are no drop and firm sole. This actually puts less force on the heel. I also spent a couple of days walking around with an eraser in my left shoe, if you can believe it, to work that PF/arch area.

Just to keep the blood flow, I am "running" slow pace and very vertically aligned. Few treadmill sets on incline too. Happy to report the heel is getting MUCH better. Still not out of the weeds by any means but stoked to be able to do put together 1+ sets of 30 a day. And not visibly limping anymore!

I did a weight workout, single legs etc at the track today- doing that every few days.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, thugbuster... Enough is enough. I think you did that extra 3.02m tonight just to stay ahead of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I was hit buy a car yesterday on bike. It was slippery from the rain we both slid when hitting the brakes. my tailbone is very bruised from landing on windshield and cracking it, seems not broken. It hurts to sit in a chair or lift my right leg very high. so I am going to have to avoid speed work, I am so thankful just to be able to jog this could have been worse

So didn't run this morning, but decided to see if I am ok on grass jog of 30 min. Hit 48 min with some touch of the road, so I should be ok to continue jogging

It's tough to say if you're extremely hardcore or a tremendous dumbass

Good luck, heal/recover well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
It's tough to say if you're extremely hardcore or a tremendous dumbass

Good luck, heal/recover well

just got to keep on moving. I have been told they changed procedures in hospital. my mom after receiving knee replacement, rather than be bed ridden they made her immediately use a walker right after surgery... to prevent blood clots. Same thing for my father who had stent surgery
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
I'm back this year, even though I vowed not to participate. As always I have some stupid side challenge. Year 1 most miles, year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.

Year 4: the holy amature trail. Sub 5 mile. I was upset with my mile time 3 days ago, 5:51.
Today finishing 10miler, 200x3 in 41,43,40. I have a lot of work to do. Need to be at 200x12 @ 35s. :(

Good luck! It's been a LOOOONG time since I ran sub-5. Like last century...and not the 90's.

I’m trying to break the 5min mile too - maybe Dec 19 in Jacksonville FL.

calling you out home boy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
plant_based wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
I'm back this year, even though I vowed not to participate. As always I have some stupid side challenge. Year 1 most miles, year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.

Year 4: the holy amature trail. Sub 5 mile. I was upset with my mile time 3 days ago, 5:51.
Today finishing 10miler, 200x3 in 41,43,40. I have a lot of work to do. Need to be at 200x12 @ 35s. :(

Good luck! It's been a LOOOONG time since I ran sub-5. Like last century...and not the 90's.

I’m trying to break the 5min mile too - maybe Dec 19 in Jacksonville FL.

calling you out home boy....

I didn't end up racing in that 1mi race, but did a 5K instead on 12/12. I left my camelbak at home and had a mediocre performance, but they are having the same 5K race course on 1/9/21, so thinking of redeeming myself in 3 weeks and somewhat preparing for that in my run workouts.

I heard you got hit - glad you're ok.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

I didn't end up racing in that 1mi race, but did a 5K instead on 12/12. I left my camelbak at home and had a mediocre performance, but they are having the same 5K race course on 1/9/21, so thinking of redeeming myself in 3 weeks and somewhat preparing for that in my run workouts.

I heard you got hit - glad you're ok.

why do you need camelbak for 5k???

i would like to thank all those who sent me well wishes. Surprisingly I recovered so fast. I was able to help a girl do a sub 90 minute half marathon (just went for 5 miles). I take everyday unsure of my capabilities going by feel. SO I am appreciating them all even if its a slog of a jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I missed what happened to you but whatever it was, glad you are running OK.

On our side our govt is announcing going into a 28 day lockdown on Xmas eve. Crap, my plan for the Dec 26 and Jan 2 10K swims are pretty likely dead since the pool time that one of our friends rented is likely toast. So my big swim build this month will likely end in 3 days...I'll go nuts in the pool and then after that, its going to be a big 100/100 push. Timing of 100/100 will help get many of us in Ontario through this period (well unless they say you can't go outside to exercise, but they did not do that last March).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I’m really high maintenance. I usually go through 40-48oz of Gatorade in 3.0-3.1mi if I’m doing a threshold effort.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I’m really high maintenance. I usually go through 40-48oz of Gatorade in 3.0-3.1mi if I’m doing a threshold effort.[/quote

I have to say that you are being a bit clueless. At least what you are doing does not apply to anyone in the history of track (check out pictures of every starting lineup in every olympic and worlds 5000m).

Athletes in the Olympic games 5000m are going much harder than you. A 5000m race is not a buffet. If humans could not survive in between 12 minutes and 20 minute without nutrition at intensities slightly higher than 1 hrs threshold, then our species would be extinct. You don't have different genetic DNA than the rest of humanity, and are not a physiological N=1.

It is certain that this is in your head. No one needs any nutrition or liquid for 5000m, even the person who takes 1 hrs to do this in 40C heat. They have enough hydration and sodium on the their body and enough stored glycogen alreaddy.

48 oz of Gatorade during a 5000m race is slowing you down between carrying it and diverting blood flow to absorb it (which you won't in such a short duration). Plus it is OK to sweat and lose some hydration and end a short race mildly dehydrated....there is a tradeoff on performance because you get lighter as you lose a touch of weight as you burn through glycogen+water stored on your body.

If you are reasonably trained, which you appear to be you can easly go 90-120 minutes on zero nutrition. for 5000m this is in your head only.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 20, 20 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
plant_based wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I’m really high maintenance. I usually go through 40-48oz of Gatorade in 3.0-3.1mi if I’m doing a threshold effort.

I have to say that you are being a bit clueless. At least what you are doing does not apply to anyone in the history of track (check out pictures of every starting lineup in every olympic and worlds 5000m).

Athletes in the Olympic games 5000m are going much harder than you. A 5000m race is not a buffet. If humans could not survive in between 12 minutes and 20 minute without nutrition at intensities slightly higher than 1 hrs threshold, then our species would be extinct. You don't have different genetic DNA than the rest of humanity, and are not a physiological N=1.

It is certain that this is in your head. No one needs any nutrition or liquid for 5000m, even the person who takes 1 hrs to do this in 40C heat. They have enough hydration and sodium on the their body and enough stored glycogen alreaddy.

48 oz of Gatorade during a 5000m race is slowing you down between carrying it and diverting blood flow to absorb it (which you won't in such a short duration). Plus it is OK to sweat and lose some hydration and end a short race mildly dehydrated....there is a tradeoff on performance because you get lighter as you lose a touch of weight as you burn through glycogen+water stored on your body.

If you are reasonably trained, which you appear to be you can easly go 90-120 minutes on zero nutrition. for 5000m this is in your head only.

what you say is 100% true. only thing I can think of is when I was in the powerlifting/bodybuilding world, I drank a ton and always thirsty when it came to cardio. (I took creatine back then at it has something to do with water retention). The longest run I did was about 17 miles no water. I do chew gum though on my runs, which lasts me for an hour without thinking about water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was racing hard half marathons I used use a piece of hard candy. I would pop it in at 50 minutes of so, and it pretty well lasts till the finish line for 30ish minutes (1:21 to 1:25 range) and keep mouth moist and trick the brain that it is getting a surge of sugar (a small bit of sugar goes from under tongue into blood stream staight to brain).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I realize it’s partly psychological. It’s how I’ve been training lately with Gatorade.

When I was younger and did races I didn’t think about water or Gatorade much for 5Ks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just logged run 47 yesterday. I started on the 7th, however.
Today an easy 30-40 minutes(like most of these runs) ... which is what I hope will become my IMC pace.
Tuesday is more ambitious, a full mara. shooting for a 4:10-4:20. Walk breaks every 12 minutes for 10-15 seconds. Fuel will be mostly F2C Glycodurance, maple syrup, caffeine pills, water.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? Really? I ran 17 miles yesterday without anything. Granted it was 38 degrees but food and water is extremely overrated in running, especially in anything <1 hr. This assumes normal temps, of course.

Your body can digest very, very little in a 20 minute effort. In a 5k or threshold effort there is no way that 48 oz is actually beneficial.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but the vast majority of runners need food to fuel a 17-mile run. Also us bigger athletes who sweat a lot need electrolytes; even for runs less than an hour at an EZ pace. So for me, fuel while running is very important especially in a challenge such as this where I'm running consecutive days, plus maintaining my cycling. You running 17-miles without eating is not the norm. But kudos for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Yeah but the vast majority of runners need food to fuel a 17-mile run. Also us bigger athletes who sweat a lot need electrolytes; even for runs less than an hour at an EZ pace. So for me, fuel while running is very important especially in a challenge such as this where I'm running consecutive days, plus maintaining my cycling. You running 17-miles without eating is not the norm. But kudos for you.

Have a look at every elite marathon and what they take in during the first 17 miles. It is almost zero and even for more people running 2:45 and below they don't take in much during the first 18 miles (~2 hrs). In any case for someone well trained, no matter how hot, 90 min run on zero nutrition or hydration will be doable. It won't be optimal, but if the person is well fuelled before the run, 90 min at cruise pace should be in the realm of not leaving this runner cripple for the next day. I have done several 80ish minute runs during this 100/100 on nothing. And since 80-90 min is my long run, I never take anything on runs. For a 90 min bike or swim, I would also need nothing at all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next