Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
2 years ago I had quit running and rolled with your suggestion to use 100/100 as a 100 day try to rehab and get back to running once for 30 minutes by the end of it without having to stop, stretch and stop my leg and lumbar area from going into spasms.....so here we are 2 years later.

Well, guess what, on my run to the pool on Tuesday I surpassed 3000km running for the year, my most running in 15 years. As I am primarily a swimmer now, several times per week I am running to the pool and running back and extending each run to 30 min or longer.....what ends up happening is that I end up doing more minutes running than my Covid19 capped 60 min swim.

So the swimmer who is using running as a means of commuting to the pool is doing more running than swimming. I see by freqency I am in the top 25 and by distance in 31st and on the 10km per day pace that I had when I first did this in 2006.

i'm proud of you, man. you and the fellow tom and i were just discussing. you two are the poster children for the value of the 100/100 (which was your idea in the beginning, way back when) as a motivational tool.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, on the other hand, am the un-poster-child...working to undo my misfortune from last year. So far, so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - 3000km is super impressive

I on the other hand spent most of the last year becoming very familiar with the wines of British Columbia 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Been there....but, luckily I'm way out in the sticks (plenty of leaves, cover, and no people). Hooo boy....that's a long way to panic shuffle.

side note, decided to join big kahuna last minute, noticed your name, and surprised you were ahead of me considering your ailments of past....

but also first 6 months this year i havent logged all my bike miles on strava, i have a separate log for that because I use old school wheel magnet bike computer. o well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I, on the other hand, am the un-poster-child...working to undo my misfortune from last year. So far, so good.

As one of my professional life mentors, former Canadian 4 star General Tom Lawson said, "Our bodies are a recording of our lives". He had something like 22 year running streak of running every day which was super impressive given his work responsibilities with our troops spread over multiple war zones and still making the time to run.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Been there....but, luckily I'm way out in the sticks (plenty of leaves, cover, and no people). Hooo boy....that's a long way to panic shuffle.

side note, decided to join big kahuna last minute, noticed your name, and surprised you were ahead of me considering your ailments of past....

but also first 6 months this year i havent logged all my bike miles on strava, i have a separate log for that because I use old school wheel magnet bike computer. o well

Yeah, I'm kinda proud to be on the front page of BK, given the way things started....and its ALL running.

Though, I did manage to run across Tennessee and back (virtually) between June and September. That was 155 runs in 92 days, and 916 miles (I also had another 400+ of walking, but that doesn't count). I think I had three zeros total in that stretch---for your purist approach to the 100/100. I'm just over 2000 miles for 2020. So, I kinda made up for my slow start to the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

As one of my professional life mentors, former Canadian 4 star General Tom Lawson said, "Our bodies are a recording of our lives". He had something like 22 year running streak of running every day which was super impressive given his work responsibilities with our troops spread over multiple war zones and still making the time to run.

True. But some events leave more of a mark than others...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have made it to 25 only need to do this 3 more times! On a roll now for sure but checking the aches and pains every day. Saw a great sunrise this morning which made it all worth while.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25/25 Excellent! I see you, just off the front page in 109th.

Looks like you started out at the minimum, and now you are up to ~40min / 4mile runs. That's exactly the idea. It doesn't look like you've taken a day off. That's ok, but don't be afraid to---if it starts catching up to you.

When you feel ready, try doing a double day. Back it down to a very easy 3 miles, and see if you can do a second one later the same day. Then you can take a full day off without losing a spot. :-) And, you learn how it feels to run twice in the same day. Do it that way for a couple weeks, then maybe add a second double day..a couple days apart. Now you're at 8x per week with a full day off, still.

All of the sudden you'll find yourself on the front page in the top 100. It only gets worse from there. :o)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the one hand there is nothing to be proud of. Because the thing that makes us strong also breaks us. As endurance athletes we are awesome at making our bodies move when our bodies do not want to go. This makes us stronger until it also breaks us.

So the thing you can be proud of was that I managed to channel this mindset into 100 days of only focus on rehab and doing just a bit less each time than what I felt the body could do.

By staying inside that 'just a bit less than the limit' I was able to come back for more and more until on the final week of the challenge two years ago it was possible to do a contiguous 30 min run.

The beauty of turning primarily into a swimmer is I don't have any crazy illusion about needing to stride it out and make my cardio work during runs. I get more than the fix or cardio overload in the water....so I can come to running and treat it less like performance and more like an upgraded version of rehab. Which allows for repeating it over and over with less chance of breaking.

I still feel tempted to do strides or some 400's and 1000m hard sessions (for me) but since there is hard swimming either before or after really difficult running rarely happens (which is excellent)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
So far, its been worth every cent. Well...except that MistressK has been rather delinquent recently. I'd post more pix, but I don't have snow, or trails, or rivers, or mountains, or wildlife (except dead skunks, possums, and armadillos...and the occasional dead wild hog). Just the same ugly mug with too much grey facial hair...on the same 40 miles of pavement.

Sorry Tom - I'm kinda the worst about ST right now!

I've been busy scaring off the Canadian Air Force..

..slogging up snowy hills..

..being a tunnel rat..

..and generally just meandering around in the dark.

Quote | Reply
Day 25, coyote pelon and Tami21, Hotel Del, Coronado, CA. Masked
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Dec 9, 20 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. Just taking it day by day but have been a bit stubborn about not taking a day off. Right now, the dogs are feeling pretty good so I started to easy up the mileage just a bit. After 30 days, I might think about doing a double and then taking a day off. Right now, just fun to be up and out every morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still enjoying this! I did a double day early on, and then had to take a day off around Thanksgiving as I got a stomach bug, so now back to even. I was running with HR in Z3 to 4, so decided to really focus on getting to Z1-2, which means really slowing down, and wasn't fast anyway! So last two days have been in Z2, man slow but a complete different feel! Will be doing Tom's earlier suggestion on adding miles, and double runs soon enough.

Really enjoy seeing the photos. reading the stories and hearing how each is doing. So to all of you, keep up the great work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are drafting me, Dev. /pink
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 10, 20 15:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I think you are drafting me, Dev. /pink

Yesterday's first workout was run commute to poool and back (two runs totalling 70 min) and my swim was 2500m with main set as 5x400IM on 8 min....I managed to get a drop in at the evening swim and did 3200m with 5x400IM on 8 minutes (for a nice round 10x400IM split session....kind of in line with the 100/100 frequency plan). I did not feel like run commuting to the pool at night so it was 2 run day, not a 4 run day (I have never done a 4 run day). Once traiing for Ironmans, I did a 3 run day that went like this: 4:30 am, 40 min run in hotel parking lot at San Francisco airport, get to airport, get on my flight. I planned a 3ish hour connection so I was able to leave security, go to the Goodlife fitness gym in the airport and do a 45 min bike+45 min run plus weights. Then I got my connecting flight back too Ottawa and after dinner with family and when family was asleep, I got back on my treadmill for another 40 min to make it a 2:10 hrs run day. That was the most stupid split long run I have done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today was a weird day....I wanted to do an hour hill run in the morning and then drive to the pool at lunch time for a swim. The hill run got nixed due to work and then I found myself with the window over lunch to run commute swim and run commute back.

I actually do not enjoy running with a backpack on, but I end up saving ~24 minutes of driving time if I run the minimum out and back of 44 minutes, but once I am running I just make it 30+ minutes both ways. So this week I ended up with 8 runs from doubles and one single. The doubles were not intended (were not planned). They just happened, but by today I did not enjoy it. Before I leave the pool and when I get home, I run a bit on both ends without the backpack....it feels like bliss. Its not just the weight, I think it changes how I run. In any case I am at 35 runs and 292km.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 12, 20 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m on a run streak since 2 November, so made it to 40 consecutive days today. My body is holding up surprisingly well also after I started to increase the intensity ever so slightly and the mileage the last two weeks. It’s a really nice comeback after being sidelined from running for several months earlier this year after a meniscus tear.

December is miserable weather-wise in southern Sweden right now. The sun is supposed to rise at ~09 and set at 15:40, which is bad in itself. To make things worse, it’s been cloudy all December and not a single minute of sunshine... And since the temperature stays a few degrees above zero there is only rain, no snow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StaffanS wrote:
I’m on a run streak since 2 November, so made it to 40 consecutive days today. My body is holding up surprisingly well also after I started to increase the intensity ever so slightly and the mileage the last two weeks. It’s a really nice comeback after being sidelined from running for several months earlier this year after a meniscus tear.

December is miserable weather-wise in southern Sweden right now. The sun is supposed to rise at ~09 and set at 15:40, which is bad in itself. To make things worse, it’s been cloudy all December and not a single minute of sunshine... And since the temperature stays a few degrees above zero there is only rain, no snow.

that's great! i'm not on a good consecutive streak myself; i think i've missed 8 or 9 days since the challenge got going. i have some hope of getting strong enough to start doing some doubles and catching back up. either way, i'm getting more run fit, and that's the point. keep it going!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(General reply) What are people using for schedules? What’s your progression?

Im currently on:
Mon: 3
Tues: 10
Wed: 5-7 with some speed (feel way better with something like 4x800 @ 5k pace in the mix)
Thurs: 10
Fri: 3
Sat: 8-15 (can get out to some fun place so go for elevation (views!) over distance)
Sun: 2x3 just to keep up with you double a-holes ;-)

Don’t actually plan on changing this at all through the 100, just going to carry the rhythm through. What are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally mine looks like:

M: 7
T: 10... Mona fartlek
W: 7
R: 10... Mile repeats
F: 7
S: 16... Hill bounding
S: 3

That varies sometimes, and was a little different this week.

M: 3
T: 3+10
W: 3.5+4.5
R: 3+12
F: 4.5
S: 15?
S: 3 ish

Tuesday I was feeling frisky. So I did an extra at lunch before my hard run in the evening. That, of course flowed into Wednesday where I wasn't in the mood for my normal 7. So, I split it into two... To make 8. :=). Rinse and repeat for Thursday / Friday.... Except that I ran out of time for another double day.
Tomorrow's hill-bounding long run may be interesting.

Maybe Sunday I'll do another 4x. :o) which will make Monday a measly 3mi single to recover.

Eta: somewhere along the way, I may throw down a week of challenge runs just to see what's possible.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 11, 20 19:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe Sunday I'll do another 4x. :o)

You sonofa. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The conservative nature of a Canadian Hydrosloth.

Decided to be low key about my participation in this thing.

Damn near broke my foot on Halloween (don't ask), took a week off of running.

Have been running ever since.... and that was on Nov. 7.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TomkR wrote:
Quote:
Maybe Sunday I'll do another 4x. :o)

You sonofa. ;)

I did 5x today - it was a good training day.

Most I’ve ever done was 6x in a day last year (loud whisper :P) and I remember that last one being hard.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I went for 23 runs in 28 days in my first 100/100 challenge. I was excited to do more, but my wife and I signed up for a 50k and after a week I realized that long runs, cross training, and rest days don't exactly fit well with this challenge.

I am going to bow out now and take the loss this year. I am excited for this to come around again next year and hopefully I will be in a better place to go all the way.

Best of luck to everyone! Keep on grinding away!
Quote Reply

Prev Next