Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian.

1) BB to middle top of saddle is 730mm.
2) Pad Y of 560mm is what I want (that already includes the 35mm of spacers I currently have in)
3 a) Yes
b) Yes
c) No, the Speedmax CF 8 DISC Di2 rather than the SLX (the new SLX are too expensive for me unfortunately!). I'm not sure if the new CF geometry is different to the old CF geometry or not. If it hasn't changed, this will be the same as 'a'.

Thanks!
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
What would you prescribe for a CF 7/8?

Pad x 490 (to center)
Pad y 650

Thanks,
L
Last edited by: GuidoDoc: Dec 2, 20 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [alexandra_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian.

1) BB to middle top of saddle is 730mm.
2) Pad Y of 560mm is what I want (that already includes the 35mm of spacers I currently have in)
3 a) Yes
b) Yes
c) No, the Speedmax CF 8 DISC Di2 rather than the SLX (the new SLX are too expensive for me unfortunately!). I'm not sure if the new CF geometry is different to the old CF geometry or not. If it hasn't changed, this will be the same as 'a'.

Alex,
For the Speedmax CF rim brake bike.... the XS is not an option (seat height won't work, Pad X won't work). The Small has an issue too - namely you'd need a 140mm stem to get your Pad X of 485. The Medium starts to make the X work but just gets silly elsewhere with seat height barely squeaking by and we'd need a seriously negative stem to get to the Y. It just seem like too much of a struggle to make this particular bike work. This is true for the new CF disc brake bike. Those bikes are simply not long enough to work for you.

For the Speedmax SLX rim brake bike... THIS IS THE BIKE FOR YOU! You need a size small. The seat height makes it. The reach/Pad X, not only makes it but it's perfect with the short stem that comes stock on this bike, AND you have room to tweak for perfection: 32mm back (shorter cockpit) or 22mm forward (longer cockpit). The Pad Y will need to be SLAMMED all the way to the very bottom of this bike's limits and that will result in 565 - so that's 5mm up from where you're riding now but..... you asked about the tilt of the aerobars - you have two choices 0 and 7 degrees. I suspect when you select the 7 degree tilt (and, based on pics I know you will) then I think you'll have your Pad Y of 560. You also asked about the pad width and I think (again, based on pics) your desire is narrow - I think the stock bits will go narrower than your current position (quite certain of it) but if not - I'm sure you an employ a Canyon aftermarket item called TSP (Team Switch Plate) to draw them closer.

Get back to me here with more questions. Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [GuidoDoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Pad x 490 (to center)
Pad y 650

L,

May I have your seat height please (center of BB to top of saddle)

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

So the new Speedmax CFR Disc has piqued my interest, but I'm a bit concerned/confused when looking at the numbers compared to where I am at now on my P5 (rim) bike. If this is not the thread for the new bike, just let me know. Thx.

Current Bike and Fit
56cm P5. Original rim brake model. I run it with the Alpha One. Since Canyon's geometry table measures to the back of the pad for pad reach, I went ahead and measured my fit the same way and I get 510 for pad reach and 620 for pad stack. I do run the pads in the forward position on the Alpha One, but even if I moved them back to the "neutral" position, that would only take the pads back 20mm and I would still be at 490 for pad reach. Here is a photo of my Alpha One:

I don't have any static photos of my fit, but here is a video:
https://vimeo.com/394786941/3798f8906d

I'm guessing you'll note that my upper arm is not aimed straight down, but I've found that the extra reach helps me more comfortably narrow my elbow (my shoulders are a bit wide unfortunately), and with tilt at the pads, I get that "locked in" feeling. But even if I moved to the "neutral" position on the Alpha One pads, I would still be at 490 for reach (again, measuring to the back per the Canyon geometry table).

Attempting to Fit the Speedmax
At a height of 6'0", it would seem the Medium Speedmax would be the right size. But the Medium shows a pad stack range of 581-691mm (I'm good there, since I'm at 620) and a pad reach range of 408-463mm (this is a problem with my 510 reach). So I'm short 47mm from my current (forward) position, 27mm compared to the Alpha One "neutral" position, and 7mm compared to the Alpha One "rearward" position. So it seems like the Speedmax just doesn't have enough reach for me.

What About a Large for More Reach?
Even if I look at a size Large, I see a pad reach range of 430-484mm. Even all the way forward, I'm 26mm short of my current position. The Large Speedmax can (almost) mimic the "neutral" position of the Alpha One, but even then I'm a bit short (which in fairness is probably NBD). So maybe the Large could be made to work as far as reach, but I don't think the Large works for me (not surprising given my height) for at least two reasons. First, the pad stack range is 619-729mm, so I would have no room to go lower from my current 620mm. And with my seat height of 765mm (BB to top of saddle), I don't think I could get my seat low enough, as the minimum seat height for the Large is 755mm (BB to saddle rails), and my saddle (and I think all others) has more than 10mm of "saddle stack." OK sure I can cut the seatpost, and that's NBD, but the need to do that just underscores that I don't think I really fit on a Large.

Confused by Canyon's Geometry Table
So unless I have missed something, does the new Speedmax really have that much less reach than my P5/Alpha One? This is the part where I start getting confused. Looking at frame stack and reach, I see 540/425 for the P5 and 489/438 for the Speedmax. The stack number for the Speedmax doesn't make any sense to me (and neither frame stack (I) or frame reach (J) are labeled in the geometry graphic, they are just numbers in the table), because with its flush top tube/base bar, wouldn't we expect the Speedmax to have more frame stack than the P5? Or put another way, if the pad stack range of the Speedmax is 619-729mm, how does that make any sense with a frame stack of 489mm? 130mm of stack even when the monopost is "slammed?" And 240mm of monopost at the upper stack limit? That doesn't seem right. It may be as simple as the frame stack being mislabeled as 489mm when it should be 589mm (and that would make a lot more sense, with pads 30mm above the base bar when slammed and 140mm at the top of the adjustment range), but I'm now a bit mistrustful of the frame reach number as well (and potentially the other numbers in the chart, including the all-important pad stack and reach).

Is the answer as simple as the P5 I have being a longer bike, when paired with a "mainsteam" cockpit like the Alpha One with its 90mm "stem length" and that unless I bring by elbows way back, the new Speedmax is just going to be too short for me?

Robert

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Dec 3, 20 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. My only concern with what you've said is if you're talking about the old CF in that first part - I know it can work because I've done it with my current XS CF, using a 120mm -17 stem and the elbow pads as far forward as I could get them. Maybe my measurements aren't exactly what you think?

My concern with the SLX elbow pads is whether I could get them wide enough but it sounds like you don't think that would be a problem.

Thanks
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Robert,

So happy to get a chance to help you here. I'd like NOTHING more than to see you rolling PCH through Malibu on a new Canyon Speedmax CFR or CFR SLX.

Let's cut right to the chase here: you ride long. You also ride kinda low, but very long. That's probably because of a combination of issues: morphology that speaks to a long position (longish torso) + perched toward the front of your saddle + this desire to ride with your arms farther out front....and I'll just add this for others who may read and learn from these posts: in terms of your position...I had already seen that video (super cool), but it was nice to have a refresher. Your shoulder angle is a bit unorthodox for a long course triathlon position but a) that's not what you race and b) I'm assuming you've arrived at your position in a well thought manner and if that's true (sounds like it is) then, this is your spot and I respect that.

You've given me everything thing I need to prescribe: 1) a good position, 2) Pad X , 3) Pad Y, and 4) seat height .
1) A good position as discussed above.
2) I have no hesitation working towards a Pad X that is 510-490.
3) The Pad Y of 620.
4) The seat height is 765

Here's the one critical piece of info that I can give you. Both the high end, new disc brake bikes (CFR and SLX) have two different cockpits (one piece: stem + base bar). A short one with a 65mm stem and a long one with an 85mm stem. The expectation, the hope, the intention is that you can purchase a Speedmax CFR size medium in February AND buy the long cockpit at the same moment and then you'd have a bike that ...meets your seat height (with room to move), meets your Pad Y (with room to add in tilt and move), and goes out to 483 in Pad X ending up ~7mm short of the neutral position. Which, could mean it's doable with your elbows interact with the pad is a slightly different spot.

As to the confusion on the geometry chart... I think maybe what's happening is that you got some numbers crossed between sizes. Super easy to do in this process. If would be better if the sizing header remined visible when we scroll down to look at the details...

Quote:
if the pad stack range of the Speedmax is 619-729mm, how does that make any sense with a frame stack of 489mm?
The Pad Y range of the size Large is 619-729 and the Stack of the size Medium is 489.

Eager to discuss more with you here anytime.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [alexandra_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian. My only concern with what you've said is if you're talking about the old CF in that first part - I know it can work because I've done it with my current XS CF, using a 120mm -17 stem and the elbow pads as far forward as I could get them. Maybe my measurements aren't exactly what you think?
My concern with the SLX elbow pads is whether I could get them wide enough but it sounds like you don't think that would be a problem.
Thanks
Alex

Alex,
If you come to me (and, I hope any fitter) and say "Here are my fit coordinates and I want to know which Canyon Speedmax is best for me: the rim brake SLX, the rim brake CF or the new disc brake CF". The answer, as you well know is that the CF could fit you but a 120+ mm stem on an XS bike is not optimal - especially when you've got this XLS rim brake bike as an option where the fit is so right.

Thank you for clarifying the pad width question. From the pics it looks like your current pad width (center to center) 20cm. I'm confident that we can get that and more if we use the TSP.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx Ian! You're right, I'm not doing long-course TTs, and (like most roadies) I don't ride my TT bike nearly often enough, and so am under no illusions that I have a perfect fit. But I am able to ride that position for 3-4 hour training rides, only coming out of aero for corners, stops, etc, so it doesn't feel radical or anything. I think I'll move the pads back 20mm and see how that works this weekend. And I'm guessing that even if I needed bit more reach than is possible with the stock Canyon cockpit, simply modding or using some different arm cups would do the trick. Or a custom cockpit!

On a couple specific points you shared:

ianpeace wrote:
Here's the one critical piece of info that I can give you. Both the high end, new disc brake bikes (CFR and SLX) have two different cockpits (one piece: stem + base bar). A short one with a 65mm stem and a long one with an 85mm stem.

Aha! Yes, this would make a huge difference in my situation and I would definitely opt for the longer option. I had not seen that mentioned anywhere, including the Canyon website, so thx for the inside scoop. I know supply chains and logistics have become super-challenged by Covid, and so hopefully Canyon can work this out soon. I also see that in the US, the CFR will only be offered in one color (Dark Chrome) while if I am in Mexico I can get that color or this sweet Blue Chrome:

But who knows, maybe that will change over the next couple months as Canyon gears up to ship bikes.

ianpeace wrote:
As to the confusion on the geometry chart... I think maybe what's happening is that you got some numbers crossed between sizes. Super easy to do in this process. If would be better if the sizing header remined visible when we scroll down to look at the details...

You're right! On the Medium, it's frame stack of 489mm with pad stack range of 581-691mm. 92mm still seems like a lot in a slammed position, but no mind, at 620mm I would be right in the sweet spot!

Thx again! We'll see where this leads...

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Dec 3, 20 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, appreciate the assistance! 🙂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry missed that.

BB to top of saddle is 745

Thanks again,
Lee

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Pad x 490 (to center)
Pad y 650

L,

May I have your seat height please (center of BB to top of saddle)

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good god that blue bike is stunning!!!!

I like that link to the custom cockpit. Canyon is headed down that path with these add-ons for the Speedmax

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [GuidoDoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lee,

For your details... SH 745, Pad Y 650, Pad X 490 with an eye to the new disc brake CF...

The medium will work - with the 80mm stem that comes stock, the only hesitation is that there will be very little seat post exposed and one of the bottle bosses that is in the back of the post will be down in the frame so if you wanted to run a behind-the-seat bottle set up you'd need to use the standard rail-mount item. Not a deal breaker, it's a good option.

I like this option more - a size small: the seat height is great, those bosses are back in play. The arm pad elevation is great, nearly dead center in the range with lots of room to move up and down for perfection. The Pad X won't happen with the 70mm stem that comes stock. BUT, if you swapped that out for a 100mm stem you'd have it set up perfectly. Canyon doesn't make a 100mm stem for this bike but pretty much everyone else does since the steer tube is standard 1 & 1/8in and the base bar is standard 31.8. I like the look of the Profile Design Aeria stem on here but you could anything.

Get back to me here with questions, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thanks for so much info so quickly.
ianpeace wrote:
Lee,

For your details... SH 745, Pad Y 650, Pad X 490 with an eye to the new disc brake CF...

The medium will work - with the 80mm stem that comes stock, the only hesitation is that there will be very little seat post exposed and one of the bottle bosses that is in the back of the post will be down in the frame so if you wanted to run a behind-the-seat bottle set up you'd need to use the standard rail-mount item. Not a deal breaker, it's a good option.

I like this option more - a size small: the seat height is great, those bosses are back in play. The arm pad elevation is great, nearly dead center in the range with lots of room to move up and down for perfection. The Pad X won't happen with the 70mm stem that comes stock. BUT, if you swapped that out for a 100mm stem you'd have it set up perfectly. Canyon doesn't make a 100mm stem for this bike but pretty much everyone else does since the steer tube is standard 1 & 1/8in and the base bar is standard 31.8. I like the look of the Profile Design Aeria stem on here but you could anything.

Get back to me here with questions, Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks Ian, appreciate the assistance! 🙂

Anytime Alex, get back to me here if you have questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you for further questions. I have bought the Speedmax CF 8.0 a few months back but just gotten it onto the trainer last night.
I have changed the cranks for 165mm as you suggested to me. I was playing around with the saddle height to try and find a sweetspot. As yet i have not changed the stem yet from the 80mm one provided.
After my first shot on the trainer with the bike last night i was finding getting into the aero bars for more than a few minutes at a time pretty draining on my arms. Do i need to use some of the spacers to fix this issue and transfer the pressure into my shoulder area?

Is there anyway i could send you a short clip of my current position on the bike for you to give any comments / advice with regards to my setup?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by: Shetlander31: Dec 6, 20 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Here's another one for you... fairly certain I fit the "alien build": long legs, long arms, short torso.

Here are some dimensions from my most recent fit:
1) BB to middle top of saddle - 835mm
2) Saddle tip to center of handlebar - 585mm
3) Drop from saddle to pad top - 95mm
4) Saddle tip to aerobar tip - 860mm

I'm considering the Speedmax CF 8 DISC. My two biggest concerns are:
(1) Is there an option that will work with the pad drop? Based off my initial review of the geometry chart, I'm going to need all of the spacers, and it will still be close!
(2) Are the aerobars long enough?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Appreciate your help with sizing for the CF 8.0 Di2.

My case is somewhat similar to Lee but even longer reach.

Height 175
BB to Saddle 73.5
PadX 54
PadY 64
crank 16.5

I do have short legs and long torso (thanks Dad!) so fitting between S and M has been a struggle. I saw you recommendation to Lee but I feel wouldn’t have enough reach with a S.

Also I noticed the jump in minimum saddle height from S to M is due to a much longer seat post - 350mm M vs 270mm. Are they interchangeable? Assuming Canyon wouldn’t sell the 270mm with a M?

I ride at the moment on a profile design t1+ with pads all the way forward and feel unstable at times (as you mentioned before on another reply), hence I am favouring the M size , just not sure about the saddle height. Don’t mind missing out on the bottle adaptor.

Thanks for your help!

Gil
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Shetlander31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you for further questions. I have bought the Speedmax CF 8.0 a few months back but just gotten it onto the trainer last night.
I have changed the cranks for 165mm as you suggested to me. I was playing around with the saddle height to try and find a sweetspot. As yet i have not changed the stem yet from the 80mm one provided.
After my first shot on the trainer with the bike last night i was finding getting into the aero bars for more than a few minutes at a time pretty draining on my arms. Do i need to use some of the spacers to fix this issue and transfer the pressure into my shoulder area?

Is there anyway i could send you a short clip of my current position on the bike for you to give any comments / advice with regards to my setup?

Thanks in advance

Shetlander31,

You bet... I'd really like to see you on the bike (no a trainer is best) and a quick video at exact profile. If you can't do video then a few pics would be great. And, my preference is that you post them here in this thread (my preference), then send 'em over to ian at TeamTTS dot com. As I noted in our exchange on post 739 of this thread on pg 30 you probably need that 90mm stem to get comfortable - my guess is that it's your triceps in particular that get tight/tired in that position and that's where the longer cockpit will help.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to attached a short clip to this post but it is saying that it exceeds the maximum file size. Tried to reduce the file size but having very limited success. I have sent you an email to the address you provided. You might have better software that allows for the file to be put on here

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am currently looking at Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2. I am torn between the small and the medium. My measurements for my road bike are below. It's currently set up in a more "relaxed" position, so I could probably stretch my position out some more.

Pad Y: 685 mm
Pad X: 463 mm
Seat Height: 749 mm

Based on the dimensions on Canyon's website I feel like I could make the Pad X/Y work for either the small or the medium, but I am concerned about the seat height as I would either be close to the maximum on the small or near the minimum on the medium. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,
CJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks in advance

Shetlander31,

You bet... I'd really like to see you on the bike (no a trainer is best) and a quick video at exact profile. If you can't do video then a few pics would be great. And, my preference is that you post them here in this thread (my preference), then send 'em over to ian at TeamTTS dot com. As I noted in our exchange on post 739 of this thread on pg 30 you probably need that 90mm stem to get comfortable - my guess is that it's your triceps in particular that get tight/tired in that position and that's where the longer cockpit will help.

Ian

Think i have managed to upload a very compressed file there, hope its not too grainy. I have sent the original file to the email you provided
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

my name is Arne and I´m from Berlin/Germany.

I have a bike-fitting/size problem that may be also of general interest, so I post it here on the Forum.

I'm currantly riding a road-bike with clip-ons but looking forward to buying my first tri-bike early 2021.

On the Canyon Website (by numbers) I am exacly between size S and M for the new Speedmax Disc.

I have consulted two Bike-fitters.
The first one put my saddle on my road bike about 4cm backward to solve my knee issues and recommends size M for the new Canyon: Hight-relations on size S would be too agressive for me, he said.
The Second one did just a "loose fit"; It was not a real bike-fit but a session to try out bikes from different bike-manufacturers. He just made it work for me to take a short test ride round the block. But: all Bikes (Cervelo, Argon18, Felt, Giant) were Size S or 51. He said S is clearly in general the right size for me.

So what do you think?

I am 175cm high with an inseam of 85cm. 51 yrs old. Long limbs, short Torso. With short upper Arms...
Saddle hight from center of BB to top of Saddle is: 74,2cm
Armpad-stack is 650mm
Armpad-Reach is 455mm (side twds. rider), 460 (middle of pad).

With greetings from Germany and thank you very much in advance!
arne
Last edited by: Schneum: Dec 10, 20 2:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the rim brake Speedmax CF. Can you offer fit assistance for:

Pad Stack = 750
Center of Pad Reach = 500

I'm 6'4" with long legs, FYI.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently riding a Jamis Comet that I bought in 2018 for $300 to get into the sport. It's a 58 and my GURU fitter told me it's too big. I'm looking at the CF8 Di2. I've attached the GURU report. I'm 72" tall and have a 32" inseam.

Last edited by: monty816: Dec 13, 20 7:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next