Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is this a terrible idea?
Quote | Reply
So I want to buy the new Canyon Speedmax but funds are a problem. I have a 6 year old TT bike and a 5 year old road bike that if I sold both would pretty much cover the price of the Speedmax.

Would selling both bikes and having just the Speedmax as a 'one bike fits all' be a crazy option? I know this is a totally emotive decision as the Speedmax offers little additional benefit to that of my old TT bike but....the heart wants what the heart wants...
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I would miss my road bike if I only had a tri-bike to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marketing at its finest!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would hate only having a TT bike...

Do you do group rides? Race on the road? Enjoy leisurely paced stuff?

If any of those apply, I would keep the road bike and wait til you can swing the Canyon
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

If any of those apply, I would keep the road bike and wait til you can swing the Canyon

I enjoy riding my TT bike as much as my roadie. I do groups rides but figured I could sit on the front or well of the back, either way I do need to spend more time on the TT bike for IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Marketing at its finest!

Maybe..maybe...really though are any of the bikes from the last 10 years 'that' much better than their predecessors, we should all just be riding old second hand P2/3's etc..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a TT bike only for a few years. Then I got a road bike. Now I'll never go back to only riding a TT bike.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I had a TT bike only for a few years. Then I got a road bike. Now I'll never go back to only riding a TT bike.

^^^^ this. Best cycling decision I ever made was having a roadie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:

I enjoy riding my TT bike as much as my roadie. I do groups rides but figured I could sit on the front or well of the back, either way I do need to spend more time on the TT bike for IM.

It's worth mentioning that a few years ago, there was an article by Rapp in which he essentially argued that it's better to ride a road bike than it is to ride a TT bike on the bull bars. Reason being that the geometry of a proper road fit mimics cycling in aero on a TT bike than riding upright on a TT bike does. So if your justification for the new TT bike is "more time on the TT bike," I'd reconsider, at least if you plan on doing group rides not in aero as a sizeable portion of that volume.

Additionally, riding upright on a TT bike is mighty uncomfortable. I rode with my mom last week while I was visiting her, and all I had was the tri bike. After 40 minutes upright, my shoulders and arms were not happy.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOLO as the kids say nowadays

Can you quantify what you hoping to get with the speedmax? Can you put a price tag per watts compared to what you have right now?
Or you hoping to climb up the social ladder on slowtwitch and at your next race?
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
YOLO as the kids say nowadays

Can you quantify what you hoping to get with the speedmax? Can you put a price tag per watts compared to what you have right now?
Or you hoping to climb up the social ladder on slowtwitch and at your next race?

Lol I think I would be falling down the social ladder with this purchase and would cop endless taunts of being a dentist...

No real expectations of increased watts, like I said I don't believe there has really been any significant improvement in the TT bikes over the last 10 years. I do however have thoughts of maximising on the resale of my existing rim brake bikes before everything unfortunately goes disc.

Other than that I like the adjustability of the speedmax and of course the looks. I'm under no illusions its definitely a want not a need.

I guess the real question is a TT bike doable on group rides-can you sit on the front in aero, sit off the back in aero and make do with the base bar in traffic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do group rides I think it's important to keep a road bike, especially if you ride with roadies. You know, they dont really like triathletes in general. Or it's jealousy because they cant swim or run, I dont know.

Can't you sell only your current TT bike and keep the road bike? Find something else to sell!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1.

I only own a Tri bike. Sold my road bike a few years ago as it was collecting dust in the garage and I never road it. I prefer my tri bike for the riding I do which is mostly on the trainer or outside by myself.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 For outdoor riding, maybe my split is 90% TT bike and 10% roadie so I've thought about a unique bike as well.

Then I realized that my deep section carbon rim brake wheels are not the best for windy or wet conditions (hills are not a problem). The TT bike is also more demanding... Even on the easiest days I tend to "rest" less with it.

Maybe a Speedmax with disc brakes would solve part of the problem, because I'd still need a set of low profile disc brake wheels for excessive windy conditions.

Or just the Speedmax disc brakes and an affordable gravel bike with two sets of wheels, a road set for group rides (my group rides are with less-trained friends) and a set for trail.

That's my 2022-2023 project haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered the speedmax and I totally get the emotional/marketing/to be laughed at feeling by Slowtwitch feeling I had when I saw the bike. After 2 years of window shopping, I clicked buy on Nov 19.

That said, Canyon may be helping you out here....expected ship dates are now into March and in many cases May/June owing to the demand. So you can buy now and pay 2 weeks before they ship it if you feel you can save the cash you would need for it. Not that I'm recommending financing a bike, but they do seem to offer that to customers in certain markets but I'm not sure.

All that said, there is no way I would want to be down to one bike. Rainy days when you don't want to take your pride and joy out are what older bikes are meant for. And when your whip needs maintenance before a race and you still need to train. Selling the bikes used for cash for the Speedmax just means you are going to be paying a premium again for a new bike in the future, or buying on the used market and hoping the one you buy has been cared for in the way you care for your bikes. I'd keep them.

You still have 2 kidneys right? dunno, you know what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrendous idea!

As much as I like the look of the Speedmax, there's no way any minor improvements in performance over an even half decent 6 year old bike, will compensate for any compromises you have to make for it to become your "one bike fits all". Nevermind the fact you'll be without a road bike. It's not your heart that wants the Speedmax. It's tech-lust. It is an illusion and will lead you astray. Don't let it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
So I want to buy the new Canyon Speedmax but funds are a problem. I have a 6 year old TT bike and a 5 year old road bike that if I sold both would pretty much cover the price of the Speedmax.

Would selling both bikes and having just the Speedmax as a 'one bike fits all' be a crazy option? I know this is a totally emotive decision as the Speedmax offers little additional benefit to that of my old TT bike but....the heart wants what the heart wants...

Is this actually a "TT" bike or is this a "triathlon" bike setup?

Don't know about you but I wouldn't wish my TT bike position on a 1/2 IM participant. It's good for an hour, and that's what it's meant for.

All that to say..........the road bike is a must have to generate volume. I do higher intensity on the TT bike itself usually because it just isn't comfortable enough to do 3 hours on it nonstop. Two hours yesterday was my limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were forced to have just one bike, it would be my roadie and a set of clipons, set up ITU style with di2 and satellite shifters on the clipons.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
My n=1.

I only own a Tri bike. Sold my road bike a few years ago as it was collecting dust in the garage and I never road it. I prefer my tri bike for the riding I do which is mostly on the trainer or outside by myself.

This. Used to ride TT on turbo and races and road on, well, the road. More time on turbo even at weekends because it is a more efficient use of limited time meant I used my caad12 disc maybe twice a year, so sold it. The argument about hip angle TT Vs Road.... Not sure on this. Just get a lower base bar on the TT bike so it maintains hip angle and saddle interaction? To be comfortable on the TT bike means time on it at all intensities, much easier to do if you only have the one bike to choose from!

Caveat, I do however have an XC hardtail for another riding option. I don't miss the road bike as I don't group ride. I think fundamentally I must be anti-social!
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
stevej wrote:
My n=1.

This. Used to ride TT on turbo and races and road on, well, the road. More time on turbo even at weekends because it is a more efficient use of limited time meant I used my caad12 disc maybe twice a year, so sold it. The argument about hip angle TT Vs Road.... Not sure on this. Just get a lower base bar on the TT bike so it maintains hip angle and saddle interaction? To be comfortable on the TT bike means time on it at all intensities, much easier to do if you only have the one bike to choose from!

Caveat, I do however have an XC hardtail for another riding option. I don't miss the road bike as I don't group ride. I think fundamentally I must be anti-social!

I think a road bike makes sense for the folks who spend more time on base bars of their tri bike. But then I would question why are they spending so much time on the base bars?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Wurf and Kienle, 2 guys who know how to ride their tri bike, use a road bike most of the time. I think a weekly tri bike ride is what Wurf does on average. And that is indeed for faster efforts. Riding slow is much easier with a road bike.

I'm pretty good at bike handling (doing bike races before tris) and I'd never take my TT bike in the bunch even if I am comfortable with myself and the guys from my cycling club. Unless it's for that challenge of TT vs group of 3-4 riders that was mentioned in another topic here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Speedmax is my only bike, now that my wife has taken over my road bike. I don't do group rides, so I can't comment on that aspect.

I bought a cheap pair of Shimano alloy wheels for training, I spend most of my miles on the trainer. But, in the summer I do my long rides on non-motorized paths (Chicago). I do not like riding the TT bike with vehicle traffic, so if you are in an area where that is the type of riding available, that would give me pause.

Otherwise, I really like spending time on the TT bike, getting on the aero bars whenever I can, using the same hydration locations I use in-race, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
I think a road bike makes sense for the folks who spend more time on base bars of their tri bike. But then I would question why are they spending so much time on the base bars?[/quote]
Because they don't spend enough time riding the TT bike as they are always on the road bike!

I don't think you can use Kienle and Wurf as examples as they don't have limited riding time like the rest of us.

To the OP, get the speedmax and adjust the type of rides you do. Buy another road bike if you feel you need one once covid is fully over and the market is saturated with lightly used road and gravel bikes that people are no longer using because they are back in offices, restaurants and bars!
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a terrible idea? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Marketing at its finest!

Agreed. And also agree the same for disc brakes on a TT bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next