Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
synthetic wrote:

in non carbon shoes i hope? I will not use them

Definitely not in carbon shoes! I view all shoes as an unfair advantage, so will be going barefoot with a small amount of spray flex seal on my sole to represent a true and natural runner.

Did Wiley Coyote ACME brand spring shoes get banned from the 100/100 and also subsequent Kipchoge real events?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just want your legs to apply the same forces as you need for the 1 mile frequently but in spaced out doses and not go into too much aerobic distress (because that is when you get injured).

Also for the cardio load side since you will need to race at 5.3 meters per second. you can also go on the bike and try too do some intervals at 5.3W per kilo in 1 min, 2 min and 5 min segments.

Another workout, during 100/100 on treadmill would be:

5 min warmup, then 5x1 min @7% grade at 7 mph, with 1 min rest at zero, then 7x1 min @12.5% grade at 7-7.5mph with 1 min at the same speed. This would be 1400m to 1500m VAM during the work intervals which is harder than 5.3W per kilo so you will be working the push off side at higher than the aerobic workload.

Once you can do the hill workout in 1 min intervals, then you can do 5 min at the right VAM which gives you the same workload at 5.3m per second for 1600m (5 min mile). This may be a good way for you to get ready on the treadmill, however like most STers who never use grade, you won't get credit for distance since you will be going slow going up steep hills. If you go to the gym, almost no one is using grade because they don't get credit for distance. Its totally under utilized.

Go have fun with incline!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody else getting a “rate limit exceeded“ error when they try to sync Strava data to ST training today?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Anybody else getting a “rate limit exceeded“ error when they try to sync Strava data to ST training today?

It happens every once in a while when everyone is trying to sync at once. Give it a few minutes and try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tom - thanks to your tip I tried again after about 1/2 hr and it worked. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
plant_based wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Definitely not in carbon shoes! I view all shoes as an unfair advantage, so will be going barefoot with a small amount of spray flex seal on my sole to represent a true and natural runner.

Did Wiley Coyote ACME brand spring shoes get banned from the 100/100 and also subsequent Kipchoge real events?

Makes the challenge of time irrelevant.. 4:40 mechanically doped mile = 5:00 normal effort. See what happened to nick symmonds on YouTube... 4:3x to 3:54 by putting on the shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
plant_based wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Makes the challenge of time irrelevant.. 4:40 mechanically doped mile = 5:00 normal effort. See what happened to nick symmonds on YouTube... 4:3x to 3:54 by putting on the shoes

I can't take the brutal contrarian irony. A username "synthetic" won't use synthetically produced carbon-plated shoes because it's "doping". When in fact the World Athletics global governing body set forth rules that the Next% conform too, so the shoe is 100% "legal" the opposite of doping. You should change your username to "Contrarian" cause all you do is literally contradict yourself - LoL!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody mentioned spring shoes - or boots. Saw two women in West Vanc out on them- they look pretty cool, like inlines.

I need to get a pair. My leg /Achilles injured since July, finally healed up for this and feels good, getting better.
But now it's the lower heel area that has flared up on same leg.

Is anyone hardly able to walk 1st thing out of bed in the morning?
From there it takes ~1/2 hour to loosen up and get going.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here was yesterday's workout. I ended up with two runs that would have been two drives if not for 100/100

30 min run to the pool and 32 min run back on 100/100 program. I had to sacrifice a bit of my swim time to get the first run in so only had 45 min for the swim.

warmup
5x50 as 25 fly, 12.5 dolphin kick on back, 12.5m back

Main set

• 100 free-400IM-100 free-200 fly
  • 100 free-400IM-100 free-200 fly
  • 200 free cooldown (or not die)

Needless to say the run back from the pool was not too energetic after the swim intervals and I realized that was 1:45 with no food or water.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
DAY 17, PALOMAR MT. ,CA

good to see you still chugging along buddy. must be cold up there now. i always thought of running up mt palomar as a half marathon attempt
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

My knee has been like that for a year or so. Feels like shit for the first 2-3km, then its absolutely fine and I can run 20k and feel no ill effects.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

My knee has been like that for a year or so. Feels like shit for the first 2-3km, then its absolutely fine and I can run 20k and feel no ill effects.

I changed my strategy this year. I used to hate and avoided running on a treadmill. However, with Zwift, I actually enjoy it. This year I'm doing 2 runs on the treadmill for every 1 run outside. I actually feel really good so far and haven't missed a day. My goal is to just hit 100/00, don't care about overall miles or pace.

I have found, working from home now, it's so much easier to keep up with a run a day.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
plant_based wrote:

I’m trying to break the 5min mile too - maybe Dec 19 in Jacksonville FL.

i see your treadmill work outs. hopefully you are running at 1* or greater. if are doing 5:50 pace for 3 miles seems you are there. 20 min tempo at 6:00 seems to be one marker workout per my reading.

who cares if he does - the clock doesn't care...

550 5k does not translate to a sub 5 1 mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:

Who cares if I use fins for the swim or ebike for cycling. It's the clock that matters , right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Who cares if I use fins for the swim or ebike for cycling. It's the clock that matters , right?

That's a false equivalence...especially the ebike. Its more akin to using very low friction parts....eg, ceramic bearings, specially treated chains, etc...than it is to battery assisted power generation. They don't GIVE you energy....they just "take less away".
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:

Yeah it’s definitely faster than 5:50. The chart I have shows a 5:26/mi 5K for a 4:59 mile.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Dec 4, 20 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While its great to see the people with more than 1 run per day (some with more than 2) and some really fast people too, you all are amazing and encouraging!!! I've managed a run each day (avg distance 3.5 miles, avg pace 9:59.) Looking at the challenge by pace, the top 200 are under a 9:59 avg, and the top 64 have done more than 1 run per day. You guys keep me challenged and encouraged. I'm keeping this as I'm building a very strong base through consistency, and as part of that keeping a watch on my HR and efforts.

So to those of you that like me, aren't tearing it up on pace or on run count, I congratulate you on what you've done in the first 20 days, and I encourage you to keep at it! We are 20% of the way to the end .... almost there and looking good ... hahaha. Seriously though, keep at it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Well I bet you use aero wheels and a wetsuit - those certainly add more benefit!

Anyways - love this challenge!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
While its great to see the people with more than 1 run per day (some with more than 2) and some really fast people too, you all are amazing and encouraging!!! I've managed a run each day (avg distance 3.5 miles, avg pace 9:59.) Looking at the challenge by pace, the top 200 are under a 9:59 avg, and the top 64 have done more than 1 run per day. You guys keep me challenged and encouraged. I'm keeping this as I'm building a very strong base through consistency, and as part of that keeping a watch on my HR and efforts.

So to those of you that like me, aren't tearing it up on pace or on run count, I congratulate you on what you've done in the first 20 days, and I encourage you to keep at it! We are 20% of the way to the end .... almost there and looking good ... hahaha. Seriously though, keep at it!

That's GREAT! That's exactly what this is all about....building resilience through frequency and consistency. Less is more => run less, more often. More is more => a little more, more often is MORE. Then you have this robust platform to build even more on top of.

Keep it up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
triczyk wrote:

Yeah it’s definitely faster than 5:50. The chart I have shows a 5:26/mi 5K for a 4:59 mile.

Sub 5min mile is hard! You can do it
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
triczyk wrote:

That's a false equivalence...especially the ebike. Its more akin to using very low friction parts....eg, ceramic bearings, specially treated chains, etc...than it is to battery assisted power generation. They don't GIVE you energy....they just "take less away".

i meant e-assist style bike which most ebikes are. still have to pedal, just not as hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you guys still arguing about this......wait nevermind this is slowtwitch 🤦‍♂️
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not arguing..... You're arguing! /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
triczyk wrote:

That chart is almost 100% true for me. My fastest true 5k was 5:26 pace and at that point I was running in the 4:5X range.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday’s run was the first real slog so far of the Challenge. Didn’t help that it was raining and really slippery but i got my 5 km in. Surprised to see how slow it was 7min/km. Afterwards i was thinking maybe my body needs a rest.

Went out today any way for 11 km and averaged 6:03/km (which is about as fast as ive been in a year).

What a difference a day makes.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply

Prev Next