Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well since you. No, I don’t really need another hat or more socks. Can’t wait for the shoes though and wishing you the best of luck in these trying times.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a chat with the accountant, socks and hats will not be available until after January 1. But probably shortly after that.

Thanks, everyone!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely in for a pair of shoes and socks if I can get them pre may 23rd for 70.3 Chattanooga
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for a pair of socks... And shoes when available!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed I’ll take some socks now that I’m going to hopefully be healthy for awhile all the broken arts are fixed lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed, I think I asked this in a different thread, or via PM, but don't think I ever got a reply.
Is there a certain brand shoe that the last is shaped after?
Just thinking lots of us can fit certain brands but not others. Using myself as an example, Bont anything kills my feet for some reason, and Sworks too narrow. Wide Shimanos or lakes are my best bet for off the shelf.
Can you give us an idea how yours are shaped?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Well, we started out kinda with the idea of a wider forefoot kinda like a Shimano, but a narrower heel like a Specialized. We made a last, had some test shoes made and then went a couple iterations shortening the toes a couple times before we wound up with something we liked (don't worry, they are not short!). I find the forefoot to be quite roomy compared to the shoes I have which are specialized s-works road, pearl izumi tri-fly, bontrager ballista in both microfiber and knit, and Shimano TR9. Part of that is the last shape but it is also because the closure mechanism does not squeeze the shoe closed tigher from side-to-side like other shoes, but rather pulls the top of the upper down onto your foot. The heel feels very solid and locked in.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 18, 20 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Grant, thanks - you may have missed above, but I talked to my accountant and it definitely is best for me to wait until the new year before I start selling anything.

Hope you are well!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume these are 4 bolt compatible for the speed play zeros so there isn't a need for the shim.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't have the resources yet to make and stock twice as many skus and make twice as many molds for the carbon fiber soles so we are doing only a 3-bolt shoe. My testing indicates no measurable difference between using the shims vs. not using them.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. Just out of curiosity, what price range were you looking to set for the first round of shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around $400

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ed, I just signed up for updates on your website and eager to see more on product shipping this year! I thought I'd also check in on ST as well to see if socks were selling now that it's the new year. Any scoop you can share on that? -c
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [tripolar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for checking in! We are still on schedule for starting production in April.

I have not finished building up the online store yet to sell socks and hats, but thank you for the interest! It's in process.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the socks Aero tested also?!
I got size us 15 eu 50 feet... You got things in my size?
Last edited by: sixNine: Jan 18, 21 21:06
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [sixNine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done no aero testing on the socks... they're just really nice socks :)

Size 50, eh? The largest size we are making is 48. They run a bit long so..... The socks also are only officially advocated for up to size 48. I would guess they would be significantly small on a size 50 foot...

What are your go-to brands for those big feet??

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [tripolar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripolar wrote:
Hi Ed, I just signed up for updates on your website and eager to see more on product shipping this year! I thought I'd also check in on ST as well to see if socks were selling now that it's the new year. Any scoop you can share on that? -c

Socks and hats are now available at velovetta.com !!

edit - I meant NOW available... not "not available"... oops!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jan 19, 21 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For socks I just stretch them (rapha), but I also don't do aero socks because I hear they can't stretch if you want the benefits. Don't suppose Velovetta has plans for a size 50 shoe?!
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [sixNine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixNine wrote:
For socks I just stretch them (rapha), but I also don't do aero socks because I hear they can't stretch if you want the benefits. Don't suppose Velovetta has plans for a size 50 shoe?!

For a small manufacturer like us, doing size 50 is tough... we would have to spend many thousands of dollars on all the molds for that size (we need a lot more molds than a conventional shoe) and we might only sell 3 pairs of that size.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick update on the production schedule. Also hats & socks.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you guys know that things are actually being done, here are some photos of the first molds. Of course they are delayed - particularly the mold for the carbon sole is being delayed until 3/20 for now. So the story continues to be that progress is being made, just more slowly than anyone would like.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like an engine block. Lots of aluminum there. A fun math problem would be how many bikes could you produce (frames) for your size out of the combined molds for your shoes? Of course, there are wall thicknesses & different types of alloys to consider...rhetorical question really....

Serious questions here, so you have this endeavor you're involved in, so is there a drop date you're looking at for tentatively getting these in stores?
Or are you strictly going on line? Select stores only in your area? What is your distribution set up looking like (brick-mortar or online)? Made to order-direct? I'm sure you won't be making a ton of of them to sit in the warehouse as a startup. Unless you landed an investor to spill some serious dough into inventory stock...just curious what the game plan in. Also, there are some "knitted uppers" that are out, is that a future possible design update? I know the initial launch is the big thing but as someone involved in prototype testing for larger international companies of sporting equipment in the past--it does help to go on a long ride & think about the evolution process should this be a hit. But you likely already thought of that...good luck in your process, it sounds interesting learning all the ins & outs of shoe design manufacturing.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Feb 17, 21 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping we would be in production in May but delays from the carbon sole manufacturer make that look more like June now. Our plan is to be almost entirely online, with just one or two stores carrying them. I do have some ideas for both new shoes and improvements to the aero shoe for the next version, buy knit uppers are not high on my list. Not a huge fan, really. They're ok, but there are lots of tradeoffs for little benefit in my personal opinion.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you have built in a hook on the inside heel of the shoe or have an anchor point for rubber bands like my Specialized tri shoes—but is there a place to hold the heel up off the ground in T1? In T2 sometimes heels drag while running next to your spot—and picking up the bike isn’t an option always so for that reason I’m wondering about your heel lever & if that mech would be strong enough to withstand a little occasional dragging along a parking lot. Due to the downward / open lever looking like it adds length onto the back of the shoe.....
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVetta Aero Triathlon Bike Shoe Design Idea - Updated! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Not sure if you have built in a hook on the inside heel of the shoe or have an anchor point for rubber bands like my Specialized tri shoes—but is there a place to hold the heel up off the ground in T1? In T2 sometimes heels drag while running next to your spot—and picking up the bike isn’t an option always so for that reason I’m wondering about your heel lever & if that mech would be strong enough to withstand a little occasional dragging along a parking lot. Due to the downward / open lever looking like it adds length onto the back of the shoe.....

The heel loop is the perfect spot to use the rubber bands and it has worked very well for me in my testing. I would also say it is more important to use rubber bands with this shoe than with others because the heel lever is sticking out and will hit the ground more easily than with a normal shoe.

You want the heel lever to lay as open as possible to make sure it is as easy as possible to get your foot in the shoe, so I do not recommend using that to anchor the rubber band. The heel lever is quite strong and where it gets the most abuse is on the dismount. I've also done a lot of dismount testing. The material that the heel lever is made of is a strong, stiffer, tougher kind of TPU, but it still has those elastomer properties that make it able to bend a lot before it breaks.

Once or twice, even with the rubber bands, I did a mount and the heel lever flipped itself closed and I had to flip it back open to get my foot in. Only takes a second, but was surprising. The production version has incorporated a little "click" that you have to push past to get the shoe closed that should help prevent that from happening. It can also be used after you take your foot out of the shoe before you dismount to hold the lever in the closed position if you want, but it is not necessary.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Feb 19, 21 15:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next