Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes.
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/the-speeco-aero-breakaway-bar-is-ultrafast-and-ultra-weird/

discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes. [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish the UCI would just go back to allowing ITU-style clipons. As is riders are going to narrower bars to get aero at the expense of handling, climbing, sprinting, etc. The Speeco bar is a really innovative muddy-middle solution forced by the current rules.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes. [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truth be told I've visualized a bar like that for a few years now though I always envisioned placing one's hands in such a way that the brakes were instantly accessible. I like the idea personally. Don't see why they had to go with an integrated stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like these. I like riding in that position. Might have to give them a go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont get it, i ride in this position on normal bars all the time?

Just seems like it screws up your ability to grab the bar and forces you onto the hoods

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they look fine, neat solution. But like the Sphinx bar of old, they aren't long for the (legal) world.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes. [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
they look fine, neat solution. But like the Sphinx bar of old, they aren't long for the (legal) world.
I wonder on what basis they'd be banned?
I see two potential safety issues from an UCI point of view that they may focus on:
Too narrow thus reducing control - Is there an existing minimum bar width? If so, this bar should be fine as long as it satisfies that, and could be made wider while maintaining it's other features to satisfy width requirements.
Not enough knee clearance for the tops - This is what might put me off these. I don't want to move my hoods, and the longer surface for the forearms is accomplished here by shortening the stem 30-50mm from typical length. This will put knees pretty close to the tops for me and probably plenty others. That could be a safety concern, especially during sprints or unexpected evasive manoeuvers.

These are just drop bars with slightly different proportions. The UCI would have to dictate allowable proportions to ban them.
Quote Reply
Re: Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Track is dictated by distance from the front axle to the furthest grippable section, which is what "banned" the sphinx bars. Max width was 30 if my memory serves correctly, I believe that's why the London gb squad track drops flared out so much on the tops, then narrowed at the drops.

My guess is that the uci will soon take some more drastic road restrictions. I suspect they'll have some "safety" restrictions... Long computer mounts and the super tuck are probably also in danger (along with more clear sprinting rules)

Probably not until post Tokyo though, they generally have grace period of not changing anything close to the Olympics

Just my 2c

Last edited by: Morelock: Dec 3, 20 4:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been doing this for years with Zipp.

This thread needs pictures:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes. [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
I dont get it, i ride in this position on normal bars all the time?

Just seems like it screws up your ability to grab the bar and forces you onto the hoods

Customizable. You can have the tops at 36cm for when you're off the front but the drops can flare out to 42cm for descending or sprinting.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this solution. Wish these were around years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This rule is already on the books, so the UCI can just choose to start enforcing it
Position1.3.008 The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle
They have obviously been letting the invisible aerobar thing go, but I suspect they won't be keen on this because of the way it looks.
Quote Reply
Re: Q: Should I get aero bars or drop bars? Speeco: Yes. [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more i look, the more I think the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

You are sacrificing some of your other positions, and definitely hindering your sprint, both important things in a road race. You're also telegraphing to everyone "hey I want to make a breakaway" which might work in some very disorganized fields, but isn't going to take you terribly far... or at least not in the races you weren't going to pull away from the pack in anyways.

Would suck to be in a couple of man break, run it to the line and get outsprinted because your knees were in your bars.

Quote Reply