Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for good excel workout log ideas
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know that there is a workout log here, but I want my own to manipulate. I am curious about tracking totals. I've never done it before.

My thoughts: (open to other options or add-ons)
Bike: Overall total tracking and: trainer (t), outside (o), distance, avg. speed, avg. power, avg. hr and classify as easy, hard, intervals, etc.
Run: Overall total distance: treadmill (t), outside (o), distance, avg. speed, avg. hr and classify as easy, hard, intervals, etc.
Swimming: literally basic run of the mill totals and time and avg pace etc.

Anybody have something similar they want to share? Pics welcome!

*I did a search and didn't find anything. Kinda surprised this isn't posted on more as most triathletes are data whores and data junkies.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for good excel workout log ideas [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Yes, I know that there is a workout log here, but I want my own to manipulate. I am curious about tracking totals. I've never done it before.

My thoughts: (open to other options or add-ons)
Bike: Overall total tracking and: trainer (t), outside (o), distance, avg. speed, avg. power, avg. hr and classify as easy, hard, intervals, etc.
Run: Overall total distance: treadmill (t), outside (o), distance, avg. speed, avg. hr and classify as easy, hard, intervals, etc.
Swimming: literally basic run of the mill totals and time and avg pace etc.

Anybody have something similar they want to share? Pics welcome!

*I did a search and didn't find anything. Kinda surprised this isn't posted on more as most triathletes are data whores and data junkies.

Thanks!

I have a link in my sig to something I started, but I've switched over to Golden Cheetah. There's a learning curve, but GC is way more powerful than anything you could easily do in excel.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a training log chart in WKO5 that has like every metric for a workout. Since I am a WKO noob I sometimes paste into Excel where it is easier for me to do grouping, etc; like for instance grouping workouts by TIS bucket (1-3; 4,5; 6,7; 8-10); oops, I did too many anaerobic 10s this year; probably need to turn it down a notch. And I should try to get more aerobic 6,7 days (so more 90-120min rides vs 60min if possible).

I like having one massive wide table with all the workout data fields. But it has to come from somewhere automatically (like WKO5) - I am not manually maintaining that beast.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for good excel workout log ideas [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dabbled with it.

I used the free TP then pasted in the data it gave for free to Excel. My spreadsheet would spitout TSB, CTL, ATL. I also split it up by zone. So could see those same figures split out by zone as their contribution to the total and threw in some little charts for it.

It was too much to keep up with and am only in TP right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for good excel workout log ideas [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your responses. Appreciate it. I have just been logging into my phone, but wanted more cumulative to compare years with (just getting back into training).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Google Sheets, that way I can easily update it via any computer or my phone. Also I have tabs for my general set of workouts as well as my biweekly long bikes/runs. Attached is a screenshot of some of the metrics I track for my long rides (I also have graphs to go with these).

*Correction, for some reason the image isn't showing, feel free to pm me if you want to see it.

Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
Last edited by: WatchJoeTri: Dec 3, 20 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been tracking the last 10-15 years in an excel workbook.

I track frequency, duration & distance for swimming and running. For cycling I track those as well as kJ expended bc after all that's how much work you've done.
All duration is in minutes:seconds rounded down to the nearest :15. Distance is rounded down to the nearest .x0 mile. 6.06 miles is 6 miles. 57:53 is 57.75 in my excel log. Although on the run I typically will run to the nearest :15.

for swimming if I get in the pool to start my warm up at the 58:35 on the clock I round that up to the 59. If I get out at the 48:53 I round that down to 48 for my total swim duration.

then just sum those columns at the bottom and at the end of the year I make a simple pie chart with the % of time that each sport represents. I also track the # of hours of each training block. For the beginning of the season that could be 17 weeks for aerobic development, the first build may be 8 or whatever etc and I have a sum spot for total hours for each block and the year as a whole.

Since I don't use a calendar year for my training some years are > or < 52 weeks. This depends on when my last race is and when my off season ends. I know way to many people who are bothered by this. I think in training cycles not calendar years, ymmv.

I also have a sheet that has a column graph with each years hours and trend lines. It's pretty easy to correlate volume & race performances with this as well. No surprise that when I string 2-3 high(er) volume years together those years and the next seem to be the best race performances.

Of course I'm also old school in that I do each athletes season(s) planning (because some are on multi year cycles) in pencil in a spiral notebook.

ID if that qualifies as good or not, yet hope it helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 4, 20 6:30
Quote Reply