Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmill poll
Quote | Reply
The numbers are not very surprising actually. I have always claimed that triathletes are typically more accepting of treadmills than pure runners. Triathletes in general are more interested in gadgets and toys, and in my view a treadmill is part of that. So to have only 23% say they don't do treadmills is thus a reasonable number.

I though would say that simply running on a treadmill while efficient and useful, is nowhere close as engaging as running on Zwift on a treadmill. I am not talking about social group runs, but yes that is cool too, but the very good workouts. I have been doing the Monday Run Club and the Workout Wednesday runs for a while now, and more recently have run the Zwift Academy ones.

I run 70-80 miles each week somewhere around 10-12 runs and i do at least 2 speed workouts or races a week, and no more than 3. The rest of the running is mellow, and it has made me a much better runner at age 55. Basially running close to the speed I had in my late 20s.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a run trainer, pure and simple, no different than a bike trainer. A treadmill allows for an enormous amount of specificity and consistency that outdoors cant provide. It reduces the musculoskeletal load and allows for more training at very specific paces with the ability for greater concentration on those paces.

If you live in an area with long, flat dirt roads you can use, then theres argument against mine there, but most of us dont. Its simply not feasible to run on concrete all the time, the load in your system will inevitably limit your mileage and cause undue stress.

Last year i broke my 5th metatarsal out running, hit a random ledge in a split second lapse of focus over an hours run, took me out for months and i still have some issues (and probably always will). This would never have happened on a treadmill

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike trainer for me is much harder to do without Zwift. I have always found running on the treadmill as useful. To avoid injuries, running a 1/3 of the distance on the mill, a 1/3 on trails and at most 1/3 on asphalt etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of Zwift running (and walking) earlier this year (while recovering from surgery). While it was initially engaging, it kinda became "meh" after a couple months. Its just not quite the same as Zwifting on the bike. I actually prefer focusing on the workout while I'm on the TM without the distraction of Zwift. Maybe I'd feel different if I had a "controllable" treadmill...and I could "just run". But, I can't run "up a hill" in Zwift without changing the grade on the TM...my ethics won't let me do that. But, I got annoyed with constantly having to press the up/down keys...and, you never get the payback of downhills (:-).

In the end it wasn't worth it, and I cancelled my sub.

Asa noted in the other thread, I'm at 60mpw on 6 runs per week. I do a speed session (~5k), a tempo session (~10k), and a hill-bounding (~5k) session. Everything else is also mellow. At 52, my recovery pace today is faster than my first full-marry pace of 17 years ago.

I think the TM makes for a good mix with regular road running. I think its particularly good for summer and winter as a counterpoint to outside conditions. Its a respite from the HOT, slow paces of running outside in the summer...and gives a good opportunity to do some quality pace work. Alternatively in the winter, its relatively warm inside (esp, if you don't turn on a fan)...which I think has *some* value for hanging onto a tiny fraction of heat-acclimation.

I do find that too much TM running without *any* road running, makes returning to the road tough for a few weeks. Ups/Downs, road camber, etc...all have stress loads that the TM just can't quite replicate. So, I use it as a training tool, and only as part of the mix...and try to avoid exclusive use unless the weather is just shite.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, Zwift running is free and there is a free app that links Zwift to certain treadmills and controls the incline.

I do find the cycling side of Zwift much more engaging than running but still enjoy running with others.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-W- wrote:
FWIW, Zwift running is free and there is a free app that links Zwift to certain treadmills and controls the incline.

I do find the cycling side of Zwift much more engaging than running but still enjoy running with others.

Yes, I know. I had a subscription for the trainer. But, I didn't use that either...cuz I hate that thing. I'm not much of an indoor guy, really.

My TM is 20 years old. In theory it CAN be controlled. But, its the type that used audio frequencies from a headphone output to send signals to the TM---not Ant+ FEC or Bluetooth. I'm not interested in working that hard to make a device that can take those commands and convert them into the audio signals needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took your advice of a few years ago and got a lightly used Woodway treadmill at a very deep discount off a new one. Sure, the electronics are outdated, but with the Runn speed sensor and a heart monitor strap, and the Zwift footpod, I get all the numbers showing up on Zwift. The only thing lacking is a mode where the treadmill would increase speed or climb angle with the Zwift course.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good foot pod and a solid heartrate monitor / watch that can broadcast is all that is needed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always hated treadmills, until this past summer. I had shoulder surgery at the end of May and couldn't do squat outside, the surgeon and PT begrudgingly agreed a treadmill would be OK. I had bought a new Tacx Neo 2 right before surgery as I knew outdoor riding was done for the year. The trainer came with a free 30 days on Zwift, I finally tried a Zwift run right before I went under the knife, holy hell Zwift is a game changer for treadmilling.

I now do ~2/3 of my runs on the 'mill using Zwift. I had no intent of signing up for the 100/100 challenge this year but now, I'm enjoying running daily and not feeling beat up.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There wasn’t really an answer category for me. I’d love to have a treadmill, but no place to put it. That said, it’s moot, anyway, for me. I’m going in on the 15th to get my hip checked out. It’s just too painful to run... get in and out of the car, sit on a toilet, just get up off the floor!
GF Heidi would probably be on it a lot. I got her hooked on Zwift riding. I know she would treadmill run on it if we had one.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I had one - I ran on Zwift at the YMCA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on offer up trying to get one soon. Sole, Landice or a Precor I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised to see that so many people own a treadmill at 53% now (46% + 7%). I was expecting less, but I guess many people just throw one in their garage or something.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a pretty small sample size and I'm not really sure that's too indicative of much. To put a treadmill in the 'ol town house I'd have to move a car. I cut my gym membership so I train exclusively outside. Now, some time in the future when we have a bigger home I wouldn't mind a consolidated pain cave with one though.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
I took your advice of a few years ago and got a lightly used Woodway treadmill at a very deep discount off a new one. Sure, the electronics are outdated, but with the Runn speed sensor and a heart monitor strap, and the Zwift footpod, I get all the numbers showing up on Zwift. The only thing lacking is a mode where the treadmill would increase speed or climb angle with the Zwift course.

Lucky you!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well technically I own 2 treadmills - but I only use 1 of them.
I have a treadmill at my office pain cave (my boss has let me setup in an unused office in our building that I have a treadmill, bike trainer, and elliptical). Every lunch break I can get in a 45 minute workout that otherwise would not be possible, then after work rather than sit in rush hour traffic (not such an ordeal the past 9 months) I can get in another workout. I save time and can really control the workout. Weekends are solely outside workouts.
The treadmill at home is used by the wife for walking while on numerous zoom conference calls where she needs to be aware of what is going on but is not actively participating and my daughter who is training for her first half-marathon (Houston virtual).

Each treadmill was bought used off Craigslist for less than $200 each. I’m cheap/frugal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why this poll kept popping into my head. I have some thoughts.

My choice in the poll was "I own a treadmill and don't plan to buy a new one". For clarification, I own a treadmill that my wife uses for light running/walking. If I used it, then I don't think it would last more then a few runs. In that regards, I suppose I could have just stated I don't own one.

But, I do use treadmills (at my local Y), and I find them useful. But, even though the Y treadmills are available to use right now, I'm staying away because the setup doesn't meet what I would want for Covid safety protocol.

So now I'm without a suitable treadmill to use and I don't feel like dropping $2k or more (or even $1k) to get a new one. I'm choosing to wait out the pandemic until I can get back to using the treadmills at the gym on an as-needed basis. This is a huge bummer at the moment, because I'm bouncing back and forth between a couple of injuries and this is the exact situation where a treadmill is super helpful.

As for the zwift stuff.....That's not my bag. I haven't tried it, so I am not saying it's not great. It's just that of all the three disciplines of triathlon, running is the most simple to perform (from an equipment, time, etc standpoint). All I want to do is strap on my running shoes and go (treadmill, roads, trails, whatever). Maybe I'm missing out on this virtual experience, but I'm okay with that. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I ever set up my bike on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill poll [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try it at the gym when it is back to safe - it is super inspiring

trislayer wrote:
As for the zwift stuff.....That's not my bag. I haven't tried it, so I am not saying it's not great. It's just that of all the three disciplines of triathlon, running is the most simple to perform (from an equipment, time, etc standpoint). All I want to do is strap on my running shoes and go (treadmill, roads, trails, whatever). Maybe I'm missing out on this virtual experience, but I'm okay with that. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I ever set up my bike on a trainer.
Quote Reply