Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you actually run too slow for this challenge? I'm currently at about 28 mile/week and building. I run at about 10:30-11:00/mile. I can run every day at that pace, and double up on any given day with no stress. I just wondered if the run pace can be TOO easy? At that pace my Avg Hr is about 70% of max Hr. My 5k time is about 21:00.

Sorry if this question has already been asked somewhere in this thread.

Many thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those older participants will love this thread as many will end up on the sidelines unable to go.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, 10 to 11 minute miles is going to be a bit too slow for a 21 minute 5K runner for most runs, assuming you're running on relatively flat terrain (or terrain that's not much hiller / rougher than the course you ran the 21 minute 5K on). You might do some recovery runs at that speed, but the majority of your running should be a bit faster, even when you're building up mileage.

My favorite running book is Faster Road Racing by Pfitzinger. It includes schedules for building up mileage to a variety of levels, including 45 and 60 mpw, as well as a lot of guidance in terms of what pace to run at. It recommends doing most of your runs *while building up mileage* at general aerobic pace, which should be at 70 to 80% of MHR. You also probably want to do one workout per week with some kind of higher speed running, even if it's just strides. And your long run should be at closer to 80% heart rate - that should be a higher level of effort run.

In my opinion, if you're going to devote the time necessary to running 50mpw, you might as well get full benefit out of it, so I think it makes sense to reference a book like the one I mentioned above or something similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems a little slow. I guess we're of similar ability, I ran 20:50 in a 5km test earlier this year. I couldn't imagine running 11 min/mile, it just wouldn't feel right.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread in the spirit of the 100/100 and because I'm ramping up to the 50 mpw by Jan. 1st. Anyone else up for this tried and true OG run challenge? Read DD's first post then decide: Half assed or Full on Ass, your choice!
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been thinking about ideas for how to approach training this winter and glad this came up. 50 MPW for 16 weeks looks like it would yield great benefits for a number of reasons even coming from a running background
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The full-assed challenge includes 4x swim and 4x bike. My pool is still closed, and my shoulder is f'ed up, anyway. My road bike is in 1000 pieces. I'm sure I could find my TT bike, in some dark corner....but, it would probably bite me.

Can I just run even more? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure its 2xswim and 2xbike for 4 total
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnowChicken wrote:

TALK ABOUT HALF-ASSED!
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

TALK ABOUT HALF-ASSED!

haha

the swim and bike need to go into maintenance mode. If anything you could probably swim 3-4x for 1000-1500 easy during challenge and be <:05/500 slower.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
SnowChicken wrote:

TALK ABOUT HALF-ASSED!

haha

the swim and bike need to go into maintenance mode. If anything you could probably swim 3-4x for 1000-1500 easy during challenge and be <:05/500 slower.

Yeah, well. I'm the guy that did the 100/100 two years ago for both Swim and Run, simultaneously... along with Dr. TC.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used it and saw great results in the past and its always good to remind folks every so often of the basic premise that if you want to be a good runner you have to run, lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. Good Luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bringing this one to the top for another year. (Customarily, it gets reposted on Nov 1, but there’s probably never a bad time to read it beginning to end.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next