Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God bless that Spring Classics.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Prioritize the process is a beautiful message.

I have had to feel the pain of learning this so many times, but it really has been something I cling on to over the years. The process is where the peace is found for me. I have to do work every day on a good lot of things, but it is so rewarding. A lot of that was found for me after university when I had to become sober and learned that for someone wired the way I am, I have a real need to do specific work every day to just get through my own issues to grow.

It played out the same ways early in life even though I was unaware of it. My parents stuck me in a pool for swim clubs at 4 because the doctor said it would help with my asthma. I was so shite for a long time, but I loved it because I had friends who all worked with me every day. Eventually being good wasn't that rewarding even if it was nice for my ego. The build up to everything was always the tops.

The process of trying every day makes me whole. Every one of us does that differently, but I think its quite wonderful that we all seek it in our own ways. 50 watts at threshold or a million, people doing their best is inspiring.

Sorry for the rant. This is probably the most positive thread on the Twitch and it is a blast! :)

Thanks for sharing that :)

Also, hope you enjoyed the footie match yesterday. That wily old Jose.

Tri_Joeri wrote:
I completely agree! Everyone has to work hard to get where they are, doesn't matter which level that brings them too. And the process is what makes it fun. There will always be someone who's better, but I train to beat the me from a few days/weeks/months/years ago. If that also allows me to get a better result in any kind of competition then ofcourse that's the icing on the cake. As an engineer I'm a bit of a numbers guy so that also provides a lot of self motivation haha.
turdburgler wrote:
Oh and ps, VAM calculations say Tao did 6.3 w/kg for the whole 38 minutes under optimal conditions with a draft. This year was wild. There were comments about the Giro or Vuelta being weak, but I certainly do not see that.

Absolutely, I've enjoyed all three of them and the way they developed. Even though the field was arguably perhaps not as strong, I think the Vuelta was my favorite. All the uphill finishes and the battles. The Tour was too controlled mostly. The Giro has always been my favorite since it at least includes some time trialling (definitely not enough, we need a prologue, a +60k TTT and a +40k ITT at least), and it was also full of surprises.

3 months until the Omloop guys!

Amen to all that.

Also, I tried to get interested in CX, but some part of me just can't get into it. At least there's football/soccer to tide things over until Omloop.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnus Sheffield, a junior, just averaged 530 for 3k on the track, beating Phinney’s record. Think about that...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Magnus Sheffield, a junior, just averaged 530 for 3k on the track, beating Phinney’s record. Think about that...

Magnus is the perfect name for that kind of power.

For the rest of us, “The best effort is not concerned with results.”
(Or, prioritize the process.)
To live by.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

And he ain't just a flat track bully, having gotten Bronze last year at World's (where Simmons took the gold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a damn impressive ride especially at 74 kgs. Ganna's 4km IP record was done just shy of 610 watts for 4 minutes and change. Granted he's 81 kilos, but still those kind of outputs are eye watering.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
That's a damn impressive ride especially at 74 kgs. Ganna's 4km IP record was done just shy of 610 watts for 4 minutes and change. Granted he's 81 kilos, but still those kind of outputs are eye watering.

And a whole lotta hurting

Quote:
As Sheffield pushed a massive 60 x 15 gear around the velodrome at 110 rotations per minute, he felt his legs burn with lactic acid, and his arms became stiff in the bike’s aerodynamic extensions. And as Sheffield pushed harder, he noticed that his peripheral vision had become darkened.
“I felt like I was looking into a tunnel that was getting smaller and smaller, with my eyes only able to focus on the straight line in front of me,” Sheffield told VeloNews. “I was just trying to keep as clean a line as possible but those last two laps were really painful.”

I've always wished I had a miler's kick, being able to blast it when the legs are already soaked in lactic acid. Unfortunately, I'm just a slowtwitcher who can punch it in fifth gear but could never quite manage to find that additional gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And only 18 years old. How much more will he have in 4-5 years when more physically developed? 5%? 10?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
And only 18 years old. How much more will he have in 4-5 years when more physically developed? 5%? 10?

I, for one, welcome our new youthful cycling demi-gods. Glad the U.S. may have an entry on the men's side. (we're doing pretty well on the women's side already). Though maybe I shouldn't be slotting him next to Evenepoel, et al, just yet.

I thought that Magnus' Jr. Worlds performance was equally impressive as Quinn Simmons' and he'd slipped slightly under the radar. Maybe not anymore.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 23, 20 10:45
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other (unimportant) news, Zwift has given Thomas de Tank a wildcard invite for next week's UCI "E-racing" Championship. Rightfully so, I should add, given how Zwift told de Tank that he should find his calling as a pro. I'm sure de Tank won't be so amused to line up next to no namers who apparently could do 6 w/kg for 20 minutes and pack a 15-sec sprint at 15 w/kg average. Nor would be be so amused by the fact that his aerodynamic prowess will count for nought here... But at least Zwift is giving him a shot at the race.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...world-championships/

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, E3 Harelbeke (I mean E3 Saxo Bank) will have more climbing in next year's edition. Slow news day, I know.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the 40-something former quasi-elite triathlete who's famous for being a Zwift champion is even in the same zip code as de Tank at the end of this thing, I'm done with Zwift. :)

Though I agree that Zwift does not favor Thomas' skill set.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 1, 20 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
If the 40-something former quasi-elite triathlete who's famous for being a Zwift champion is even in the same zip code as de Tank at the end of this thing, I'm done with Zwift. :)

Though I agree that Zwift does not favor Thomas' skill set.

At least that dude is a former pro (as in, has IRL palmares). The 6 w/kg for 20 min + 15 w/kg for 15 sec dude is literally still a cat-3 (and was no where to be found in his last championship event, a cat-3 road race that favors climbers with a good kick), and he's ranked in the top 20 worldwide on Zwift.

Cue profanity-laden tirade...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
In other (unimportant) news, Zwift has given Thomas de Tank a wildcard invite for next week's UCI "E-racing" Championship. Rightfully so, I should add, given how Zwift told de Tank that he should find his calling as a pro. I'm sure de Tank won't be so amused to line up next to no namers who apparently could do 6 w/kg for 20 minutes and pack a 15-sec sprint at 15 w/kg average. Nor would be be so amused by the fact that his aerodynamic prowess will count for nought here... But at least Zwift is giving him a shot at the race.

I can not wait for this. It actually will be pretty fun I think.

Also, E3 Harelbeke (I mean E3 Saxo Bank) will have more climbing in next year's edition. Slow news day, I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:

I can not wait for this. It actually will be pretty fun I think.

In a way, I'm also going to spectate, but only in a perversely cynical manner of hoping the real pro cyclists kicking the snots out of Zwift Toughguys/gals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting. I certainly understand that the gamification thing is really important.

I just checked the road crew who are starting and there are some serious cyclists on the men and women's start list.

Campanaerts
Iserbyt
de Tank
Chaves
Uran
Pidcock
Bettiol
Craddock
Cory Williams too!

Iserbyr and Pidcock are crossing right now so I am assuming that hour long big power with sprint starts, huge surges above threshold are going to suit them at this time of year. I'm really curious to see how they go.

van Vleuten
van de Breggen
Moolman Pasio (we know she can Zwift race well)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The process is where the peace is found for me"Nice quote TB, understood. Slaughtering yourself for team mates has a peacefulness. can't all be stars, but the simple recognition of a good effort is thanks enough. Nowhere without enjoying the process first.

Saw the thread pop back up, just wanted to extend thanks for the collective kicking ass as you all do,
year by year. By far my favorite thread on the intrawebs. Saying more with less. Beauty.

Thanks all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’d think the CX guys have a better shot than Tank or Campanaerts. Pidcock could do very well and add to his e-palmares.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Belgian selection is all messed up again, they're saying Campenaerts is being backed as the "leader" which makes no sense. Ok he might do good sustained power and might be one of the pro's with the most Zwift experience next to Thomas de Gendt, but when you have Lionel Vujasin in the team, you back that guy. He's on the best e-Racing team and wins quite some Zwift Pro races.. He's our national Zwift champ 2019, CVR world cup winner 2018 and is the Wallonia (French speaking part of Belgium) CX champ of 2015,2016,2017 and the Liege regional CX champ of 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019.. Great engine, powerful kick/sprint. Makes no sense not to back him as the leader.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
The Belgian selection is all messed up again, they're saying Campenaerts is being backed as the "leader" which makes no sense. Ok he might do good sustained power and might be one of the pro's with the most Zwift experience next to Thomas de Gendt, but when you have Lionel Vujasin in the team, you back that guy. He's on the best e-Racing team and wins quite some Zwift Pro races.. He's our national Zwift champ 2019, CVR world cup winner 2018 and is the Wallonia (French speaking part of Belgium) CX champ of 2015,2016,2017 and the Liege regional CX champ of 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019.. Great engine, powerful kick/sprint. Makes no sense not to back him as the leader.

Well, Iserbyt is the reigning European CX champ and is on form. IRL palmares > Zwift palmares.

Also, ye of little faith, that explanation (emphasis added) surely isnt necessary here :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Add in to that a name like that his on this forum he clearly should be backed. :) In all seriousness though, he looks to be a class rider and clearly can Zwift. There is no way they are really backing Campanaerts are they? I really like that guy, but I just am not seeing that rationale unless its a bluff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also true, Eli has all the physical traits to do well but is he familiar enough with Zwift and all of the power-ups , when and how to use them?

Haha I didn't mean anything with that but I thought most people would understand the champ of Liège part but might not get what Wallonia stands for 😋

@Turdburgler: definitely, the name alone, they should give him the WC jersey right away 😂 but I agree it can't be serious that Campenaerts is their pick when you have a guy that can do 1000W for 30" at 70kg(on his Zwift power profile), and close to it multiple times
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Dec 2, 20 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
"The process is where the peace is found for me"Nice quote TB, understood. Slaughtering yourself for team mates has a peacefulness. can't all be stars, but the simple recognition of a good effort is thanks enough. Nowhere without enjoying the process first.

Saw the thread pop back up, just wanted to extend thanks for the collective kicking ass as you all do,
year by year. By far my favorite thread on the intrawebs. Saying more with less. Beauty.

Thanks all.

yes - need the "like" button
thanks ya'll
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
I've never heard of Lionel Vujasin and I would have zero interest in following this race if he were the leader (no disrespect but I have just never heard of him regardless of whether he's any good or not). I'm interested in Campenaerts and de Ghent and Iserbyt and other big names so I want one of them to be our main guy. I should also say I don't take Zwift racing (or other platforms) even remotely serious - it's one thing to push hard and use some videogame thingies but winning real bikes races is a whole different thing. (And FYI I'm Flemish, so Belgian, so I'd be cheering for the big names among the belgians).
Last edited by: Benv: Dec 2, 20 19:43
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Zwift should give TdG his own race series and he gets to invite who races and they get points for panache and humour and doing wacky stuff.

Interesting transfers going on with UAE and Israel flashing some cash it appears.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I think Zwift should give TdG his own race series and he gets to invite who races and they get points for panache and humour and doing wacky stuff.

Could do it like a wacky points/elimination race kind of deal on a circuit where the last guy through the intermediate sprint has to drink a Gulden Draak, last guy under the KOM arch has to drink a Delirium Tremens, etc. Do a few circuits of that and see how it pans out. Lots of room for sponsorship opportunities from Belgian breweries, and seems like the kind of the De Tank could excel at.
Quote Reply

Prev Next