Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the fairing covering the side of the pulleys closest to the (expected) disc wheel more than the exposed outer is an odd choice.

Pretty colors though

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“The original Hyper AERO System has been proven at KONA with a 7th place finish (Braden Currie).”

Well, if that isn’t proof, I don’t know what is!! Lol. Minor Detail though, if anyone believe this actually proves anything.....his bike split was ~23rd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the new designs look pretty badass to me. Especially compared to the alternatives.
Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren't taking online orders right now..........but Raltech. Lol. Literally half the cost, been around for ages.
Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
~23rd.

Yeah, but the aero savings let him save up for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
They aren't taking online orders right now...

Their online shop is certainly working from my computer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not even a CFD estimate of aero savings?

Just cover the pulleys and call it "aero?"
Last edited by: trail: Dec 1, 20 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to getting one delivered so my bike leg is as fast as 7th (or I'll take 23rd) in Kona.

Not sure how it's saving an hour or so, but that like under $5 a minute saving so I'll take it. Bargain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it could be aero certainly... but I'm pretty sure you want to be fully shielding the *outside* of the setup.

Berner started the covers for Lance/Fabian back in the day... then Vision had it on their Metron set. Raltech as mentioned and a couple of others as well.

If you have a SRAM Red derailleur you can download a file on Thingiverse and print one off yourself. This guy's looks like what you would actually "want" out of a cover.

Last edited by: Morelock: Dec 1, 20 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sommer wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
They aren't taking online orders right now...

Their online shop is certainly working from my computer

Check the print on the right side of the Raltech page:
Online ordering is currently unavailable as we are temporarily unable to service demand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raltech has been defunct for years at this point

Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
it could be aero certainly... but I'm pretty sure you want to be fully shielding the *outside* of the setup.

Berner started the covers for Lance/Fabian back in the day... then Vision had it on their Metron set. Raltech as mentioned and a couple of others as well.

If you have a SRAM Red derailleur you can download a file on Thingiverse and print one off yourself. This guy's looks like what you would actually "want" out of a cover.

That looks fun. I'll print it out and put it on our list to aero test in the next few weeks.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After some wind tunnel testing, it was determine that the front of the System needed to be "open" rather than having a "nose cone" to be as aerodynamic as possible. Simply meaning, that printed part could be a bit more aero if they eliminated that leading edge cover/cone.

Morelock wrote:

http://www.slfmotion.com
Instagram - @SLFMotion
Quote Reply
Re: New SLF Evo Speed and Aero Pulleys [superx421] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting, you would think the spinning upper jockey wheel would be turbulent and something you wanted shielded.
But if it was tested it certainly could be better exposed, aero is a fickle mistress.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My initial thoughts EXACTLY...which is why that was my first run haha. Eliminated that "nose cone" and there was a notable (minute of course in the grand scheme of things...I get it...not trying to pass anything over here haha) difference in the numbers. SO, the EVO AERO System has an open front end :-)

Morelock wrote:
interesting, you would think the spinning upper jockey wheel would be turbulent and something you wanted shielded.
But if it was tested it certainly could be better exposed, aero is a fickle mistress.

http://www.slfmotion.com
Instagram - @SLFMotion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks sweet!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are great moments of discovery, when something that you think has to make sense turns out to be wrong :D

I suspect you're the first to actually do much (any possibly) real aero testing on a system though. Berner and everyone else that has made one (maybe excluding Vision) likely didn't have the budget (or drive) to actual test it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Not even a CFD estimate of aero savings?

Just cover the pulleys and call it "aero?"

Yes, and add $600. Ignore any real performance upgrade and pay attention to the marketing. If not you're doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
superx421 wrote:
My initial thoughts EXACTLY...which is why that was my first run haha. Eliminated that "nose cone" and there was a notable (minute of course in the grand scheme of things...I get it...not trying to pass anything over here haha) difference in the numbers. SO, the EVO AERO System has an open front end :-)

Morelock wrote:

That's pretty cool. Can you share any of the results or protocol? Like, bike in wind tunnel or only the rear derailleur mounted on something? Zero degree yaw or some yaw sweep? What kind of difference did you see from e.g. the non-aero to the aero version (if that was tested)?

Would be cool to hear, the only data I remember having heard about was some testing Josh Portner talked about a long time ago.
Quote Reply